• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Derrick01

Banned
The developers are not anonymous and should not suffer 'credibility issues', but there you go again just flat out ignoring whatever doesn't fit your agenda.

Seriously, 58 minutes 25 seconds in, listen...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/joystream-hitman-abolution-with-io-interactives-tore-blystad-a/

I'm not talking about the developers I'm talking about the anonymous guy who's getting off on going after the PC Gamer reviewer with pretty BS sounding statements. You know at least Francis put his name on what he said so I could look back and see if I tend to agree with him, and his 55 to Max Payne and statements about the Hitman franchise say that I do tend to agree.

I'm not talking about the developers I'm talking about the anonymous guy who's getting off on going after the PC Gamer reviewer with pretty BS sounding statements. You know at least Francis put his name on what he said so I could look back and see if I tend to agree with him, and his 55 to Max Payne and statements about the Hitman franchise say that I do tend to agree.

I know you weren't referencing developers there, but you questioned the 50 levels thing again, which they explain quite clearly.

How do you feel about Diablo 3 btw? Because if he gave that a 90 despite the horrific streamlining and dumbing down on show, I don't see how someone of your classical tastes can agree.

Derrick01

Banned
I know you weren't referencing developers there, but you questioned the 50 levels thing again, which they explain quite clearly.

How do you feel about Diablo 3 btw? Because if he gave that a 90 despite the horrific streamlining and dumbing down on show, I don't see how someone of your classical tastes can agree.

I don't care about diablo or the loot whore genre at all. I'm not sure how you can dumb something down that revolves around mashing the hell out of your mouse anyway.

DukeBobby said:
Do you agree with the 93 he gave to Mass Effect 3?

Nope. I don't trust PC Gamer at all when it comes to Bioware games. I don't know what it is with them or if they have some agreement with EA but they were also responsible for that DA2 review calling it the best RPG combat ever and they also had ME2 in their top 10-20 PC games of all time I think. They're not rational when it comes to Bioware.

DukeBobby

Do you agree with the 93 he gave to Mass Effect 3?

diffusionx

Gold Member
They should have made a new IP then. Sequels don't have the luxury of not being compared against their predecessors and it's even worse when it's a series that has at least 1 legendary game in it.

It doesn't work like that.

I played through about 2/3rds of Conviction - I think it sucks. Ubi could've made it its own IP, but it doesn't really matter. The game would still suck and there's still no guarantee we would get a "real Splinter Cell." Likewise with this.

Absolution is what we got. If it sucks, it sucks, but there's no real Hitman around the corner to save us.

Regarding review scores, this is why we have multiple reviews. Maybe Absolution is a good game on its own merits - some people will review it like that. Maybe Absolution is a terrible Hitman - some people will review it like that. There's no perfect way to handle this.

I don't care about diablo or the loot whore genre at all. I'm not sure how you can dumb something down that revolves around mashing the hell out of your mouse anyway.

Nope. I don't trust PC Gamer at all when it comes to Bioware games. I don't know what it is with them or if they have some agreement with EA but they were also responsible for that DA2 review calling it the best RPG combat ever and they also had ME2 in their top 10-20 PC games of all time I think. They're not rational when it comes to Bioware.

Haha, oh man I give up. By the same logic maybe an IO dev stole his girlfriend after being invited to the launch party for Blood Money...

Derrick01

Banned
Haha, oh man I give up. By the same logic maybe an IO dev stole his girlfriend after being invited to the launch party for Blood Money...

He didn't review all of the Bioware games for them so that's why I said PCG as a whole is weird with Bioware. I mean calling DA2 a masterpiece doesn't strike you as something suspicious?

DukeBobby

I still can't believe all of this negativity is coming off the back of ONE bad review. I saw people in the last thread who were genuinely excited about the game, and as soon the review hit, they were baying for IO's blood. Seriously, guys? (I'm not just seeing this on GAF)

To be honest, it's all a bit pathetic.

I still can't believe all of this negativity is coming off the back of ONE bad review. I saw people in the last thread who were genuinely excited about the game, and as soon the review hit, they were baying for IO's blood. Seriously, guys? (I'm not just seeing this on GAF)

Hey man, I'm still excited. Hold me!

TBH I think it happens with most games these days, I just don't follow many OTs to pick up on it.

Derrick has wormed his way into their minds. He has assumed total control.

Anyways, great OT, dude! I'm so excited. Just one more week. I'll probably be replaying the sniper challenge everyday till then. I'm pumped for this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
That's a pretty big fallacy right there. Yeah I want to hate the next game in one of my favorite franchises.

You guys are also really hanging on to the 10 feet thing literally. It's pretty clear that it's an exaggeration meaning very tiny areas don't count as levels.

You know you are cynical as hell and tend to shit on everything. Which is fine, as i enjoy your posts and your overcritical analysis of games. Don't misconstrued my opinion as a personal attack either as I really do like your posts. But very rarely do you take things at face value and judge it based on its own merits. I'm looking forward to Hitman, as it's a phenomenal series, and think absolution will be a great addition. But with that said, I'm not ignorant to how devs. over promise and under deliver either. I would be a little more on the fence myself, if I hadn't prepurchased for $36 on GMG.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick has wormed his way into their minds. He has assumed total control.

Anyways, great OT, dude! I'm so excited. Just one more week. I'll probably be replaying the sniper challenge everyday till then. I'm pumped for this.

If anything it was Francis who did it. I've been a vocal critic since the days we were shopping 47 onto the Conviction cover and no one really cared enough back then.

derFeef

If anything it was Francis who did it. I've been a vocal critic since the days we were shopping 47 onto the Conviction cover and no one really cared enough back then.

What? No one cared? I would say that the majority was pretty negative until the Chinatown demo was shown.
The few positive/optimist people are pretty outnumbered here.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's weird that there's so much talk about the checkpointing when it's disabled entirely on higher difficulties. I'm planning on starting on Expert and then doing a Purist run, so I won't see the mechanic at all for awhile. I doubt any reviews are going to play above normal, which sucks.

What? No one cared? I would say that the majority was pretty negative until the Chinatown demo was shown.
The few positive/optimist people are pretty outnumbered here.

The Hitman community is rather small as well. Somehow the franchise has never been that popular. The first game was not that good (though I enjoyed it very much), the second game was received as too difficult/hardcore, the third was okay but had some returning missions. Blood Money was basically the first Hitman game that caught the attention of the general public.

At the same time the franchise is (heavily) overshadowed by AC and SC.

Socreges

Banned
lol @ this section

PC Only Perks:
Increased texture resolution,
Increased gesture resolution
Higher shadow Map resolution.
Full mouse and key support
Optimised PC user interface
Optimised for low and high end PCs
Steamworks integration including Steam cloud saves / achievements

Derrick01

Banned
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/13/w...m_campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/joystiq+(Joystiq)

This guy plays the PC version with a controller.

This is not 15FPS.

I still think that part of the PC Gamer review was misinterpreted. Maybe it wasn't but I remember seeing they said they tested the game on 3 PCs and 2 of them got that really bad performance. They didn't say anything about the third but I assumed that meant it ran fine, if it didn't then I don't know how they reviewed the game.

If there's anyone I have faith in at all in this whole fiasco it's Nixxes. They are the toppest of the top notch PC porting studios.

I still think that part of the PC Gamer review was misinterpreted. Maybe it wasn't but I remember seeing they said they tested the game on 3 PCs and 2 of them got that really bad performance. They didn't say anything about the third but I assumed that meant it ran fine, if it didn't then I don't know how they reviewed the game.

If there's anyone I have faith in at all in this whole fiasco it's Nixxes. They are the toppest of the top notch PC porting studios.

True.

Maybe too much bloom, but graphics sure look amazing.

derFeef

The lack of backtracking among other things has killed the sandbox nature of this game. No longer do we have a level to explore and carefully plan the perfect assassination. Instead most of the missions are splinter cell levels.

Can you explain this? How would you backtrack in BM?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just watched the Joystiq 20-minute prologue, it doesn't look half bad.

AI is dumb as bricks though and the game seems pretty much on rails, it basically slaps you in the face with how you are supposed to handle each situation and there is pretty straightforward level progression. But I can only asume that's because it's basically the tutorial level.

Didn't like the instant-outfit switch in/after cutscenes though. Noticed the rubber duck in the bathroom, nice detail.

Interfectum

Can you explain this? How would you backtrack in BM?

The levels in BM are huge sandboxes so you could go anywhere at any time.

Seems to me they are saying in Absolution since the levels are broken up into chunks that once you pass a certain point you can't go back... for example if you are in a hotel and you go up to the second floor you cannot go back to the first floor. In a level like that in BM you could go back if you wanted.

I have the PC version of Sniper Challenge and it runs great, although it doesn't have all the fancy DX11 features of the final game. Only thing I really want an option for is the bloom, it looks so obnoxious and ruins the aesthetic for me a lot of the time.
There might be some weird issues pre-launch, but I would be surprised if this isn't an excellent pc port.

Socreges

Banned
Could someone please just fibre wire Derrick already

360 owner?
Not even sure how to reply to this. Yes, I own a 360. I'd also much prefer to play Absolution on my PC (which I might have built/completed by December).

Stuff like that just gives me a laugh. Faithful PC gamers too often come across as insecure (for the lack of attention/love that their system of choice receives) and try too hard.

DukeBobby

Just watched the Joystiq 20-minute prologue, it doesn't look half bad.

AI is dumb as bricks though and the game seems pretty much on rails, it basically slaps you in the face with how you are supposed to handle each situation. But I can only asume that's because it's basically the tutorial level.

Didn't like the instant-outfit switch in/after cutscenes though. Noticed the rubber duck in the bathroom, nice detail.

From what I've seen in other videos, the AI is anything but dumb. In fact, the enemies look a little bit too relentless, as they can see through your disguises really easily. They can also spot you from quite far away.

It looks to be an improvement on Blood Money's AI at least (mind you, this is not difficult to accomplish).

Interfectum

Could someone please just fibre wire Derrick already

Not even sure how to reply to this. Yes, I own a 360. I'd also much prefer to play Absolution on my PC (which I might have built/completed by December).

Stuff like that just gives me a laugh. Faithful PC gamers too often come across as insecure (for the lack of attention/love that their system of choice receives) and try too hard.

Lifted it from an older announcement:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/14/h...mans-suit-looks-ten-times-more-awesome-on-pc/

Didn't think it seemed that insecure.

The levels in BM are huge sandboxes so you could go anywhere at any time.

Seems to me they are saying in Absolution since the levels are broken up into chunks that once you pass a certain point you can't go back... for example if you are in a hotel and you go up to the second floor you cannot go back to the first floor. In a level like that in BM you could go back if you wanted.

True, but it sounds like they've designed the game with that in mind, so you still have a sandbox to plan out your kills within that smaller area, and then you move to a new area and repeat - it's not like you leave a target behind or anything.

Not to mention huge sandbox is a bit misleading in a lot of circumstances when discussing BM: A New Life, Dance with the Devil, You Better Watch Out.. none stand out as HUGE in my mind.

The reason for not going back is also a technical one rather than them thinking it is a great idea, and do also say they are looking to improve that in the future (i.e. next gen).

Phinor

That's the insane part ie. how quickly negative things spread all over the Internet these days. The game has been getting positive reviews for a while and then gets one negative review from PC Gamer. Few days later that's the only thing you hear about this game. Just yesterday I was reading hotukdeals.com and spotted a Hitman deal. Among the first few comments someone said that the game has been getting poor reviews, don't bother. Poor reviews, indicating that a huge portion of reviews have been negative so far, when in fact there has been exactly one negative review.

RevDM

Banned
In one of the YT videos I just watched, 47 walks INTO a guard in a 'secure' area while in crouch mode and nothing happened.

justjim89

In one of the YT videos I just watched, 47 walks INTO a guard in a 'secure' area while in crouch mode and nothing happened.

Any idea what difficulty the guy is playing on? On one hand, I love the idea that guards won't just instantly open fire on you the moment you arouse suspicion. That's one of the things I really hate about this series. Even in Blood Money, in You Better Watch Out, if you so much as touch the tape while dressed as a guard, they instantly open fire on you. It's a bit absurd. If it's true that most guards will just try and arrest you in this game I'll be happy.

Socreges

Banned
Lifted it from an older announcement:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/14/h...mans-suit-looks-ten-times-more-awesome-on-pc/

Didn't think it seemed that insecure.
See, that's kinda funny. I thought it might be just lifted from another site, but thought 'No way they'd have it as "Perks"' considering some of those listed are just differences'. So it turns out you copy/pasted it, but changed "Features" to "Perks" for whatever reason. :p

Also, who's that in the banner:

http://i.minus.com/j8vXXTTSxqQzP.jpg

Top Bottom