• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Bioshock 4? And we should go back to Rapture...

The epilogue of Infinite (not to mention its DLCs) served as a natural coda for the series as a whole. To make another one without at least addressing the Elizabeth/parallel universe stuff would probably be a step back, at least story-wise.

It's gonna be spiritual successors, like the aforementioned Prey reboot, that'll carry the series' torch on.

edit: Not that I think another BioShock is out of the cards; after all, Halo 4 was a thing.

Eusis

I'd definitely be down for something that follows it and is either a spiritual successor or an FF/DQ style unconnected followup that just recycles the name and some shared themes/icons. I would want it to be a more open ended RPG adventure however, I wouldn't want a typical open world but would want a labyrinth to go through and open more of akin to Metroid. Which the first game SORT OF WAS but was more about distinct levels.

Or hell, just have elements of that, just as long as it isn't a completely linear, railroaded shooter again.

SHODANsuitor

Neo Member
It is hard to grasp another game set in the Bioshock universe without Ken Levine at the helm. And I cannot imagine how a team would even approach a sequel to Infinite with its weird multiverse plot.

At the very least, we are guaranteed a set of Shock-like games in the near future. System Shock Remake, Prey, and down the line...System Shock 3.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Between 1, 2, Infinites ending sequence and 2 part DLC, the Rapture dickriding is enough IMO.

New locale pls.

MartyStu

Not sure I actually want another Bioshock game. And this comes from someone who liked Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite.

Gator86

The epilogue of Infinite (not to mention its DLCs) served as a natural coda for the series as a whole. To make another one without at least addressing the Elizabeth/parallel universe stuff would probably be a step back, at least story-wise.

It's gonna be spiritual successors, like the aforementioned Prey reboot, that'll carry the series' torch on.

edit: Not that I think another BioShock is out of the cards; after all, Halo 4 was a thing.

Everything about the Infinite DLC is trash. Burn it with fire and pretend it never happened.

Van Bur3n

I don't think we need another Bioshock, let alone one that takes place in Rapture again. I feel it would never live up to the original. We already have two that don't as it is.

I think Infinite butchered it enough as it is with the nonsensical crap it added to the universe.

Joeku

Everything about the Infinite DLC is trash. Burn it with fire and pretend it never happened.

Levine already set fire to the house with Infinite. The DLC was just him taking a sledgehammer to what was still standing.

There is really nothing left.

Abelard

Levine already set fire to the house with Infinite. The DLC was just him taking a sledgehammer to what was still standing.

There is really nothing left.

Y'know I never bothered looking up user reactions to the Infinite DLC, at that point I was just deflated from the franchise. Did people hate the weird way they tried to connect everything as much as I did? Or is this just a fringe opinion and people actually think its the redemption of Infinite?

Widge

Space
Deep rainforest
Tundra
Desert
Deep inside the earth

Plenty of places to go. Part of the experience of Bioshock is the surprise and mystery. We've all lived Rapture, time to let it go.

Joeku

Y'know I never bothered looking up user reactions to the Infinite DLC, at that point I was just deflated from the franchise. Did people hate the weird way they tried to connect everything as much as I did? Or is this just a fringe opinion and people actually think its the redemption of Infinite?

Generally, yeah. I'm actually the weird one for really liking the DLC, because it kind of was just an interactive apology for what Infinite did.

But it damn sure was the final piece of Levine BioShock. A Bioshock 4 would we be so effing strange at this point. I'm glad we're getting things akin to it, like Dishonored and Prey, though. The universe is just kinda done.

No. No more rapture. The game didn't even warrant a second title, let alone a 3rd. The loose ends were tied. It should have been a one off thing, not counting infinite.

Columbia > Rapture

But the best thing would be a new setting. They are really creative with their settings and I want to see more crazy stuff.

AgeEighty

The last Bioshock game set in Rapture was 7 years ago though...
And I like the formula especially because 2KMarin is in charge. Bioshock 2 had the best gameplay of the series.

They really sucked at doing justice to a BioShock story, though. And that was the main draw of the series for me.

Think rapture is a miss at this point. We've seen the aftermath of its fall and any game showing the moments before the fall wouldn't work since all the main players of the story have had their arc finished off to some degree.
Honestly don't know where they should go because another city in a weird environment would feel gimmicky and in regards to themes, couldn't say. Would argue they should keep the setting in the 1950s or earlier.

I would love to see another Bioshock, but I think they should move on from Rapture and Columbia, and come up with something new. I would also be pretty interested to see what theme they try to tackle, since we have already had:

Bioshock: Capitalism/Objectivism
Bioshock 2: Communism/Collectivism
Bioshock Infinite: American Exceptionalism

Personally I would love to see a sequel to have religion as a theme. They could take some influence from Hellstrom's Hive and set it in a large unground community, but one that is based on a scientology like cult. Not only would the theme give them a lot to work with, but they could also be really creative with the setting. They could have the city be inspired by the 50's view of the world of tomorrow, with an almost Fallout style aesthetic (pre war). To contrast with the city, the player could also have to travel through crystal cave systems, underground rivers and magma chambers etc.

Edit: Also think The Wicker Man for the plot.

ed783c984228317b6bb25b85117776e6.jpg

DocSeuss

They really sucked at doing justice to a BioShock story, though. And that was the main draw of the series for me.

You kidding? Bioshock 2 is a brilliant counterpoint to the first Bioshock. It's a thorough, humanist response to the simplistic arguments Bioshock put forward.

Joeku

You kidding? Bioshock 2 is a brilliant counterpoint to the first Bioshock. It's a thorough, humanist response to the simplistic arguments Bioshock put forward.

Bioshock 2 is the best, most unnecessary sequel ever, and IIRC especially corrected Bioshock 1's final act problems. The closing hours of 2 are crazy.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Leave Rapture alone. I agree it's the best, but Bioshock 1, Minervas Den and Buried at Sea were the perfect amount of Rapture.

Bioshock 2 is there for excess. But unneeded.

Let's go somewhere new.

TheYanger

I don't get the desire to return to rapture. Yeah, it was amazing, but it was also done. The stuff that made rapture in Bioshock one so awe-inspiring involved the mystery and discovery of it all. I mean, say what you want about Infinite and how terrible it is etc, but Columbia was intriguing in a way that Bioshock 2 NEVER was, as much as B2 was a fantastic fucking game (way better than it had any right to be). I think it's much more important to tonally hit Bioshock than it is to literally be in Rapture, and a large part of the tone is that same discovery I mentioned before.

Fbh

If they announced a new Bioshock and it's back to Rapture then I'd be pretty dissapointed.

Don't take me wrong, I think rapture is awesome and to this day one of the coolest locations in a videogame. But I'd really like to see something new.
Infinite had its issue (I personally still loved it though) but Columbia wasn't one of them, in fact most people that don't like the game still say they enjoyed the intro when you arrive in the city.

Give me a city underground or a city on the moon.

Hesemonni

Banned
I've had enough of Rapture personally. New setting please.

"There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city."

It's weird, because Take-Two announced a few years back (around when the Irrational layoffs happened) that Bioshock would continue at 2K Marin. And IIRC that came after Marin was heavily downsized. I'm unclear if 2K Marin is even still a thing, or if it got absorbed into Hangar 13.

As for the setting of a potential Bioshock 4, my preference would be something new. Rapture for sure has been bled dry, and other games like SOMA have also done the "bottom-of-the-ocean" theme. I'd be okay with Columbia getting another shot, though, and perhaps live up to the initial potential of Bioshock Infinite (which ended up being super linear and less ambitious from a game design standpoint).

Space is the next frontier
Eh, I feel like with Prey this year and with two System Shock games in the works, I'm not sure where a "Bioshock in space" really fits in. Rapture and Columbia really stood out by how unique their respective settings were, and I think if they take the Bioshock series somewhere else that's something that they'd really have to strive for.

Pilgrimzero

A game about the ignorant masses who vote against their own best interests and their orange colored supreme leader.

Set in a giant golden archeology no one leaves or enters.

It's weird, because Take-Two announced a few years back (around when the Irrational layoffs happened) that Bioshock would continue at 2K Marin. And IIRC that came after Marin was heavily downsized. I'm unclear if 2K Marin is even still a thing, or if it got absorbed into Hangar 13.

As for the setting of a potential Bioshock 4, my preference would be something new. Rapture for sure has been bled dry, and other games like SOMA have also done the "bottom-of-the-ocean" theme. I'd be okay with Columbia getting another shot, though, and perhaps live up to the initial potential of Bioshock Infinite (which ended up being super linear and less ambitious from a game design standpoint).

Eh, I feel like with Prey this year and with two System Shock games in the works, I'm not sure where a "Bioshock in space" really fits in. Rapture and Columbia really stood out by how unique their respective settings were, and I think if they take the Bioshock series somewhere else that's something that they'd really have to strive for.

Yeah, but space in the 50s would feel nothing like prey.

Antarctica, perhaps. An underground city in the middle of the continent.

IMO a return to Rapture could be interesting if the gameplay was straight horror and time had turned the city into something like the Titanic wreck.

You could do an alternate reality on Earth. Like Wolfenstein is doing, or even just a post apocalyptic, although that may be hard with the themes of Bioshock.

Rapture is one of the best locations ever created for a videogame but we've had 2 games and 2 meaty dlcs there, enough is enough.
All of the Rapture stories that matter have been told.

The franchise needs a fresh start, no connections to the previous games.

zerotol

Banned
Make it a prequel golf game starring Andrew Ryan.

Actually, a proper Bioshock game like the first two. Get Jordan Thomas back on board.

theecakee

I was just thinking about this, I feel like if it was true that 2K is working on a new one when they said they were in like 2015 then it has to be announced sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom