• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Publishing (Edge/PC Gamer/etc) freelance writer says they alter reviews, more

Acosta

This is sad to watch, I'm going to stop now.

The only thing this is going to achieve is hurting a lot of people, including himself when he realize the supreme stupidity of what he is doing.

"Rich Stanton ‏@RichStanton

bmart_12: @RichStanton Any info to spill on Cod reviews/ad pressure?”

Rich Stanton ‏: Actually, no. COD always earned the reviews, good series"

What? What has Edge given CoD in the past? Anything above an 8 is bullshit.

This may surprise you, but reviewers generally like CoD.

They may think it is getting stale, but the series' recent (last four years) emphasis on speed and constant activity makes it ideal to play in a short burst.

MormaPope

Banned
CoD4 9
CoD:WaW 6
CoD3 7
btw

Of all the 9's CoD has gotten from Edge, CoD 4 is the most deserving one, MW2 and MW3 are very far from being a "9/10" type of game.

This may surprise you, but reviewers generally like CoD.

They may think it is getting stale, but the series' recent (last four years) emphasis on speed and constant activity makes it ideal to play in a short burst.

It's not just about liking it though, they can like it and give it a 7.

Because a AAA game can't review as merely good, it has to review like the virgin Mary herself birthed it unto gaming to save us all from the sins of past, inferior games. It has to revolutionize gaming, redefine storytelling, and melt faces with eye-popping graphics. B-tier studios crap out good games all the time that land in the bomba bin; Rockstar delivers genre-defining Oscar-worthy tour de forces and goddammit press outlets better recognize.

(seriously I think score inflation is a big problem--having your game review as an 8 is bad, bad, bad, which means your game can't just be good, it has to be amazing, which leads to tons of pressure.)

I don't know that they outright paid for reviews, but I can easily see RS strong-arming publications that fail to be appropriately blown away by their latest.
If GTA V started scoring in the 8s, I somehow doubt it would significantly affect sales.

NBtoaster

Weren't there stories of how Rockstar were so terrified GTA4 would leak, so most reviewer experience with the game had to be done supervised, and for 8 hours max?

szaromir

Banned
Rockstar, without question. “@LittleJuiceBox1: @RichStanton Who were the dodgiest PRs for doing deals (review scores etc)?”
That's pretty obvious looking at the huge difference between the quality of their games and the ridiculously high review scores their games get.

the reason blowups like this occur so infrequently in the games press is this shit right here:

I am SHOCKED OMG

No surprises.

Give me attention plz

the moment someone steps forward to lay out precisely whats wrong with the industry, a bunch of shitheads pop out of the woodwork to out-blase each other.

that's the trouble with blowing the whistle when the stakes are so low. the only person who gets punished is the guy you should be supporting, while the game publishers and magazine management continue on their merry way.

Zia

the reason blowups like this occur so infrequently in the games press is this shit right here:

the moment someone steps forward to lay out precisely whats wrong with the industry, a bunch of shitheads pop out of the woodwork to out-blase each other.

that's the trouble with blowing the whistle when the stakes are so low. the only person who gets punished is the guy you should be supporting, while the game publishers and magazine management continue on their merry way.

: )

Weren't there stories of how Rockstar were so terrified GTA4 would leak, so most reviewer experience with the game had to be done supervised, and for 8 hours max?
It was in a hotel environment if I remember correctly, never heard anything about the time limits.

As for this whole drama hurting people. I think it's in the public interest, and it's down to us as a community to respond maturely. People are saying "oh all these writers will be caught in the crossfire" not if the response is mature enough to separate management from writers. As Rich has made clear.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is sad to watch, I'm going to stop now.

The only thing this is going to achieve is hurting a lot of people, including himself when he realize the supreme stupidity of what he is doing.

This is pretty much how I feel. Also, people are going to read the title of the thread and immediately go ballistic. I feel like this is sort of sensationalistic.

Geek

Ninny Prancer

That's not true at all. Rockstar had fairly common security measures in place for GTA4 reviews, nothing like what you are describing.

MormaPope

Banned

But this dude is answering random questions and ranting about random topics. Also not questioning what he's saying is just as bad as taking his word for everything he's talking about.

But this dude is answering random questions and ranting about random topics. Also not questioning what he's saying is just as bad as taking his word for everything he's talking about.

who told you to take him at his word? i specifically called out the people who seemed to accept without evidence his every accusation while simultaneously blowing off their implications.

"i wonder if this is true" is a good attitude to have; "this is certainly true but i am king cynicism and had foreknowledge of this corruption so i actively don't give a fuck" isn't useful or interesting

Derrick01

Banned
I wouldn't put any of this past PC gamer. Remember them saying Dragon Age 2 was RPG of the generation or some crazy shit like that? They have 1 of the 2 most laughably obvious paid off reviews about Dragon Age 2 along with that place Yahtzee worked for.

Also GTA 4 reviews paid off? NO FUCKING WAY! You're telling me that PoS wasn't a 98/100 and god's gift to gaming like the press claimed it was?

so the new XCom game wasn't really a 9?

I think it's at least that good after putting 8 hours in today.

But why should we just blindly accept what he's saying? He's already admitted he's drunk and he's clearly had a falling-out with Future so why are you so certain that he isn't just drumming up a load of lies to make them look bad and damage their reputation?

He's already accused an ONM writer of something pretty serious and the writer seems adamant he's lying. I don't see why we should suddenly treat a recently embittered drunken man's scandalous tweets as pure fact.

This Stanton guy is an idiot for posting this stuff on Twitter. Doesn't matter if what he's saying is true or not. He may have a difficult time finding another job.

MormaPope

Banned
who told you to take him at his word? i specifically called out the people who seemed to accept without evidence his every accusation while simultaneously blowing off their implications.

"i wonder if this is true" is a good attitude to have; "this is certainly true but i am king cynicism and had foreknowledge of this corruption so i actively don't give a fuck" isn't useful or interesting

I get where you're coming from then.

Derrick01

Banned
Ah here was PC gamer's Dragon Age 2 review summary

The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better.

Tell me with a straight face that wasn't paid off.

This stuff should have been obvious to any with a lick of common sense, ESPECIALLY in this generation.

"The story is Oscar quality."

"I now know how film critics felt after seeing The Godfather."

The entire industry should be shamed into obsolescence.

Disgusting.

muu

You can't avoid stuff like this when people are writing about stuff their advertisers sell, dude.

Guy obviously had some falling out w/ Future Publishing, probably hoping this will get him the 15 mins of fame to convince another site to pick him up (or he's going an entirely new direction).

Zia

This Stanton guy is an idiot for posting this stuff on Twitter. Doesn't matter if what he's saying is true or not. He may have a difficult time finding another job.

He has another job, contributing pretty regularly to Eurogamer as a freelancer. Freelance gigs aren't hard to come by with a portfolio like his, though a lot of corporate publishers aren't going to touch him, which I doubt matters a whole lot to him if he's not pitching to EDGE.

MormaPope

Banned
I wouldn't put any of this past PC gamer. Remember them saying Dragon Age 2 was RPG of the generation or some crazy shit like that? They have 1 of the 2 most laughably obvious paid off reviews about Dragon Age 2 along with that place Yahtzee worked for.

Also GTA 4 reviews paid off? NO FUCKING WAY! You're telling me that PoS wasn't a 98/100 and god's gift to gaming like the press claimed it was?

I think it's at least that good after putting 8 hours in today.

While that may be true, I've never seen someone feel so betrayed by that potential fact. I was burned harder by Gaf's reception of Sleeping Dogs than GTA IV reviews. The publicized reviews for Sleeping Dogs gave more accurate impressions compared to the OT for Sleeping Dogs, but most OT's are too positive.

This stuff should have been obvious to any with a lick of common sense, ESPECIALLY in this generation.

"The story is Oscar quality."

"I now know how film critics felt after seeing The Godfather."

The entire industry should be shamed into obsolescence.

Disgusting.

So... we are going to redirect things from IGN to Edge?

Corto

While that may be true, I've never seen someone feel so betrayed by that potential fact. I was burned harder by Gaf's reception of Sleeping Dogs than GTA IV reviews. The publicized reviews for Sleeping Dogs gave more accurate impressions compared to the OT for Sleeping Dogs, but most OT's are too positive.

GAF anonymous posters are just enthusiasts not paid to write an articulated/substantiated opinion. Some times enthusiasts get caught in the hype. Professionals shouldn't.

NBtoaster

That's not true at all. Rockstar had fairly common security measures in place for GTA4 reviews, nothing like what you are describing.

I remembered some things incorrectly, but this is it

The reason for the withholding of review code was, according to Rockstar, a result to the game’s leaking onto the internet seven days before its release. Speaking to the company at the time it was claimed that this leak came from an unscrupulous journalist.

As a result, there was a lock down on all review code: everybody would get their copy just one day before the game’s release, and, despite the wonky logic (after all the game had already leaked to those with the capability to play it so why punish the many for the indiscretion of the few) there were to be “no exceptions, no arguments”.

At best then, by the time the game had been played, copy written and subbed ready for the Tuesday morning, most journalists (both in the UK and the US) had played for only a few hours, experiencing just a fraction of the game’s content, a situation testified to by various admissions in professional reviews.

The BBC noted the phenomenon saying: "Most reviewers were not sent advance copies of the game, and instead had to attend Rockstar offices or sit in booked hotel rooms to play the game,” where Rockstar could keep an eye and some pressure on them.

www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18761

MormaPope

Banned
GAF anonymous posters are just enthusiasts not paid to write an articulated/substantiated opinion. Some times enthusiasts get caught in the hype. Professionals shouldn't.

I tend to take people's impressions on Gaf more seriously than publicized reviewers, and that lead to my disappointment in that instance.

Corto

I tend to take people's impressions on Gaf more seriously than publicized reviewers, and that lead to my disappointment in that instance.

Like with gaming outlets/journalists you will learn with time who to trust here on GAF. Also, different tastes and all that.

~Kinggi~

Banned

You are also forgetting there is a surprisingly large % of gaffers that are viral marketers hired by companies. Cant source that though, but i do remember someone claiming people would be surprised if they heard numbers on that.

MormaPope

Banned
You are also forgetting there is a surprisingly large % of gaffers that are viral marketers hired by companies. Cant source that though, but i do remember someone claiming people would be surprised if they heard numbers on that.

Wasn't it like 15%? Or was it much higher?

Dabanton

Well you shouldn't. A lot of forums buy right into the hype of a new game hook,line and sinker.

The RE6 debacle is a great case in point I found it very hard to take anyone rocking a RE6 avatar seriously, gushing about how everyone else is wrong and it's a great game really.

They'd invested months of time and attention into the anticipation of the game you think they want to hear it's not that good.

You'll get the real impressions on a game when it's been out for about 3 months then people can admit that maybe it wasn't that good.

Lyude77

Wow. More reason to follow this advice, I guess:

Like with gaming outlets/journalists you will learn with time who to trust here on GAF. Also, different tastes and all that.

Top Bottom