• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic to ship into 2018. More NES Classic will release in 2018.

Toki767

Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

Next summer, Nintendo will also bring back the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system with new shipments. More information about the timing of the return of NES Classic Edition will be announced in the future.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170912005798/en/

Neiteio

I could see myself buying several of these -- one for myself, and more for friends as Xmas gifts -- if I can actually find them

Neiteio

Reggie at the end of the Direct: "Hey lady with the WiiUs in the back of your minivan -- we're putting you on notice"

edit: actually Reggie is probably thankful to her, she was half the WiiU userbase

Netto-kun

Well well. Would be nice if the SNES Mini price in Scandinavia dropped due to this announcement. Doubt that will happen though cause Bergsala.

rip scalpers

00my.jpg

Yep, that about lines up with what I thought, glad I'm not feeling beetroot red about now for wishing death upon someone because I suspected they might have been lying.

There is going to be crow eaten again I feel about a Nintendo thing because some people are too emotionally invested and think before they say things.

Glad these Nintendo are listening and these should be easier to find, I hope everyone who wants one gets one! :)

Dez_

That's great news. Hope this means I won't need to go out of my way to try and order one. Don't need this on day one, but I'd love to have this at some point.

chrono01

I already have the NES Classic Mini, but I'm really relieved to see more SNES Classic Mini being made in 2018 (since I've yet to secure a pre-order, despite frantically trying for one).

Incredible news.

ramparter

Banned
Fuck I knew this would happen, I fucking knew it. Yes! Hopefully this will new prevent people giving more money to scalpers!

Nintendo finally got smart. Just this news is enough to deter scalpers. They may not even have to ship as many out come 2018 as they initially thought.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All those SNES scalpers with multiple pre-orders... the return hassle with no profit is delicious.

liquidtmd

Banned
They stopped supply six months ago, it's been scarce since launch, and now they announce they will make more in 2018...at which point the SNES will have been out four months + with ongoing supply of that...

Legit question: won't the SNES eat into sales of the NES? Sure the dedicated fanboys (who haven't got one) will want both, but casual retro-ists will be more swayed by the SNES, no?

Don't get me wrong, this is all good news

Beeks

I just see this feeding into the "Reggie feeds off consumers misery" gag from the Beastcast - we'll make them tear each other to shreds trying to get their hands on these things, only to turn around afterwards and say, "Of course we're going to make more, what did you think we were, monsters?"

Fuck'em.

They stopped supply six months ago, it's been scarce since launch, and now they announce they will make more in 2018...at which point the SNES will have been out four months + with ongoing supply of that...

Legit question: won't the SNES eat into sales of the NES? Sure the dedicated fanboys (who haven't got one) will want both, but casual retro-ists will be more swayed by the SNES, no?

Don't get me wrong, this is all good news

Unlikely since the SNES will likely be long out of production by the time NES Classic 2: Electric Boogaloo comes out.

Grampasso

What? Wasn't this supposed to be released at the end of September? I preordered (and mostly payed) for one on Gamestop!

chrono01

What? Wasn't this supposed to be released at the end of September? I preordered (and mostly payed) for one on Gamestop!
Yes, but it was supposed to cease being sold at the ending of 2017. Now, more will become available in 2018.

Don't worry, September sales will still happen.

120v

i may actually get one for myself now. been buying them as gifts, would like to play a lot of these games myself but the rarity and price has me going "well, there's always emulation"

Good news.

But I guess it will still sell out his year an will reach high prices on ebay before Christmas. People want this as Christmas gifts, I doubt Nintendo will be able to match demand for Christmas.

Head.spawn

Dear Scalpers*,

fb0.jpg

Including "I swear I only bought 10 to give as gifts"-guy, he's everywhere and I don't believe 'em.

Top Bottom