• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have zero respect for those NFL players that kneeled for the first time yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

KmA

Imagine reading this as a member of the LBGT community.

Are you... part of the LGBT community? Because I am and I agree with the OP lmao. What is that quote about how "they attacked the Blacks and I didn't speak. Then they attacked the jews and I didn't speak etc." where he goes onto saying no one will speak for him once he's targeted. It's like that. Speaking out once it's comfortable to do so literally doesn't do anything.

It's not about not doing it from the beginning. It's about waiting to do it until the most powerful person in the nation called somebody a bitch. It didn't matter when he insulted a million other people. How is this not the very definition of the "Fuck you, I got mine" attitude that so many people hate? They didn't care when it didn't personally affect them. Some of them even talked about how they believe there are better ways to protest. But now you have fucks like Ray Lewis kneeling with everyone else when he's been personally involved in Kaepernick still being unsigned.

Um, do you realize Trump was calling Kaep and anyone else who started kneeling 'SOB's that should be fired'? Lets look at what was actually said.

”Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he's fired!' You know, some owner is going to do that. He's gonna say, ‘That guy disrespects our flag, he's fired.' And that owner, they don't know it. They don't know it. They're friends of mine, many of them. They don't know it. They'll be the most popular person, for a week. They'll be the most popular person in the country."

You're spinning this to make it seem like Trump insulted the entire league by questioning their manhood therefore the vast majority of players decided to protest. Then you're getting worked up because these players didn't take a stance as soon as you wanted them to. Can you not see how this is a toxic viewpoint you are promoting? Think at this from another angle - do you think anyone who wasn't at the forefront of the LGBTQ in the 80's is a 'coward' or selfish? Progress happens over time, not all at once. You are taking this to the extreme in my opinion and many others in this thread. Maybe re-think your stance.

Ah, I'm not down with purity tests generally. The only one I have a problem with is Ray Lewis who is a complete mess (nicest way I can say it). When you're for an issue that has such a huge uphill climb, beggars can't be choosers, imo. If players need to hide behind unity that's better than doing nothing.

It's not about not doing it from the beginning. It's about waiting to do it until the most powerful person in the nation called somebody a bitch. It didn't matter when he insulted a million other people. How is this not the very definition of the "Fuck you, I got mine" attitude that so many people hate? They didn't care when it didn't personally affect them. Some of them even talked about how they believe there are better ways to protest. But now you have fucks like Ray Lewis kneeling with everyone else when he's been personally involved in Kaepernick still being unsigned.

Why can't minds change? So what if it took the president calling them a bitch to snap out of it and take action? If it's a personal insult that gets them to take a stand, so what? This may very well start them on the path of understanding why Kaep truly did it in the first place. Thoughts and stances take time to develop and change, and you should respect when they actually do. And here you are taking a shit on it. Fucking why? How will this help us in the long run?

Brakke

Banned
OP did not lie.

Most charitable thing to say is that this population has a long record of political apathy or disengagement, so it’s worth taking the opportunity to help these dudes move from their baby steps yesterday into real engagement. So I wouldn’t call any of these dudes cowards to their face but I’m not exactly impressed with their Johnny-come-lately asses.

Do the bare minimum of work, get the bare minimum of credit. But if anyone’s really willing to start from that bare minimum and carry on, then you oughta encourage them and help them get that momentum going in themselves.

The players kneeling I don't mind. Ray Lewis and specifically the owners I don't fuck with at all. You can't be out here issuing statements or standing with the players when the guy who took the brunt of the SOB comment still aint in the league because you and your GMs didn't want to deal with the "controversy". Sticking up for the NFL fraternity when you already kicked out the frat brother you're standing up for is horseshit.

Ducarmel

Just want to post I'm glad to hear Shannon Sharpe on point as usual, but whatever its a decent message about unity even if it was out of selfish reasons for the NFL players/owners and its against Trump I can support it that much, but Ray Lewis can go jump off a cliff.

pompidu

This is the most Facebook thread I've ever seen on this site. I'm not sure why this garbage isn't locked yet.

Still unity against a POS President is still a good thing and helps drive forward the message that people aren't gonna tolerate his shit.

OnPoint

We should abandon the people who see the light because they weren't among the first on the train? Sometimes people need time to process what's going on, or to see enough to be pushed into action, or whatever other reason.

That those that knelt for the first time yesterday got there at all, they should be celebrated and progress should continue.

Get out of here with this narrow-minded thinking.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah no this is counter-productive and useless. Better late than never and all that.

If we're gonna go no true scottsman, I'm gonna guess that most of the people kneeling for the first time voted against the orange one and didn't talk other people into not voting. Unlike Kaepernick.
Damn

Bleepey

If we're gonna go no true scottsman, I'm gonna guess that most of the people kneeling for the first time voted against the orange one and didn't talk other people into not voting. Unlike Kaepernick.

No one's perfect. Recognize when people do something right when they do it and don't throw in their face that they did something wrong in the past.

So true. I was so pissed off with him for not voting because he was anti establishment or some bullshit. You went from having a sympathetic ear in the Whitehouse in the form of Hilary to a fascist who appointed Klansman to be Attorney General. Jackass. I'll add Cornell West to that faux woke stupid list of people who decided not to vote for Hilary. Hilary ain't the best but she was on paper and would have in practice been better,

Are you... part of the LGBT community? Because I am and I agree with the OP lmao. What is that quote about how "they attacked the Blacks and I didn't speak. Then they attacked the jews and I didn't speak etc." where he goes onto saying no one will speak for him once he's targeted. It's like that. Speaking out once it's comfortable to do so literally doesn't do anything.

It's more about not being comfortable to speak until something impacts you directly. For some, that's what it takes. That's what it took for me to support LGBT issues. It took me too long, but I'm here now. Is this a message that my support isn't wanted or needed?

Genuinely curious.

rambis

Banned
Very petty and unproductive of you, OP. This attitude helps no one but the opposition and divides the effort for some "no true scotsman" bullshit

It's more about not being comfortable to speak until something impacts you directly. For some, that's what it takes. That's what it took for me to support LGBT issues. It took me too long, but I'm here now. Is this a message that my support isn't wanted or needed?

Genuinely curious.

I think the end of the message goes...then they came for me, and no one else was there to speak for me. Something like that. In the future it is something to think about.

It's all bullshit. When Kaepernick was, and still is, being blackballed by every single owner in the NFL, where were these people? When cops kept killing people, where were these people? When a fucking white supremacist killed somebody and tried to lynch another person at a rally, where the fuck were these players?

Kneeling has nothing to do with this besides a single player that used it to deliver his message.
Said player and the form his message took eventually got pushed out of the league.

That was it, his message came and went.

Yesterday was entirely because Trump decided to shit on a guy who was down and had a potential career lost because he exercised his rights and protested in literally the most peaceful and non-aggressive way people always talk about.

Not to mention when he did it Trump wasn't even elected yet and white supremacists weren't remotely as bold as they have been in the last few months.
Also literally ripping the country apart as he now is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom