• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, What? Mario Strikers Charged Review

Thomper

Moz La Punk said:
That's basically a summary of the review, so yeah.
Ah, that's nice to know. :') My issue isn't in yet, so I haven't read it, but I'm glad that I'm able to predict reviews myself. :lol

Brilliant, some magazine no one outside of the Netherlands ever heard of reviews a game and out come the trolls.

Remember, the very important netjak gave FFXII a 7.2. That game is mediocre!

Like others have pointed out not reviewing the online part is just idiotic because it's more or less the whole purpose of the Wii game. This is a direct sequel to the GC game with the big feature being online and not waggle.

The GC game is pure multiplayer fun and I'm pretty sure this will be no different. Hating on the single player experience shows that they pretty much missed the whole point of the game. Another indicator is that they are criticizing the mega strikes. If you just aim for mega strikes you'll get owned by any decent player. It takes time to build the strike up and you can be tackled during that time. It's a big risk, big reward move.

Blue Geezer said:
hmm considering i never played the first should i enjoy this then?
Have you played Sega Soccer Slam? It's basically the same with Mario characters. If you like action sports games you'll definetly enjoy this.

Thomper

Phife Dawg said:
Brilliant, some magazine no one outside of the Netherlands ever heard of reviews a game and out come the trolls.

Remember, the very important netjak gave FFXII a 7.2. That game is mediocre!

Like others have pointed out not reviewing the online part is just idiotic because it's more or less the whole purpose of the Wii game. This is a direct sequel to the GC game with the big feature being online and not waggle.

The GC game is pure multiplayer fun and I'm pretty sure this will be no different. Hating on the single player experience shows that they pretty much missed the whole point of the game. Another indicator is that they are criticizing the mega strikes. If you just aim for mega strikes you'll get owned by any decent player. It takes time to build the strike up and you can be tackled during that time. It's a big risk, big reward move.

Have you played Sega Soccer Slam? It's basically the same with Mario characters. If you like action sports games you'll definetly enjoy this.
Eh? They only said they didn't get to play the online part of the game. Multiplayer was working fine, if I'm reading this right. So this isn't a review of the singleplayer part of the game, it's everything except the online part. Now unless the game plays entirely different when online, I don't know how reviewing this part of the game could be idiotic. The only thing the online mode adds is being able to play with friends that aren't sitting next to you. The core gameplay should still be exactly the same.

Translation of the last piece of text in the review:

"It seemed so easy: Wii-gamers crave for a new great game if it says 'Mario' on the box it's done. Unfortunately this is not the case, as Mario Strikers is more of the same and offers, to be frank, nothing new. Next to that, luck is the important factor in the game and apart from the online options there is not enough meat for your money. A few tournaments are nice, playing against some friends in multiplayer is always better than against the computer and the Striker Challenges offer some variety. But the game doesn't feel 'finished' and it does not offer the fun we are used from Nintendo games. This shot in front of open goal (because let's be honest: a football game with Mario should score) has to be qualified as a miss.

Mario Strikers does not add anything new to the previous installment, does not use the new options of the Wiimote in an inventive way and it does not ooze with overall quality. Will the online mode offer a saviour?"

And this too:

"Graphics: The term 'GameCube Plus' is in place here. The game looks about as good as the GameCube version, with a few added graphical touches.

Sound: Unvaried, predictable and boring. We have heard only three songs in the game and all of average quality. Where are the classic Mario tunes?

Gameplay: The Wiimote and Nunchuck combination works OK, but they should've gotten more out of it. Waving the Wiimote around to make a tackle? C'mon...

Lasting appeal: The online gameplay offers an endless array of rivals, but on your own you're through the game in a short amount of time. With just a few cups and a few challenges, the lone gamer isn't offered anything grant."

And this:

"Before we get angry emails: we should tell you something about this review. We have played a full, finished version of Mario Strikers for this review, but in this version there was no option to play online. At the one hand because the software wasnt included and the other hand because we didnt had anyone to play against at the moment of writing. The Versus mode however is a good example of how the online version will play out, which is why we think we have a pretty good idea of the options. We will, however, come back about this in the next issue, so keep that in mind!"

Wow, sounds very unprofessional! Right? Right?

Wrong.

What? Their review bashed the game. They praised the balls Ubisoft had to make it but in the end it got a 5.5 I think.

I think you're mixed up with the English N-Gamer again.

I really wish they would stop using the GameCube as a de facto benchmark. Everyone has their own opinions of what the GameCube did and did not. From Rogue Squadron to Metroid Prime.

Such a lazy *** stock answer. I wish they would actually talk about the art style, the consistency and the performance of the game engine to compliment the 'it's a GameCube game'

Visualante said:
I really wish they would stop using the GameCube as a de facto benchmark. Everyone has their own opinions of what the GameCube did and did not. From Rogue Squadron to Metroid Prime.

Such a lazy *** stock answer. I wish they would actually talk about the art style, the consistency and the performance of the game engine to compliment the 'it's a GameCube game'

I both agree and disagree. Its getting a little old, but then again if Nintendo themselves publish games that hardly differ from the GameCube versions, both graphical and in gameplay, it should be noted. Especially for people that own the GameCube version.

The thing about this game is from what I've heard the online season is a SIGNIFICANT part of the experience...I mean, it's like reviewing PSO offline only...

maxmars

Moz La Punk said:

Wrong.

I don't know, as someone who loved the original (still play it), it does sound a bit whiny and off the mark, even without having played the new game.

Those who, like me, liked the first game, always pointed out as flaws merely the amount of content and the lack of an online mode -- the core game was already solid.

Now they've added a lot of stuff, e.g. seven new stadiums with unique stuff going on in each (like wind), new abilities for captains, possibility to mix and match sidekicks, new sidekicks, abilities for sidekicks, new play modes; that alone means the game offers quite a bit more content from the original and certainly doesn't deserve such negative comments. Expecially since they don't seem to have a problem with what was added, but only with the fact that toolittle new stuff is there wrt the original.

I don't know what different new content they were expecting from a sport game whose core gameplay already worked well -- minigames? That NLG added a baseball implementation? Perhaps games with yearly updates like FIFA or Madden should get negative points then?

The only thing that could break the deal is the controls, honestly.

Roelatie

maxmars said:
I don't know, as someone who loved the original (still play it), it does sound a bit whiny and off the mark, even without having played the new game.

Those who, like me, liked the first game, always pointed out as flaws merely the amount of content and the lack of an online mode -- the core game was already solid.

Now they've added a lot of stuff, e.g. seven new stadiums with unique stuff going on in each (like wind), new abilities for captains, possibility to mix and match sidekicks, new sidekicks, abilities for sidekicks, new play modes; that alone means the game offers quite a bit more content from the original and certainly doesn't deserve such negative comments. Expecially since they don't seem to have a problem with what was added, but only with the fact that toolittle new stuff is there wrt the original.

I don't know what different new content they were expecting from a sport game whose core gameplay already worked well -- minigames? That NLG added a baseball implementation? Perhaps games with yearly updates like FIFA or Madden should get negative points then?

The only thing that could break the deal is the controls, honestly.

I totally agree!:)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Moz La Punk said:
Translation of the last piece of text in the review:

"It seemed so easy: Wii-gamers crave for a new great game if it says 'Mario' on the box it's done. Unfortunately this is not the case, as Mario Strikers is more of the same and offers, to be frank, nothing new. Next to that, luck is the important factor in the game and apart from the online options there is not enough meat for your money. A few tournaments are nice, playing against some friends in multiplayer is always better than against the computer and the Striker Challenges offer some variety. But the game doesn't feel 'finished' and it does not offer the fun we are used from Nintendo games. This shot in front of open goal (because let's be honest: a football game with Mario should score) has to be qualified as a miss.

Mario Strikers does not add anything new to the previous installment, does not use the new options of the Wiimote in an inventive way and it does not ooze with overall quality. Will the online mode offer a saviour?"

And this too:

"Graphics: The term 'GameCube Plus' is in place here. The game looks about as good as the GameCube version, with a few added graphical touches.

Sound: Unvaried, predictable and boring. We have heard only three songs in the game and all of average quality. Where are the classic Mario tunes?

Gameplay: The Wiimote and Nunchuck combination works OK, but they should've gotten more out of it. Waving the Wiimote around to make a tackle? C'mon...

Lasting appeal: The online gameplay offers an endless array of rivals, but on your own you're through the game in a short amount of time. With just a few cups and a few challenges, the lone gamer isn't offered anything grant."

And this:

"Before we get angry emails: we should tell you something about this review. We have played a full, finished version of Mario Strikers for this review, but in this version there was no option to play online. At the one hand because the software wasnt included and the other hand because we didnt had anyone to play against at the moment of writing. The Versus mode however is a good example of how the online version will play out, which is why we think we have a pretty good idea of the options. We will, however, come back about this in the next issue, so keep that in mind!"

Wrong.

Right, it is, sorry, but the game clearly wasn't finished, as the online mode wasn't available, I don't give a stuff if the mag is bi-monthly, reviewing unfinalised code is poppycock, I still want to know how they obtained "finished" review code, the game couldn't have went gold nearly 2 months beofre release (The review must have been written in early - mid april, and a decent review takes a week of two, so they must have obtained review copy in late March, and the game is a late May release).

Sorry, but i'm going to wait before a proper Magazine/Online publication reviews this, preferably after the game goes Gold and the game is truly finished.

The fact that it didn't have online working speaks volumes about the state of the code and the circumstances in which they reviewed it.
ONM has a proper review based on the final code and WORKING ONLINE MULTIPLAYER, on sale next Friday

Uhm, how can they review the game without even playing the most important mode of the game? That's just ridiculous. That's a preview at best.

Thomper

Twilight Rockstar said:
The fact that it didn't have online working speaks volumes about the state of the code and the circumstances in which they reviewed it.
ONM has a proper review based on the final code and WORKING ONLINE MULTIPLAYER, on sale next Friday
Wasn't ONM that magazine that had one of the first Red Steel reviews and gave the game 91%? Not meaning to bash, but all this is getting ridiculous. Magazines have reviews of games way before it's released all the time. I don't want to be the guy defending [N]Gamer, but some of you guys are overreacting. If they played a version of the game that had everything except online, and they said it clearly in the review, they're being very fair and open about it. It's not like they pulled the review code out of their ass, it was probably given by Nintendo or Next Level themselves. And they wouldn't have given it if it was okay for reviewing, right?

Farmboy

Thomper said:
It's not like they pulled the review code out of their ass, it was probably given by Nintendo or Next Level themselves. And they wouldn't have given it if it was okay for reviewing, right?

As I understand it (I didn't work on this particular issue much), the reviewer got to play the game for several days in a row at the offices of Nintendo Netherlands. I guess Nintendo felt the code he had access to accurately reflected the quality of the final product.

Of course, should ONM now proclaim Strikers Charged to be a masterpiece of Red Steel-like proportions, fanboys the world over will label that review as being more accurate, regardless of whether or not they tested a significantly different build of the game than [N]Gamer. I am again reminded of the late Johnnie Cochran's response to the outcome of the OJ Simpson Civil Trial: those who feel he's innocent will look to the criminal verdict, those who feel he's guilty will look to the civil verdict.
Then again, I'm also quite confident that most reviews will fall in line with [N]Gamer's opinion -- as happened with Red Steel.

Farmboy said:
As I understand it (I didn't work on this particular issue much), the reviewer got to play the game for several days in a row at the offices of Nintendo Netherlands. I guess Nintendo felt the code he had access to accurately reflected the quality of the final product.

Of course, should ONM now proclaim Strikers Charged to be a masterpiece of Red Steel-like proportions, fanboys the world over will label that review as being more accurate, regardless of whether or not they tested a significantly different build of the game than [N]Gamer. I am again reminded of the late Johnnie Cochran's response to the outcome of the OJ Simpson Civil Trial: those who feel he's innocent will look to the criminal verdict, those who feel he's guilty will look to the civil verdict.
Then again, I'm also quite confident that most reviews will fall in line with [N]Gamer's opinion -- as happened with Red Steel.

Hey, can you tell me which of the writers from [N]Gamer you are? Just curious, you can PM it to me if you want that. If you're PM-ing me anyway, can you tell me the situation with work experience over there? I'm still looking for a good videogame-related work experience place.

[Nintex]

Moz La Punk said:
Hey, can you tell me which of the writers from [N]Gamer you are? Just curious, you can PM it to me if you want that. If you're PM-ing me anyway, can you tell me the situation with work experience over there? I'm still looking for a good videogame-related work experience place.
I guess its Niels, he's the only freelancer I think...

Thomper

Moz La Punk said:
Take a guess - which of the writers has something with Farms in their last name? Exactly, that's him.

Thomper said:
Take a guess - which of the writers has something with Farms in their last name? Exactly, that's him.

yeah, sounds logical.

[Nintex] said:
I guess its Niels, he's the only freelancer I think...

I assume you meant De Rijk... 't Hooft has been doing other stuff the past few months as far as I know. Had the pleasure to meet/interview him one time btw.

[Nintex] said:
No I'm not I used to buy their magazines untill a certain farmboy showed up on GAF, saying something like:

Hey I'm dutch and I work for a N only magazine!

Haha! I'm Dutch and I work for a gaming magazine, but it's not N only (although my articles are).

The magazine mentioned here is the [N]Gamer, the only N magazine of the Netherlands. Not the UK mag NGamer. I'm subscribed to [N]Gamer, but I think it isn't perfect or so.

Thomper said:

I'm not at home right now, but I guess you mean Gerthein Boersma? (a 'boer' is a 'farmer' ((or a 'burp!')) in Dutch)

Thomper said:
Eh? They only said they didn't get to play the online part of the game. Multiplayer was working fine, if I'm reading this right. So this isn't a review of the singleplayer part of the game, it's everything except the online part. Now unless the game plays entirely different when online, I don't know how reviewing this part of the game could be idiotic. The only thing the online mode adds is being able to play with friends that aren't sitting next to you. The core gameplay should still be exactly the same.
I didn't say reviewing that part is idiotic but criticizing the game for a short single player experience is. The game is geared towards multiplayer, the single player is just to egt you into the game. It's just like criticizing Quake 3 for having a short single player experience. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Here is the quote:
Single player is short, with just a few cups and a few challenges, the lone gamer isn't in for a treat.

I'm not up in arms about the score because as a fan of the first one I'll get this regardless. If they just improved upon the formula and added online it's great news for me.

What I don't understand is their gripes with the game. I mentioned single player experience above. I've adressed the other things that don't make much sense to me in my other posts. Plus maxmars pretty much summed up what I was thinking anyways.

No official thread yet so posting here.

Nintendo Europe PR messed up? Last report that WiFi was locked to your continent in an attempt to halt server strain and game lag.

Online is sweet and all but....no local area network gaming, again?
Ok, you have no splitscreen when playing a football-game, but it´d be uber-sweet, nonetheless.
I really hope Battalion Wars 2 has lan-support.

Visualante said:
No official thread yet so posting here.
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/711/screenshot168li9.jpg

Nintendo Europe PR messed up? Last report that WiFi was locked to your continent in an attempt to halt server strain and game lag.
In the one german review available they mentioned that you can indeed play intercontinentaly but only if you have the friend codes.

So no friend codes:
-Ranked matches

Friend codes:
-No ranked matches
-More options for game settings
-Game "intercontinentaly"

MasterMFauli said:
Online is sweet and all but....no local area network gaming, again?
Ok, you have no splitscreen when playing a football-game, but it´d be uber-sweet, nonetheless.
I really hope Battalion Wars 2 has lan-support.
They demoed Lan play at last GC iirc. Doesn't mean they'll leave it in though.

Roi

Just play Sega Soccer Slam, that's the most awesome version of this game.

624788.jpg

Gaaraz

Super LTTP, but this must be without a doubt the most unsatisfying football game I've ever played. You can knock it about and create some awesome scoring chances, but just through regular play you don't stand a chance. You can take it past someone, get it to the edge of the box, square it someone in loads of space, shoot and 9/10 the keeper will save it.

By contrast you can just stand there, not really bothering too much, create a tiny amount of space and just hold down the shoot button before scoring a guaranteed goal, or maybe 5 or even 6 if you're lucky. From one shot. WTF?

(edit) Agreed with Roi really. I was hoping this would be Sega Soccer Slam with Mario characters. But it really isn't.

Garjon

blizeH said:
Super LTTP, but this must be without a doubt the most unsatisfying football game I've ever played. You can knock it about and create some awesome scoring chances, but just through regular play you don't stand a chance. You can take it past someone, get it to the edge of the box, square it someone in loads of space, shoot and 9/10 the keeper will save it.

By contrast you can just stand there, not really bothering too much, create a tiny amount of space and just hold down the shoot button before scoring a guaranteed goal, or maybe 5 or even 6 if you're lucky. From one shot. WTF?

(edit) Agreed with Roi really. I was hoping this would be Sega Soccer Slam with Mario characters. But it really isn't.
You know you could have just made an LTTP thread

/statetheobvious

[Nintex]

Fuck you Diddy Kong, you and your laser shit and half my team is gone and I have to start all over agian. WTF IS THIS SHIT

Top Bottom