• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
Fine have it your way if you think it's so trivial. I personally believe the meaning of a hero name is really important since it identifies their ideas. So the Le vs Lu is pretty significant imo.

Then point out what is lost in the transition. We all knew it referenced the million. We all knew Mirio is a reference to Tintin. What else is there?

If any given person were to read the manga, what knowledge about the world, character, or anything would they gain with Le that they wouldn't with Lu? Hell, unless they also know Tintin originated in france, they probably wouldn't even make the French connection.

The only thing I can personally think of is that Lemillion rolls off slightly nicer on the tongue than Lumillion. It sounds nicer when spoken. That's it.

I also like to think that Horikoshi's puts lots of thoughts in the name he gives his character, so simply saying it doesn't matter bugs me.

If that were true, Nejire would have a proper hero name /salt

Then point out what is lost in the transition. We all knew it referenced the million. We all knew Mirio is a reference to Tintin. What else is there?

If any given person were to read the manga, what knowledge about the world, character, or anything would they gain with Le that they wouldn't with Lu? Hell, unless they also know Tintin originated in france, they probably wouldn't even make the French connection.

The only thing I can personally think of is that Lemillion rolls off slightly nicer on the tongue than Lumillion. It sounds nicer when spoken. That's it.

Well they lose the fact that's it is a french reference, which is what the author seemingly puts lots of thoughts in. People will research his name and find the Trivia. Mirio's name is a play on the french words le million which mean the million, his objective. This might be a reference to the french character he is based on, TinTin.

Small details like those is what makes a world so interesting. If you don't care and think it doesn't matter then ok fine go ahead, but I do hence why I gave my opinion on it.
But she is a girl and she is cute so Nejire-chan is a proper name :p

Veelk

Banned
Well they lose the fact that's it is a french reference, which is what the author seemingly puts lots of thoughts in. People will research his name and find the Trivia. Mirio's name is a play on the french words le million which mean the million, his objective. This might be a reference to the french character he is based on, TinTin.

Small details like those is what makes a world so interesting. If you don't care and think it doesn't matter then ok fine go ahead, but I do hence why I gave my opinion on it.

But...again, we already know it references his goal of saving a million people because he explained it. Like I said, no one here was confused about what Lumillion referred to when that was all we had. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want to hear this explained: Really, what exactly is it about it having a french connotation elevates his reference to the million that it wouldn't from a different or even faux language?

But she is a girl and she is cute so Nejire-chan is a proper name :p

"She is a cute girl" is never be a proper excuse for lazy naming.

It might be a character thing. Nejire probably just got too distracted by something shiny to think of a proper name. Still....come on.

But...again, we already know it references his goal of saving a million people because he explained it. Like I said, no one here was confused about what Lumillion referred to when that was all we had. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want to hear this explained: Really, what exactly is it about it having a french connotation elevates his reference to the million that it wouldn't from a different or even faux language?

"She is a cute girl" is never be a proper excuse for lazy naming.

It might be a character thing. Nejire probably just got too distracted by something shiny to think of a proper name. Still....come on.

Well having multiple reference that tie-in together, French hero name+Tintin reference makes for a much better, intelligent and interesting name, then simply saying oh right one million is is goal so million is in his name. That's all really. French readers who get the name will be happy and those searching for the name will be happy to find a cool trivia. It makes it much more cool.

As for Nejire, seeing has she is a happy girl(who seems really expressive and likes attention) having her hero name be Nejire-chan(something like an idol, I'm pushing it a little) would fit her personality. It scream cute and happy and all.

Veelk

Banned
Well having multiple reference that tie-in together, French hero name+Tintin reference makes for a much better, intelligent and interesting name, then simply saying oh right one million is is goal so million is in his name. That's all really. French readers who get the name will be happy and those searching for the name will be happy to find a cool trivia. It makes it much more cool.

I've literally never seen an instance where more than one reference was ever needed and elevated anything. And I don't see any argument for why they would. Like, what am I supposed to think? "It was okay when I noticed X face was similar to Y, but when I noticed his name was Z-like, which is where Y originated, I just lost. my. shit."?

I...don't get that. You keep saying it adds something, but I just have no idea what. It's just a connection we already have and this is good because ???

As for Nejire, seeing has she is a happy girl(who seems really expressive and likes attention) having her hero name be Nejire-chan(something like an idol, I'm pushing it a little) would fit her personality. It scream cute and happy and all.

If you say so. Personally, I think it's more likely that she forgot she was supposed to come up with a hero name so by the time the teacher asked 'And whats your name" she just replied with her actual name thinking the teacher forgot. That explanation is more in character because that's literally the most salient thing about her character thus far. Nothing I've seen shows her having a connection to idols other than that she looks cute, but...taht's nearly every manga girl.

I've literally never seen an instance where more than one reference was ever needed and elevated anything. And I don't see any argument for why they would. Like, what am I supposed to think? "It was okay when I noticed X face was similar to Y, but when I noticed his name was Z-like, which is where Y originated, I just lost. my. shit."?

I...don't get that. You keep saying it adds something, but I just have no idea what. It's just a connection we already have and this is good because ???

Change the okay for cool and that's basically how I reacted, ok maybe I didn't lose my shit lol, but still. I like these kind of trivia. They don't elevate something that hugely, but it's fun. Gives a character a cool reference. It's also probably how Horikoshi thought of it. I think you are searching for a deeper meaning that isn't there. It's good because it's good. It's a french name for a character that reference a french character.

You never go oh snap that's a cool reference! ?

If you say so. Personally, I think it's more likely that she forgot she was supposed to come up with a hero name so by the time the teacher asked 'And whats your name" she just replied with her actual name thinking the teacher forgot. That explanation is more in character

I mean that's surely a possibility, but she doesn't look that kind of dumb. She looks carefree and why I think my explanation fits a little better. But really maybe the man himself will explain eventually.

Veelk

Banned
You never go oh snap that's a cool reference! ?

Only when it's an internal reference within the work itself. Or atleast used to augment the ongoing storyline. If it's just a "Look, this thing is kinda like this other thing" without it actually being used to elevate the story, I see it as window dressing at best.

Mirio's look is a good example of it. I like it because it's unique and gives a weird vibe when interacting with other characters. But insofar as "He looks like Tintin", that just means nothing to me.

I mean that's surely a possibility, but she doesn't look that kind of dumb. She looks carefree and why I think my explanation fits a little better. But really maybe the man himself will explain eventually.

Not dumb, just has a serious case of ADHD. I adore Nejire because she asks the kind of questions I would, even if she doesn't stick around for the answers, and is very amusing.

No offense, but I don't like you're explanation because it just reduces her to her looks, especially when nothing about her has suggested that she pays any attention to her cuteness in the first place.

There was a translator note on the version I saw that her regular name can be translated as Water Spiral or something like that, which isn't a bad hero name for her at first blush.

Could also be that she hasn't picked a name for herself, like how some of Deku's class hasn't.

Veelk

Banned
Could also be that she hasn't picked a name for herself, like how some of Deku's class hasn't.

Yeah, but Todoroki did it because he's SRS BSN boy. I wouldn't see Nejire missing out on that kinda fun if she could help it.

Edit: Bakugou tried to give himself one, but they were all rejected because he is a psycho. Maybe it was something similar with Nejire where she just kept coming up with random names until the instructor just gave up.

Only when it's an internal reference within the work itself. Or atleast used to augment the ongoing storyline. If it's just a "Look, this thing is kinda like this other thing" without it actually being used to elevate the story, I see it as window dressing at best.

Mirio's look is a good example of it. I like it because it's unique and gives a weird vibe when interacting with other characters. But insofar as "He looks like Tintin", that just means nothing to me.

Not dumb, just has a serious case of ADHD. I adore Nejire because she asks the kind of questions I would, even if she doesn't stick around for the answers, and is very amusing.

No offense, but I don't like you're explanation because it just reduces her to her looks, especially when nothing about her has suggested that she pays any attention to her cuteness in the first place.
Heh it's fine we will have to agree to disagree on our interpretation, continuing our conversion only makes us go in circle at this point. But that's what cool with pieces of entertainment we each have our own point of view.

Yeah, but Todoroki did it because he's SRS BSN boy. I wouldn't see Nejire missing out on that kinda fun if she could help it.

Edit: Bakugou tried to give himself one, but they were all rejected because he is a psycho. Maybe it was something similar with Nejire where she just kept coming up with random names until the instructor just gave up.

See, that sounds plausible to me. She just Cloud Cuckoolander'd her way out of a name.

Also, LTTP, but god DAMN is Suneater a cool name. Dude has a fantastic costume too.

See, that sounds plausible to me. She just Cloud Cuckoolander'd her way out of a name.

Also, LTTP, but god DAMN is Suneater a cool name. Dude has a fantastic costume too.

Loved the design of that character. As a student was pretty meh but as a hero, looks awesome.

Still can't figure out if there's another 1A classmate behind Kirishima on that panel or if it's a new character.

cntr

Banned
Yeah I don't see a huge difference between Lumillion and Lemillion, except that the latter sounds French-ish, and the former sounds like it's based on 'illuminate' (which it apparently isn't?).

Well, "nejire" means 'twist' so 'Nejire-chan' is, loosely speaking, the Japanese equivalent of a name like "Twist GIrl". That's how I see it.

...that said yeah, she totally seems like the kind of character who'd pull a Bakugou and couldn't come up with a name the teacher would accept, lol.

speaking of, if some of the stuff Horikoshi wrote about proto-MHA is still true, Bakugou's hero name is
Ground Zero

cntr

Banned
also, can we take a moment to appreciate Deku's drawing "skills"

tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo1_1280.png

tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo2_1280.png
tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo3_1280.png

tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo4_1280.png
tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo5_1280.png

tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo6_1280.png
tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo7_1280.png

tumblr_onda01kBdS1r17hugo8_1280.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Some interesting stuff came out of the interview in Jump with Horikoshi.

A big thing is that Horikoshi was asked who was going to have a bigger role in series for 2017. Horikoshi replied "Obviously Deku". Horikoshi mentioned that he isn't sure if it will happen in 2017 but Shinsou will have some interesting development. If you don't remember Shinsou, he's the mind control guy that we have been thinking would join one of the hero classes at some time. Aizawa walking with him a long time ago in the hallway only made it more likely.

The interviewer asked about Mineta and Horikoshi laughed saying "That would be hilarious".

Horikoshi says he spends around 6 days on storyboards alone and does all of the final art on the last day (wtf).

Ascheroth

A big thing is that Horikoshi was asked who was going to have a bigger role in series for 2017. Horikoshi replied "Obviously Deku". Horikoshi mentioned that he isn't sure if it will happen in 2017 but Shinsou will have some interesting development. If you don't remember Shinsou, he's the mind control guy that we have been thinking would join one of the hero classes at some time. Aizawa walking with him a long time ago in the hallway only made it more likely.

The interviewer asked about Mineta and Horikoshi laughed saying "That would be hilarious".

Horikoshi says he spends around 6 days on storyboards alone and does all of the final art on the last day (wtf).
The real absolute madman.
But that explains why the pacing is so good.
It also explains why that one chapter was so rough, last minute sickness will do that with such a workflow.

Trojita

I guess I should correct myself. He says that it can take up to 6 days to do the storyboarding. He mentions it takes some time for him to rev up (I'm guessing getting into a state of wanting to do it or trying to figure out what you want to do). He indeed does mention that all the final art is done on the last day.

Horikoshi mentions Spider-Man being a huge influence on My Hero Academia.

If he could do a cross over with a western comic, it would be Spider-Man.

The character that is most like himself is Midoriya. Horikoshi goes on to say "[Midoriya's] actually pretty negative in his thinking, and that's a lot like me" lol

He also mentions being on stage made him want to get off and run away as soon as possible, so I'm guessing Suneater might representing another part of Horikoshi.

WarRock

Early Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty similar in some story beats and themes to Hero Academia, no surprise here.

Also, you guys keep saying Million is a Tintin reference... yeah, I guess. But this is what popped into my head when I first saw him:

cntr

Banned
Horikoshi wore a mask at Jump Festa, so guess he's pretty shy, lol.

He should hang out with Yoko Taro some day.

Trojita

Man, the changes between the early stuff and the Official Translation is still pretty big.

Right before they fist bump All Might tells Deku that if he's going to help him fight fate "Just don't mess up that hand while doing it".

Nejire doesn't call the two gigantification guys fighting weird. She thinks they might be fighting because they have the same quirk, which she thinks is weird. Goes along with her personality.

Tsuyu and Uraraka say Ultimate together on the panel before their attack. The attack name is Meteor Fafrotskies.

Which is a real term

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fafrotskies
Etymology

Condensation of falls from the skies, term coined by cryptozoologist Ivan T. Sanderson.
Noun

fafrotskies (uncountable)

Precipitation of objects from the sky that are not normally expected e.g. frogs, fish, coins etc.

Such a weird thing to reference. But it makes sense. There are rocks AND a frog falling from the sky. It should be pointed out that Uraraka seems to have improved her floating ability, she is floating along with the rocks before the attack hits. Froppy as well is up there.

Edit:

More stuff to add. It's a nuance, but I think it is something that should be mentioned. Nejire doesn't say "Full Charge Output 30", she's saying "Charging Complete, Output Level 30". That was her charging in the detail of the panel where she is saying that.

Nejire didn't just bring them, she recommended Uraraka and Tsuyu.

They weren't turned down by their internship heroes. It is stated that they couldn't work with their old internship heroes.

Also it is mentioned that 1st year students can only work at an accomplished hero agency.

I respect it.

Veelk

Banned
I still think that mangaka would put out much better quality material if the schedule was bimonthly instead of weekly. Horikoshi's art is super impressive, but can you imagine if he had an extra week to get everything just right?

cntr

Banned
I still think that mangaka would put out much better quality material if the schedule was bimonthly instead of weekly. Horikoshi's art is super impressive, but can you imagine if he had an extra week to get everything just right?
That's probably because of business crap. Shounen Jump (and most manga magazines) are printed on what's basically recycled toilet paper, so the detail of the art is totally lost anyway.

Volume releases are printed on high quality paper, so that's when artists take the chance to touch up the art and get it perfect. A lot of people in Japan buy and read volume releases instead of bothering with the weekly magazine 'cause of that, and that's where most of the profit comes from anyway.

...Jump should totally increase their backlogs, though. Authors have a backlog of three weeks, where stuff like Weekly Shounen Magazine has like, eight.

Not really? We still get authors of monthly manga still pressing and unable to completely finish everything before their deadlines.

Trojita

Waifu

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vMbC7Xt.jpg[/IMG]

That feel when you go back to reread My Hero Academia and you find out that this collaboration including Deku, Red Riot, Uravity, and Froppy was predicted by the manga almost 100 chapters before the current issue.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SeeBdfL.jpg[/IMG]

That feel when you go back to reread My Hero Academia and you find out that this collaboration including Deku, Red Riot, Uravity, and Froppy was predicted by the manga almost 100 chapters before the current issue.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SeeBdfL.jpg[/IMG]
Oh man thats a really cool catch! Full of hope on an arc which will get some great Kirishima moments!

Also I have been thinking about this but are the only hero with quirks that can work against Overhaul; Nighteye and Mirio?

There is Eraser head too I guess.

Oh man thats a really cool catch! Full of hope on an arc which will get some great Kirishima moments!

Also I have been thinking about this but are the only hero with quirks that can work against Overhaul; Nighteye and Mirio?

There is Eraser head too I guess.

Anybody with a ranged quick would work, no? Dude isn't really that dangerous outside of hand-to-hand range. Bakugou or Todoroki would be my first thought. Hell, Navel Laser could probably take him, given the right setup.

And yeah, Eraserhead would absolutely destroy him. Turn off his quirk and he's just some dude.

Anybody with a ranged quick would work, no? Dude isn't really that dangerous outside of hand-to-hand range. Bakugou or Todoroki would be my first thought. Hell, Navel Laser could probably take him, given the right setup.

And yeah, Eraserhead would absolutely destroy him. Turn off his quirk and he's just some dude.
I guess range quirks would kind of work. But that's assuming Overhaul's quirk only works on people. I was also searching for like his natural ennemies on the heroes side.

I love that dude. He screams dangerous.

cntr

Banned
Have Mirio be standing in front of some civilians, pull out a gun, shoot him.

that's what I'd do if I was a villian

cntr

Banned
Mirio's quirk relies a lot on strategy, so it's kinda hard to tell when he'd win and when he'd lose. And I mean, that was pretty much what they said in the chapter about him and his quirk, right?

Trojita

Eh I think Horikoshi could have done a better cover

Here's a gift for DTL

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AbJvGS3.jpg[/IMG]

caliph95

Spoilers for 132:
Suneater's quirk is reproduction, he can reproduce the characteristics of the food he ate. some highlights like having a chicken leg and clams for hands
Little Overhaul minion looks he can grow a huge muscular arm or body mass from himself
Also not sure but Overhaul doesn't like Shigiraki putting his feet a table.

caliph95

Good setup chapter. Suneater's quirk is crazy, yo.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the darts work only temporarily.

I'm waiting for translation because it Compress still can't use his quirk and it has to be a while plus Overhaul wants to copy All for one and take away quirks so i assumed it's permanent unless treated. I hope not Suneater is new best boy

Top Bottom