• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Toadofsky

Banned
Do you have any more of them in high res? I'd love to use fw of them as actual covers.

I had a Flickr account for these covers, but I have forgotten my password and the login I had for it. It may have been deleted since I've done nothing with it.

Give me some time and I'll put up a ZIP file of all the ones I have done so far. They should ALL be 300 pixels format, so that you won't lose any image quality. The file will probably a big download, but shouldn't be anything more than about 100mb.

Here are the covers I have completed so far

Completed Covers

IrishNinja

those universal game cases are great, but i still had a bunch left over when i put my NES/SNES collection in them, might have to put them up for sale in the buy/sell thread!

and yeah, id love to see covers done for them too.

anyone want to do a DBZ Budokai HD Collection cover?

XqZtx.jpg
namwC.jpg

Doombear

Absolutely love all three Starfox covers. Nicely done! Though the last one of the three is by far my favorite. I would buy that game just to put that cover on it.

ksdixon

I'm looking at replacing all my 360 DVD cases with PS3 clear cases, mimicking the PS3 size/style of cover. Is there a template avaliable for me to work with to do this?

IrishNinja

kind've a weird request, but...the Club Nintendo 3DS game cases come with a few inserts (old school zelda, few mario ones etc). the japan ones bring Pikmin and some better mario ones, does anyone have these they could scan, or maybe some custom ones? id kill for a good Metroid one!

They finally released this cover in higher resolution:

silenthill_01_cs1w1_1106x1280.jpg

What I'd do for just the naked art alone without the logo, but in even higher resolution to use for a custom cover. Hopefully we'll get it soon.

IrishNinja

kind've a weird request, but...the Club Nintendo 3DS game cases come with a few inserts (old school zelda, few mario ones etc). the japan ones bring Pikmin and some better mario ones, does anyone have these they could scan, or maybe some custom ones? id kill for a good Metroid one!

what i mean, specifically:

i could scan the ones i have at some point, maybe get dimensions? again, stuff like those or custom Metroid, Earthbound, Fire Emblem etc ones would be so cool.

Doombear

Stunning stuff Rocksteady. Very very nice.

Small thing on the Lego Indy cover: the Lego logo on the front still has its black borders.

Otherwise, good stuff.

I assumed it was intentional. I did notice it right away though, I don't mind it. Though I don't think I would mind it without it either.

Man, that awesome fucking boxart is wasted on such a game as SH: Downpour

Hey, can anyone make a Wii U cover for Zombi U that isn't fucking terrible like the official one is?

przemekszulim

Neo Member
Can someone do a Ratchet & Clank Collection?

The original is.....somewhat lacking imo

I was scratching my head how to make this cover unique so I've searched a lot of pages about this title and found that R&C have 10th anniversary this year. Then a lot of ideas come to my mind.
Hope you will like this cover as I do :) If you print them, please show your results, it will be a pleasure for me!

And some new variation of GT5 cover

and this simple Rayman Origins cover

and some SWTFU wallpaper edited to fit ps3 template

Got a couple of Nintendo Land covers I whipped up.

nintendolandboxsmall.png

Nice. Can you do one without that yellow line under the WiiU logo ?

Since WiiU box arts are going to start popping up here, should we agree on some sort of standard ? I personally don't like the yellow line that Nintendo decided was needed on their boxes. I know I'm not the only one, as when they unveiled what the official box art template was going to be, a lot of people here had the same gut reaction as me: "wtf is that yellow line doing there?". I think the artists here at Gaf should agree on the following thing: fuck that yellow line.

Toadofsky

Banned
Some more I did, they're rather "eh" for me. If you guys know of some good places to find renders or good quality art, mind sending a link?

tumblr_maizjomaDa1qdkwymo1_500.jpg

tumblr_maizjomaDa1qdkwymo2_250.jpg

tumblr_maizjomaDa1qdkwymo3_250.jpg

Larger link

Criticism or critiquing is fully welcomed and appreciated.

przemekszulim

Neo Member
Some more I did, they're rather "eh" for me. If you guys know of some good places to find renders or good quality art, mind sending a link?

Donkey Kong cover is really interesting. I like that retro touch on these. You should make some covers for ps3 also ;)

IrishNinja

Criticism or critiquing is fully welcomed and appreciated.

i love retro covers, and dig the minimal/alternate sort've thing youve got going, but using your last batch: the metroid one works, but the darkness from the back cover stopping right after the spine is a bit jarring. its not a major thing, but then the next one goes from b&w on the cover to a color scheme at the spine/rear and just feels indecisive, despite the matching theme of the images....likewise with DKC, i see the similarity/theme but doing them that way looks like you're going for a wrap-around cover and its not flowing as well as it could.

i use a lotta customs from the cover project, and most of them are just using old templates, granted - hence my love for this thread. but if you want to use 2 images on each side of different color schemes, perhaps a spine not married to either would work better? sorry if that doesnt make sense, just trying to help; again i love what you're going for here.

Toadofsky

Banned
i love retro covers, and dig the minimal/alternate sort've thing youve got going, but using your last batch: the metroid one works, but the darkness from the back cover stopping right after the spine is a bit jarring. its not a major thing, but then the next one goes from b&w on the cover to a color scheme at the spine/rear and just feels indecisive, despite the matching theme of the images....likewise with DKC, i see the similarity/theme but doing them that way looks like you're going for a wrap-around cover and its not flowing as well as it could.

i use a lotta customs from the cover project, and most of them are just using old templates, granted - hence my love for this thread. but if you want to use 2 images on each side of different color schemes, perhaps a spine not married to either would work better? sorry if that doesnt make sense, just trying to help; again i love what you're going for here.

Thank you for the criticism, jerk (just kidding). I'll try to get these AND future covers to flow a bit better.

I'm thinking of just making a separate Tumblr just for my covers, but I haven't decided yet. They just got featured on the gaming section of Tumblr.

So far, I have a few more retro covers to do, I'm kinda doing these for the sole purpose of my OWN collection of Super NES games. I've got a few 3DS and DS games I'm probably going to work on next.

przemekszulim

Neo Member
This is cover which I'm working on. I think it still needs some polishing here and there but it can be printed with no trouble.
It was a big challenge to find some good photo/graphic matching the game unique style. The car on the cover is BMW M3 GT2 and it is a successor of well known BMW M3 GTR which was on the official Most Wanted cover. These two cars have been made for the same purpose and both have V8 engines.

I want to add some elements from the old Most Wanted. Also I want to show that this is 19th title in Need for Speed series. Another one from Criterion studio.

Feel free to comment!

dark_chris

Gold Member
Can anyone make a cover for Resident Evil 6 using the Japanese cover? =)
I like that cover instead of the version we got in the states.

Toadofsky

Banned
tumblr_mb6vgm1GyT1qdkwymo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mb6vgm1GyT1qdkwymo2_500.jpg

I think I'll be taking a break on these for a while, I'm starting to run out of ideas for them.

Do you guys have any links to high quality scans of artwork specifically of Nintendo games? Or just to other sites that host high quality scans? Google seems to not give me much that I'm looking for, and I hate scouring Deviantart.

Spierek

I want to add some elements from the old Most Wanted. Also I want to show that this is 19th title in Need for Speed series. Another one from Criterion studio.

Feel free to comment!

That "19" and the Criterion Games' logo stand out a tad too much, but other than that it's a great cover. Well done.

Nice. Can you do one without that yellow line under the WiiU logo ?

Since WiiU box arts are going to start popping up here, should we agree on some sort of standard ? I personally don't like the yellow line that Nintendo decided was needed on their boxes. I know I'm not the only one, as when they unveiled what the official box art template was going to be, a lot of people here had the same gut reaction as me: "wtf is that yellow line doing there?". I think the artists here at Gaf should agree on the following thing: fuck that yellow line.

Yes, I can do one without the yellow.

Addressing this standard, I don't think we should force artists to use a certain design. I posted a template that should cover every base though. There's the extreme minimal look, as well as the yellow or white stripe look.

One I made for my friend.

indylego_3D.png

How do I print these?

I rented LEGO Indiana Jones a few years back and forgot to return it. I ended up paying $120 (I tried arguing with them, saying I'm not dumb, I know MSRP is $60 but I got the "da rulez is da rulez") and I'm left with a copy of the game in this horrible Blockbuster rental cover art. I'd love to replace it with this one but wouldn't even begin to know the optimal way of producing it.

EDIT: Yo there's a tutorial in the very first post.

Mr. Sam

Hnng. So many gorgeous, gorgeous covers on this page. I want to buy some of these games just so I have a reason to print the covers out. I'm particularly in love with przemekszulim's Ratchet cover and RedSwirl's Dishonored cover.

Gui_PT

Don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but many of the links in the OP no longer work because of where it's being hosted.

Any possibility of the people that made the covers, rehosting them?

Top Bottom