• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

sp3ctr3

Yeah, I'm really surprised too that I'm not getting hungry with this seemingly low calorie intake? I'm a little bit hungry about an hour before lunch but that's it.

I don't really eat more than I used to for my regular meals but I cut away all the snacks. I used to eat chocolate, licorice or potato chips almost every day. Must have added to a lot since it would have been more than 800kcal a day in just snacks.

It's good to know that I wont go into starvation mode and I will probably eat more calories on the weekends with eggs and bacon for breakfeast and maybe steak and potatoes for dinner and some snacks. If I keep it to a reasonablr amount it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm doing P90X along with my diet. I've forgotten how long these videos are and I don't like that. Thinking back I thought they were maybe 45min to 60minutes but they're 60 minutes to 90 minutes.

I know that the main part, maybe 75%, of losing weight is the diet. You do the training to speed up the process and tighten up the body.

I'm seriously considering switching back to P90X3.

Measured my bodyfat % with my fat-pliers and it says 24%

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I'm really surprised too that I'm not getting hungry with this seemingly low calorie intake? I'm a little bit hungry about an hour before lunch but that's it.

I don't really eat more than I used to for my regular meals but I cut away all the snacks. I used to eat chocolate, licorice or potato chips almost every day. Must have added to a lot since it would have been more than 800kcal a day in just snacks.
Yup, everything you just mentioned cutting is tragically high-calorie ;_; Love me some potato chips.
It's good to know that I wont go into starvation mode and I will probably eat more calories on the weekends with eggs and bacon for breakfeast and maybe steak and potatoes for dinner and some snacks. If I keep it to a reasonablr amount it shouldn't be too bad.
Should be fine. Eggs in particular are a great, super bioavailable source of protein and vitamins. Potatoes are very calorically dense so be careful, but as long as you watch the quantities you're fine.
I'm doing P90X along with my diet. I've forgotten how long these videos are and I don't like that. Thinking back I thought they were maybe 45min to 60minutes but they're 60 minutes to 90 minutes.
P90X Yoga is the one workout I have ever literally had to take a break and return to later just because its length was killing me. I replaced it with X2 Yoga which I found to be a great comrpomise. But yeah, they're a time commitment to be sure. The nice part about the length is that you're actually keeping your heart rate elevated for a reasonable amount of time and thus burning some legitimate calories.

Measured my bodyfat % with my fat-pliers and it says 24%
Welp you don't have as far to go as I did, that should be good news for you :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just saw Tony Horton advertising the streaming service (a la a free trial) and he has a full beard! Freaked me the hell out.

sp3ctr3

Not a lot of activity in here :(

My progress is going great. My diet is ok. I cheat wednesday and friday but nothing crazy. I don't think I go above my daily required kcal intake.

I don't have a scale so I don't know if I lost weight but I can definitely feel it on my pants and I look awesome in a t-shirt. Fat pliars say that I'm down to 20% body fat.

What I need help with is motivation. I absolutely DREAD getting my workout started but once I pull my ass off the couch I love it.

I want something to motivate me to make that transition from couch to working out a little smoother.

Right now I have the image of Shia LeBeouf in mad head screaming "JUST DO IT!"

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah I actually haven't used a Beachbody program in a while. I think my Club membership lapsed, I got a message that my billing method had expired & I never called to change it. I am kind of interested in messing with Core de Force. $99/year for full access to every current and future program is a hell of a deal so I might re-up.

But for now I've been using my BowFlex Max trainer. The workouts are short (14 or 15 minutes) but intense. You can add more time in 90 second increments.

I'm enjoying the variety of workouts available. The speed interval workouts are good if I'm feeling loose & higher energy, and there are others that vary the resistance on intervals or other "shapes" of peaks & valleys. Another one I like is "stairs", which is a sawtooth program that goes through 6 intervals of 4 steps each of increasing intervals. Yesterday I did a "stairs" workout starting at level 8, so the steps were 8, 10, 12, 14 repeating. Burned 290 calories in 15 minutes, though I've done over 300 on some of the workouts.

My legs are absolutely getting stronger, and you can really engage your upper body and core at higher resistances.

I just need to fix my diet :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You're just bulking!

Crazy to hear you're not doing BB programs anymore since you were Mr. BeachBody around here for a while. :)

Yeah, after 4 years it got kind of samey, even with different workout programs. I needed a change to kick my butt back in gear!

LaneDS

Not Beachbody specific, but I follow Tony Horton on Facebook and signed up for his Dietbet challenge starting soon here:

https://www.dietbet.com/games/93945/activity

I was doing great last year, until August when that WoW expansion came out and that literally killed all my momentum. I've shook that habit, again, and will start back up for this challenge at least and then try to go for 175 or less before year end, like I tried to last year (got to 187 and then I'm back up about TWENTY from that, ugh).

Basically don't play WoW my dudes and lady dudes.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Not Beachbody specific, but I follow Tony Horton on Facebook and signed up for his Dietbet challenge starting soon here:

https://www.dietbet.com/games/93945/activity

I was doing great last year, until August when that WoW expansion came out and that literally killed all my momentum. I've shook that habit, again, and will start back up for this challenge at least and then try to go for 175 or less before year end, like I tried to last year (got to 187 and then I'm back up about TWENTY from that, ugh).

Basically don't play WoW my dudes and lady dudes.

OK, I'm in on the DietBet too! Gotta get ready for a cruise in April, so it's good timing and I need to lose some weight anyway.

Let's DO THIS!

LaneDS

OK, I'm in on the DietBet too! Gotta get ready for a cruise in April, so it's good timing and I need to lose some weight anyway.

Let's DO THIS!

Awesome! Good luck to you and any other GAF members that end up joining with us.

I'm all in on that site after getting more familiar with it, and have enrolled in a "transformer" bet which is a six month long one where you aim to lose 10% of your body weight with it broken up into monthly sections, as well as two other "kickstarters" (a term that really confused me early on, thinking it was a crowdfunded competition) that start at roughly the same time. Confident at a minimum the monetary investment will make sure I hit the goals and at least keep myself from losing the money, and hey, if I earn a few bucks in the process, all the better.

Really neat idea for a site, and I'm glad Tony posted about it since it feels like exactly what I needed.

I got back on the wagon in December, both with proper diet, exercise with proper supplements. All that with Intermittent Fasting has helped me drop 50lbs again and my strength gains have been superb. I've got a long way to go, but I'll do it again.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I got back on the wagon in December, both with proper diet, exercise with proper supplements. All that with Intermittent Fasting has helped me drop 50lbs again and my strength gains have been superb. I've got a long way to go, but I'll do it again.

Awesome! Congrats :)

DietBet update -- weighed in after a week, 72% towards the 4-week goal. Not too shabby! Diet has been good with a couple small hiccups over the weekend. I did miss a few days of exercise. Yesterday I didn't do a workout, but spent a couple hours clearing snow so I'll count it :)

Okay GAF question time. How is T25? Only see one person here who has done it. I've been dieting since my last physical and I've managed to lose around 40 pounds by calorie counting and cutting soda, but it's slowing now and I figure it's a good time to find an exercise routine. Schedule is super hectic with a full class load and a full time job, and T25 fits in really well with my morning schedule. Worth it?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Okay GAF question time. How is T25? Only see one person here who has done it. I've been dieting since my last physical and I've managed to lose around 40 pounds by calorie counting and cutting soda, but it's slowing now and I figure it's a good time to find an exercise routine. Schedule is super hectic with a full class load and a full time job, and T25 fits in really well with my morning schedule. Worth it?

Overall it's a good workout program. You can keep doing each particular phase until you personally are ready to move on, plus it has my favorite cardio workout (Beta Speed 2.0). I'd recommend it, though I also think lifting weights is important and it doesn't incorporate weights until later.

Will probably be upping Bench today, both Incline and Flat Bench. Need to push harder there.

Absolutely wrecked my shoulders last night, so getting a good soreness today feels good. I've abused my legs to the point that unless it's right after the workout, my "walking like a newborn giraffe" days are done.

Dammit.

LaneDS

DietBet fail! Missed it by a little over a pound. Ah well, maybe next time :)

I also failed! Solidarity. I'm pretty fed up with my physical condition and having given up on such progress (again!) so I'm at the part of the cycle where it gets better (again!).

I like the idea of DietBet and plan to try again with multiple bets soon though, if for nothing else to break even.

LaneDS

GAF have any preference between P90X2 or P90X3? The hook to P90X3 seems to be that they are 30 minute work outs?

They're very different programs, so I wouldn't think about them as an either or (comparing X1 and X2 is a little more appropriate, given the workout times being similar, but X2 really sort of builds on X1 in ways where I think X2 would be challenging to start from). It's like you said- X3 is really for that person who doesn't have the time allowed for the longer workouts, but from all accounts it is a very good program even at the shorter length.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Also to get the most out of X2, you need quite a bit of equipment. Aside from dumbbells and a way to do pull-ups, you really need at least 2 (and preferably 4) medicine balls along with a stability ball, a yoga mat and a foam roller. This is optional, but again I'd recommend it to get the most out of the program.

In X3 you only really need dumbbells, a way to do pull-ups and maybe a yoga mat.

LaneDS

Been back at it for the last month now, and am at that point where I feel much better (leaner and stronger) but the scale is telling me I'm heavier than when I started. I've had this problem enough times in the past where I've fallen off and started back up again to where it's at least semi-expected, but it's still sort of frustrating.

Anyway, my current routine has been as follows:

Monday - Chest & Back
Tuesday- Insanity Max 30 Cardio Challenge (modified, still living in a dang condo)
Wednesday- Shoulders & Back
Thursday - X1 Yoga (usually only do this for 50 minutes until the "last vinyasa")
Friday - Legs & Back
Saturday - IM30 Cardio Challenge again

I also run two to four times a week, but only 1-2 miles fairly slowly.

Have done the above the past four weeks now and am hoping continuing along with that, plus good diet which I've largely been doing (let myself eat 2-3 bad meals on the weekends) will get me towards my goals.

Goals are as follows, and they're end of year or farther out goals:

Under 175 lb (right around 215 now, which is ugggh)
Under 15% body fat (no idea where I'm at now, but certainly nowhere close)
25 unassisted pull ups (I think I'm at 5 now)
100 good form push ups in one go (no idea)

Last year before I gave up I was around 189, no idea on BF, and could do 19 pull ups on a good day and close to 90 push ups sometimes so I'm confident those goals are achievable if I stick with it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I hurt my shoulder a bit over a year ago and it *still* gives me problems. Push-ups in particular are painful. So I've taken it easy with weights (read: virtually none) for some time.

I have my BowFlex MAX trainer, and a couple weeks ago I got a Concept 2 rowing machine, so now I'm alternating workouts between the two. Both are excellent for full-body HIIT/cardio workouts, and each works different muscle groups in different ways so it's a great balance. I'm still working on making rowing with correct form automatic.

Mostly I need to get my eating back on track!

Pyrokai

Well guys, I decided I need to get back into it as well. I basically haven't worked out for real since October last year. Just been a whirlwind of events plus the holidays.

Then in January (January 1st actually) I ended up in the ER for a throat abscess that needed to be removed, then I started getting monthly strep throat....so finally my tonsils were removed last month.

And now I think I'm finally ready to start exercising again. Every time I'd start, I'd get sick again. I'm hoping my tonsillectomy will mean a healthier future for me starting today!

To get back into exercising, I thought I'd simply start with good ol' P90X but changing up the cardio days with some Insanity cardio routines because I like them way more. I was once in really good shape sticking primarily to this, so I'm looking forward to that again. Hopefully my "muscle memory" will kick in and I can develop a good base more quickly than I did my very first time like 3 years ago.

I'd actually like to lose about 10-15 pounds. I sorta started getting a little skinny-fat since October and I would like to lose the fat I've put on to get my lean physique back. Then after I'm happy with where I'm that regarding that, I'm going to start trying to gain mass. Whether I use a Beachbody product or not for that is TBD, but I know that my ultimate goal is to cut right now so I can more freely bulk in the future. (I say this hating the terms cut and bulk lol)

So today's goal is to go to the grocery store and buy my weekly food, and then clear out all the junk I've accumulated at home. I'm going to start into this seriously tomorrow and I want to meal prep today.

I'm also going to figure out my calories + macros today. I was thinking about just doing the P90X OG meal plan.....but it's just SO much protein. I think they call for a 50/25/25 split for the first month and that just seems so extreme. I know the science has changed a little, so I was considering a 40/30/30 split instead. You guys think that would be a bit better? Or maybe I should do what they call for if my primary goal is shedding the fat as quickly as possible.

In addition to this, I'm going to be biking to work every day, so i need to calculate that calorie burn into my diet. Ugh. Math session ahead for me!

LaneDS

Good goals for good reasons, so good luck! I'm a bit more than a month back into it and feeling much better in general so I suspect this'll be worth it for you. Even if you do get sick just pace yourself and workout when you're feeling up for it. I find early on I'm much more likely to get sick so it wouldn't surprise me if you run into something similar. But yeah, best of luck!

Pyrokai

Thanks, man! Always appreciate a reply. It also helps me to make a post like that when I'm ready to begin a new regime. It's like an official starting marker for me, ha.

sp3ctr3

What I need help with is motivation. I absolutely DREAD getting my workout started but once I pull my ass off the couch I love it.

I want something to motivate me to make that transition from couch to working out a little smoother.

Right now I have the image of Shia LeBeouf in mad head screaming "JUST DO IT!"

Still struggling with the motivation... Does anyone have any tips on how to wake up the body pre-workout? I have about an hour drive home from work and when I finally get home I'm all but ready to take a nap on the couch.

In this state I absolutely loathe the idea of working out but I usually force myself to start and once I get started I really love it.

I've been thinking about going for a short walk when I get home. Walking requires nothing but is it enough to kickstart the system? Anyone else struggling with this and/or have any tips?

I was at an arcade party this past weekend with a bunch of friends I haven't seen for about 4 months. First thing they asked was if I had lost weight? I don't think I look leaner/thinner but I do feel that my clothes are more loose. Was nice :)

LaneDS

Still struggling with the motivation... Does anyone have any tips on how to wake up the body pre-workout? I have about an hour drive home from work and when I finally get home I'm all but ready to take a nap on the couch.

In this state I absolutely loathe the idea of working out but I usually force myself to start and once I get started I really love it.

I've been thinking about going for a short walk when I get home. Walking requires nothing but is it enough to kickstart the system? Anyone else struggling with this and/or have any tips?

I was at an arcade party this past weekend with a bunch of friends I haven't seen for about 4 months. First thing they asked was if I had lost weight? I don't think I look leaner/thinner but I do feel that my clothes are more loose. Was nice :)

Could you prep a pre-workout drink to drink when you're around 30 minutes from home? So you've got that extra kick? I admit sometimes I take that stuff and still conk out for a nap (which is crazy) but usually after taking it I make myself go through with the workout.

Also, can you change into workout clothes before the drive home? I've known people that works pretty well for.

sp3ctr3

I don't know if changing into my workout clothes will make a difference. It's so hot in my house at this time that I work out in only shorts lol

A pre-workout drink sounds like a good idea. I will try that. There's actually a gas station on the halway mark where I could get a booster or a coffee.

sp3ctr3

Tried the pre-workout drink thing and it's not working I tried a cup of coffee just before I left work. Didn't work.
I've tried to buy a cup of coffee at the gas station at the half way mark. Didn't work, but I have to say that I think it helped a little to get out and stretch the legs.
Tried a Redbull at the gas station and that didn't really help either.

For a couple of days now I've tried something that works and gets me energized. Well more than doing nothing at all but atleast I get enough of a boost to be able to work out after work when I get home. What I do is:

Turn off my car when I get home. Just sit there with my eyes closed and meditate for 5 minutes. Car is great for cancelling out noises and I just sit the and focus on my breathing while I count.
Afterwards I go for a short walk up to the cul-de-sac and back on my dead end street.

Seems to wake up my body and I can do something else than just lie on the couch.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I got married earlier this year and put on some massive post-wedding weight :/

I lost 20 pounds last time I did Insanity, so I decided to do it again because going to the gym is not working at all for me. Unfortunately, it looks like I've lost my Insanity DVDs during my move to a new house earlier this year, so I decided to order Insanity Max 30. I just got it this week and this workout is really tough(in a good way).

I don't know if it's just me though, but I'm having to spend like a good 10 seconds at each exercise just learning the move and trying to coordinate. I seem to be having a much harder time doing that than I did with regular Insanity.

Top Bottom