• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

DarkKyo

nPhcE.jpg

Ugh.

KillGore

I know many will disagree with me since he looks emo-ish in the first pic but w/e

How do you go from this:

254px-KH2-Riku_cg.png

to this:

191px-Riku_%28Scan%29_KH3D.png

No gaf, I don't think he looks horrible in either of them but it's the inconsistency of it. The first picture is of Riku on Kingdom Hearts 2 while the second picture is from Riku in Kingdom Hearts 3D, which happens AFTER the second game. He looks smaller, younger now. It's obviously not as bad a the Reptile example but they should stick with one character concept and stick with it, not change it.

DarkKyo

No gaf, I don't think he looks horrible in either of them but it's the inconsistency of it. The first picture is of Riku on Kingdom Hearts 2 while the second picture is from Riku in Kingdom Hearts 3D, which happens AFTER the second game. He is smaller, younger now. It's obviously not as bad a the Reptile example but they should stick with one character concept and stick with it, not change it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 3D happen before 2?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sorry, but that image is a fan edit that you obviously selected for its maximum douche factor.

Here's a guy who doesn't fuck around.

ZXlxp.jpg

Looks like an emo junior high kid who dyed his hair white instead of black to be "different" in his little cliche group.

DarkKyo

He's skinny, has panties on, and his sword is a triangle. If I remember correctly, his gun is a handgun instead of an arm cannon too, right?

It's a different art style to begin with... but just imagine he loses his pants armor to reveal his awesome metal panties.

duckroll

No gaf, I don't think he looks horrible in either of them but it's the inconsistency of it. The first picture is of Riku on Kingdom Hearts 2 while the second picture is from Riku in Kingdom Hearts 3D, which happens AFTER the second game. He is smaller, younger now. It's obviously not as bad a the Reptile example but they should stick with one character concept and stick with it, not change it.

KH3D takes place in a dream world. Both Sora and Riku's appearances are that of their younger selves because in their hearts they will be forever young. <3

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
KH3D takes place in a dream world. Both Sora and Riku's appearances are that of their younger selves because in their hearts they will be forever young. <3

Made me think of that hilarious cutscene in KH1 or KH2 (can't remember which one it was) where Sora is rejoicing over finally having found his potential love interest Kairi again.. ..because now she can help him look for Riku.

KillGore

Is this true? I'm guessing you're kidding but I seriously have not read the plot of KH3D, and this does seem possible on a KH game LOL

Zomba13

I know many will disagree with me since he looks emo-ish in the first pic but w/e

How do you go from this:

254px-KH2-Riku_cg.png

to this:

191px-Riku_%28Scan%29_KH3D.png

It's all a dreeeeeam so they can look however they want. They still look like their KH2 selves but in the dream training world stuff they look like their younger selves for some reason that may or may not be explained in the game and may or may not be convoluted as shit.

Made me think of that hilarious cutscene in KH1 or KH2 (can't remember which one it was) where Sora is rejoicing over finally having found his potential love interest Kairi again.. ..because now she can help him look for Riku.
To be fair though he assumed Kairi was all safe and sound on Destiny Islands but didn't know where the fuck Riku ended up after closing the door at the end of KH. It made sense for him to worry about Riku more than her.

duckroll

Is this true? I'm guessing you're kidding but I seriously have not read the plot of KH3D, and this does seem possible on a KH game LOL

Why would I be kidding? KH3D is the prologue to KH3. Sora and Riku are undergoing the Mark of Mastery to prepare for the final battle.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is a complaint I'm having with more Japanese games, and I think it's just a general change in anime art styles over the last decade that I don't really like.

This is generally correct. Anyone can witness the evolution of character design for Japanese designers when you consider the past two decades of animation design itself.

Example:

old Marth

vJBCB.jpg

new Marth

bzqgg.png

KillGore

It's all a dreeeeeam so they can look however they want. They still look like their KH2 selves but in the dream training world stuff they look like their younger selves for some reason that may or may not be explained in the game and may or may not be convoluted as shit.

IIRC yes, yes it is.

Thanks!

Why would I be kidding? KH3D is the prologue to KH3. Sora and Riku are undergoing the Mark of Mastery to prepare for the final battle.

Because it seems like a silly plot point, but like I said, it does makes sense in the KH universe.

I will. It's bad. NuCroft is a lot of what is "wrong" with current gaming wrapped in one overly dirty, faux realistic reboot.

I'd prefer that to the comical absurdity that was her old character model....

600full-tomb-raider-iii%3A-the-adventures-of-lara-croft-artwork.jpg

Don't worry, you still have Capcom and Namco for your basketball breasted women in their underwear.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Compared to a lot of other examples of this, this one is pretty tame. And an improvement.

I'm hardly saying that it is a character design anomaly, more that it is proving the fact of what I quoted. Fire Emblem's characters changed throughout the years; they went from typical anime style of the 80s to its current phase today. If there is anything to dislike then the unstoppable generational change should be to blame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
New Soma would fit perfectly in Castlevania: Scooby Doo.

I feel if you made some kind of half-comedy spin-off game, it would work perfectly, but as a sequel/redesign it makes zero sense.

KamenSenshi

I'd prefer that to the comical absurdity that was her old character model....

600full-tomb-raider-iii%3A-the-adventures-of-lara-croft-artwork.jpg

Don't worry, you still have Capcom and Namco for your basketball breasted women in their underwear.

Maybe my pic didn't load, but you do realize she hasn't looked like that for over a decade now, right? Her recent look was this:
tomb-raider-2.jpg

which was realistic enough.

Kite from the first four .hack// games:

.hack..Infection.307758.jpg

art-01-kite.jpg

images

VS

Kite from the last .hack// game, Link:
Kite_%28LINK_-_Xth_Form%29.JPG

IMOQ Kite got shit DONE. Does Link Kite look like someone who gets shit DONE? No. He does not! He looks like he's ready to go to a fashion show.

Get the fuck out of here CC2.

Anth0ny

Body-wise it's fine, and I guess an improvement (though unashamedly culled from Madagascar), but facially they look repulsive.

It's mostly the eyes. Why in the name of fuck did they make Banjo and Kazooie's eyes so lazy?

iNEJF1vCGmIg2.png

That's a little better...

Definitely. Those eyes make them look evil. Especially Kazooie. Jesus. She looks like a gremlin or something.

Gold from Pokemon GSC:

Gold_1.png

now:

AC8Xx.jpg

Horrifying.

KamenSenshi

"She still looked stupid this generation."

I don't really understand the looks stupid thing considering she lost the overly exaggerated hourglass figure of the 32bit gen for a more realistic look, which seems to be what everyone wants now a days. At least she still had some character, and didn't look like they just pulled someone of the street to model for a torture raider game.

jay

"She still looked stupid this generation."

I don't really understand the looks stupid thing considering she lost the overly exaggerated hourglass figure of the 32bit gen for a more realistic look, which seems to be what everyone wants now a days. At least she still had some character, and didn't look like they just pulled someone of the street to model for a torture raider game.

My problem with the design is it seemed to go from overtly sexist to subtly sexist. I am sure people will just think I'm reading things that aren't there, but the vast majority of male leads are not portrayed as bloody and dirty. Instead of sexpot they are now showing victim Lara, and with a demo of her constantly moaning to boot.

I understand they are saying this is portraying her as strong and a survivor, I just find it slightly questionable.

Are you one of the creeps who downloads those CLEAN PRETTY WHITE LADIES mods for Skyrim?

No.

My problem with the design is it seemed to go from overtly sexist to subtly sexist. I am sure people will just think I'm reading things that aren't there, but the vast majority of male leads are not portrayed as bloody and dirty. Instead of sexpot they are now showing victim Lara, and with a demo of her constantly moaning to boot.

I understand they are saying this is portraying her as strong and a survivor, I just find it slightly questionable.

Tomb-Raider_Underworld_lara_FULLBODY_final.jpg

She was dirty as all get out in the promotional materials for Underworld.

Also, Nathan Drake says hi.

nathandrake.jpg

KamenSenshi

This is just one of my complaints against the new version, so I see where you are coming from.

What happens to Nate in that scene is different than a game where they make it a point to show how your female lead can get caught and tortured, hung from ceilings, and different ways of killing her, all as she moans "seductively".

B.K.

The devolution of Shion Uzuki:

Xenogears Episode I concept art
fFACD.jpg

Xenosaga Episode I
nt46km.jpg

Xenosaga Episode II
RCGer.jpg

Xenosaga Episode III
ZJzlx.jpg

Top Bottom