• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

sphinx

the piano man
awesome,

Henryk won't appear at the tomb and Eileen isn't outside the cathedral anymore.

fucking games and their missable stuff.

Melchiah

Yeah, farming blood vials is a pain early on.
Considering you're basically at the end now, it's probably easier to go to Mergo's Loft Middle, fight all the enemies there, then go back down the lift, throw yourself off and respawn (make sure you pick your echoes back up obviously). The pigs drop 3 vials most times, and there's 3 of them, and the Shadows can drop them too. You get around 70,000 echoes per run, and the two pigs that are together can fight the Shadows, which helps make it easier. Just spend those echoes on buying vials.

Using Bold Hunter's Mark respawns you to the last lantern with all Blood Echoes you've gained. You get about 100k echoes per 4-minute run with all three Moon runes equipped.

Perineum

I was planning on retreading through this this summer to see all the DLC content.

Should I:

Do a new game plus if I havent played since I beat it upon original release?

or

Start a new game and do all the content without a new game + to get to the DLC content?

Anyone feel like helping me kill a boss? I'm getting sick of getting close and dying.

The One Reborn.

I'd offer to help, but I'm not sure if I'm too high a level (107).
I'm also not really familiar with how co-op works on this. Does the host and helper pick a unique password, then the helper uses the small beckoning bell?

Okay so my NG+ play through has gone pretty well, beat most bosses within two attempts...apart from Micolash.

I swear this game is cheating at times. I've fought him 11 times now, and on 4 occasions I've gotten him down to a pixel of health and he one shots me with his Arcane spell.

The last time I shot him to interrupt the first spell, dashed into attack with R1 and he cast the spell immediately again with almost zero start-up. I hadn't even finished the dash and I was dead.

Not sure why it's giving me a problem, beat him on the third attempt first time.

And the big issue is the tedious run from the lamp at Nightmare of Menis, why does it not spawn at the one beside the elevator shortcut?

So, Lady Maria is straight kicking my ass, but I am getting closer and closer to beating her. I got her to about 1/6th health yesterday before she started roasting me. Unfortunately, I tried to summon help for this one, and I could actually see another player ringing the resonant bell for like 10+ mins, but we couldn't connect. Hopefully I can down this one today and clear the game by next week. I'm on a tight gaming "schedule" as it is without having hold-ups. :(

I'd offer to help, but I'm not sure if I'm too high a level (107).
I'm also not really familiar with how co-op works on this. Does the host and helper pick a unique password, then the helper uses the small beckoning bell?

That's exactly how it works.

Okay so my NG+ play through has gone pretty well, beat most bosses within two attempts...apart from Micolash.

I swear this game is cheating at times. I've fought him 11 times now, and on 4 occasions I've gotten him down to a pixel of health and he one shots me with his Arcane spell.

The last time I shot him to interrupt the first spell, dashed into attack with R1 and he cast the spell immediately again with almost zero start-up. I hadn't even finished the dash and I was dead.

Not sure why it's giving me a problem, beat him on the third attempt first time.

And the big issue is the tedious run from the lamp at Nightmare of Menis, why does it not spawn at the one beside the elevator shortcut?

I would recommend sticking to him like glue. He won't use A Call Beyond if you're in close, he'll just use the Ebrietas and punch you. Also, you can stun him really easily. I don't think I got hit at all when I beat him... after like my 10th try lol

So, Lady Maria is straight kicking my ass, but I am getting closer and closer to beating her. I got her to about 1/6th health yesterday before she started roasting me. Unfortunately, I tried to summon help for this one, and I could actually see another player ringing the resonant bell for like 10+ mins, but we couldn't connect. Hopefully I can down this one today and clear the game by next week. I'm on a tight gaming "schedule" as it is without having hold-ups.

I've just got to her now, and I've died once on each phase so far. The first phase has been the trickiest for me, because that overhead slash has ridiculous tracking.

I've just got to her now, and I've died once on each phase so far. The first phase has been the trickiest for me, because that overhead slash has ridiculous tracking.

I have the timing on when to dodge mostly down for the first two phases. The third one is killing me, but I'll get there, I think. Also, most of the time, the best place to dodge is right on through her. If you time it well, she won't be able to track you on most of her attacks. The worst parts for me are the blood and fire stuff where it's a bit hard to judge what the actual hit boxes are. Staying close to her helps with that.

I have the timing on when to dodge mostly down for the first two phases. The third one is killing me, but I'll get there, I think. Also, most of the time, the best place to dodge is right on through her. If you time it well, she won't be able to track you on most of her attacks. The worst parts for me are the blood and fire stuff where it's a bit hard to judge what the actual hit boxes are. Staying close to her helps with that.

I just beat her. The timing for dodging doesn't seem to change in phase 3, it's just the fire extends the hitboxes. I just waited for the move where she dashes and does two slashes, just dodge left at the last second.
Parry her whenever she does the overhead slash outside of a combo. The visceral attack on her hurts a lot.

Edit: I'm up to
Orphan of Kos
now. I don't even know where to start with this. I got to the second phase with 2 vials left...

sphinx

the piano man
I am kind of overwhelmed with the Chalice dungeon thing. I've read the wiki and other sources and some things still aren't clear.

from what I gather, there are 4 chalices that you get as a reward from killing bosses. The first one is the Pthumeru Chalice from beating the Blood-starved beast.

so I created a dungeon with depth 1, finished it and it gave me some materials to create another dungeon from the same chalice family which apparently would go up on difficulty and length.

right now I have a "Pthumeru root Chalice" and a "Central Pthumeru Chalice", the former creates a randomly generated dungeon the later is always the same, if I understood correctly.,

should I bother creating and beating every single dungeon, including the root ones or are there some that are pointless? some don't seem to have any particular or special reward...

I'm up to
Orphan of Kos
now. I don't even know where to start with this. I got to the second phase with 2 vials left...

here's a video with Bloodborne's Bosses ranked from easiest to hardest, guess who wins ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9g5NkxAt4k

Does Ebrietas force field in the second phase harm herself too? Her health seemed to be going down without me hitting her, and to confirm it she just dropped dead on her own with no final hit from me. I wasn't using poison or anything like that.

should I bother creating and beating every single dungeon, including the root ones or are there some that are pointless? some don't seem to have any particular or special reward...
You don't have to do all of them to reach the final Chalice Dungeon boss.

I can never remember the necessary ones, so I use this as a guide (spoilers on Chalice final boss in the link)

To get the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice [final boss dungeon] and create that dungeon you need to do:
- Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Central Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Lower Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Ailing Loran Chalice Dungeon, for the 2x Bastard of Loran (found in layer 3) needed to create the Defiled Chalice dungeon.
- Defiled Chalice Dungeon
- Lower Loran Chalice Dungeon or Great Isz Chalice Dungeon for the 2x Red Jelly (found in layer 3 of either)... (assuming you also picked up 2x in the chest in the Lecture Building)

Sarcasm

What is the item ? Heck I should probably also ask how exactly do I access the DLC content in general ?

This way:

1. Defeat
    Vicar Amelia
    and activate the
    skull
    in the
    Cathedral
    to turn day into night.
  2. Go to the Hunter’s Dream and receive
    Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter
    from a messenger.
  3. Go to the
    Cathedral Ward
    and leave via the left-hand exit to enter the square.
  4. Go to the right-hand end of the square (where the Hunter Set/Top Hat are located) and the Lesser Amygdala will grab you. This will take you to the new area:
    The Hunter’s Nightmare
  5. Lighting the lamp in the new area will allow you to travel to and from the area via the
    Hunter's Nightmare Awakening Headstone
    in the Hunter’s Dream . It can be found by the
    Insight Shop
    , where the Doll will sometimes kneel and pray.

Perineum

This way:

1. Defeat
    Vicar Amelia
    and activate the
    skull
    in the
    Cathedral
    to turn day into night.
  2. Go to the Hunter’s Dream and receive
    Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter
    from a messenger.
  3. Go to the
    Cathedral Ward
    and leave via the left-hand exit to enter the square.
  4. Go to the right-hand end of the square (where the Hunter Set/Top Hat are located) and the Lesser Amygdala will grab you. This will take you to the new area:
    The Hunter’s Nightmare
  5. Lighting the lamp in the new area will allow you to travel to and from the area via the
    Hunter's Nightmare Awakening Headstone
    in the Hunter’s Dream . It can be found by the
    Insight Shop
    , where the Doll will sometimes kneel and pray.

Damn having not played since release a lot of this isn't something I can connect and understand outright.

Do you agree with the above to just start a new game and not a new game plus in order to access the DLC? Or if I still have my old save before the final boss could I go access it that way or does it have to be a fresh start?

I tried for Orphan of Kos yesterday, but in a very relaxed kind of "let's just read his patterns" kind of way. Man, that was devastating when I was dodging a number of his attacks, but the damage I was putting out was pitiful. I tried maybe 3 times, decided maybe I should try for Laurence first. Tried him, got him to half health, but I died with 2 Vials left. I felt pretty defeated, so I called it a night, and was musing whether to even bother trying them again and just throw in the towel. However, I saw some vids this morning and I am feeling pumped to try some new strategies against them.

The true Bloodborne starts here.

I tried for Orphan of Kos yesterday, but in a very relaxed kind of "let's just read his patterns" kind of way. Man, that was devastating when I was dodging a number of his attacks, but the damage I was putting out was pitiful. I tried maybe 3 times, decided maybe I should try for Laurence first. Tried him, got him to half health, but I died with 2 Vials left. I felt pretty defeated, so I called it a night, and was musing whether to even bother trying them again and just throw in the towel. However, I saw some vids this morning and I am feeling pumped to try some new strategies against them.

The true Bloodborne starts here.

This is where I'm up to. I can get his HP down to around 1/6 left, but he's easily the hardest boss in the game.

I get how you should deal with him, but I'm just having trouble. The second phase seems easier, but I'm already low on vials from the first phase.

Sarcasm

Damn having not played since release a lot of this isn't something I can connect and understand outright.

Do you agree with the above to just start a new game and not a new game plus in order to access the DLC? Or if I still have my old save before the final boss could I go access it that way or does it have to be a fresh start?

I would do everything in my power to use my old save without going to final battle...I am sure you can actually access it.

Just follow the steps...

This is where I'm up to. I can get his HP down to around 1/6 left, but he's easily the hardest boss in the game.

I get how you should deal with him, but I'm just having trouble. The second phase seems easier, but I'm already low on vials from the first phase.

From watching some people play, there's a lunge attack that he tends to overshoot if you are too close, so he ends up jumping over your head. It's a perfect chance to do a backstab > visceral attack. When he's in phase 2, he's easier to circle strafe and get the backstabs in.

From watching some people play, there's a lunge attack that he tends to overshoot if you are too close, so he ends up jumping over your head. It's a perfect chance to do a backstab > visceral attack. When he's in phase 2, he's easier to circle strafe and get the backstabs in.

Yeah, that's the move I've been trying to bait. Your can also parry the dash move, but I can't get the timing of it right consistently.

Edit: I finally got the piece of crap.

Perineum

I have been trying to "parry" or you know do the canned animation attack for extra damage on the backs of enemies but I can't seem to get it off?

Is it R1 or R2? Can it be done in your second stance for a weapon after you L1, or does it have to be in its primary form? Do I have to hold down R1 or R2?

I got past father G in one sitting. Feels good man.

I have been trying to "parry" or you know do the canned animation attack for extra damage on the backs of enemies but I can't seem to get it off?

Is it R1 or R2? Can it be done in your second stance for a weapon after you L1, or does it have to be in its primary form? Do I have to hold down R1 or R2?

You need to do a charged attack (hold R2).

Sarcasm

Parry is when you use your gun at right time the enemy will drop. Walk up if not close enough and hit R1.

For "backstab" you sneak up and in non trick (basically one hand mode) hold R2 to charge. Than R1 for visceral.

chunk3rvd

Anyone done a Kos Parasite / Lumenwood build? Any tips on how to approach the early game stats/build wise and how to beat OoK as quickly as possible?

jviggy43

Anyone done a Kos Parasite / Lumenwood build? Any tips on how to approach the early game stats/build wise and how to beat OoK as quickly as possible?
Doing one right now. Its....easily the more challenging of builds you can do. I Don't do shit for damage and despite pumping solely arcane up the magic isn't near food enough during midgame to help given the limited resources. Early game isn't so bad if you grab tont early

KuroNeeko

Finally beat the
Cleric Beast
. I think it just clicked after a while and I finished with about 60% life or so.

His buddy, Father
G.
on the other hand, still kicked my butt. lol

I think I'm getting used to the alt-fire on the Threaded Cane finally and it actually feels pretty strong outside of the wonky hit detection. I'm currently p-level 22...lol.

sphinx

the piano man
Quesstion: other that one Blood Rock where the
Brain of Mensis
was, where exactly in the chalice dungeons can I get one???

I don't have plus, but I beat the bastard solo and I can give you advice if you need it.

I think I'll get to that boss in the next couple of days, so maybe I'll come here and ask how it's done solo :)

I am at the point of no return in the main game and going to do some Chalice Dungeons and the DLC where it seems bosses are way harder than the main game.

Finally beat the
Cleric Beast
. I think it just clicked after a while and I finished with about 60% life or so.

His buddy, Father
G.
on the other hand, still kicked my butt. lol

I think I'm getting used to the alt-fire on the Threaded Cane finally and it actually feels pretty strong outside of the wonky hit detection. I'm currently p-level 22...lol.

F. Gascoigne is the place to learn about parry (shooting your gun right before an enemy attack hits) + doing visceral attack.

Bring him upstairs and do that or cheese him by having him get stuck behind tombstones and hit with your threaded cane.

Melchiah

F. Gascoigne is the place to learn about parry (shooting your gun right before an enemy attack hits) + doing visceral attack.

Bring him upstairs and do that or cheese him by having him get stuck behind tombstones and hit with your threaded cane.

I dunno if it's still possible to cheese him in the third phase by going to the upper area, and staying close to the fence. He used to remain stuck on the top of the stairs if you did that, and you could easily throw molotovs at him.

Milijango

Brain of Mensis

There are three in the chalices that spawn in Depth 5 dungeons - one in each region (Isz, Loran, and Pthumeru). They never restock, even on NG+, and those chests are replaced by Great One's Wisdom afterwards.

They're only found in root dungeons (though there are plenty convenient glyphs you can find online) so you will need to beat the set version of those depth 5 dungeons first. Good luck. There's also one at the end of the DLC.

Brain of Mensis

I'm not entirely sure, sorry.

You can buy them with insight once you're ready to end the game. When Hunter's Dream
is on fire.

Plus, there's one at the end of the DLC.

sphinx

the piano man
There are three in the chalices that spawn in Depth 5 dungeons - one in each region (Isz, Loran, and Pthumeru). They never restock, even on NG+, and those chests are replaced by Great One's Wisdom afterwards.

They're only found in root dungeons (though there are plenty convenient glyphs you can find online) so you will need to beat the set version of those depth 5 dungeons first. Good luck. There's also one at the end of the DLC.

those this mean I have to have PSN+ to access those root dungeons?

or

if I am offline only, are those 4 Blood rocks you mention all I'll be able to get in a playthrough?

I'm not entirely sure, sorry.

You can buy them with insight once you're ready to end the game. When Hunter's Dream
is on fire.

Plus, there's one at the end of the DLC.

for 60 insight :O is there a way to farm insight in a reasonable time?

those this mean I have to have PSN+ to access those root dungeons?

or

if I am offline only, are those 4 Blood rocks you mention all I'll be able to get in a playthrough?

for 60 insight :O is there a way to farm insight in a reasonable time?

You can use the Madman's Knowledge items to get insight (the bigger version gives two insight). You should have a load of them in your inventory. The little maggots near the gates of the upper Cathedral Ward drop them rarely, but as I said, you'll pick up a load of them throughout the main game.
Insight is effectively pointless, and you generally want to keep it as low as possible, so don't be worried about spending it. Just make sure you keep one Madman's Knowledge for NG+, so you can just use that to wake the Doll up, to save having to see Cleric Beast first.

I bought 3 blood chunks, because I was dumb and forgot that the DLC would have had some, and a blood rock, and I have like 30 Madman's Knowledge worth of insight left to consume, as well as 20+ on me currently. You should easily have enough to buy two if not 3 by the time you're done with everything but the final boss.

sphinx

the piano man
You can use the Madman's Knowledge items to get insight (the bigger version gives two insight). You should have a load of them in your inventory. The little maggots near the gates of the upper Cathedral Ward drop them rarely, but as I said, you'll pick up a load of them throughout the main game.
Insight is effectively pointless, and you generally want to keep it as low as possible, so don't be worried about spending it. Just make sure you keep one Madman's Knowledge for NG+, so you can just use that to wake the Doll up, to save having to see Cleric Beast first.

I bought 3 blood chunks, because I was dumb and forgot that the DLC would have had some, and a blood rock, and I have like 30 Madman's Knowledge worth of insight left to consume, as well as 20+ on me currently. You should easily have enough to buy two if not 3 by the time you're done with everything but the final boss.

that's new to me. why should I keep Insight low?

and yeah I currently have 61 insight on me, have like 50 mandman's knowledge and 6 Great Wisdoms.

about insight, I know it's used for summoning hunters on the red messengers and to buy stuff from the messengers near Gerhmann's area.

is there other use to it (offline)?

also, can't I keep redoing chalice dungeons and get insight from seeing/beating bosses?

that's new to me. why should I keep Insight low?

and yeah I currently have 61 insight on me, have like 50 mandman's knowledge and 6 Great Wisdoms.

about insight, I know it's used for summoning hunters on the red messengers and to buy stuff from the messengers near Gerhmann's area.

is there other use to it (offline)?

also, can't I keep redoing chalice dungeons and get insight from seeing/beating bosses?

I'm not sure about the chalice dungeon stuff, because I only did two floors of it before Vicar Amelia.

High insight reduces your beasthood stat, and lowers your frenzy resistance. Other than making those tentacle faced enemies spawn in Hemwick Channel Lane, the only thing it's really useful for being high is to see the things that happen post blood moon before you beat Rom, so the Amygdalas on the walls, the crying baby sounds etc.

I saw one of those white slug things in the Chalice Dungeons for the first time the other day. I don't remember ever seeing one personally before, I turned a corner and it kind of scared me. Pretty disgusting to look at!

Got busy so I didn't report back, but I beat
Orphan of Kos
with summoned help and then proceeded to beat
Gehrman and Moon Presence
after a few tries. Skipped
Laurence
but I don't feel too bad. I got to the very end of that fight, when he was spewing lava out of his ass, and he had a sliver of health left. Too bitter to try again and I wanted to move onto other games.

Fantastic game overall, despite some persistent annoyances.

Ferr986

I saw one of those white slug things in the Chalice Dungeons for the first time the other day. I don't remember ever seeing one personally before, I turned a corner and it kind of scared me. Pretty disgusting to look at!

I think they only appear in lower tier (2 or 3) root chalices.

EDIT: Nope, just read they do appear in depth 5 too. I only found them in lower tier chalices (like 2 of them in 400 hours lol)

sphinx

the piano man
can you guys suggest what should I improve as I level Up?

I am currently before the final boss but trying to up my levels to stand a chance against DLC bosses and Chalice Dungeons Depth 5. Here how it looks right now:

Level 100

VITALITY 23
STAMINA 33
STRENGTH 45
SKILL 27
BLOODTINGE 11
ARCANE 11

What is a good level to try to go for the harder bosses and dungeons??

I'm not sure about the chalice dungeon stuff, because I only did two floors of it before Vicar Amelia.

High insight reduces your beasthood stat, and lowers your frenzy resistance. Other than making those tentacle faced enemies spawn in Hemwick Channel Lane, the only thing it's really useful for being high is to see the things that happen post blood moon before you beat Rom, so the Amygdalas on the walls, the crying baby sounds etc.

thanks, just bought a Rock and got a+10 Ludwig's Blade to accompany my +10 Hand Axe.

My third favorite weapon would be the Loginus Wheel, will probably be the next when I get the other Blood Rock

This Dog in the Defiled Chalice.
MMq96.gif

I've had him to a sliver twice now and both times I got hit by the most bullshit charge. I've had 0 issues with any boss, well Amygdala on NG+ was a bit of a pain, but this dog....ohhh boy this dog.

I've tried summoning, but no one ever connects.

Top Bottom