• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

tolkir

Well, it has been a good trip. This has been my last episode of Arrowverse. Some good moments, some cringe moments and some bad.
I'm tired to keep these shows weekly and don't have enough time for the entertainment they give to me.

Not best thing have to finish it with a cliffhanger but I'm okay with it. Maybe I will read next year OT to see what it happens.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
He's both. The show was pretty clear there. Malcolm even acknowledged it. He's a very bad person who also loves his daughter. The two can co exist.

I don't even know why you're going after this particular thread. Nobody on the team has liked Merlyn, basically ever, and Thea has resented him ever since the Sara incident and hasn't wavered from that. Merlyn has generally been in it for himself and Thea and that's about it.

May I just say your new outfit in the avatar is fantastic.

Xenoboy

Holy shit, this finale... Holy shit...
That ending, holy shit...
Like goddamn!

Arrowverse is gonna have a heavy start next season...

Hex

Banned
My guess is that they ended up being near where the prison was under the island.
Slade led them in there because it could somehow take the explosion.
Next season they will start off trapped in there with different levels of injury.

Realeza

Banned
Nah, too much retreading and repeating previous seasons, and Chase's planning ahead for outcomes is so ridiculously bullshit he comes across too unrealistic and thus boring.

Better than 3 and 4 though.

You keep spouting the same thing over and over, and people keep disagreeing.

ShadyK54

Nah, too much retreading and repeating previous seasons, and Chase's planning ahead for outcomes is so ridiculously bullshit he comes across too unrealistic and thus boring.

71166728.jpg

GulAtiCa

You retread and repeat this line every post all year long. I still have no idea what you're talking about

carlsojo

Manu Bennett keeps retweeting everyone asking for a Deathstroke spinoff. God damn that would be so fucking good. Kind of like the Punisher spinoff from Daredevil.

The finale made more sense than Flash's and was better, but it had a lot of dumb stuff as well.Like Oliver not knocking Chase out when he first defeats him, he just walks away from him, who does that? Thea conveniently stepping off a land mine. Thea realising she misses Malcolm, cliche. Oliver letting chase have any freedom after he shoots him in the leg, you know he's the trigger to the island blowing up, he can bite his tongue,jump off the boat whatever tf he wants - nah bro lemme hug my child, so cliche. I am glad the not-so betrayal from Slade didn't last for more than a few mins.The finale also suffered from the too much shit in one epsisode that Flash's finale suffered from. This would've been great and a two episode finale rather than some of the filler stuff we got.

Manu Bennett keeps retweeting everyone asking for a Deathstroke spinoff. God damn that would be so fucking good. Kind of like the Punisher spinoff from Daredevil.

I like him as Deathstroke, but he only does evil Slade well. Snide & kinda jokey Slade like in Teen Titants, I haven't seen him pull off. My only other exposure to him has been from random comic runs where he's a side character like flashpoint & Arkham games(Where I don't think he's been represented well either, he's much better in Arrow).

ZeroX03

Banned

He's definitely got the buzz back for playing the character.

Like I said, unless there's some DC shenanigans or he signs a movie, I'm almost certain he's back for S6 in some capacity. Shannara won't be filming and he's there with all the other characters at the end.

I was wondering why Slade was acting so strangely near the end, sort of lurking around the background and shots of just him solo, but maybe they were just compositing shots because he wasn't actually there at the same time as the others.

The only thing that bothered me about Chase was the fact he looks exactly like by brother.

You got one sexy brother

The island being littered with landmines is actually something they established in season 2, I believe.

I think it might've been mentioned in S1 even too.

rackham

Yeah..Adrian Chase was a garbage character. I'm surprised everyone is so easily impressed. He had a chance at being great but there was too much dues ex machina involved with him. Anything he wanted just happened. Nothing was ever explained about him or his past, how he accomplished anything

Garbage ass deus ex machina character and had the actor been even a little less compelling, I'm sure most people would have seen it too. As it is, josh segarra carried the character from mediocrity into something watchable-at the most.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah..Adrian Chase was a garbage character. I'm surprised everyone is so easily impressed. He had a chance at being great but there was too much dues ex machina involved with him. Anything he wanted just happened. Nothing was ever explained about him or his past, how he accomplished anything

Garbage ass deus ex machina character and had the actor been even a little less compelling, I'm sure most people would have seen it too. As it is, josh segarra carried the character from mediocrity into something watchable-at the most.

What do they need to explain about Chase? He's just an extremely well prepared guy who put in five years of planning. He accomplished everything through a single minded focus, it's pretty simple, it's not like the super powered shows, he didn't do anything magical that required some mumbo jumbo, everything he did was realistic just very time consuming. He was never a superior fighter than Oliver either, and they kept pretty consistent with that. I mean did you need them to show you shots of him planting bombs all over the island or something?

I will say it seems like a huge missed opportunity not to have done a flashback episode with him, we could've seen his reaction to his father's death, tracking down Talia and training, etc. Would've been great. But not necessary. They could still do it too!

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh also I gotta say I've found the Prometheus theme as memorable but borderline goofy this season, but the use of it right before Chase kills himself was very haunting.

Soooo.... what happened to Vigilante??

Next season.

Honestly they could spend the first half of S6 just cleaning up half the plot lines of S5. Talia/Nyssa, Artemis, Vigilante, Slade... could all get an episode. Hell Chase probably has beyond the grave plans for Oliver because he's so many steps ahead.

Da-Kid

I hope they treat Vigilante as a necessary evil. As in, him and Team Arrow have a "love hate, but I understand relationship" kinda like Punisher and Daredevil do.

rackham

What do they need to explain about Chase? He's just an extremely well prepared guy who put in five years of planning. He accomplished everything through a single minded focus, it's pretty simple, it's not like the super powered shows, he didn't do anything magical that required some mumbo jumbo, everything he did was realistic just very time consuming. He was never a superior fighter than Oliver either, and they kept pretty consistent with that. I mean did you need them to show you shots of him planting bombs all over the island or something?

I will say it seems like a huge missed opportunity not to have done a flashback episode with him, we could've seen his reaction to his father's death, tracking down Talia and training, etc. Would've been great. But not necessary. They could still do it too!
They could have showed us anything. How did chase tamper with the arrow hideout so easily? How did he find William? How did he gain his martial arts prowess to be on par with all these people? How did he plan so far ahead? How does he do anything? Shit character and the defense for him is worse.

Also please stop with this "everything he did was realistic" nonsense. even if you want to change it to "realistic for a comic show"- just no. It's about as realistic as a nuke blowing up an American city and everyone moving on like nothing.

They could have showed us anything. How did chase tamper with the arrow hideout so easily? How did he find William? How did he gain his martial arts prowess to be on par with all these people? How did he plan so far ahead? How does he do anything? Shit character and the defense for him is worse.

Also please stop with this "everything he did was realistic" nonsense. even if you want to change it to "realistic for a comic show"- just no. It's about as realistic as a nuke blowing up an American city and everyone moving on like nothing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but nothing he did was beyond the realm of possibility. The fact that we don't know exactly how isn't a knock against it. He was extremely smart, and frighteningly dedicated to his cause, two traits combined that can move mountains (or just about).

Mario007

Dude spent 2 years under Talia's training and abour 3-4 years obsessing about Olliver and literary planning everything. The moment you first see him on screen, he already knows Olliver will fight him on the island.

ZeroX03

Banned

How did Chase tamper with the Arrow hideout? The same way Merlyn gets in there constantly. It's not secure.

How did he train in martial arts? With Talia, for years no less. Also he's not on par with Oliver. He lost multiple times.

How did he plan so far ahead? By planning for five years obsessively.

How does he do anything? See above.

The only thing I don't have an explanation for is the William thing. He probably had eyes on Samantha from S4 onward, we know he's been watching Team Flash at the very least. I really can't think of anything he didn't do which can't be explained by planning and intel.

It would have been fun to see chase plan some stuff but it was not really need .
The guy made friends with Oliver and made him throw green arrow under the bus .
So you saw what sort of person he was plus he had help and was not doing it alone.
I mean there certain things you pick at like characters being stupid or you don't like certain things going his way .
Still i don't really see them as a big deal .

How can Arrow be so good and Flash so terrible?

Flash season 4 to be great ?
Since it had 2 seasons where it was not that good just like arrow.
Side note Flash having better mini arcs would help with some of it problems.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd be lying if I said I never chuckled at how Chase is always multiple steps ahead of Oliver, even when it borders on being ridiculous/psychic, but I get through it because:

1. He's been obsessed with his plans for Oliver for years.
2. He can't beat him in a fair fight, so yea, he really needs these meticulous af plans to work lol, it's his bread and butter

It would have been neat to see him in the process of coming up with one of said plans I guess, but I didn't really feel like I needed it. It'd probably be boring to see (imagine seeing him plant all those mines), and the people complaining the most likely wouldn't be satisfied anyhow unless they see every single one of his plans being set up or something lol

It would have been neat to see him in the process of coming up with one of said plans I guess, but I didn't really feel like I needed it. It'd probably be boring to see (imagine seeing him plant all those mines), and the people complaining the most likely wouldn't be satisfied anyhow unless they see every single one of his plans being set up or something lol

Chase most likely had talia mooks help him set up the bombs .
Would have been funny seeing chase giving out orders lol .
Also him becoming friends with oliver for over half the season and having a mole in his group also help sell it .

Joni

Adrian is Batman if a hero killed his dad instead of a villain. That explains everything you need to know.

It´s funny how Thea tread on a mine even though there were 4-5 people walked before her.

They are walking three side by side so they take a slightly different path.

And we need it. Spartacus Manu would easily pull this off s well. He can do the jokes.

The island being littered with landmines is actually something they established in season 2, I believe.

Indeed. They have shown this often.

Zen Aku

Its going to be incredibly hard for anyone else to play Deathstroke as well as Manu does. Everything about his performance is absolutely incredible.

He fucking fake double crossed twice and I fell for it both times! Deathstroke needs to be a main character from now on. To replace Merlyn.

Also Chase was amazing, his ultimatum at the end got me sweating.

Fantastic season, definitely 23/23 for me.

Top Bottom