• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minnesota Rep. Abigail Whelan uses Jesus to dodge tax haven question

Malyse

https://youtu.be/hv9tElas488

Stunningly incompetent.

Pressed about her lack of support for an amendment that would close loopholes for offshore tax havens, a Minnesota Republican dodged the question in favor of talking about her religious beliefs.

Minnesota Rep. Abigail Whelan, a second-term House legislator from suburban Ramsey, was responding to a question from Democratic Rep. Paul Thissen early Wednesday morning about whether she thinks “benefiting people who are hiding money in Liberia is worth raising taxes on your own constituents.”

Whelan ignored the question and instead sounded off about her religion.

“It might be because it’s late and I’m really tired, but I’m going to take this opportunity to share with the body something I have been grappling with over the past several months, and that is, the games that we play here,” she began, leaving the tax haven discussion in the dust. “I just want you to know, Representative Thissen and the [Democratic] caucus — I forgive you, it is okay, because I have an eternal perspective about this.”
Whelan went on to make a case that happiness is not to be found in good public policy, but rather in the eternal love of Jesus.

“I have an eternal perspective and I want to share that with you and the people listening at home that at the end of the day, when we try to reach an agreement with divided government we win some, we lose some, nobody is really happy, but you know what, happiness and circumstances — not what it’s about,” she continued. “There is actual joy to be found in Jesus Christ, Jesus loves you all. If you would like to get to know him, you’re listening at home, here in this room, please email, call me, would love to talk to you about Jesus, he is the hope of this state and this country.”

https://thinkprogress.org/abigail-whelan-tax-havens-jesus-20ad48397f05

Mohonky

Pretty sure that Jesus said those with the least in this life will be closest to God in his paradise.....but who am I kidding lol.

Thought it would be some 60 year old person.

Nope. 29.

Wtf.

Pretty sure that Jesus said those with the least in this life will be closest to God in his paradise.....but who am I kidding lol.
he also said to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. So, yknow. Liberian tax havens are, apparently, holy.

this shit pisses me off to no end.

"hello politician, here is a question, it is a yes or no question"

"well, i think the real question here is..."

NO. STOP IT. CUT THEM OFF. ITS YES OR NO.

Ive seen so many journalists just say okay and move on off these bullshit answers too

Ogodei

This argument makes me mad, i had somebody on facebook the other day try to tell me this when he reblogged Franklin Graham complaining about the people who walked out on Mike Pence's speech at Notre Dame.

Paraphrased: "I don't really care about this or that liberal policy. I care about bringing people to Jesus."

Well, to him and to Rep. Whelan, i say, if you care more about Jesus then you do about policy, then stop fucking talking about politics, resign, and go join the church.

Either worldly issues matter, or they don't.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. Unless they use tax havens, and then it's all cool with me."

- Jesus

he also said to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. So, yknow. Liberian tax havens are, apparently, holy.
Yeah, see, hiding your money in an off shore tax haven is not rendering onto Caesar what is his.

So, you know, double disobedience here.

I seek to recall The Lord having thoughts on the issue of taxation.

Oh yes.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

Futureman

"I have an eternal perspective" so whatever you think and say in opposition to me is by default wrong.

Someone taker her up and give her a call to talk about Jesus.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
this shit pisses me off to no end.

"hello politician, here is a question, it is a yes or no question"

"well, i think the real question here is..."

NO. STOP IT. CUT THEM OFF. ITS YES OR NO.

Ive seen so many journalists just say okay and move on off these bullshit answers too

95% of NPR interviews go like this. Politicians always dodge their well worded and scathing questions and refuse to actually address them, and the interviewer usually gives up after a little resistance.

jmdajr

95% of NPR interviews go like this. Politicians always dodge their well worded and scathing questions and refuse to actually address them, and the interviewer usually gives up after a little resistance.

Well it's either that or suplex city.

I hate that republicans use God as a mascot. It's the biggest reason so many people vote Republican no matter how heinous their behavior is.

I'm a somewhat religious person....but seeing how often religion is used to trick idiots into being awful makes me think it's a mistake.

Starviper

The urban areas here in Minnesota are so vastly different from the rural ones. I imagine her constituents would have loved the response.

Tawpgun

Whelan went on to make a case that happiness is not to be found in good public policy, but rather in the eternal love of Jesus.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????????????????????????

maybe rethink your career choice? Work as a missionary? A pastor if your denomination allows that, or just within your local church?

I was raised a Republican, went to a Christian schook K-12, but listening to the shit coming out of these Republican's mouths made me realize probably about 10 years ago that both the party and religious institution are so incredibly corrupt that it's just staggering.

Thankfully I was able to realize that, but I wonder how many people think they're doing the "right thing" only to end up hurting themselves.

No it wasn't the tax collectors He got mad at. It was merchants turning the Temple into a business that possess Him off.

Matthew, one of the Twelve Apostles was a tax collector.

Whoops, my mistake. From my elementary school days, I just remember seeing a picture of an angry Jesus overturning a table that had a stack of coins on it.

Except Ramsey county includes Saint Paul and is literally the second most populated county in the state.

She represents part of the city of Ramsey, which is a separate entity from the county (it's even in a separate county). It's an outer-ring suburb that is very different from the urban core of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area is quite white, more religious than the state as a whole, and Republican.

Top Bottom