• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump calls out NATO members not paying their share during speech

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
US politicians generally don't fuck with the military. You are not going to hear any US politician say "Hey! We should reduce the military budget".

Reduce the requirement to 1.5% of GDP. Many NATO members are not capable of meeting the 2% requirement.

THERE IS NO 2% rule, it's a guideline.

But using Trump logic, NATO members are being smart, just like Trump not paying his fair share of taxes.

Sakura

They agreed to try (!) getting to that target by 2024. It is not 2024 and even if it were, there is no contractual obligation to actually meet the GDP target.

Also, we are talking about each countries own defence spending here. There is no member fee in Nato and each sovereign state has to decide for themselves how much they want to spend for defence. It's NOT like the US has to increase its own defence spending, because other countries don't pay enough.

We aren't even trying. Our % of spending has been going down over the years. We're one of the worst countries in terms of spending in NATO.
I'm not saying that there is a contractual obligation, but when there is clearly no effort to even improve spending to meet agreed goals, I can't really get upset at being called out.

Yoda

Is he wrong?

In the sense that they don't spend the same % of GDP per average (averaging over all nations in europe) on military spending. There are a few caveats though, for example an enormous swath of our defense budget goes to defense contracts, not active duty military (the people who do the dying). Euro nations have defense contractors, but it's nothing like the gravy train of corruption we have here. Thus if we only counted the portion of $$ that goes towards the actual military, then we'd still be spending more than our "fair share" in NATO, but not nearly as much.

Talamius

NATO is basically for the US projecting it's influence

attacking it is basically helpful to russia/china only

100% this. No other country in the alliance has the force necessary to successfully deter Russia.

If the US is no longer a factor, Eastern Europe is served up on a plate for Putin....and who is to say he stops there?

Armaros

We aren't even trying. Our % of spending has been going down over the years. We're one of the worst countries in terms of spending in NATO.
I'm not saying that there is a contractual obligation, but when there is clearly no effort to even improve spending to meet agreed goals, I can't really get upset at being called out.

The whole point of NATO is to expand US influence and have rapid response To Russia because we have all of thease allies.

Trying to protection racket them means we lose influence.

Especially since trump brushed off article 5 when the US is the only one to trigger it.

100% this. No other country in the alliance has the force necessary to successfully deter Russia.

If the US is no longer a factor, Eastern Europe is served up on a plate for Putin....and who is to say he stops there?

Is that what they tell you in the USA?

Tovarisc

XWfl1KI.png

https://twitter.com/michaelbirnbaum/status/867762213372784640

Apparently everyone went to talk with Merkel.

rokkerkory

Should have been said behind closed doors lol

He pivoted from a moment of silence for the Manchester victims (which was a great thing to do) to this in just a few mins. Bleh

Sakura

Funky Papa already did that job.

Did what job? Nobody said it is a rule that you cannot break. The section I quoted from on the NATO site says in bold right above it that it is a guideline, I am fully aware. That doesn't mean I can't think we should do something we agreed to.

Somnid

Like only Trump could.

I'm multiquoting myself here because I'm deadass tired of this "fair share" bullshit.

But doesn't this play into Trump's politics? Trump doesn't like NATO and thinks it's broken without overhaul, and here you're posting that there are significant issues in attaining its goals and that those goals might be arbitrary in general. I'm sure there is plenty of cost-benefit analysis for how much the US is better off with or without it but this does not seem to challenge Trump's ideals.

Dehnus

https://www.facebook.com/ABCNews/videos/10155808880448812/

Just watched it live. It's absolutely bonkers and cringe worthy watching the President of the United States giving a speech at the new NATO HQ with heads of state standing right there as he complains about them not paying their fair share of money for defense.

Shaming your allies in public while they stand behind you: YUP! That is sooo going over well.

On top of that you want to INCREASE defence spending in the USA, Trumpaloompa... not cut it! So cut the bullshit about it being unfair if you wish to give more money to your lobby palls from Lockheed. The only reason you also bring this up, as you hope they buy more of these shitty JSF planes.

Did what job? Nobody said it is a rule that you cannot break. The section I quoted from on the NATO site says in bold right above it that it is a guideline, I am fully aware. That doesn't mean I can't think we should do something we agreed to.

Can't refer to an guideline for something which is supposed to happen in 7 years now to prove anything.

That's stupid even for the low standards of Trump and USAUSAUSAGAF.

Dehnus

As a Canadian I feel we should be paying our fair share.

It's not a fair share, we should look at the effectiveness of an army and how often they have been used in battle divided by capita. AKA, if a small nation did far more NATO missions and was effective in them while only spending 1.5% of their income? While this big nation that spends 2.3.. doesn't partake in anything? Then wouldn't you rather have the smaller one?

But doesn't this play into Trump's politics? Trump doesn't like NATO and thinks it's broken without overhaul, and here you're posting that there are significant issues in attaining its goals and that those goals might be arbitrary in general. I'm sure there is plenty of cost-benefit analysis for how much the US is better off with or without it but this does not seem to challenge Trump's ideals.

The USA only pays like 30 billions for anything NATO related in Europe while the Europe bases are crucial for their adventures in the ME.

The USA pays a lot for their military but not for the NATO but for the own non NATO relevant goals.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Canada should be spending more.
Nah.

What are they going to do, dismantle NWS, disband NORAD and go home? As far as canada is concerned, NATO is just about american force projection and we have no reason to humour it. We're more useful to them as a buffer state then they're useful to us.

Armaros

so how much better of is the US without the sphere of influence being the primary miltary nation of NATO? Do you think we will get the military bases across Europe that project our military might across the globe without NATO?

Mikey Jr.

Doesn't America have the right to reduce theirs then as well?

Just reduce it to 1%, and say that you'll increase when everyone else does.

Problem solved?

scamander

Banned

It's a stupid guideline. Spending more in defence doesn't equal spending the money smart. If you are throwing money out of the window just to meet a target that isn't productive. Not to mention it is ridiculous we are supposed to spend more in defence than for education or social programs for example, when we are living in a world that has been highly destabilised by the US. We are fighting your wars and you are lecturing us, because we don't take a fair share? Really?

4Tran

The 2% rule is dumb to begin with. Countries should pay for whatever military they feel is necessary for their needs; not based on some sort of silly quota that doesn't account for anything. And it gives the impression that countries like the US are paying more to pick up the slack when that isn't the case at all. The US spends what it does on its military for their own reasons, and these reasons mostly have nothing to do with NATO or NATO obligations.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Repeat after me: guideline aiming to 2024.

Then there's also the utter stupidity of putting that money towards military spenditures, as if there were no better ways to fend off potential menaces. Juncker is a bastard, but he made a pretty good point some weeks ago:

”It has been the American message for many, many years. I am very much against letting ourselves be pushed into this," Juncker said in a speech on the sidelines of the international Munich Security Conference.

He said he knew that Germany would no longer have a budget surplus if it increased defence spending to 2% of GDP from 1.22%.

”I don't like our American friends narrowing down this concept of security to the military," he said, arguing it would be sensible to look at a ”modern stability policy" made up of several components.

”If you look at what Europe is doing in defence, plus development aid, plus humanitarian aid, the comparison with the United States looks rather different. Modern politics cannot just be about raising defence spending," he said.

”Europeans must bundle their defence spending better and spend the money more efficiently," he added.

Trump's ideals are that Russia is no longer a menace and that Not Americans are freeloaders. NATO should reform (heck, I'd rather get out of it if circumstances allowed it), but Trump's idea of reform is not what NATO needs, but what Trump wants.

Doesn't America have the right to reduce theirs then as well?

Just reduce it to 1%, and say that you'll increase when everyone else does.

Problem solved?

Nothing stop the USA of paying 1% less. It would just not hurt their NATO responsibilities but other things like their Pacific presence which isn't NATO relevant. In fact it was common opinion that an attack on Hawaii wouldn't be covered by the NATO treaty.

Bluenoser

That speech was going so well until after the moment of silence. Then he started with the crazy, incoherent, flawed sentence structure speak.

Sakura

Can't refer to an guideline for something which is supposed to happen in 7 years now to prove anything.

That's stupid even for the low standards of Trump and USAUSAUSAGAF.

It's not just getting to 2% by 2024. In 2014 NATO leaders who were below 2% also agreed to halt any decline, in addition to moving towards the goal. Canada's been declining since 2014. We're below even 1% now. Again, I never said it is a requirement and we have to do it. But it is something we agreed to do, and we aren't doing it. I don't think that's cool, you seem to be OK with it. To each their own I guess.

Repeat after me: guideline aiming to 2024.
Allies whose current proportion of GDP spent on defence is below this level will halt any decline; aim to increase defence expenditure as GDP grows; and will move toward the 2% guideline within a decade.
We also agreed to halt any decline. We have not. Again, I am fully aware.

The lack of Article 5 shows clearly that Trump is a Russian stooge. Europe really does need to look into making their defense better. Because if Trumpism isn't kicked out, the US will eventually become hostile.

digdug2k

I mean, members agreed that they would meet the GDP spending target, but they haven't. I don't think it is wrong to tell them they should be doing what they agreed to.
Except 1.) they didn't agree to meet the GDP requirement, and 2.) even the "Yeah, maybe we'll try (this is stupid we're not going to try)" goal they set was to take place over 10 years (2.5 years ago).

Dehnus

Yeah! Look at all those broke nations that aren't paying their fair share! Like CANA- wait a second. I mean BELGI- hang on a minute.. luxembour..no, Spain...no....SLOVENIA! There we go! Yeah Slovenia! Pay your share or we'll send back Melania!!

Luxembourg is also a very small nation, that has a large banking industry. For them to Pay 2 % is ludicrous. Where will they store all those tanks and air planes.

All it will do is make Luxembourg go "Oh fuck this, we'll leave NATO, we are in the EU anyway, Russia isn't going to attack us."

And Putin has his little propaganda victory.

Rich. A guy who doesn't even pay taxes to his own country is complaining about NATO members not fulfilling financial obligations. Maybe they're just "smart"?

The 2% rule is dumb to begin with. Countries should pay for whatever military they feel is necessary for their needs; not based on some sort of silly quota that doesn't account for anything. And it gives the impression that countries like the US are paying more to pick up the slack when that isn't the case at all. The US spends what it does on its military for their own reasons, and these reasons mostly have nothing to do with NATO or NATO obligations.

Maybe don't agree to a dumb rule then.

Armaros

Repeat after me.

The WHOLE point of NATO is to PROJECT OUR SPHERE OF INFLUENCE VS RUSSIA.

How much influence will we have if we run it as a protection racket and bully the smaller members?

RDreamer

I don't see much of a problem in saying NATO members should pay a bit more, but Trump has essentially thrown NATO under the bus and allied with a Russian enemy and is chastising them for not paying more. It's that combination of things that's pretty insulting to me. Wanting NATO to be strong is good. Bitching about NATO spending while completely undermining it in every way you can is bad.

Top Bottom