• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend A Decent (Preferably Inexpensive) PC Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

I want to eventually devote some time back to some kb/m games on my PC, including re-subbing into FFXIV. Problem is, I've grown really uncomfortable with my desktop chair and would like to upgrade to something comfortable and ergonomic.

For measurement purposes, I'm 6'4 and around 240 pounds. Butt comfort is a biggie, as I currently have spine problems (that will hopefully be fixed soon). I also don't like to leave my neck hanging in the air, so a cushion for the back of the head is needed as well. I would also like to not break the bank on this one, and would prefer any affordable quality chairs if they exist.

At my work, the office chair I use is a Ergohuman brand. It's very comfy without hurting any of my joints, but a look at Amazon brings those brand of chairs up to $650 USD. Yikes.

So please post some recommendations.

Weetrick

I've had an IKEA Markus for about 3 years and it's in great shape. I bought it because I wanted a head rest. It's $199, so not exactly cheap, but i think it was worth It.

markus-swivel-chair-black__0392583_PE564516_S4.JPG

http://ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00103102/

styl3s

What's your budget? What's the most you're willing to spend?
As someone also in the market i am looking around $100-150 maybe a little more wiggle room because the last 2 i bought around $100 lasted maybe 8 months before they turned to complete fucking shit.

zulux21

like I usually do in threads like this. I would recommend you check out your local thrift stores. They aren't super common but from time to time really nice office chairs will show up in them.

All 3 of the office chairs I have in my house retail at over $200 and I paid like $20 each for them.

beyond that just make sure you get one with good back support.
backs are way to easy to screw up if you don't support them correctly.

gaugebozo

$180 for the cloth versions. I have my eye on it too since a bunch of websites recommend it based on value, but I'm moving soon so I'm waiting.
I tested the chairs out the last time I was at IKEA. All of their chairs were ok, but would get uncomfortable if you're sitting for maybe an hour and a half or more. The seats need more padding.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GO TRY THEM IN PERSON.

I can't stress that enough. Go out and try shit. Sit in a ton of different chairs. Keep going till you find what you like.

kendrid

Banned
Search for 'office chair' and there is a thread from a few weeks ago.

I just purchased a Serta chair from Office Max for $160 and it is comfortable and supportive.

Falchion

I still use an IKEA one that is now 10 years old that I got when I first went to college. It's been great but the padding is starting to wear now so I'll probably buy another one from there at some point.

SOLDIER

GO TRY THEM IN PERSON.

I can't stress that enough. Go out and try shit. Sit in a ton of different chairs. Keep going till you find what you like.

I might stop at Ikea this week to do just that. Having some brand names on hand would help me.

Here's the thing though: I know the Ergohuman is solid, because I've been sitting on one for work hours on end; even at the end of my shit, my butt isn't remotely sore. It really does the job, but $600 plus is really pricey.

On the one hand, I really want to play FFXIV and Overwatch again, but don't want to confine myself to my currently uncomfortable chair. I really want to upgrade soon.

I tested the chairs out the last time I was at IKEA. All of their chairs were ok, but would get uncomfortable if you're sitting for maybe an hour and a half or more. The seats need more padding.

I love me some IKEA but the chairs are the epitome of design over ergonomics. I know the one mentioned here is popular but I can't see buying a chair without adjustable arms.

The Herman Miller Aeron chair is famous and a lot of big corporations that care about ergo use them. Expensive though.

http://lifehacker.com/5941523/five-best-office-chairs

You tested them for an hour and a half?

I can sit an entire day on my Markus without issues.

Holy shit. You sat in a chair in IKEA for an 1 and 1/2+ hours?

That's... amazing.

EDIT: ^ Glad I'm not the only one amazed by this.

impirius

I purchased an ErgoChair a few months ago and am very happy with it. You can adjust basically everything, the seat cushion is nice and thick, and the headrest is nice to have. It's about $300 shipped.

There was some controversy about their Kickstarter a while back, but I'm pleased with the product I received, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom