• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Shares Interesting Mass Effect 2 Statistics

Rad-

qybhgh.jpg

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Biotics/techs powers are nerfed against shielded enemies and nearly all boss creatures. Mass Effect 2 is a shooter at its core after all.

Surprised that no one wanted to do Miranda's side mission. Yeah, it's one of the worst, but you couldn't have known that going in, and I spent half the game trying to get in her pants, so I probably did her mission first.

Warp wrecks shields and Singularity does a good job at chipping at it. Playing Adept in ME2 was ridiculously fun for me, especially once I realized the curved trajectory system they added.

Acidote

I played Mass Effect with a male soldier.

Deal with it.

Although I also played it as a fem vanguard, fem engineer and fem adept :lol

pahamrick

Halycon said:
This is why she's awesome.

Also brings up another possible explanation for the 80% male thing:

1) You're playing the game placing yourself as the main character
2) You're playing the game as an interactive story inserting your own ideal for the main character

I can say confidently that many xbox owners will choose the former, since that's what theyr'e used to both in FPS and WRPGs. A few select others prefer to view the game as a complete narrative and thus the character creation amounts to who they want to see in the lead, tantamount to picking an actor for a movie.

I'm definitely in the #1 category.

Hale is awesome though. I really need to complete a female ME1 and ME2 play-through.

Wallach

Jive Turkey said:
Wow...FemShep fanboys are rapidly becoming more annoying than FFVII fanboys.

But still worlds better than the "Tali Legion" that plagues the official BW forums. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haunted said:
Femshep's biggest problem is the plastic wig.
Oh definitely this. It was so damn glossy. I wish they'd add some even absic hair physics.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
I wasn't aware that FF7 fans were that much of a problem these days.
As long as they exist they're a problem.

tokkun said:
I would have been most interested to see stats on how many people played Renegade vs Paragon.
So would I. I's also like to see how evenly renegade and paragon split up between the sexes.

Acosta

Female Shepard is fucking awesome, I can't see another way of playing Mass Effect. I was an Infiltrator by the way, cloaking and going for the head shot with the sniper rifle never got old.

Wonder if they'll release those numbers about squadmate deaths. They said that they'd possibly consider those when making ME3, which freaked a lot of people out because characters like Tali, Mordin, Thane, and Legion are more likely to die.

Dresden

Wallach said:
But still worlds better than the "Tali Legion" that plagues the official BW forums. :lol
Team Tali > Your Team

faceless avian alien women who may or may not resemble Garrus's mother are so hawt

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
So what about female Shepard fangirls? Are we going to compare them to something, too?
If you want to be stupid and claim playing Mass Effect as anything other than female is a waste of time I'll just lump you in with the rest.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference just don't be retarded about it.

Haly

Garrus fangirls would be analogous to Tali fanboys.

I don't think there are Femshep fangirls so much as girls who decide to play as girls because they are a girl. And there are few enough playable female leads in games already it would seem like a treat.

Zeliard

I never play as female in games when given the choice, but Male Shephard's voice acting is undoubtedly disastrous. The guy has some serious problems with basic emoting.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Only 50% completed it...

50% is huge. If you make a 30-hour RPG and 50% of people who start playing it also beat it you should take your whole team out for champagne and caviar.

Wallach said:
Not really... the first set of numbers we got like this for, say, HL2: EP1 less than 25% of the people completed it (even though it was like a six hour game).

I blame Ep 1 being not good for that.

Halycon said:
Also, since Bioware went through extra lengths to make ME2 look and feel more like a space shooter, Soldier seems the natural choice for someone who hasn't played 1.

And Soldier was extremely strong in the first game, which I'm sure was also an influence. I'd bet that Vanguard, the other really strong class from ME1, was the second-most played class in ME2, even though it turned out that the ME2 Vanguard was totally terrible.

VaLiancY

No love for the Engineer. I'm disappointed. I love the fact that the class isn't all guns, closest thing to a pure caster.

Aeana

Halycon said:
Garrus fangirls would be analogous to Tali fanboys.

I don't think there are Femshep fangirls so much as girls who decide to play as girls because they are a girl. And there are few enough playable female leads in games already it would seem like a treat.
I initially chose to play as female Shepard because I am female. I ended up really loving the performance, though. I later tried to play as the male character and was really disappointed. I realized that it's possible that Jennifer Hale may have been a major contributor to my overall enjoyment of the game.

But I don't begrudge people for liking male Shepard or anything. I was just kidding in my first post in this thread.

Ashkeloth

These stats are actually really interesting to me.

The fact that so many people play male soldier says a lot about the way most people think.

Generally, most people playing RPGs tend to make the main character an idealised version of themselves. It seems like most people want to be the tough guy hero saving the universe by shooting things with big guns.

It's the same thing you see in fighting games such as Street Fighter, where a hell of a lot of people play the main generic hero characters. Anyone who's played Street Fighter online knows there's a hell of a massive amount of Ryu and Ken players compared to a lot of the other, arguably more interesting characters.

Not sure what it says about GAF, though, what with almost everyone in this topic taking the side of the female Shepard. You guys either

a. Think differently to most people
b. Are creepy perverts
c. Don't put any form of role playing into your RPGs
d. Are all women
e. Care about voice acting more than your character in RPGs

Still, whatever.

If anyone's wondering, I played a Male Vanguard through ME1 and 2

Wallach

charlequin said:
After staring at him in all the ME gifs and whatnot, seeing pictures of the dude in real life always kind of creeps me out. :lol

It kind of cracks me up that for as bad as most of the generic (and custom) models look in these games how well they managed to model that guy's face. You could totally spot "Commander Shepard" if he was walking down the street, no problem.

Ashkeloth said:
These stats are actually really interesting to me.

The fact that so many people play male soldier says a lot about the way most people think.

I think it has just as much to do with the fact that "default" Shepard is a Male Soldier. If you don't explicitly choose to create your own character that's what you get.

crazy-mass-effect-2-stats-and-what-theyre-used-for-20100903105831289_640w.jpg

Played as Soldier? Check.
Male Shepard? Check.
Custom Face? Check.
Imported ME1 save? Check.
Finished the game? Check.
Finished the game in about 33 hours? Check.

Damn - I am so....average! :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Ultimately it doesn't always give you the answers, but it sometimes raises questions or gets you to ask the right questions…More people played the soldier class than all of the other classes combined. If you know that, then you can start thinking about future games. Is that good? Is that a problem? Should we look at the other classes and start thinking about ways to make them selected as often as soldier? As part of asking these questions, we can design games in the future a lot better."

Man, I wish I had faith that "we need to re-examine all the classes" is the lesson they would take from this. But I'm too cynical and jaded now, I just think they're going to say "most people played the soldier, okay, scrap all the others"

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I only played Soldier on my insanity run, as the only half decent Biotic power was Warp on Insanity, and I had Miranda for that.

Plus Soldiers are the only class that gets to use the Vindicator

Xilium

I'd be more interested to know how many people went pure paragon and renegade. The original claim was that most everyone's game would be unique in terms of decisions made and I would like to know how true that was.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aeana said:
Her performance in both games is a big reason why I like them. I reallllly do not like male Shepard at all.

Femshep is the only reason I bothered playing through the entirety of ME1.

dionysus

Yaldog
I think gamers pick the soldier class because that tends to be the easy mode for games.

I tend to pick the persuasion class if its an option, but Bioware has moved away from charisma in games, sadly.

GuitarAtomik said:
Warp wrecks shields and Singularity does a good job at chipping at it. Playing Adept in ME2 was ridiculously fun for me, especially once I realized the curved trajectory system they added.
Yeah, well there's no cool down time for my sniper rifle.

scarybore

Ashkeloth said:
c. Don't put any form of role playing into your RPGs

Surely that would be the ultimate in role playing to choose a different gender from yourself? Either way, not once in any RPG have I ever thought of the main character being some uber version of myself, the mere though of it I find highly amusing.

I think the reason soldier is popular is due to it being the default and the most easily understood class. My first playthrough in the original was a soldier, wasn't hugely exciting but it helps you learn the game and was a good class to begin with.

rush777

Makes me feel very plain for choosing soldier like everone else. Maybe I'll have to replay it as something else.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dresden said:
Team Tali > Your Team

faceless avian alien women who may or may not resemble Garrus's mother are so hawt

I've heard Tali being referenced to looking like a bird under the mask, or being 'avian'... played through both games and I think I missed something... did the game ever state anything like this?

YagizY

If I am a male Shepard in ME1 and then I import that to ME2, can I still be female Shepard. Do my decisions carry over?

Haly

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You run out of ammo though.

So fast.
And Soldier was extremely strong in the first game, which I'm sure was also an influence. I'd bet that Vanguard, the other really strong class from ME1, was the second-most played class in ME2, even though it turned out that the ME2 Vanguard was totally terrible.
I was disappointed with how Infiltrator played in 2. Without being able to snipe all day the class is really really much weaker than its ME1 counterpart.

Vanguard though, I tried a Vanguard shep once and felt the class was pretty underpowered. Then wallach linked this video in the OT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE56V5sVj28

Also adept lololoolool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheRagnCajun said:
I thought the female sheppard voice actor was supposed to be superior. Surpised most picked male.

Most of the audience is male. Escapist fantasy rather than role playing. Thus the result.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
I enjoyed the hell out of playing femshep renegade, I liked the VA.
I just hope Bioware doesn't use these statistics they've collected to make any follow up to ME2 more FPS-ish and drop the lesser played classes or drop the option to play female cause only 20% of their customers are estimated to play it.

Wallach

Sho_Nuff82 said:

There isn't a big difference really between the CD of most Adept powers and the time it takes you to reload a SR. At least one is probably a tiny bit faster.

The real difference, though, is that a power like Singularity can remove something like
Harbinger
entirely. Whether it has full shields or not, a target is unable to move or act if you stick them within the field.

gdt

Zomba13 said:
I want to see stats on who was romanced the most and how many were faithful to their ME1 choice.

I'm a dirty cheater :/.

Maybe I can remedy that with the new DLC!

tokkun

djtiesto said:
I've heard Tali being referenced to looking like a bird under the mask, or being 'avian'... played through both games and I think I missed something... did the game ever state anything like this?

It's because of her feet.

Dresden

charlequin said:
Vanguards wreck the game on any difficulty. Even more so with the new shotguns they dumped in the game. I'm not even talking about "adepts are fun to play so it's okay!" stuff, Vanguards just wreck almost every encounter in the game on Insanity.
djtiesto said:
I always went by two things--

1. Turians and Quarians are different from every other alien species (including humans) in their DNA make up or something.

2. Her feet and hands.

Top Bottom