• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Shares Interesting Mass Effect 2 Statistics

MechaX

charlequin said:
Errr, wut. As of when? When I played ME2, when it came out, Vanguards were the worst class to play any of the higher difficulties on. There was like a whole obnoxious running conversation about this for like twenty pages in the |OT|. :lol

Vanguards go from "suicidal" to "fucking overpowered" if you max out charge first (especially since it will always give you 100% shields and has a pretty fast recharge time).

Now playing with an Adept on Insanity is an absolute bitch.

Jokeropia

There are people who played a single playthrough for 66 hours
I spent 75 hours on my single playthrough. That includes all the DLC quests though. (Except Lair of the Shadow Broker.)

Btw, I play male Shepard as a Soldier with the default look. Anything else is just not Shepard in my eyes! :p
Dresden said:
Soldiers make better snipers since Adrenaline Rush apparently doubles the damage of each shot dealt.
140% if you get Heightened Adrenaline Rush. One headshot with the M-98 Widow kills pretty much anything.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
"Most players played the most boring class that is most like the shooters they play"

SURPRISE

Dan Yo

Banned
I don't know why but guys who choose to play as female Shepard creep me out. I know most of them use the excuse that they want to watch a female ass the entire game (that they would be interested in the polygonal ass of either sex in the game is kind of creepy in itself), but they just remind me of those bald, fat guys on WoW who roleplay as sexy female elves.

I used my Vanguard from ME1 in my first playthrough on normal. I'm currently playing on insanity using a Soldier which I've designed to look like my first characters badass dad. It's especially easy because of the soldier's time dilating ability coupled with a sniper rifle (only 1 planet left for loyalty missions)

I'll do my FemShep play through once I finish ME with her.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dan Yo said:
I don't know why but guys who choose to play as female Shepard creep me out. I know most of them use the excuse that they want to watch a female ass the entire game (that they would be interested in the polygonal ass of either sex in the game is kind of creepy in itself), but they just remind me of those bald, fat guys on WoW who roleplay as sexy female elves.

Jennifer Hale is just a better voice actor. For me, it's that simple. Shepard could be a Volus for all I care.

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
Ehh, they are just as capable as any of the other classes, but let us not pretend that the curve is not steeper.

I don't really feel that way. I mean you are talking about a class that recharges shields on demand every few seconds in combat. I guess there's a curve to learning how to not play like a cover-humping wuss. :p

geez.............I never skip any little bit of conversation in an RPG. If I accidently hit a button and skip a part, I reset the entire thing.

Jerk

Banned
Wallach said:
I don't really feel that way. I mean you are talking about a class that recharges shields on demand every few seconds in combat. I guess there's a curve to learning how to not play like a cover-humping wuss. :p

Yes.

Look, the class is not really too difficult to play with if you have a decent amount of experience with the game, but playing Insanity your first time through with a Vanguard is not a walk in the park (as it is with Infiltrator and Sentinel).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
geez.............I never skip any little bit of conversation in an RPG. If I accidently hit a button and skip a part, I reset the entire thing.
Yeah...I'll skip on multiple playthroughs but the first time I can't imagine skipping.

tiff

Banned
NathanPGibson said:
I always find it odd how few people actually complete/finish games. Very strange, especially if you bought the game.
personally, i often just get in the mood to play something else.

Jex

Dan Yo said:
Do you have a spot on Weekend Confirmed?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dan Yo said:

I play Female shep for the following reason:

Would you rather watch a sci fi movie starring Keanu Reeves or one starring I don't know... fuck, a vastly superior female actress? Jennifer Connoley or some shit.

That's pretty much the choice they give you in ME: 2

Ataturk

I'm hearing the argument that femshep is better, but I can't change my character now. I'm sticking with the ugly and pale Shepard I made without thinking too much at the start of ME1, for better or worse. :lol

Mashing

I think the the reason why male Shepard was used over female Shepard is because Bioware used male shepard in all of their promotional videos from the very beginning. I would suspect you'd see similar numbers in ME1. If they started marketing ME3 with female Shepard (which would be silly to do at this point), then they'd probably see a reversal (or at least closer #'s). It could also be that Male (or first option) is the default option for a non customized character. Never underestimate the laziness of gamers.

Patryn

Another female Engineer here. I have a feeling that a lot of people just look at the name of the class and pass it over, which is a shame, because I've tried most of the classes, and I've definitely had the most fun with Engineer.

Sure, they were nerfed a bit in ME2, but that's only because they were so overwhelming in ME1. It was sick how well they could control a battlefield.

Add me to another group that would like to know stuff like percentage renegade vs. paragon. But what I'd really like to know is the use percentages for each character.

mileS

Tons of people saying "umm warp is the only useful bio power blah blah" This isn't an MMO and not everybody plays on the hardest difficulty. Have you tried having fun lately? Mixing up all the bio powers is extremely fun and it really makes the games combat stand out compared to every other 3rd person shooter out there. Sure once the shields are down you could probably just kill things just as fast by shooting. You can also use the excuse that your team has these skills as well but if you take some time to notice they don't work exactly the same. For example I'm pretty sure you can't curve the bio powers with your squad.

I don't remember when the engineers in ME1 were better than the engineers in ME2. I know they can disable guns and geth, but what else is so special about them?

Wallach

mileS said:
For example I'm pretty sure you can't curve the bio powers with your squad.

This is true. However, keep in mind that your squadmates fire their abilities of your line of sight and not their own. So, if you can see something vulnerable, even if your squadmate is two rooms away behind walls, you can use their power and it will instantly hit them. Your squadmates only use their own line of sight for firing their weapons.

MechaX said:
Vanguards go from "suicidal" to "fucking overpowered" if you max out charge first (especially since it will always give you 100% shields and has a pretty fast recharge time).

Yes it is. I relived that bit of a nightmare again today as I went through the new DLC on Insanity.

dwebo

Seriously, though, I doubt most guys choosing to play as FemShep are doing it to roleplay :lol. As for myself, I usually play through a Mass Effect first as goody two shoes Male Shep, and then bitchy FemShep for a change of pace. With so many repeated lines of dialogue, it helps to listen to another VA. Then again, I also never understood the Jennifer Hale love - they both sound okay to me.

That said, the lack of a (real) lesbian option in ME2 sorely bummed me out. Add one back in ME3 please!

Jerk

Banned
Patryn said:
Another female Engineer here. I have a feeling that a lot of people just look at the name of the class and pass it over, which is a shame, because I've tried most of the classes, and I've definitely had the most fun with Engineer.

Sure, they were nerfed a bit in ME2, but that's only because they were so overwhelming in ME1. It was sick how well they could control a battlefield.

Add me to another group that would like to know stuff like percentage renegade vs. paragon. But what I'd really like to know is the use percentages for each character.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Patryn

Jerk 2.0 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Did you try them? They could neutralize pretty much every enemy, and the range of skills meant that you always had something to fire off. Add to that the ability to hack AI, and they were devastating.

soldat7 said:
Disappointed by the lack of planet-scanning stats.
90% of all those scanning hours would have been on my playthrough, probably. :p I developed a weird mixture of OCD and masochism during my ME2 playthrough that compelled me to mine planets as closely to depletion as possible.

Mindlog

SteelAttack said:
90% of all those scanning hours would have been on my playthrough, probably. :p I developed a weird mixture of OCD and masochism during my ME2 playthrough that compelled me to mine planets as closely to depletion as possible.

Scary, but perhaps tolerable while listening to an excellent podcast?

I'd like to see some numbers on the most frequently missed events. Fist on Omega has to be up there.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I read like ten times faster than voice actors talk. I rarely have the patience to sit through all the voice acting in a game.

mileS said:
Tons of people saying "umm warp is the only useful bio power blah blah" This isn't an MMO and not everybody plays on the hardest difficulty. Have you tried having fun lately?

I was about to, but persnickety complaining about ME2 activated my universal cooldown and so fun isn't available to me yet.

Jerk

Banned
Patryn said:
Did you try them? They could neutralize pretty much every enemy, and the range of skills meant that you always had something to fire off. Add to that the ability to hack AI, and they were devastating.

On insanity, the only classes that could be considered 'Devastating' were Vanguard and Adept.

Compared to those two, most of the other classes were pathetic (Infiltrator was good too, but their tactics are attrition based and that is really dull).

No matter how capable you think your engineer may be, nothing screams battlefield control like dropping two singularities in quick succession.

RedSwirl

I actually put some time into crafting my male Shepard and am pretty proud of him if I do say so myself.

Most of the female Shepards I've seen in-game really don't look all that much better than Male Sheps, but that's just me. The reason I don't play female Shepard is because I don't like the idea of roleplaying off-gender. It's hard for me to think "what would a chick do in this situation" because I don't have a female brain. At that point you're just crafting your own fantasy woman which brings things dangerously close to sex fantasies.

...but then I thought "it would be kinda interesting to play as a female leader of a special forces team." When I created my female Shepard as a secondary character I realized that there really aren't that many examples of women in leadership roles in sci-fi. The only major ones I could think of were the Major from Ghost in the Shell and maybe Captain Janeway.

Agyar

I'm most interested in what constitutes "skipped dialogue". I often "skipped dialogue" but I played with subtitles on and during mundane conversation I would just read ahead then skip to the next "line". I never missed any dialogue but if you counted every time I "skipped" ahead during dialogue it would probably be higher than 15%. This would also be increased by the number of the times I would reload, then skip through dialogue I had already heard.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Patryn said:

Patryn said:
Add me to the Female Engineer list.

I agree with how powerful you see the class. Once I discover the Engineer in ME1, I couldn't go back to anything else. You could single-handedly lock down every enemy in range. I just don't feel right playing anything else.

I don't think we got nerfed too badly, if at all. I mean, we got the Combat Drone, which is pretty dominating, as far as decided which enemy does what. And once Overload is leveled to the point where it overheats weapons, I regain that old ME1 feeling of field control.

I just hope BW doesn't see these stats, and decide to do something radical to the class. ME2 Engineer + a few tweaks is all I want to see in ME3.

I think one reason why soldier was played the most is becasue of how much Bioware developed the franchise on the weapon side. There are so many sweet weapons you can unlock as you progress through the game. I didn't want to miss out on using all of them!

I initially began the game as an adept, (which i loved on Mass Effect 1) But the global cool-downs on biotic skills completely ruined the biotic side for me. In mass effect 1 the lack of a global cool-down is what made the biotic side so fun and appealing.

Zizbuka

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
50 percent of the people didn't finish the game? Wow. I'm always amazed at how many people simply don't finish games they buy.

You'd be even more amazed at how many people don't actually start the games they buy.

....slowly turns to leave conversation :D

valeo

charlequin said:
I read like ten times faster than voice actors talk. I rarely have the patience to sit through all the voice acting in a game.

Agreed. I usually have subtitles off for the first 5-6 hours and then I put them on and skip all of the meaningless conversation. I have to select every possible conversation option just in case it turns up something interesting, though..

I never skip the main storyline/main characters, just the sub plots and less important ones.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sounds like they are prepping justification for some feature-cutting in Mass Effect 3, i mean if Dragon Age 2 is any indication.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mileS said:
Tons of people saying "umm warp is the only useful bio power blah blah" This isn't an MMO and not everybody plays on the hardest difficulty. Have you tried having fun lately? Mixing up all the bio powers is extremely fun and it really makes the games combat stand out compared to every other 3rd person shooter out there. Sure once the shields are down you could probably just kill things just as fast by shooting. You can also use the excuse that your team has these skills as well but if you take some time to notice they don't work exactly the same. For example I'm pretty sure you can't curve the bio powers with your squad.

Too bad Warp is still the only useful ability.

"Fun" or not, Biotic powers fucking suck, and I say that as someone that played a pure Biotic class non-cross-class in ME1. Biotic skills suck, there's no reason to use any skill other than a cross-classed Warp for shield damage and then finishing someone off with a better than the class-restricted gun.

Shame I can't use Warp all the time, it would make the combat less boring than "go into cover, pop out, pop shields, do some damage pop back into cover to avoid death" ho-hum-ness that is pretty much all third person shooters (well, minus the shield bit) now a days.

I play ME for the character interaction, anyway. Too bad Bioware can't have a gay (AKA: NOT LESBIAN) romance option to save their life or make those character interactions matter (sup, Wrex
being dead
?).

Of course, after playing KotOR anything after that from Bioware has been pretty disappointing on the fun front for me. Maybe because of them dropping D20. *shrug*

John

BioWare found that only 15% of conversations were skipped in Mass Effect 2, with the rate higher in non-critical moments like in the hub worlds and much lower later in the game at the climax. "If we found that 80% or 90% of the lines were being skipped, we would have to reevaluate the work that we were putting into the digital acting."

uh

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Aeana said:
Her performance in both games is a big reason why I like them. I reallllly do not like male Shepard at all.

Male Shepard rocks..

Subitai

MechaX said:

I found Adept warp bombs made Insanity much easier to power though than insanity with a Vanguard or Infiltrator. And, once you get Thane, it becomes pretty ridiculous.

The rest of you putting down biotic powers have seen this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4&p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmc8wONufM4&NR=1

I love female Shepard and Jennifer Hale, but all this snobbery about gender superiority is obnoxious. Let people enjoy the gender they choose to play as. It seems to me like some people are really bothered that femshep usage is in the minority and need to bark really loud to get attention and feel vindicated.

Both femshep and male Shepard are awesome. The femshep arrogance was a little cute at first, but now it's getting old. But I know it won't stop and it'll only get louder and I'm only adding to the problem by acknowledging it. Oh well. :lol

Top Bottom