• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Street Fighter V Worth Buying Now?

You need to hold off on SFV then. Once you finish the individual character stories, character trials and the cinematic story modes, theres basically nothing else for you to do except vs. CPU if you don't want to play online. Id wait until at least Extra Battle and Arcade Modes are added in to round out the SP content.

This and missions. When I play I usually end up in training mode, doing normal survival with characters I haven't finished yet, or doing missions.

MCD250

I'm severely tempted to buy the Deluxe Edition for 40 dollars.

But I'm a single player guy so I need to see if it's worth it.
If you're primarily interested in SP, then I would say don't do it. As others have said, there is some SP content, but it's not really much compared to what other games might offer.

Rymuth

OP, I'm not a fighting game enthusiast. I usually buy them for singleplayer content. But SFV is the one that really clicked with me and now I play a couple of matches every night before heading to bed. It has a really fun system and the animation is gorgeous.

$40 is terrific value for the base game + 2 season's worth of characters plus, you'll be swimming in FM to buy season 3's characters when they drop.

Neoxon

Don't pick it then, save your money and get something better maybe KoFXIV or Injustice 2 which will be out soon.
As far as single player content goes, I'd more opt for Injustice 2 (namely because as fun as KoFXIV is, the online community is a bit barren in case he's somewhat curious about testing his skills).

OP, I'm not a fighting game enthusiast. I usually buy them for singleplayer content. But SFV is the one that really clicked with me and now I play a couple of matches every night before heading to bed. It has a really fun system and the animation is gorgeous.

$40 is terrific value for the base game + 2 season's worth of characters plus, you'll be swimming in FM to buy season 3's characters when they drop.
As long as you don't make the same mistake as me & indulge yourself in story costumes.

Neoxon

Kashiwaba

I would implore anyone who is mostly single player oriented to give SF5's multiplayer a chance. It's about as accessible as a fighting game has ever been. You'll definitely take your beatings, but it's a lot quicker to get into the real meat of it as opposed to previous entries which overwhelm with arbitrary complexity.

Metalmarc

What happened to fighting games?

I would come to expect in a Street Fighter thread a resounding yes buy it now from everybody, but this game, in almost every thread theres a lot of no dont bother, or buy sf 4, wait for a sale etc

Mortal Kombat X was meh to me, i think i played it twice (loved 9 though)

I hope that the next Mavel vs Capcom isn't messed up, & i know little about how Tekken 7 turned out

Maybe the upcoming update will fix things, but as of now the game still feels cheap, incomplete, and severely unpolished. No harm in waiting longer.

EDIT: Too late. :(

JusDoIt

If you love to play Street Fighter against other people, then it's been worth getting from day 1. I'm a filthy casual, but I play a few matches almost every single day, because I find hopping online and getting my ass kicked night after night to be fun.

If that ain't your thing it will never be worth purchasing, though. Unless you got a crew of friends ready to play with you regularly. The single player experience you find in a Netherrealm game is never coming to Street Fighter V.

But seriously, look inside your soul: if $40 for 28 characters doesn't make you wanna cop RIGHT NOW it just ain't for you.

Neoxon

I would come to expect in a Street Fighter thread a resounding yes buy it now from everybody, but this game, in almost every thread theres a lot of no dont bother, or buy sf 4, wait for a sale etc

I hope that the next Mavel vs Capcom isn't messed up, & i know little about how Tekken 7 turned out
I don't think anyone here suggested getting SFIV, the community there's kinda dead. The main issue is if the OP was looking at it from a single player content perspective (which SFV now has more of, but not in the excess of games like MKX) or an online/local multiplayer perspective (in which SFV is a great fighting game option).

hatchx

Banned
They will eventually re-release SFV with the missing modes and all the DLC included. It's gonna happen.

So no OP, I'd say wait it out.

Neoxon

They will eventually re-release SFV with the missing modes and all the DLC included. It's gonna happen.

Said additional modes will be given to everyone for free, & the OP will probably have more than enough Fight Money to get the remaining DLC characters thanks to the sale giving him the Season 1 & 2 characters right off the bat.

If there's a re-release of SFV, it'll likely be a physical version of the Deluxe Edition he just got. Unless Capcom goes back on their word & splits the player-base, it won't be anything like SSFIV coming from SFIV.

Kashiwaba

Esports happened and capcom released the game in alpha state, but rejoice we are getting into the beta state soon lol, otherwise i would say SFV is one of my favorite fighting games when it comes to the gameplay and I've been playing fighting games since late 90s.

Any and all additional modes are going to be given free to everyone at no additional cost. Even all the characters can be bought with FM which is an earnable currency in-game.

But buying the Deluxe edition right now will allow you to save up a lot of that FM for future characters/stages/colours etc.

Krammy

With content-rich fighting games like The King of Fighters XIV, Guilty Gear Rev2, and Tekken 7 either already here or on the horizon, I don't think there's a big draw to get a game like Street Fighter V unless you're part of the FGC. If you're just looking for a good single player Street Fighter title, 3rd Strike Online Edition exists.

With that said, some users have said it's on sale and you get the first two seasons of characters for $40, which is a pretty good deal. On the flipside, that's also downloadable content, so perhaps like me, you'd rather wait for a complete disc-based release and save yourself the hassle of downloading stuff.

Neoxon

Any and all additional modes are going to be given free to everyone at no additional cost. Even all the characters can be bought with FM which is an earnable currency in-game.

But buying the Deluxe edition right now will allow you to save up a lot of that FM for future characters/stages/colours etc.
This. As long as the OP doesn't go ham on the colors & costumes like I did, he'll be fine as far as future characters go. Hell, he'll probably have enough leftover for the stages.

On the flipside, that's also downloadable content, so perhaps like me, you'd rather wait for a complete disc-based release and save yourself the hassle of downloading stuff.

The game is gonna keep getting updated every few months with new stuff. Downloading stuff is just gonna be something you have to put up with until 2020.

That's the year Capcom has said they plan to keep supporting the game with new stuff. I guess there'll be a complete edition then but by that time, SF6 will be coming out/have come out.

Single player? move on. there is only story mode and another mode called survival

Survival was pretty controversial before they released colors for purchase. apparantly hard mode is too hard. I manage to clear it by punishing the AI but it wasn't fun compared to other fighting games on higher difficulty.

I remember there was an exploit that allowed you to get free premiums/colors from the psn store. I think it had something to do with messing around with your router/modem settings. Capcom caught on and threatened actions against anyone who did the exploit. Hilarious seeing the reddit community's meltdown and trying to justify risking their accounts over cosmetic shit.

and the end of they day, the community ended up falling for capcom's trap.

"IF I GET BANNED I AM DONE WITH CAPCOM!"

Capcom: "Well I guess you're done with sony since you stole from the psn store and that IS a bannable offense...how about you just give us your money?"

"...ok"

MK9 and 10 led audiences to expect larger singleplayer offerings from their fighting games (although, apparently SC2 and 3 did not, go figure). SF has never had a large singleplayer offering and, honestly, I find the backlash against SF5 for its lack of content to be a little bizarre.

The draw to get SF5 is that, no matter what else is released over the next few years, it WILL remain the premiere fighting game online and in tournaments. I am first and foremost a Tekken fan but I am under no delusion that Tekken 7 will have the same staying power - especially with casual fans.

KoFXIV is great but, as always, it's a ghost town online and only worth playing among local friends.

Rymuth

Single player? move on. there is only story mode and another mode called survival

Survival was pretty controversial before they released colors for purchase. apparently hard mode is too hard. I manage to clear it by punishing the AI but it wasn't fun compared to other fighting games on higher difficulty.
How'd you clear Survival on Hard? Was it the m.shoryuken tactic? Tried that but Bison's second appearance always screws me over.

i bought the game at launch and survival was shitty. Did they ever change it?

Still shitty to play but they've added some QoL stuff. You can keep playing I believe if you get booted from the server/lose your internet conection.

Fortunately with missions and trials and stuff, there's more ways to get FM.
How'd you clear Survival on Hard? Was it the m.shoryuken tactic? Tried that but Bison's second appearance always screws me over.
I cleared Hard and Insane (formerly named Hell difficulty) with Ken using that trick.

Also did Hard Ryu using the same thing, Hard Bison using the head stomp followup abuse thing, and Hard with FANG by spamming d+u poison balls.

If you have decent internet and a local population to play against online, then its worth buying.
Without the above, you might wanna wait for arcade mode and the ability to search for lobbies via connection quality. The absence of both these things is still greatly disappointing to me.

Calm Mind

Definitely not worth it unless you like being at the mercy of publisher who caters only to a rabid yet rapidly declining fanbase satisfied with an incomplete product at the expense of an underwhelming eSport circuit.

Neoxon

Definitely not worth it unless you like being at the mercy of publisher who caters only to a rabid yet rapidly declining fanbase satisfied with an incomplete product at the expense of an underwhelming eSport circuit.
CPT's been doing pretty well (they even expanded the prize pool), & ELEAGUE's actually quite fun to watch.

DR2K

Banned
Buy KOFXIV instead.

Don't do this unless you want barebones single player mode, convoluted hand hurting motions for moves, and a dead ass online community.

SFV is on sale on PSN. The game and both season passes for $40. It's a good game, plays good, and is easy to get into, and will continue to get updates with a healthy community for a long time.

If you haven't gotten it yet, chances are you don't want it for the reasons it's so fantastic. Get injustice or something with single player stuff to collect.

Still shitty to play but they've added some QoL stuff. You can keep playing I believe if you get booted from the server/lose your internet conection.

Fortunately with missions and trials and stuff, there's more ways to get FM.
Yup, cleared Hard and Insane (formerly named Hell difficulty) with Ken using that trick.

Also did Hard Ryu using the same thing, Hard Bison using the head stomp followup abuse thing, and Hard with FANG by spamming d+u poison balls.

I was still playing when they added the challenges. I thought those were helpful for people like me who were trying to get better. i think it's time to jump back in

Don't do this unless you want barebones single player mode, convoluted hand hurting motions for moves, and a dead ass online community..

I'd take barebones over nothing any day, lol.

I'd say to get Guilty Gear, but if you absolutely hate anime fighters, KOF XIV is the best next thing.

But you already got SFV and for that price it's quite a good deal. I paid $20 more and have half the characters AND stages that you will have so have fun

If you plan to play online and improve then absolutely. It's still the most active fighting game out there and can find matches anytime and all the time across all ranks. But if you play singleplayer then no. Get MKX or injustice 2.

"lol super ultra arcade sigma lol greedy Capcom" "look at Mortal Kombat, you need a real single player story mode not arcade"

"ok here we addressed both and made execution easier"

"fuck you Capcom, fuckin esports"

Plenty of issues with the game but this shit gets tiring

remz

I feel a lot of people really misrepresent the amount of "content" in KOF XIV... it's not THAT much more than what's in SFV (arcade mode tho sure)

Surely the actual good single player game is Guilty Gear- which along with Blazblue is about the only one that doesn't have braindead boring SP modes (i love MOM and mission mode sue me)

If you have some friends you can play with, go for it.

If you don't, and you want a complete product, you should try to get Guilty Gear XRD : Revelator instead. It's 14 bucks on US PSN i think, best value you can get : Lot of solo content, great game, great mechanics, probably one of the best tutorial ever, great ost.

MKX is also a great complete product. Injustice 2 is coming in 3 weeks too, and it will be packed with content.

I feel a lot of people really misrepresent the amount of "content" in KOF XIV... it's not THAT much more than what's in SFV (arcade mode tho sure)

Surely the actual good single player game is Guilty Gear- about the only one that doesn't have braindead boring SP modes.

It also has the normal amount of characters that you expect in a KOF, while SFV came with so little it kinda hurts (it's better now, but I hate being locked out of almost half the cast by fight money)

DR2K

Banned
I'd take barebones over nothing any day, lol.

I'd say to get Guilty Gear, but if you absolutely hate anime fighters, KOF XIV is the best next thing.

But you already got SFV and for that price it's quite a good deal. I paid $20 more and have half the characters AND stages that you will have so have fun

You'll get both in KOF14. KOFs story mode is just 2 minutes of cheap CGI played over arcade mode. And a few extra pictures depending on the team you choose. Then there's time trial mode, a mission mode to practice shitty commands, I think there's an online mode, dead as fuck now.

KOF14 has more characters than SFV. That's it. SFV trounces it in terms of single player content, visuals, online, etc... I know it's all cool to hate SFV for some people, fucked up launch and Capcom being inept regardless, but these are the facts. KOF has its niche, if you're really big into fighters and want to play around with a ton of characters then it's a more sensible choice.

Wait, how is KoFXIV a shining beacon of single player while SFV is fuck-you-greedy-Capcom-bitches? Last time I checked, it had ending scenes for established teams and a few hidden ones. The meat of the game is still fighting (duh!), either the CPU or local or online.

lupinko

I'm severely tempted to buy the Deluxe Edition for 40 dollars.

But I'm a single player guy so I need to see if it's worth it.

That deluxe edition is a steal at $40, just do it!

12 new characters instead of grinding 1.2 million Fight Money to get them and is cheaper due to being bundled together
- Alex, Guile, Ibuki, Balrog, Juri, Urien, Akuma, Kolin, apparently Ed, and three completely new and never before playable in SF game characters.
- 12 battle costumes for the dlc characters
- two PSN themes
- Air Force Base (Guile Stage) unlocked, so you didn't have to grind 70,000 FM

The five hour story mode is already free and it gets constant free updates with regards to play mechanics.

Top Bottom