• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

This sounds fucking awesome. I hope they do a black-only screening of black panther so MRAs can cry again.

Women have been waiting for this movie for literally half a century. I'm ready.

Sai-kun

Banned
fucking dumbass man: "can we have a thing for men that i only just thought of because you're doing something for women"

theatre: "No!"

lmfaoooo perfect

Many states have laws that businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of gender, race, etc - the so called "Ladies Night" laws - although some allow it for promotions or special events. Not sure about Texas, but in California they would not legally be allowed to bar a man from buying a ticket and going. If they denied him a ticket, he could file a sex discrimination lawsuit.

Of course you'd kind of have to be an asshole to want to crash this party.

Haha, oh wow. From all the whining I thought Alamo Drafthouse must have been doing exclusively women-only showings all opening weekend in all theaters. It's a fucking single showing on a Tuesday in Austin only? Holy fuck MRAs are such manchildren.

jem0208

Many states have laws that businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of gender, race, etc - the so called "Ladies Night" laws - although some allow it for promotions or special events. Not sure about Texas, but in California they would not legally be allowed to bar a man from buying a ticket and going.

I was thinking that.

I thought barring entry based purely on gender was illegal...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Many states have laws that businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of gender, race, etc - the so called "Ladies Night" laws - although some allow it for promotions or special events. Not sure about Texas, but in California they would not legally be allowed to bar a man from buying a ticket and going. If they denied him a ticket, he could file a sex discrimination lawsuit.

It's a handful of states only that have found them illegal.

Was talking with my friend about this this morning because we love Alamo Drafthouse. If this is something you get mad about you're objectively a dumb person.

BUT WHY ISNT THERE A WHITE HISTORY / STRAIGHT PRIDE MONTH

Fucking snowflakes. I've seen elementary school children behave with more poise and maturity than these MRA cucks

These very limited showings are on Sunday, rule extends to Alamo's own staff, and proceeds are going to planned parenthood. I don't why anyone is getting upset about this. Well, not really.

I must say I'd hate to watch a film surrounded entirely by dudes. Wouldn't want a part of that sausage fest.

Massive overreaction by the people moaning. If they banned men permanently (like men only golf clubs used to be) then sure, but 2 screenings on a random fucking tuesday? Christ...

LionPride

Banned
lol, they mad.
Or as Cam'ron said
giphy.gif

Shy Fingers

Banned
It's only for two screenings on one day. If it upsets dudes so much they can't watch a movie on a specific time on Tuesday they can go to other theaters.

I'm all for the women's screening, but this rings pretty close to the religious right's arguments on gay wedding cakes.

Kite

One of the things I hate most in this world are hypocrites, if you wouldn't do a whites/men/cis only night then don't pull this kind of bs. I m a regular customer at the Alamo Drafthouse near me, but they aren't being clever or making a statement here. They are doing a small part in making the current atmosphere a little more toxic and give the alt-right type ammo for their nonsense.

If a homophobic baker refuses to make a cake for a gay couple, another baker deciding to publicly stop baking for cis customers is the wrong and dumb thing to do. It's eye-rolling cringy.

One of the things I hate most in this world are hypocrites, if you wouldn't do a whites/men/cis only night then don't pull this kind of bs. I m a regular customer at the Alamo Drafthouse near me, but they aren't being clever or making a statement here. They are doing a small part in making the current atmosphere a little more toxic and give the alt-right type ammo for their nonsense.

If a homophobic baker refuses to make a cake for a gay couple, another baker deciding to publicly stop baking for cis customers is the wrong and dumb thing to do. It's eye-rolling cringy.

This is a really bad take. Why is it always the people with skulls?

I'm all for the women's screening, but this rings pretty close to the religious right's arguments on gay wedding cakes.

Yeah maybe if you remove literally any and all context from the situation.

This might be the only time I've seen people wanting to see a Thor movie.

----

Giving them ammo?

lol, they turned a fucking frog into an icon.

Alienous

That's an interesting way to generate internet buzz, because I'm sure the genesis of the idea wasn't to celebrate a female superhero. Nah, with how sassy and sharp those replies are this seems like an attempt to get people to show their arses.

Top Bottom