• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman on ‘Logan’ Spoilers, His ‘Apocalypse’ Cameo, a Wolverine Reboot and More

X2 along with Spider-Man 2 are two of the most genuine and well made comic books films. They "feel" like the comics they're adapting and are handled with amazing care and love.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
James has confirmed that shot of Logan holding Laura’s hand, which is crushing, is straight from Yukio’s premonition in The Wolverine. How did that connection come about?

Huuuuh, what? How can that be since that timeline was erased? And Logan didn't died holding his heart in the movie.

I love this movie so much. It brought me to tears watching everything. X-23 was also amazing!

Can someone please explain to me what Wolverine's appearance in Apocalypse means? I'm still confused on how that ties to Logan or even with the after credits scene.
Huuuuh, what? How can that be since that timeline was erased? And Logan didn't died holding his heart in the movie.
Symbolism man!

X-Men is basically the only superhero film series I enjoy. Not sure what I like about it so much. Maybe it's all the misery.

The original X-Men is a fantastic film, easy to sneer now but it really did change the game. Just a shame Sabretooth fucking sucks.

An X-23 movie would not go over well with middle America. A
young clone of Wolverine with her full backstory which they can use since it's an alternative version
is a hard sell and violent as shit. Especially,
her days a young prostitute in New Orleans or her time as a hitman in the program

LOGAN put them in a creative bind anyway as that's hard to craft your way out of.

You do realize she is a fictional character they can do anything with. They aren't bound to her comic book history.

Logan was great and it sucks that Hugh has to go but I'm really insterested to see Josh Boone's New Mutants.

I've said it before but the X-Men film series has never did it for me for some reason. I guess because to me they never really felt like X-Men movies.

I'm hoping a fresh take will change that.

it's such a bummer about how much this movie falls apart in the second half, especially when the first half is so amazing. dark wolverine was so corny and lame

I thought he was a pretty scary villain. I was reminded of Terminator, where the protagonists are being hunted by a force of nature that cannot be killed, merely slowed down long enough to live another day. It also resonated thematically since Logan has been fighting his feral side his entire life.

For me the part that slightly rubbed against the bleak, realistic tone of the movie was the Transigen stuff. It's not that I don't think humans as capable of such horrors, but the way it was portrayed felt cartoonishly evil at times. Or maybe I'm being naive. In any case, the Wolverine clone was more compelling to me than the other villains in the film.

Ithil

I see no reason to not just keep the same actress for X-23 and have her do some films as a full on superhero (a new Wolverine if they wish) in a few years. I presume she's just hitting her teens now, by the time the New Mutants, Dark Phoenix film, etc are all done she'll probably be the age of X-23 when introduced in the comics.

The timeline is messy given she's in the future compared to the other films, but hey, they're comic book films, they can figure something out.

Alastor3

They better not recast Dafne Keen. I want her to get her own series of X-23 films in a few years, when she'll be old enough. In the meantime, between Deadpool, New Mutants, X-Men and probably X-Force, we don't need a new Wolverine any time soon. Let that character rest for a while.

exactly, she is perfect.

tauroxd

It would be a damn shame not to make movies. in plural, with Dafne Keen. She did a very good job as Laura.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think the girl in Logan did a good job but nothing so outstanding that would warrant a solo movie with her. Maybe in a couple of years when she becomes older.

If I where Fox I would use her character to reboot the franchise and set it permanently in the future.

I think the girl in Logan did a good job but nothing so outstanding that would warrant a solo movie with her. Maybe in a couple of years when she becomes older.

If I where Fox I would use her character to reboot the franchise and set it permanently in the future.

I hold that the continuity doesn't even matter at this point. They can put Dafne Keen's X-23 in the same movie as James McAvoy's Charles and set it in present day and no one would really care. They can bring back pre-timeline reset characters like Yukio and everyone would just shrug and say "cool, works for me." Such is the nature of comics. You bend the continuity around the stories you want to tell with the characters you want to tell and readers have, for the most part, just gone with it.

James Bond has been going for over 50 years now and the only people who care about the timeline are some dorks with a codename theory.

The original version of Origins he talks about sounds interesting, that actually might have been a good movie if they hadn't gone in the direction they went.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eeeh.... Opinions, I guess... I personally think it was just this side of boring dog shit.

Oh come on. "Dog shit" and "trash" are really played out now as terms. You can't use them just because you dislike a film - it has to actually be a film so badly made it's insulting.

Which is not DOFP. Catwoman, sure.

Oh come on. "Dog shit" and "trash" are really played out now as terms. You can't use them just because you dislike a film - it has to actually be a film so badly made it's insulting.

Which is not DOFP. Catwoman, sure.
DOFP and Xmen Apocalypse are this side of dog shit, meaning if they were any worse they would be. Catwoman and Batman and Robin are actually dog shit movies...

And no, I can still use the term dog shit to describe things that fit the description. Whether or not you like the term holds no relevance.

Once upon a time in the year 2000, a man named Bryan Singer made a movie where Wolverine was tall, Rogue wasn't strong, and everyone wore black leather.

Legend has it that to this day, some people still haven't let it go.

SpaceWolf

Banned
And no, I can still use the term dog shit to describe things that fit the description. Whether or not you like the term holds no relevance.

Sure, but it doesn't make you sound any less silly (not to mention grossly hyperbolic).

Once upon a time in the year 2000, a man named Bryan Singer made a movie where Wolverine was tall, Rogue wasn't strong, and everyone wore black leather.

Legend has it that to this day, some people still haven't let it go.

DOG SHIT FILM.

TRASH.

GARBAGE.

don't know how they are supposed to integrate x-23 into the series now since her timeline is like 50 years ahead of the next xmen movie, new mutants. maybe her, cable and hope can go back in time and make the x-babies into x-force.

Sure, but it doesn't make you sound any less silly (not to mention grossly hyperbolic).

DOG SHIT FILM.

TRASH.

GARBAGE.
Not sure you know what hyperbole means.
Hyperbole means an exaggeration not meant to be taken seriously.
Just as I'd avoid stepping in dog crap, I avoid watching those movies again, seriously. It's not an exaggeration. Nothing hyperbolic about it. It's me being honest with you. They were terrible films. I always assumed people who acted like they enjoyed them were just trying to be ironic.

don't know how they are supposed to integrate x-23 into the series now since her timeline is like 50 years ahead of the next xmen movie, new mutants. maybe her, cable and hope can go back in time and make the x-babies into x-force.
Cable has to come from somewhere in Deadpool 2.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Not sure you know what hyperbole means.
Hyperbole means an exaggeration not meant to be taken seriously.
Just as I'd avoid stepping in dog crap, I avoid watching those movies again, seriously. It's not an exaggeration. Nothing hyperbolic about it. It's me being honest with you. They were terrible films. I always assumed people who acted like they enjoyed them were just trying to be ironic.

First of all, in actuality the term hyperbole refers to an exaggeration not meant to be taken literally, not seriously. Minor difference, but an important one.

Secondly, uh....yeah, dude. I'm not seriously implying that you genuinely believed the film was literal dog shit after you first saw it in the cinema, and were thus criticising it for being canine excrement as opposed to a motion picture revolving around popular comic book characters. But that still doesn't change the fact that in going for such a grossly extreme exaggeration about the movie's quality, you still come across as very silly, and as such it's difficult to take your viewpoint seriously, along with countless other people who simply deride certain movies as TRASH or GARBAGE, without offering any kind of additional critical insight or analysis beyond one word playground insults.

You didn't enjoy the movie? That's perfectly fine. You strongly disliked the movie, maybe even hated it? That's cool. But to proclaim the movie was DOG SHIT, 1/10, worst....movie.....ever? It's such a over-exaggerated, not to mention mildly childish, reaction, it's hard to take it entirely seriously. I appreciate your honesty, but if you're not at least going to try expanding upon your particular view that an extremely well reviewed and well regarded film is DOG SHIT, then don't expect me not to roll my eyes in reaction to it before moving on to the next post.

It's me being honest with you. They were terrible films. I always assumed people who acted like they enjoyed them were just trying to be ironic.

(Rolls eyes)

Okay, mate. Sure.

First of all, in actuality the term hyperbole refers to an exaggeration not meant to be taken literally, not seriously. Minor difference, but an important one.

Secondly, uh....yeah, dude. I'm not seriously implying that you genuinely believed the film was literal dog shit after you first saw it in the cinema, and were thus criticising it for being canine excrement as opposed to a motion picture revolving around popular comic book characters. But that still doesn't change the fact that in going for such a grossly extreme exaggeration about the movie's quality, you still come across as very silly, and as such it's difficult to take your viewpoint seriously, along with countless other people who simply deride certain movies as TRASH or GARBAGE, without offering any kind of additional critical insight or analysis beyond one word playground insults.

You didn't enjoy the movie? That's perfectly fine. You strongly disliked the movie, maybe even hated it? That's cool. But to proclaim the movie was DOG SHIT, 1/10, worst....movie.....ever? It's such a over-exaggerated, not to mention mildly childish, reaction, it's hard to take it entirely seriously. I appreciate your honesty, but if you're not at least going to try expanding upon your particular view that an extremely well reviewed and well regarded film is DOG SHIT, then don't expect me not to roll my eyes in reaction to it before moving on to the next post.

(Rolls eyes)

Okay, mate. Sure.
So, you double down with actual hyperbole and lie about what I actually said... ...and somehow I'm the childish one? Seriously?

The movies were poorly written, with dry dialog, and lackluster set pieces. They were made-for-TV quality at best but with a bigger special effects budget than they were worth. They weren't fun to watch, not even in a "so bad it's good" sort of way.

It's OK to not agree with me, but don't be an ass just because I don't share your opinion.

PSqueak

Banned

Remember at the end of Days of Future Past, Logan's memories from the original timeline override whatever happened after everything was retconned.

dankir

Literally just finished watching it for the first time..... wow! We started with Wolverine Origins and end with this???

Amazing, freaking amazing.

As for lists First Class and Days of Future Past are great. I have Apocalypse on blu ray but still haven't watched it. X2 is great but X1 and X3 are Meh.

Top Bottom