• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Phil would shut up and stop playing the pr game. Give us some details about your systems if you’re really genuine about wanting this to happen.

CookTrain

I wish Phil would shut up and stop playing the pr game. Give us some details about your systems if you’re really genuine about wanting this to happen.

How do you mean? What more details are you after beyond the games that are coming with crossplay in them across as many platforms permit?

Hugstable

Banned
Thread could've ended after this post.

Something that sony didn't actually say (fanboys created that excuse) and then coming out with a good ole shitpost about microsoft not having first party games (cause we all know that's extremely relevant to the topic) is something you think should have ended the thread?

lol what a crock of shit. he's answering interview questions.

Seriously, what is he supposed to do if an interviewer asks him a question?

Granjinha

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

That's bullshit. You don't know what you're talking about. Rocket League and Fortnite don't need Xbox Live logins. Sony never said that was the reason. Stop being a corporate shill.

No it couldn't because that's made up. If you want to be a corporate shill at least get your facts straight and don't go on quoting and spewing bullshit that doesn't exist.

Something that sony didn't actually say (fanboys created that excuse) and then coming out with a good ole shitpost about microsoft not having first party games (cause we all know that's extremely relevant to the topic) is something you think should have ended the thread?

He probably means so that we can all ruminate on how bad of a post it is and how quickly defensive console warriors can derail threads.

LAA

Woah, people are angry this keeps being mentioned? Probably the same people wanting complaints about loot boxes toned down.

It needs to keep being said so they change their mind/priorities, and if we want it, why should we keep quiet? Not even just us, it will be a problem for Sony as well of they still don't have it by next gen, I can see it being a point to consider.

Phil only seems to speak when it has to do with Sony and cross play
Hmm

Phil responds to questions like anyone else. You don't see most of what he says because most of what he says isn't contentious or even interesting enough to carry a whole discussion or center a thread around.

SOR5

I
Don’t
Care
About
Your
Made
Up
Console
War

It’s getting old this passive aggressive “well! Just ask Sony why they don’t want people to have fun!”

Sony doesn’t have a reason to. It’s annoying, as I would like to play games with my brother in law, but until there is actual news on this, who cares with Phil says anymore? The ball isn’t in his court unless the Xbox X changes the landscape dramatically or something.

Oh bloody hell it's not about that and you know it isnt, the vast majority of people here just want to see a unified infrastructure, it's an objectively good thing for us as consumers but for obvious reasons it seems to lure PR apologists and console warriors out the woodwork (and yes, your post was an irrelevant jab considering the very obscure and less popular audiences Sony has had crossplay with before)

Stop defending it, it was shit when Microsoft was shrugging it off in the 360 era and it's shit that Sony is doing it now

Spades

It's so weird to have this kind of response juxtaposed against all the foaming at the mouth over loot boxes. Crossplay would have an immediate positive effect on some of the biggest multiplayer games out right now, and people are losing their minds over the possibility that loot boxes could make a game worse.

Maybe Microsoft should bring back some of the greatest hits since its apparently ok now. Put Netflix back in the Live subscription, make Xbox One always online and do away with used game reselling everywhere but Gamestop, bring back the requirements for indie developers. They're just doing it to make more money, so all the people siding with Sony in this thread should be fine with it.

Bra-fucking-vo, Sir. Nail on the head.

giphy.gif

Never change, Sony fanboys.

Alebelly

lol, if you didn't want factual reasons why did you ask in the first place?

Im curious, I play lots of games across PC, PS4, Switch. I am a bit clueless how any of this really matters beyond a talking point.

I get that it sounds awesome, just not convinced it matters.

kpaadet

To be honest, I don't think anyone who is for cross play isn't denying that PS4 has a severe lead over the direct competitor in terms of software. Cross play benefits consumers and the developers involved. You get quicker, more accurate matchmaking, more opportunities to interact with the community at large, and it is less troubling for developers to patch and develop for each separate platform.

It's very disheartening to see push back against the movement because Sony fans apparently see the movement as cause to push back against them. I can't speak of what Spencer's intentions truly are, but the idea of cross play seems ridiculous to fight against at all.
Not sure why you're explaining what Cross play is good for, it's not a concept hard to grasp. And I'm not fighting against it if that is what you think, I have just come to terms with the market leader not really having an interest in implementing it. Last gen it was MS now it's Sony.

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

But he's the Savior of Xbox!

Novocaine

“Go ask Sony” is probably the response I’d give if people kept asking me the same question over and over too. Especially considering he’s already made his point well known.

What the fuck is wrong with some of you?

He's being asked a question in an interview.

He wants to allow cross play and Sony doesn't. That's obviously the answer that's he's going to give.

Whatever reason Sony has is fine, but they are the ones that don't want it to happen. It's not a stance that is good for gamers. It's a stance they are taking because they are killing Microsoft in terms of sales and don't feel the need to do anything.

They didn't allow EA access either. Which surprisingly turned out to be a great value.

CookTrain

Im curious, I play lots of games across PC, PS4, Switch. I am a bit clueless how any of this really matters beyond a talking point.

I get that it sounds awesome, just not convinced it matters.

Well it won't matter to everyone, at least not in an obvious-at-first way, it seems. That's fine. Some of us are just very passionate about it because we can see potential in eliminating the pointless barriers that have become outdated and serve no purpose but division.

Doukou

That doesn't change the fact the connection you made is speculation from your side, unless you have a statement from Sony or Square or Nintendo to back it up?

No I don’t have a statement which is why I believe we should ask Sony about crossplay more.

Rajang

It's so weird to have this kind of response juxtaposed against all the foaming at the mouth over loot boxes. Crossplay would have an immediate positive effect on some of the biggest multiplayer games out right now, and people are losing their minds over the possibility that loot boxes could make a game worse.

Maybe Microsoft should bring back some of the greatest hits since its apparently ok now. Put Netflix back in the Live subscription, make Xbox One always online and do away with used game reselling everywhere but Gamestop, bring back the requirements for indie developers. They're just doing it to make more money, so all the people siding with Sony in this thread should be fine with it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

At least you're kind of living up to your name. 😜

Blam

No it couldn't have because it's wrong.

I guess I'm quoting myself again.

I mean seriously I want this not for Minecraft and I don't care if Sony doesn't want to do it.

I want this so every game that is able to be crossplay becomes crossplay. This isn't about Minecraft. This is about every multi-platform game that can become crossplay to be cross play this is about, Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, and more to come. The more games become easier to be cross-platform they will continue to want crossplay.

Stop thinking this is only about Minecraft. It's not.

Also this thread needs to be cleaned up there's bait posts scattered around this thread.

Alebelly

Well it won't matter to everyone, at least not in an obvious-at-first way, it seems. That's fine. Some of us are just very passionate about it because we can see potential in eliminating the pointless barriers that have become outdated and serve no purpose but division.

Yeah, I get that for sure.

Nimby

Banned
Not sure why you're explaining what Cross play is good for, it's not a concept hard to grasp

It apparently is for a good majority of this thread.

My response was purely to tell people that, you're right that PS4 has a heavy lead on the comptetition, but that shouldn't come at the cost of cross play.

dezzy8

No it couldn't because that's made up. If you want to be a corporate shill at least get your facts straight and don't go on quoting and spewing bullshit that doesn't exist.

Nobody is being a shill. With Minecraft cross play you need a MS account. Put yourself in the shoes of Sony's CEO. Would you want your consumers to sign up for Xbox Live? No.

And MS really does need to worry about their first party games and stop cancelling and closing studios. They should be trying to get Final Fantasy XIV on their system since they're so open to cross play now.

VeeP

It’s the same reason we don’t have EA access in PS4. Sony wants to make money and it will screw the consumer if it needs to happen. Bullshit excuses like “not a good value” or “protect he children” are just that, bullshit. They think they can make more money by only offering their services (PS Now or whatever) and by locking their system down more people would have to buy a console to play with their friends who have a PS4.

Not sure why you're explaining what Cross play is good for, it's not a concept hard to grasp. And I'm not fighting against it if that is what you think, I have just come to terms with the market leader not really having an interest in implementing it. Last gen it was MS now it's Sony.
Yeah see that’s false. Any sales thread that comes along on gaf we consistently hear how Sony was behind last gen. They weren’t, they held strong against MS. I mean in the USA MS was doing very well compared to Sony but worldwide PlayStation was holding strong.

Nobody is being a shill. With Minecraft cross play you need a MS account. Put yourself in the shoes of Sony's CEO. Would you want your consumers to sign up for Xbox Live? No.

And MS really does need to worry about their first party games and stop cancelling and closing studios. They should be trying to get Final Fantasy XIV on their system since they're so open to cross play now.

Cool, so why does Sony block Rocket League crossplay which doesn't require an Xbox account?

Septic360

Banned
It apparently is for a good majority of this thread.

Lol exactly. Don't even bother venturing onto N4G's take on this right now. The excuses are as follows:

1. No one wants it
2. Xbox is desperate because low playerbase
3. Microsoft is hiding something! (I shit you not)
4. Xbox Live is mandatory

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's so warming to see so many XB1 fans wanting to play with PS4 owners. Unfortunately, it looks like the only way they'll be able to do that is to buy a PS4. This is business suicide by Sony. Can't they see that!?

CookTrain

If you can't specifically play with your friends and have party chat, what's the point?

Even buying into your premise that it needs those things day one or it's useless... given how trivial the connection is, such that developers are reaching a point of doing it accidentally... why not do it?

That said, if you don't see a point in cross play until those things are in place. That's fine. You'll have to be patient until it has a point to you then.

Blam

Lol exactly. Don't even bother venturing onto N4G's take on this right now. The excuses are as follows:

1. No one wants it

Lmao Xbox Live is mandatory so is PSN kek.

1. No one wants it

Don't forget:

5. Maybe Microsoft should focus on their first party instead of trying to get cross play.

It's so warming to see so many XB1 fans wanting to play with PS4 owners.

Or maybe some of us have all the consoles but our friends don't. Maybe there are a million reasons why uniting the player bases is better for everyone.

If you can't specifically play with your friends and have party chat, what's the point?

skill-based matchmaking works better with a larger player pool
regional matchmaking works better with a larger player pool
larger player pools in general benefit regions where the playerbase of a given game isn't as large as it would be in, say, the US or UK

Gaenor

Banned

It has been said a couple of times in this thread. Even better matchmaking and connection are two reasons why. And they also have to start somewhere before having more advanced features like party chat and friend invites. With more and more games having crossplay, the more chance we have of having these features. It’s the next logical step.

They allow cross-play with PC which doesn't have parties or voice chat across platforms. It gives a larger playbase to matchmake from, which means you can more accurately get matched with people of your similar skill level. The larger a playerbase is, the better your experience will be.

Septic360

Banned
It's so warming to see so many XB1 fans wanting to play with PS4 owners.

Some of us have mates (plural I know!) playing on multiple platforms.

Not just that, but cross play would enhance player numbers, faster matchmaking and increased chances of being matched with similar skilled players.

No one in their right mind would excuse Sony for this. Sony can come up with "For the Shareholders" excuse if it wants but that does little for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom