• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giro d'Italia 2017 |OT|

I just turned this on at your reminder and man is the stage 4 finish depressing. Strip malls and big box stores. They can't find anything more picturesque to compete with the shots from the Giro/Vuelta/TdF?
Stage 4 started at Santa Barbara which is a great place to visit, it's kinda funny that the stage ends near Magic Mountain. The Queen's Stage 5 took place on Glendora Mountain Road and Mt. Baldy, beautiful places to ride. The Stage 6 TT takes place at Big Bear Lake, very scenic.

But yeah, the final Stage 7 will finish in Old Town Pasadena, more strip malls and big box stores, lol.

Wow. Just saw the replay of today's sprint.

Perhaps the most impressive sprint I've seen since the one where Cav came from 50m back in a TdF stage 5-6 years ago.

Stage 4 started at Santa Barbara which is a great place to visit, it's kinda funny that the stage ends near Magic Mountain. The Queen's Stage 5 took place on Glendora Mountain Road and Mt. Baldy, beautiful places to ride. The Stage 6 TT takes place at Big Bear Lake, very scenic.

But yeah, the final Stage 7 will finish in Old Town Pasadena, more strip malls and big box stores, lol.

I actually got engaged in SBA, and lived 10 years all over LA (including Montrose near Pasadena), so yeah I know the area well. I agree Stage 5 looked great, really enjoyed that one. Still haven't watched stage 6 footage yet. Finish is in Old Town? Well, it could be the Paseo I suppose... should finish it at JPL though for maximum cool points.

What a strange little stage today's is. Shortest stage of the race with a single, though brutal at the end, climb at the end. I suppose the best we can hope for is for Movistar or Bahrain to smash the entire climb and see if they can unhook enough of Tom's guys to leave him exposed on the steeper section. Though I suspect most the bigs guys will all come in together.

kch

Oh man. Tom is amazing. Sure the stage fit him like a glove but breaking even Nairo at the end /bow

Great win.

Nibali really struggling at the end.

Very impressive from Tom, but it will be interesting to see how he does on the multi category climbs. This suited him well.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Wow what a performance! Nibali and Quintana cracked. Even if Dumoilin loses time in the multi mountain stages, he can still make it back in the final ITT.

Addnan

During the coverage do they ever show power smoothed out over a period. Just seeing random live power is weird. Just see numbers jump from 200-600-100-0.

kottila

Dumolin stops the group after quintana crashes by himself, while movistar kept riding with several people going down caused by a motorcycle parked on the road. Maybe they will learn something from this (probably not)

Fonds

Jeez that Kangert crash was horrific, poor guy broke his elbow

Yeah that was a nasty sight.

Thread has been updated again so we're ready for the final week of Mountain Stages.
Can't wait to see if Tom can defend his jersey in the coming stages.

kch

Isn't there supposed to be a marshal flagging to indicate road furniture? Seems like an accident that didn't need to happen.

Usually yes but the marshals this Giro have nearly been the cause of some crashes with their dumb positioning so not sure which option is best really :/
That crash war indeed horrible though!

Will this be the stage where Tom breaks, or shows how much he has shaped up to be a real contender in the grand tours? Go Tom!

Top Bottom