• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Udemy courses on sale for $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayant

To be honest, the price is possibly being inflated. Udemy almost always has both 90% sales and 95% coupons available, to the point where paying $200 is almost never necessary. Maybe it's to make moments like these more tempting.
Yh it's insane how many sales they have from time to time almost never worth it to full price expect if the course rarely goes on offer.

Minamu

Unity cert is not part of the package. You have to take an exam through Unity and they charge like $150 to take it IIRC. As to its value, I couldn't say. I would like to know myself what it's worth. Being I'm self taught in everything, I just thought it'd be nice to have some kind of paper in my hand I guess.
Oh I thought Udemy had their own cert process :lol Thanks, I'm not gonna pay that kind of money, I doubt anyone really cares if you're looking for work in the games business.

Gintamen

Got the 4 Attain japanese courses for Beginner, Kanji, N5 amd N4. Just got to force myself to use them now...

No. of courses enrolled in: 17 (paid)
Amount paid: CAD $255
Saved: CAD $2100

Now, let's see if it was worth all that.
Could have saved 85$ by reading he OP and using the coupon.

Zojirushi

Somebody's got any experience with the language courses (looking at the Japanese one)?

How do they compare to Rosetta and the likes?

i-Lo

Got the 4 Attain japanese courses for Beginner, Kanji, N5 amd N4. Just got to force myself to use them now...

Could have saved 85$ by reading he OP and using the coupon.

Nope, I tried. For Canadians it was $19 and one of those codes took it down to $15.

KevinRo

Alright guys, not to be a wet blanket but..

If you're going to do this like any project or hobby, give the old college try, eh?

Remember, in school we spent ridiculous amounts of hours each semester in lecture, discussion and for homework/tests.

Apply the same type of motivation after work and on the weekends and you'll reap the rewards.

Cheers.

What are the chances of getting a programming job with these classes?

Fairly good. If your able to use these courses to get a good knowledge of programming you can definitely impress in an interview, as your degrees mean very little at that point.

Although with no experience and no degrees the real challenge will be to get an interview in the first place. But don't let that stop you :).

Slo

What are the chances of getting a programming job with these classes?

People really shouldn't think of the software industry as "Take class ==> Get job." I'm not saying that you think this way, but many people think of a CS degree like it's a fork lift operator's license or something.

Rather, people should think of getting a job in programming the same way they'd think of getting a job as a chef. Sure, many employers are going to give heavy preference to those who have formal training, but at the end of the day they just care whether you can cook or not.

The question you should be asking is will this class teach me to cook or not.

What do you guys recommend for getting into Web Development? I enrolled in the Boot Camp but is there additional frameworks I should learn? AJAX?

Tristam

What do you guys recommend for getting into Web Development? I enrolled in the Boot Camp but is there additional frameworks I should learn? AJAX?

AJAX isn't a framework, but leveraging it is essential in modern web development. I would recommend learning one or more MV* frameworks as they're also increasingly essential to modern web development. I would start with something fairly minimal (like KnockoutJS) and then move on to learn something far broader in scope and more 'opinionated' (like Angular.js).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I began CS50 last year and got about 40% through the course before I had to stop.

I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to computer science and programming and I want to continue my education. Should I re-enroll with CS50 or take one of Udemy's classes?

Specifically when it comes to data science which course offered by Udemy would be the most valuable?

Slo

I began CS50 last year and got about 40% through the course before I had to stop.

I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to computer science and programming and I want to continue my education. Should I re-enroll with CS50 or take one of Udemy's classes?

Specifically when it comes to data science which course offered by Udemy would be the most valuable?

Look for some classes in Python or R.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Based on these "bootcamps", I sort of don't understand webdev technologies... is Rails/Ruby not considered web development?

Fairly good. If your able to use these courses to get a good knowledge of programming you can definitely impress in an interview, as your degrees mean very little at that point.

Although with no experience and no degrees the real challenge will be to get an interview in the first place. But don't let that stop you :).

People really shouldn't think of the software industry as "Take class ==> Get job." I'm not saying that you think this way, but many people think of a CS degree like it's a fork lift operator's license or something.

Rather, people should think of getting a job in programming the same way they'd think of getting a job as a chef. Sure, many employers are going to give heavy preference to those who have formal training, but at the end of the day they just care whether you can cook or not.

The question you should be asking is will this class teach me to cook or not.

Thanks for the posts, got some time off this week going to give the web development bootcamp a go.

FromAtoX

Finally finishing up The Web Developer Bootcamp which I bought last year. I have to say you get a lot from this course. I compare this to the advance Java design class I took last semester in college and I feel I learned more useful stuff in the Udemy course. For $15 it really makes you think twice about the whole you got to go to college to learn a skill. I think this kind of web courses and coding boot camps are the way of the future.

garath

Thanks OP. I've always eyed these but never jumped in. I'm a C++ developer from years back, now I'm Business Intelligence. I'm experimenting with some web based data visualization tools and decided to take a chance on the web developer bootcamp. We'll see how it goes.

And I grabbed the big data course for the heck of it. I've gotten some training at work but for $10, why not.

bman94

I give up. I've been trying since yesterday to pay for this courses but it just refuses to go through payment. Everytime I try to pay it says "We couldn't complete this purchase. Please try again."

Really fucking frustrating, My total is $200 and nothing works. I've tried 3 different cards, tried paypal and it still doesn't fucking work. Ugh I need the courses very badly.

Edit: I finally am able to purchase the courses. Had to make a whole brand new account and it finally worked.

Finally finishing up The Web Developer Bootcamp which I bought last year. I have to say you get a lot from this course. I compare this to the advance Java design class I took last semester in college and I feel I learned more useful stuff in the Udemy course. For $15 it really makes you think twice about the whole you got to go to college to learn a skill. I think this kind of web courses and coding boot camps are the way of the future.

Definitely.

I know someone with just a BS in statistics but wanted more experience in R and Python to get into data science. She took a Python and R bootcamp for data science and now has a sweet gig.

If tuition keeps skyrocketing to a point in the future where the middle-class are priced out of higher education (seems it is heading that way), then online courses will be the future or at least play a large part.

Kelsdesu

If you're going to do this like any project or hobby, give the old college try, eh?

Remember, in school we spent ridiculous amounts of hours each semester in lecture, discussion and for homework/tests.

Apply the same type of motivation after work and on the weekends and you'll reap the rewards.

Cheers.

This is real talk.

MrOogieBoogie

There's a Web Developer 2.0 course. Any major difference?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!

Cheers.

Not everyone is a trust fund baby or wants to be in debt their whole life. College is the obvious option that everyone knows about, educational options like Udemy are less known to the general public. Hey, regular people no longer have to be shackled by debt to learn, omg! Can't has that!

Edit: Totally misread your post, upon further inspection i agree whole-heatedly.

Kelsdesu

Not everyone is a trust fund baby or wants to be in debt their whole life. College is the obvious option that everyone knows about, educational options like Udemy are less known to the general public. Hey, regular people no longer have to be shackled by debt to learn, omg! Can't has that!

Respectfully,
I think you mis-understood him.

Laieon

There's a Web Developer 2.0 course. Any major difference?

I haven't tried bootcamp, but I'm currently working my way through this course and have no complaints. Bootcamp definitely looks more in depth though.

He's not saying go to college, he's saying treat Udemy courses with the same motivation you would a college course. If you devote 30 minutes to a udemy course every week, you're probably not going to get pretty far. If you treat it the same way you would a college course by participating in discussions if available, completing homework, etc..., then it's worth doing.

MrOogieBoogie

So, assuming someone with some very basic, fundamental knowledge of programming: What's a good collection of courses to grab and study (and in what order), for a nice, rounded education on lots of concepts (to then further study down the line)?

In my cart I currently have:

The Complete SQL Bootcamp
The Web Developer Bootcamp
Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python

Anything I should sub out? Swap? Add? Remove?

Bladenic

Anyone take a Spanish or German course they recommend? I'm going for the Spanish one where the speaker speaks exclusively in Spanish with English (or other language) subtitles. I feel like hearing the language constantly would work better but I don't know.

Wish they had Romanian, it's my native language but I've lost a lot of it (especially writing).

oxrock

So, assuming someone with some very basic, fundamental knowledge of programming: What's a good collection of courses to grab and study (and in what order), for a nice, rounded education on lots of concepts (to then further study down the line)?

Seems you're very web dev/python oriented there, is that what you're aiming for or just what you happened to land on?

Exuro

Well depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in databases then the sql class is a good fit(I'm actually going to snag this as I've been playing around with PostgreSQL for a project so thanks for that). Data analysis and python go together like peanut butter and jelly. What exactly do you want to learn to program?

MrOogieBoogie

Seems you're very web dev/python oriented there, is that what you're aiming for or just what you happened to land on?

Just what I happened to land on based on the responses in this thread.

I know Python is a very widely-used language, so I want to learn it for that reason. The Web Development Bootcamp seems interesting enough and it's got stellar reviews.

Besides those two, I'm kind of flipping between JavaScript, SQL, Ruby on Rails, and R. I don't have any real motives or goals besides broadening my education about programming so that I may THEN understand how to narrow my direction.

I'm decently familiar with C after having immersed myself for weeks on end in CS50x. I didn't finish the class (having stopped right around pointers), but the amount of hours and time I put in made me learn the concepts and syntax pretty freaking quickly. I've actually restarted the course right now and I'm brushing up on my knowledge, but would love to approach other topics, so this thread is quite opportune.

Bloomers

So glad I saw this thread.

Just splurged on Entrepreneurship, Data Science, and Web Dev courses. Hoping to leverage some of these to land a web/app dev job by mid year. *crosses fingers*

Exuro

I know Python is a very widely-used language, so I want to learn it for that reason. The Web Development Bootcamp seems interesting enough and it's got stellar reviews.

Besides those two, I'm kind of flipping between JavaScript, SQL, Ruby on Rails, and R. I don't have any real motives or goals besides broadening my education about programming so that I may THEN understand how to narrow my direction.

I'm decently familiar with C after having immersed myself for weeks on end in CS50x. I didn't finish the class (having stopped right around pointers), but the amount of hours and time I put in made me learn the concepts and syntax pretty freaking quickly. I've actually restarted the course right now and I'm brushing up on my knowledge, but would love to approach other topics, so this thread is quite opportune.
Is there any reason you don't want to try C++ or java? C# is another popular language(and is used in Unity if you ever care to try some game dev.) If you want more general purpose languages I'd look into those. SQL, for example, is for managing databases. It's a pretty narrow scope.

oxrock

What you have isn't necessarily bad, but let's start by adding onto it and then you can carve away at things that might be too polarizing. Python and machine learning go great together, you could pick up something like "Machine Learning A-Z™: Hands-On Python & R In Data Science". Then picking up a combo programming/game engine course might be fun, just for the experience, maybe "Learn to Code by Making Games - Complete C# Unity Developer". This will help to broaden your experience a bit to help you learn what it is you enjoy doing. You could easily substitute that unity course for the one I plan on taking btw "The Unreal Engine Developer Course - Learn C++ & Make...".

MrOogieBoogie

Is there any reason you don't want to try C++ or java? C# is another popular language(and is used in Unity if you ever care to try some game dev.) If you want more general purpose languages I'd look into those. SQL, for example, is for managing databases. It's a pretty narrow scope.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. No real reason to avoid C++ or Java. I was just going by what the majority on this thread seemed to be recommending. :p

What you have isn't necessarily bad, but let's start by adding onto it and then you can carve away at things that might be too polarizing. Python and machine learning go great together, you could pick up something like "Machine Learning A-Z™: Hands-On Python & R In Data Science". Then picking up a combo programming/game engine course might be fun, just for the experience, maybe "Learn to Code by Making Games - Complete C# Unity Developer". This will help to broaden your experience a bit to help you learn what it is you enjoy doing. You could easily substitute that unity course for the one I plan on taking btw "The Unreal Engine Developer Course - Learn C++ & Make...".

Great, thank you as well!

Exuro

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. No real reason to avoid C++ or Java. I was just going by what the majority on this thread seemed to be recommending. :p

Great, thank you as well!
I would definitely recommend some of the game related ones that oxrock, mostly because making something like a game is more entertaining to do and will keep you motivated to work/learn. Python if you're interested in doing data science/machine learning type stuff(Can be/is really interesting making connections between seemingly unrelated things using big data). If you have anything in particular you want to learn how to do beyond just learning general programming ideas there's a lot of us here that can direct you better. I would definitely look into one of the 3 I mentioned, though the Unity bootcamp uses C# and Unreal covers C++ so those should hopefully be good introductions into the languages(C++ will generally be harder to learn due to manual memory management). For Java there's this course which looks really feature filled. https://www.udemy.com/java-the-complete-java-developer-course/ So I'd look into those and pick at least one of them along with python or whatever interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom