• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Also is it just me or does Summon Fae Gorta absolutely suck?

Yep, I maxed him out and the amount of health he can generate you is negligible, especially when you consider how infrequently he actually chooses a target to attack. What sealed the deal for me was when he went rogue and started attacking me every time I summoned him.

1stStrike

Banned
I've been getting more and more used to playing finesse/might. I opted not to use any of the might weapons since I am personally not a fan of any of them. The finesse weapons all have more moves and are just overall more useful in combat, IMO.

It's definitely more of a challenge then sorcery, though. Some of the battles against the larger mobs can be a bit annoying as a result. So, I broke down and decided to craft some armor. It's not amazing armor, but it's still better than what I had. If you want to break the game, put in the gem that has a 60% chance to stun any enemy that attacks you.

tt0Ey.jpg

It constantly triggers and that, combined with gambit, is pretty much easy mode.

Sheikh

Banned
This is a super duper tuper funfare

man what a game? and i cant believe that this game got less than 9 from some reviewers

It is a super fun rpg

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't gotten a chance to post in the thread. Great game, hope it gets a sequel.

Now for a question: Does anyone know where I can buy a Sylvanite helmet? Does it even exist?

Sheikh

Banned
Haven't gotten a chance to post in the thread. Great game, hope it gets a sequel.

Now for a question: Does anyone know where I can buy a Sylvanite helmet? Does it even exist?

i dont think a sylvanite helmet exists in KOM ? However , the senior GAF members can correct me if i am wrong.

back to playing.........

Quick question guys, are the items sold to any of the stores stay there forever? Will I loose access to any of the stores later in the game? I'm asking, because I was thinking about using one of the stores as a stash, to keep some of the stuff there and buy it back if we get a bigger stash :D

Jrmint

Yep, I maxed him out and the amount of health he can generate you is negligible, especially when you consider how infrequently he actually chooses a target to attack. What sealed the deal for me was when he went rogue and started attacking me every time I summoned him.

Haha that's hilarious.

But yea most of the time he just stands around doing god knows what.

Rad Agast

Quick question guys, are the items sold to any of the stores stay there forever? Will I loose access to any of the stores later in the game? I'm asking, because I was thinking about using one of the stores as a stash, to keep some of the stuff there and buy it back if we get a bigger stash :D

Not sure but I think the older stuff is deleted from the list of sold items at stores after some sort of limit (don't know if it's time based or just simply the number of items sold to a specific store).

For those deciding whether to pursue the Rathir or Adessa mainquest first, I'd strongly recommend going with the latter.

I just finished Rathir, which led perfectly right into Mel Senshir, and now I'm in the thick of it. I'm really into the story now, but in order to go on, I have to go back and finish up that F.H. quest out in the desert. It's a cool area with lots of interesting stuff going on, but it feels completely out of tone with what I was just doing in Mel Senshir. All that momentum the main story had going just got derailed big time. :\

Arcteryx

I don't have a definitive answer, but I've been doing this for a while now and don't seem to be having any issues. I've sold stuff at multiple stores, and whenever I go back its still in the re-buy screen (note: it's not shared cross store, so you will need to go back to whatever store you sold it at).

It's possible it might remove them after awhile, but like I said, stuff from day 1 is still there (~ 36 hrs into the game now).

1stStrike

Banned
If you sell stuff to the store, just be careful, as some of them ramp up the prices. I sold a gem to a store for like 4,000 gold and they wanted to sell it back to me for 136,000 gold :eek:

I've recently encountered my first bug. I was doing a traveler faction quest, I think, where I had to patrol a road with 4 others guys and find clues about a creature. Just before that, I've committed a crime in a nearly town and escaped the guards without paying any fee. They pursued me for a long time, but eventually gave up.

Anyway, as soon as I went near the 4 guys related to my quest, one of them kept attacking me like I was his worst enemy. I had to go kill him, far away for the 3 other guys, or else they would all want me dead. So I kill the guy, then proceed to start the patrol with the rest. I stop here and there to pick up clues, when suddenly this fucker I've killed was right beside me trying to once again pierce my skin. I kill him again, then proceed a little further in the quest. Stuff happens eventually during this quest (those who did it know what I am talking about) up to the point where I am alone with another guy and there's this fucking monster running across us like it was a racing car or something and then nothing happens. The quest seems to be broken and I restart my console. The guy I had to kill every 40 seconds or so was apparently supposed to be killed by that monster. So I assume the monster ran like hell up to the not yet reanimated corpse of the angry dude and then vanished due to unexpected result.

I think the dude that kept trying to kill me was a guard of the town I've previously committed a crime in and it completely bugged the shit out of the quest.

eXistor

Finished it today. I have to say I'm very disappointed with it. For me this game is a clear cut case of "too much". Every location is the same, there's no interaction with the environments at all, they merely serve as backdrops to walk by. The maps are absolutely littered with meaningless treasure chests and "hidden" treasure as well. You never get a feeling for what you're doing, you're just mindlessly going through the motions with everything you do. The story bored me to tears to the point I just skipped all the dialogue. The quests are of the mmo variant, meaning utter bullshit.

Also the game is just not challenging at all. I only did sidequests in the beginning (I stoppped after a few hours after it became apparent they would not get any better) and I played on hard from the start. I paid little to no attention to the myriad of chests that you stumble across and I hardly upgraded my armor and weapons and I still breezed through the game without problems.

The dungeon designs just plain suck, it's just a string of hallways and the whole game feels very derivative, it has no identity of its own.

I don't want to shit on it too much though, because for all it fundemental flaws, it does have a cool battle system and I think the artstyle (while completely ripping off WoW) is very aesthetically pleasing and for the first 8 hours or so I was aving fun, but after that it just become blatantly obvious the game simply doesn't have enough to it to keep it interesting and I couldn't wait for it to be done.

I was ready to love this game, but it was not meant to be. That's not to say I can't see people liking this though, but it's just not what I want to see in rpg's, we have enough of this in mmo's.

I was ready to love this game, but it was not meant to be. That's not to say I can't see people liking this though, but it's just not what I want to see in rpg's, we have enough of this in mmo's.

I wish I could disagree with you, but that summed up how I felt when I finished. Halfway thru I completely stopped doing side and faction quests and stopped bothering to loot chests. The difficulty fell completely apart right around the time I hit Mel Senshir. I love how the game looks and I enjoyed the combat for the most part, but even that got stale because once the difficulty disappeared, so did the need for me to vary my attacks or come up with new approaches to packs of enemies. I sincerely hope they listen to the criticism from those of us that honestly wanted the game to be great, but were saddened by how it eventually ended.

Loxley

14 hours in and I finally respec'd for the first time. I didn't actually change a whole lot, I'm still a Might/Sorcery Battlemage, but I just got to the point in the story where you
help that chick get the golden spear
and got a really nice pair of Chakrams.

Up to this point I'd been using Longswords as my primary weapon, but after getting those sweet Chaks' (as I've decided to call them) I swaped out the points I'd put into Longswords and re-spent them on bettering my Chakram damage and skills. Holy balls these things kick ass. I'm playing on Hard, and in group fights that would have forced me to chug a few health potions when I was using a Longsword, I now come out of with barely a scratch on me.

Also, that self-heal ability in Sorcery is quickly becoming my favorite spell :)

gehrig38

In game update on my PC playthrough.
Full on Sorcery build, Staff and Chakram wielding tough guy.
Level 15, and enjoying the hell out of this. Amazing to see content I haven't seen in a long time, woven into the story now.
Off to meet the little bugger...

SEMI SPOILER!! (unsure how to use that spoiler thing you guys do here!

Seems I'm now about to meet up with my old friend Formorous Hughes in the Saltwell mines.
I've procured and upgraded a 2nd home, as well as acquired and upgraded my own mining business, now a virtual entrepreneur it seems!

gehrig38

Finished it today. I have to say I'm very disappointed with it. For me this game is a clear cut case of "too much". Every location is the same, there's no interaction with the environments at all, they merely serve as backdrops to walk by. The maps are absolutely littered with meaningless treasure chests and "hidden" treasure as well. You never get a feeling for what you're doing, you're just mindlessly going through the motions with everything you do. The story bored me to tears to the point I just skipped all the dialogue. The quests are of the mmo variant, meaning utter bullshit.

Also the game is just not challenging at all. I only did sidequests in the beginning (I stoppped after a few hours after it became apparent they would not get any better) and I played on hard from the start. I paid little to no attention to the myriad of chests that you stumble across and I hardly upgraded my armor and weapons and I still breezed through the game without problems.

The dungeon designs just plain suck, it's just a string of hallways and the whole game feels very derivative, it has no identity of its own.

I don't want to shit on it too much though, because for all it fundemental flaws, it does have a cool battle system and I think the artstyle (while completely ripping off WoW) is very aesthetically pleasing and for the first 8 hours or so I was aving fun, but after that it just become blatantly obvious the game simply doesn't have enough to it to keep it interesting and I couldn't wait for it to be done.

Sorry to hear that.

I wish I could disagree with you, but that summed up how I felt when I finished. Halfway thru I completely stopped doing side and faction quests and stopped bothering to loot chests. The difficulty fell completely apart right around the time I hit Mel Senshir. I love how the game looks and I enjoyed the combat for the most part, but even that got stale because once the difficulty disappeared, so did the need for me to vary my attacks or come up with new approaches to packs of enemies. I sincerely hope they listen to the criticism from those of us that honestly wanted the game to be great, but were saddened by how it eventually ended.

For you two guys, and anyone else feeling this way, do you see a nightmare mode and/or an increase in hard mode difficulty as making this game more fun? Seems like challenging or not you both likely wouldn't have enjoyed the game.

Either way, thanks, thanks for taking a chance on an unproven company and IP.

burgerdog

In game update on my PC playthrough.
Full on Sorcery build, Staff and Chakram wielding tough guy.
Level 15, and enjoying the hell out of this. Amazing to see content I haven't seen in a long time, woven into the story now.
Off to meet the little bugger...

SEMI SPOILER!! (unsure how to use that spoiler thing you guys do here!

Seems I'm now about to meet up with my old friend Formorous Hughes in the Saltwell mines.
I've procured and upgraded a 2nd home, as well as acquired and upgraded my own mining business, now a virtual entrepreneur it seems!

I only have a home in the spider village, where did you get your second home?

DanielJr82

Finally got the full Warsworn armor, complete with the badass
Mystic Hammer.
I look pretty beastly, wish I could take a pic.

For those that haven't gotten the remaining pieces, I found the gloves behind a hidden wall in Shieldering Keep. I had to respec to get it. You need the Detect Hidden skill pretty high to see it. The boots are a Helmsguard Keep in a locked chest. You need to pick the lock and steal it, I don't know if that's an inevitable reward from a board quest or something but I didn't feel like going through more missions to get it. If the stolen symbol bothers you, you can pawn the item at a Traveler's camp (I used Star Camp) and buy it right back, this will clear the little red hand symbol used for stolen items. You'll even get an achievement for bartering stolen items. :p

The helm, chest piece, and waist piece are all part of the Warsworn story quests. The hammer is also part of the quests.

Hawk269

Sorry to hear that.

For you two guys, and anyone else feeling this way, do you see a nightmare mode and/or an increase in hard mode difficulty as making this game more fun? Seems like challenging or not you both likely wouldn't have enjoyed the game.

I cannot speak for the two gentlemen that you asked this question of, but for me the anwer is an astounding YES. I actually stopped playing the game last week, so has my son and daughter (we have both 360 and PC version). We are all at different parts of the game, using different classes, but all three of us are mowing through enemies without a hint of difficulty.

My son was the first to stop playing, then I did and then my daughter. We basically have "shevled" the game for now in hopes of a higher difficulty/balance patch to come out for the game. We loved what we played, but I personally feel I am being punished for doing side quests and exploring because that is what is making the game easier. The more you explore/do side quests, the more exp you gain and end up out leveling the enemies and the game no longer becomes challenging. (This is without abusing the Blacksmitthing and Potions as well).

We have invested about 20 hours or so each in the game, 2 copies at $60.00 a piece, plus we pre-ordered the guide because, well we love guides, the full pack of DLC for both the PC and 360...so to have to shelve a game because a severe oversight during development is hard for me to swallow...especially dishing out $160.00 (2 games+guide+2xDLC of both PC & 360).

We are not trading in just yet, because we are hoping for said patches, plus the DLC. But I can tell you upfront, you aint getting another penny out of my family if DLC is released but no patch is because what is the point of adding more content if the existing content is no challenge?

The easiness comes as you progress, so by the time you get some decent equipment and 4th tier skills it's pretty hard to die. Don't even mention the 5th tier; by then pretty much everyone is a walking god. I haven't really felt like I was using my skills intelligently because everything dies so fast. It's just a matter of going through the motions. I purposefully started using worse equipment just to give myself a challenge, which is a real shame for all the loving design that went into the things I'm ignoring.

A higher difficulty level could be as simple as double health + double damage. Regional scaling should be factored in as well. Say, new regions are set at 5 levels above you from the first time you enter and stay at least 3 ahead (just throwing around numbers).

It's a fun game despite it's lack of challenge. I just wish it'd continue to be as hard as balls like the
Maid
fight near the beginning even with crazy loot/abilities.

Hawk269

The easiness comes as you progress, so by the time you get some decent equipment and 4th tier skills it's pretty hard to die. Don't even mention the 5th tier; by then pretty much everyone is a walking god. I haven't really felt like I was using my skills intelligently because everything dies so fast. It's just a matter of going through the motions. I purposefully started using worse equipment just to give myself a challenge, which is a real shame for all the loving design that went into the things I'm ignoring.

A higher difficulty level could be as simple as double health + double damage. Regional scaling should be factored in as well. Say, new regions are set at 5 levels above you from the first time you enter and stay at least 3 ahead (just throwing around numbers).

It's a fun game despite it's lack of challenge. I just wish it'd continue to be as hard as balls like the
Maid
fight near the beginning even with crazy loot/abilities.

Well said. It just seems that they took their amazing Q&A team and told them to strictly focus on bugs and nothing else. Had they told a few of them to look at balance issues, I am sure this would of been seen ahead of time. But still, that really brings into question if you have a QA team stomping bugs, wouldn't someone of noticed how easy the game becomes?

Curt himself has said that some testers did get 200hours because they had to look and do everthing imaginable in the game, I am sure that one of these guys/girls noticed that as they got 20-30hours into the game that it became a cake walk?

It's just seems odd that we as the consumers are binging this to the attention of the developers. I really hope that for the MMO they hired someone to look into game balance because if this is repeated with the MMO, it aint going to be pretty.

Ugh.

I was JUST starting to get sucked in Skyrim (FINALLY, after like 10 hours), before I decided to give this a try for the sake of variety.

Now I think the chances of me going back to Skyrim are shrinking by the hour. The lush, colorful world and fucking great combat are so much more interesting to me than Skyrim's -backup-wacky-wacky combat and dreary expanses.

We shall see.

Sorry to hear that.

Nope. Not interested in Nightmare mode. What caused my issues could easily be remedied in Hard difficulty. What it comes down to is balancing the crafting system. I shouldn't be allowed to fill my gear full of +health gems, which in combination with the +health stats that come from my spec and my gear essentially negates all, and I mean ALL, incoming damage. There needs to be a cap set on +health as well as other stats. That was the reason the game changed for me halfway thru. For the first half of the game, I was in love. I was enthralled with the world, the lore, and the combat. It's just that when the combat became a non-story due to me not being able to take damage, I found myself just wanting to get to the end.

I hope that type of feedback helps. I'll gladly provide more if you want/need it. You've earned me as a customer, and I'll be there when you release another game.

LiK

I have the same hammer I like the smoldering effect the hammer emits

what's the wpn dmg? i think i have the most powerful hammer from a faction quest.

i got the full set of Dark Empyrean armor and it looks badass. Stats are okay but it looks cool.

scy

Nope. Not interested in Nightmare mode. What caused my issues could easily be remedied in Hard difficulty. What it comes down to is balancing the crafting system. I shouldn't be allowed to fill my gear full of +health gems, which in combination with the +health stats that come from my spec and my gear essentially negates all, and I mean ALL, incoming damage. There needs to be a cap set on +health as well as other stats. That was the reason the game changed for me halfway thru. For the first half of the game, I was in love. I was enthralled with the world, the lore, and the combat. It's just that when the combat became a non-story due to me not being able to take damage, I found myself just wanting to get to the end.

I hope that type of feedback helps. I'll gladly provide more if you want/need it. You've earned me as a customer, and I'll be there when you release another game.

If it calls for a new difficulty mode to get those changes, would that change your view on it? I mean, I'd like for Hard to be Hard and all that but I'd hate to infringe on people who are on Hard already and are legitimately satisfied with it. I'll take a new mode with all the changes if that's the easiest way to get all the proposed changes.

If it calls for a new difficulty mode to get those changes, would that change your view on it? I mean, I'd like for Hard to be Hard and all that but I'd hate to infringe on people who are on Hard already and are legitimately satisfied with it. I'll take a new mode with all the changes if that's the easiest way to get all the proposed changes.

Yeah, I'd take a new mode if it did that, but I'm just saying the problem with Hard isnt that it isn't hard. It's that the game is fundamentally flawed in how it handles +health. The enemies I was getting to at the 2nd half of the game weren't pushovers when it came to the damage they put out or the damage required to beat them, but they were pushovers because I could simply wade into a bunch of orange-level enemies and take their abuse without fearing death. If +health was merely adjusted, I could never have done that, and Hard would have legitimately still been Hard.

What I fear they're going to do is add a nightmare mode in which +health is negated *AND* enemy damage is increased. I do NOT want that. I want the current level of difficulty seen in Hard mode, but with +health fixed.

Aselith

Yeah, I'd take a new mode if it did that, but I'm just saying the problem with Hard isnt that it isn't hard. It's that the game is fundamentally flawed in how it handles +health. The enemies I was getting to at the 2nd half of the game weren't pushovers when it came to the damage they put out or the damage required to beat them, but they were pushovers because I could simply wade into a bunch of orange-level enemies and take their abuse without fearing death. If +health was merely adjusted, I could never have done that, and Hard would have legitimately still been Hard.

What I fear they're going to do is add a nightmare mode in which +health is negated *AND* enemy damage is increased. I do NOT want that. I want the current level of difficulty seen in Hard mode, but with +health fixed.
How much +health on you armor?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Reporting a case of broken quest line so you guys can prevent it from being broken.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT allow the side-quest NEW IN TOWN and the main quest line FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES to be active at the same time since this will break the former. I've experienced it last night.

I reverted to a save file one hour earlier and I completed FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES first before finishing NEW IN TOWN. Narrative contradictions aside (you'll understand when you have finished those two), the two quests managed to be completed properly.

My first broken quest after 60 hours of play though, and in an open world RPG like this, that's quite an accomplishment.

...Also, and by golly, am I the only one that think the difficulty is fine as it is? The only thing that I can say is that not all the skills are created equal (lockpicking is virtually useless and detect hidden is pretty much a must so less flexibility here.) Of course you can be a walking god after investing in powerful abilities and equipments--that's the whole point in the first place.

scy

Which is why I keep making the point that the mechanics design of the encounters are more-or-less fine; their HP and damage output doesn't really need much effort. It's basically player power vs enemy power scaling that isn't so great. Some re-balancing there is what should be the focus point rather than adjusting enemies themselves entirely (though, I'd like some alterations to them; harder/impossible to flinch and better diversity in attacks and such).

Reporting a case of broken quest line so you guys can prevent it from being broken.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT allow the side-quest NEW IN TOWN and the main quest line FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES to be active at the same time since this will break the former. I've experienced it last night.

I reverted to a save file one hour earlier and I completed FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES first before finishing NEW IN TOWN. Narrative contradictions aside (you'll understand when you have finished those two), the two quests managed to be completed properly.

My first broken quest after 60 hours of play though, and in an open world RPG like this, that's quite an accomplishment.

You can finish both that way. I did it. You just have to finish the Main Quest one and then return to the NPC later for the final turn-in of the other one.

Edit: Unless ...
there's a way to off that NPC, I guess?

...Also, and by golly, am I the only one that think the difficulty is fine as it is? The only thing that I can say is that not all the skills are created equal (lockpicking is virtually useless and detect hidden is pretty much a must so less flexibility here.) Of course you can be a walking god after investing in powerful abilities and equipments--that's the whole point in the first place.

I don't like being a god :x I like to struggle. I'm semi-fine with the difficulty with all my self-imposed restrictions but I'd like it if I didn't have to. That and some things really should be tweaked. You should become godly due to playing well, not because some mechanics are broken compared to others (aforementioned stacked HP Regen or maxed out Mitigation).

The main changes I'd really like is itemization changes; I'd love for the Uniques and Sets to be just better choices so you're actually wanting to use them for their stats rather than just their design or because you decided to not do crafting.

gehrig38

That's the crux, IMO only, tweaking hard mode would hose the LARGE portion of people already playing it, who may like it as is.
I think, again imo, that the potential fix would be to ADD a level of difficulty.
The ONLY tweaks I could imagine being even considered for a hard mode change would be timers on heal potions, something small in stature, but huge game play implications.

LiK

That's the crux, IMO only, tweaking hard mode would hose the LARGE portion of people already playing it, who may like it as is.
I think, again imo, that the potential fix would be to ADD a level of difficulty.
The ONLY tweaks I could imagine being even considered for a hard mode change would be timers on heal potions, something small in stature, but huge game play implications.

not possible for extra Hard mode to have enemies who have more buffs?

If they use the healing potion from within the item menu (or radial menu), there is already a cool-down. The d-pad shortcut doesn't have one.. so if anything, that particular complaint seems like a bug.. I'd think using the same item would have the same result regardless of how you used it.

1stStrike

Banned

I'd be happy with a nightmare mode that made the game similar in difficulty to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. In those games, no matter how decked out in gear you get, enemies are still difficult even at the end of the game. One slip up and you're down most of your HP or dead.

I really want this game to be a challenge all the way through. As others have mentioned, by the time you get half way through the game it's no longer a challenge. This means you have no driving force to find new loot, craft new armor/weapons, and so on. The story isn't great, so that's not enough to get most people through the game.

I just got to Alabastra and I plan on completing the game, but it's so easy that I can mindlessly click my way through every fight at this point. It shouldn't be that way in a game like this.

scy

Honestly? I don't necessarily mind the cooldown. To me, if you're using them like that, the game is doing something "right" to cause you to be needing them; it's hard to take "game is cakewalk!" in conjunction with "I potioned every 2 seconds."

That's not the game being easy, that's the game having too great of a crutch. Maybe I'm just weird for seeing those as two linked but different things.

not possible for extra Hard mode to have enemies who have more buffs?

Think he means more that the potion cooldown is the only tweak he'd see as being added to Hard mode, not that it's the only one that could be added.

I really would like Relentless Assault on more enemies, though. I think it'd be fair what with all the "MIGHT IS OP" commentary :x

It must be a bug or something because I have no problems with my maxed Faer Gorta. I summon him before we go into combat and 90% of the time he attacks the strongest threat first and siphons me ridiculous amounts of health.

For you two guys, and anyone else feeling this way, do you see a nightmare mode and/or an increase in hard mode difficulty as making this game more fun? Seems like challenging or not you both likely wouldn't have enjoyed the game..

I'm playing on hard and have completed 97 quests (I intend to complete them all). I'm finding the boss fights are only hard if you lack the ability to fateshift, but overall Hard mode does feel more of a better baseline for normal. Perhaps a wider variety of enemies and more extreme ways to mix them up would better help with the difficulty in lieu of just adding another difficulty level.

Aselith

Not related although I think it would improve the already good combat but any chance of making switch target remappable to a push on the left stick? It would be much easier rather than taking hand from attack buttons to switch mid fight since you already hace a finger on the movement stick.

LiK

Think he means more that the potion cooldown is the only tweak he'd see as being added to Hard mode, not that it's the only one that could be added.

oh ok. if people are complaining about potions then play the game without any or don't use them. handicap themselves.

I never used a healing potion in the 2nd half of the game on hard mode. If you set a max on +health, I don't think anyone would care/notice. Basically the only people that would be pissed are gamers that don't want to ever lose health. I know testing is hard to do, but I'm curious to know if the dev team noticed what we're seeing.

Top Bottom