• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Is there seriously nobody else playing this!? It looks fun as hell for a Free PS+ game, I'm downloading it right now

I was playing it. I was 60+ hours in until a specific storyline quest glitch reared its ugly head in my game. Reverting to an earlier save file with 5 hours less playing time didn't help. I got to the point where I was on my latest save, did what people suggested to avoid the bug, but it didn't work. I loathe to play the game again after that crap. It's a shame because I enjoyed amalur a bunch.

I was playing it. I was 60+ hours in until a specific storyline quest glitch reared its ugly head in my game. Reverting to an earlier save file with 5 hours less playing time didn't help. I got to the point where I was on my latest save, did what people suggested to avoid the bug, but it didn't work. I loathe to play the game again after that crap. It's a shame because I enjoyed amalur a bunch.

This is such a bummer. Can you fill me in on the bug you are talking about?

It just really surprises me that a video game website this large, with hundreds of PS+ members, can completely disregard a game with a thread of this caliber. I would love to turn to this thread for advice in my playthrough

The bug I encountered was from the quest called Silence Falls. It takes place in Klurikon and you have to destroy three chantries. Problem is, the crystals you have to destroy and the enemies that surround them exist before you even get the quest. If you're an exploration happy guy like myself, you just might discover and destroy the crystals surrounding one of the chantries before you get the quest without knowing any better.

Bad idea because after I destroyed the other two and went to the last one which is the one where I destroyed the crystals before getting the quest, it didn't count and now I'm stuck with 2/3 chantries destroyed.

My advice? When you get to Klurikon, and you see blackish red mini obelisks with a pulsating crystal at the stop, STEER CLEAR OF THEM until you get Silence Falls. Then you're free to destroy them without problems...theoretically. Also, have multiple save files in Klurikon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just started this from PS+.

So far it's... decent, I guess? It reminds me of Dragon's Dogma somewhat. Fast-paced action combat that seems pretty fun (but desperately needs strafing, gah! at least it's not as clunky as in Witcher games), but not as cool as DD's. The skill trees and customization options seem pretty cool so far. The world is uber-generic, though, good gods. Paint-by-number fantasy lore (small wonder it was created by R.A. Salvatore xD), boring NPCs that talk too much, and the art style is kinda meh, too colourful and cartoony to be taken seriously but not colourful and cartoony enough to be cute or funny, kind of like the worst of both worlds.

Still, I'll give it a chance, could be fun. I'm still very early into the game, but the Gamespot review seems to summarize my impressions pretty much to a T.

I did squeak in surprised glee when I heard my favourite voice actor, Simon Templeman, speak to me through a Lorestone though. I have zero recollection of what he said (it was generic fantasy lore stuff about the world that I didn't care about, like every other Lorestone xD), but I hope to hear him again, just because. <3

Also... so far every armour I've worn has boob plate :( bah. And my character's butt kinda jiggles when I run. -_-

Also, the game is so easy so far it's funny. In Demon's Souls games you're thrown against a hard boss that kills you right away, and even if you survive, you still die, because the game throws everything it can to kill you. Dark Souls starts off a bit easier in its tutorial (the tutorial boss is easy enough), but it still throws you out there and you have to figure it all out on your own and if you take the wrong path you're dead. In Amalur there's an NPC in the beginning that pretty much holds your hand for a good while, and even after the world opens up, the game remains rather friendly, with zero challenge so far (I think your health even slowly regenerates over time...? -_-)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I purchased this game at launch, took pride in supporting a new IP.

But
1. Had lots of issues with EA origin platform (back then)
2. I never played past the first village/town (first 30 minutes)
3. Studio got closed down

shaowebb

Game made me come back to the genre because its combat, depth of content and depth of creatable stuff was huge. Game was really good even if at higher levels it needed some regeneration nerfs and higher difficulty. Some great memories of playing and messaging QisTopTier on steam while running around.

Feel bad for Curt Schilling...seems like he left his dream in the hands of people who had no business running it and that he accepted funding from folks he couldn't really rely on. They chased away his investors and then crucified him while the folks over his studio messed up pretty bad on some things as well. However, he did fail on a lot of stuff too. He didn't create the agreed upon amount of jobs, and he did accept a loan knowing he needed more than it to finish what he proposed. There are a lot of bad things on both sides here so neither party did well. 38 studios though was a good idea, but it just terribly exaggerated the amount of jobs it could create and how little Amalur would cost them to make leading them into some serious bankruptcy.

Its a shame because I really believed in their studio's open door policy and goals. It needed someone tight to help guide it though. Hope the IP goes somewhere and comes back.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From the PS+ thread, figured it'd fit better here:

Right? I'm actually enjoying it like, more than I thought I would.
Me too, haha. It's easy and the world is kinda bland, yet I keep coming back for more. Combat and looting is just addictive I guess. Plus I get to hear tons of Templeman. <3

Yeah it is. I love love love that you can easily reset all your points and try different builds out. They're all surprisingly fun, though I'm partial to finesse/daggers.

I'm finesse all the way. Bows and daggers, sometimes faeblades. But OHKOing tons of enemies by sneaking with daggers is chortle-worthy, and the high-level bow abilities are almost OP. Plus the smoke bomb ability is so nice to have to pickpocket folks. I'll keep the rogue playstyle for now, but if I max the tree I'll probably go with might next. I do like magic in some aRPGs but I always try it -after- exhausting melee, for some reason.

The game is pretty big. I must have about 40 hours and I haven't even made it to Detyre or Kandrian yet. I'm at the Cradle of Summer at the moment.

If the game were more challenging, dungeon design more intricate and if the lore and setting were a bit less generic and just more interesting, this would be one hell of a game. As it is it's a lot of fun but just shy of being great.

Mindlog

LTTP; I went into this pretty blind, but wanted to thank Neuromancer for the recommendation. I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

Completed the first area and immediately restarted on hard. I vaguely recall hearing that normal was too easy, but had to learn that for myself. I'm not bothering to check out guides or anything. It has been more enjoyable just winging it. Also had to cut back on the sidequest completion. Not min-maxing at all. I'm running with a Longsword/Shield/Chakram Might/Sorcery build. I'm high enough level now to get more out of harder hitting melee weapons or Faeblades, but I'm attached to my combination.

Guessing I'm about half-way through Ded Kel now. Once I finish up there then it's back to the main quest.

Well worth burning some MS Points on. I have so much MS credit >_<

Just started playing this last night. Just over an hour in and I like it so far; the writing seems decent, the game world is lovely and combat is nice, although the UI is a bit clunky. I'm playing on Normal - is it worth dialling that up to Hard? I've read lots of comments that it gets repetitive and drags on far too long, so I'm really intending to only play the main story and not do a huge amount of side missions. Feels like a Fable game designed by Bioware so far, which I'm okay with.

shaowebb

This game well and truly is a lot of fun. You can spend weeks on it and still not get through all the sidequests. It's sad what happened to the studio and this title. It holds a ton of potential, but no one is willing to go near it now.

I miss this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm playing on Normal - is it worth dialling that up to Hard?
Oh yes. I started on Normal, then immediately put it to Hard when I saw I was never in danger. Even on Hard it's trivial for the most part, I can't imagine how brain-dead combat must be on Normal. Do it ASAP.

I've read lots of comments that it gets repetitive and drags on far too long, so I'm really intending to only play the main story and not do a huge amount of side missions.
That is a good idea.

I just started playing the DLC for this. Beat the game back in 2012 and this is the first time I've played it since. Watched my partner do some of the pirate-y DLC, so I'm doing the Greek-rock-people one.

Combat is so easy on hard I'm wearing armour and using weapons that look cool. The last fight I remember being hard was a boss fight in a castle (that you took over) in the area with the crystal shards you had to shatter (that was bugged for a while).

Just returned to this after finishing Mass Effect 3. I really like a lot about this game, it feels so much like a Bioware take on a Fable-style action RPG, and I really like the colourful art and world design. Being able to create your own potions and weapons feels like it brings a bit of depth and I'm mostly enjoying the combat even if it feels a bit easy.

I'm about four hours in so far. Trying to focus on the main plotline, but I can't turn down side missions and exploring for collectibles!

I'm really enjoying this. I love the feel of the game world and the structure, and it feels like there's always loads to do in every area, without being too repetitive. I like the combat even though it's really simple and I love the colour and style of everything.

Although I need to find out how to get a bigger inventory as I'm almost continually maxxed out. Haven't seen a bigger one available from a vendor yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Some vendors do sell backpack upgrades. I forgot where exactly though, but since money is kinda useless otherwise, do spend it on those as soon as you spot one.

Also, stop picking up junk! xD

So I played through the game in its entirety after losing my 60+ hour save due to a game breaking main quest bug. It was as fun as my first time through it. I love the rogue combat class and the combat system despite it being way too easy even on the highest difficulty level. The story while somewhat dull and a lot of dungeons looking the same, Amalur is one of my top 10 games of all time due to the simple reasoning that I enjoyed it so damned much. Sure it has its flaws, and I recognize that they exist. It's the overall highly enjoyable experience and never wanting to stop playing are the primary factors as to why it's in my all time top 10.

I'm done with it for now, but I will definitely be playing through it twice more in the future in order to fully utilize the mage and warrior trees. I thought I was going to switch up to something besides rogue given how I always had near full sets for those two talent trees, but nope. Rogue was too fun, so I will have to, with much enjoyment, play through the whole game again at least twice to play as all three primary class specs.

It is a shame we may never see an Amalur 2. It is, at least in my eyes, a game that definitely deserves a sequel made by the same people who made the first. If I was super rich guy, I would buy the rights to all things Amalur, hire the exact same people who worked on the first one, and fund every stage of it with every penny I could spare. I would not care if it was a financial success or not. I would be doing it for the sole reason of wanting a second Amalur game.

So I played through the game in its entirety after losing my 60+ hour save due to a game breaking main quest bug. It was as fun as my first time through it. I love the rogue combat class and the combat system despite it being way too easy even on the highest difficulty level. The story while somewhat dull and a lot of dungeons looking the same, Amalur is one of my top 10 games of all time due to the simple reasoning that I enjoyed it so damned much. Sure it has its flaws, and I recognize that they exist. It's the overall highly enjoyable experience and never wanting to stop playing are the primary factors as to why it's in my all time top 10.

I don't like it as much as you do, but I definitely agree that I find it a very enjoyable game despite its flaws. I've only really played with a longsword so far and I'm going for a warrior class, as in these games I usually favour taking enemies head-on and overpowering them. The only enemies who've really given me trouble so far are Threshes when I encounter them out in the environment with lots of support, but I'm enjoying the combat and not finding it so easy that it's brainless.

It is a shame we may never see an Amalur 2. It is, at least in my eyes, a game that definitely deserves a sequel made by the same people who made the first. If I was super rich guy, I would buy the rights to all things Amalur, hire the exact same people who worked on the first one, and fund every stage of it with every penny I could spare. I would not care if it was a financial success or not. I would be doing it for the sole reason of wanting a second Amalur game.

Careful now; you're sounding a lot like Curt Schilling, who put an estimated $100 million of his own money into 38 Studios which ended up bankrupting him!

Just returned to this game after a hiatus over the Christmas break. Still really enjoying it, although I've decided to stop trying to complete side missions and explore every corner of the map and just concentrate on the main story for now. There's so much to do and I love following distractions, but I'm already over 7 hours in and I've explored very little of the map and done very few story missions. I've just saved the blonde Fateweaver dude from death at the hands of the giant two-headed orc monster thing, and met a hot spiky-earned Fae lady. Despite its genericness I really like the world of Amalur, and how colourful and fairytale-esque everything is. It's a world I just like running around and seeing what icons on the map are and so on.

EDIT - I've also found a pair of flaming chakras which despite not being as powerful as my main sword are wicked fun and a nice way to spice up melee combat.

I'm really enjoying this, but I do have an issue with the combat. I don't feel like it's very good for crowd control, because you cannot dodge whilst in the middle of an attack and when you're trying to fight three or four enemies it can be so frustrating because your attacks are constantly being interrupted when you take damage. I hate most ranged enemies because of this, and Kobold Rogues in particular are f****** c**** because they constantly throw spears with incredible accuracy. I can take any enemy one-to-one, but groups of enemies can be really frustrating because of this. For instance, I like using the chakras but when you do a combo you cannot move until they return to your grasp which again leads to some frustrations.

Apart from that though, I'm really enjoying the game. About 13 hours in, my intention is to do the House of Ballads and Warsworn storylines and then finish the main quest.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't imagine being frustrated by the combat except for the fact that it's totally brain dead. Maybe your weapon is weak or you haven't build your character right, but there is literally zero challenge even on Hard... but I dunno, I used daggers and bows almost the whole time (occasionally switching to faeblades if I found a really good one).

Rosenskjold

I had such a good time with this game on hard difficulty with a finesse character, but now I'm just stuck on
the Maid of Windemere. I think I have gotten here too early or something because getting hit just ONCE by her purple, almost homing-shots instakills me. The room is full of sprites, a leanashe and a bog thresh, so essentially you constantly have to dodge everything to not get stunlocked. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that I constantly have to dodge being oneshotted :/ So if I get caught being stunlocked by sprites or a thresh I'm dead, if an attack combo takes too long to finish so the dodge won't be perfomed (since you can't cancel attacks :/), I'm dead. If I try to focus on her, it's an impossible attempt to avoid getting stunned by just any monster she spawns. Oh and as far as I can tell, she can heal the monsters or something :/

I guess I'll just have to leave the quest at that and come back later :/ ?

I've recently returned to this game after almost a year away. Still love it. I'm doing a terrible job of just concentrating on the main storyline though - I love exploring the environment, and always get distracted taking on enemies or chasing treasure on the map. Just reached some huge city over to the North-East of the map that has a massive tower with another half-tower attached to it, and although that's a poor way to describe it, it looks cool as heck.

Anyway, I'm about 17 hours in now I think, and am currently running around the map doing side quests and discovering shit. Love this game so much.

ZZMitch

I've recently returned to this game after almost a year away. Still love it. I'm doing a terrible job of just concentrating on the main storyline though - I love exploring the environment, and always get distracted taking on enemies or chasing treasure on the map. Just reached some huge city over to the North-East of the map that has a massive tower with another half-tower attached to it, and although that's a poor way to describe it, it looks cool as heck.

Anyway, I'm about 17 hours in now I think, and am currently running around the map doing side quests and discovering shit. Love this game so much.

I hear you! This is the last game I that I actually spent the time to beat twice. Says something about how much I enjoyed it! A gem.

Yeah, the Maid of Windermere is complete bollocks. Being shut in a room with about 10 enemies, all capable of either dangerous ranged attacks or very fast strikes is just horrible. I've just used my special purple fate attack as well. Might have to go and recharge that then come back.

Well, I beat the Maid of Windermere fairly easily using the Reckoning mode and I've just finished the Traveller's quest line. I've played about 24 hours now and I think I'm going to finish up the Warsworn quests, maybe consider doing the House of Sorrow and House of Valour, and then finish up the main story. I'm really enjoying this, but honestly there are so many story missions that I find it a bit daunting and I've stopped accepting new ones. I've not long arrived in the area which looks like something out of the Wild West, and honestly I found the transition from fairy tale forest to barren sandy canyons a little disconcerting. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this overall, and considering I got this game 'free' via PS+ I would have definitely bought some DLC by now, except that apparently the DLC is incompatible with the digital version of the game. I'm playing 2-3 hours per night and I'll try to have it finished within a week or so. Honestly have no idea what the larger plot is supposed to be, apart from the dark elf dude starting wars with all the other regions? People keep mentioning a war, so I assume that's what they're talking about.

Beat the Warsworn quest line, clocked over 29 hours now. Think I'm going to do the Scholia Arcana and House of Sorrows quest lines next, then crack on with the main story and then finish up. Some of the trophies seem really hard to get (like finding 170 lorestones) so I'm not too bothered about trophy hunting. But I am really enjoying this and I'd like to do most of the major quest lines.

Done about 40 hours now. Most recent quests were
Breaking the siege at Mel Senshir and Finding Formorous Hugues (sp) then getting the Templar who was trying to assassinate him arrested
. Still loving it, but I don't think I can be bothered with the House of Sorrows quests and I'm looking to wrap things up now. If I can manage to finish this before the end of the year it will be the 52nd game I've completed, and that seems a pretty great way to end the year. I've really enjoyed a lot of the quests, and I find the writing and voice acting overall to be really excellent. Still think it's a massive shame that there wasn't a sequel, as it has solid foundations and the potential was there for the next game to be exceptional.

I've almost completed the House of Sorrows quest line now. One more to go, and then I will crack on with the main story and get this finished up ASAP. Done about 45 hours now - not had much time for gaming recently, so I came home early yesterday after a meeting at work and played this for a while.

In the area after liberating Mel Senshir I'm finding a lot of the enemies more challenging. I'm about level 30 with over 1000 health and a longsword with a damage stat of ~170, but if I get into a fight with more than one Jottun I'm not guaranteed to survive and have to go through a few healing items. In the main quest I've just destroyed three Prismere Monuments which had groups of Tuatha praying around them and Gadflow's spirit to speak with.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How are you finding anything a challenge? By the time I finished one major quest or two, I was already a powerhouse destroying everything without ever being in danger. (Using daggers and bow build)

I found some stuff to be challenging - for instance, encountering three or more Jotun was tough as they soak up a lot of damage, move quickly and can do ranged attacks. Ettin were tough for the same reason. But for the most part combat was really brainless and unchallenging, and not in a good way. I used a longsword and chakrams for most of the game and didn't really experiment with other weapons to a notable degree. I also thought the Reckoning mode was very overpowered as it basically enables you to take down any boss or group of enemies in a matter of seconds, with few exceptions.

But out of all western RPGs this might actually have the best combat from those I've played, as at least it's fun. The combat in The Witcher 2 was clunky, over complex and crap, and the combat in Oblivion was a floaty mess. Haven't played more recent instalments for either series. To be honest I feel spoiled by Dragon's Dogma and Demon's Souls, as since then very few combat systems have felt up to par.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah you're not wrong. It was fluid and responsive, and the abilities and customization were pretty cool. It's just really too bad the balance was non-existence.

ShinMaruku

I loved this game and thought it had the right foundation to build something, but now it's a casualty of MMOs and for that I will always remain leery of MMOs.

Well, I finished up just before Christmas. Loved it overall; aside from weird balancing and a few too many corridor environments. The presentation was superb. There's plenty of cool gameplay and system depth. There's an enormous amount of content, and I particularly found the writing and lore to be terrific. It didn't nail everything, but as a foundation for a franchise I thought it was superb and I'd really like to have seen what the team could do with another three years and a similarly big budget, now that the groundwork was laid.

I've been meaning to get back into this. Really loved this game but never played the DLC. I thought I purchased them back in February when they were $3 each. Looks like I never did. Which DLC pack is better??

Top Bottom