• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't revisited the OP yet, but I can't beat Beowulf on hard!

I can't do it with Royalguard at level 1. So I think I will stick with either swordmaster or trickster, but it's so hard to evade his attacks! And I do not know how to evade his projectiles

I always just use E&I to hover above his punches and helm breaker on him. Do you mean the cages or the attack where he shoots a ton of shit out? When he shoots a lot just run behind him.

I do struggle with him without RG though. And I forgot how bad I am without level 2 for air guard, I guess I relied on that more than I realized.

Carbonox

Uggh. Lucia's battle with that fucking fish.

What an awful, awful battle.

Wait until you do it on DMD. He stays invisible the entire time meaning no auto-lock.

Anyway, I got to 1700 in the Bloody Palace pretty quickly and ended up having to quit cos the game glitched. One of the mages got stuck in the environment out of sight. I believe it's due to a known glitch where you fire your rockets at them as they're teleporting. They end up receiving the knockback effect in no man's land but they don't die. So you're fucked.

Nemesis_

Fark, how annoying. Have you done DMD yet? Is it hard? I can't imagine it was, I actually found Hard easier than standard because I had all my tools and the arsenal is just so overpowered.

I've pretty much got to 2200 on Blood Palace on first try and just casually, so with some effort I think I might be able to make it. I only really died because I had to go out =(

Totally forgot that you get a bonus orb prize at the end, that was a nice surprise.

Carbonox

Fark, how annoying. Have you done DMD yet? Is it hard? I can't imagine it was, I actually found Hard easier than standard because I had all my tools and the arsenal is just so overpowered.

I've pretty much got to 2200 on Blood Palace on first try and just casually, so with some effort I think I might be able to make it. I only really died because I had to go out =(

Totally forgot that you get a bonus orb prize at the end, that was a nice surprise.

Yeah I beat DMD. Aside from the fish being always invisible, the only other challenge is Trismagia (the head boss that splits in to different faces with elemental properties) due to the amount of projectile spam involved. Trish makes short work of it though due to Round Trip and her Air Raid being OP.

Highest I got in BP was 4700 and I only died there cos of the 8 or however many Abyss Goats that Devil Trigger and spam projectiles at you. Too much to handle and I had no items on me.

Gonna try with Dante as at least he has a Rocket Launcher to help deal with those fools. Gonna stock up on items too and go for broke. I need this the BP trophies and I'll be done.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For DMC1, learn to master the roll and the jump. Both have plenty of invincibility frames on startup and once you've learned the animations of most enemy attacks, you can start to get real creative with how you approach the enemies. Just be patient and know that these games become better the more you invest in them.

I'm still very early so I don't have enough moves to really get in depth yet but I have started to get a hang of the roll to move between enemies quickly. I can almost always get A ranks now when fighting larger groups. The jump still feels kind of awkward to me. I do love timing it right and skyrocketing off of enemies. Only done it a couple times and it looks really cool.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm still very early so I don't have enough moves to really get in depth yet but I have started to get a hang of the roll to move between enemies quickly. I can almost always get A ranks now when fighting larger groups. The jump still feels kind of awkward to me. I do love timing it right and skyrocketing off of enemies. Only done it a couple times and it looks really cool.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when they start playing DMC is not understanding the jump. As TyrantGuardian said, the early frames of the jump are invincible, so learn to time your jumps when your opponent's attack is about to hit you.

In DMC, Dante's jump grants him a lot of height, but not a lot of forward movement. This gets a lot of people hit until they get Air Hike. Most evasive jumps should be reactionary rather than anticipatory. Similarly, rolling nets invincibility frames and horizontal movement, but no vertical movement. They complement each other well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One of the biggest mistakes people make when they start playing DMC is not understanding the jump. As TyrantGuardian said, the early frames of the jump are invincible, so learn to time your jumps when your opponent's attack is about to hit you.

In DMC, Dante's jump grants him a lot of height, but not a lot of forward movement. This gets a lot of people hit until they get Air Hike. Most evasive jumps should be reactionary rather than anticipatory. Similarly, rolling nets invincibility frames and horizontal movement, but no vertical movement. They complement each other well.
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll probably be asking for a lot of it in here since I actually want to get into the series. I know I'll never be super good but I really want to finally get into stylish action games since I think they're fun and have a great community around them but I haven't really invested much time into them since they've always seemed kind of daunting.

I always just use E&I to hover above his punches and helm breaker on him. Do you mean the cages or the attack where he shoots a ton of shit out? When he shoots a lot just run behind him.

I do struggle with him without RG though. And I forgot how bad I am without level 2 for air guard, I guess I relied on that more than I realized.

If you're on royalguard level 1 just block (not royal block) the first two hits of his 3-hit combo, and sideroll on the third (the final hit takes a longer time so it's easier to side roll)
For his stomp attack (when he stomps his feet in anger) it's easier to block it even when you're on ground (or just jump)...
It's hard to block its volcano attack without Ultimate (because it's a multi hitting attack)...
Don't provoke him to use the homing missile attack...

There's also a technique with royalguard which works exceptionally well on non turbo modes... This requires you to keep pressing the block buttton (even before the attack starts) and when it's about to hit you (~just frame) release and again press the guard button (quickly though)... If you couldn't get the timing right, it would be simple Block & Charge... If you got the perfect timing, it would come out as a Royal block...

Nemesis_

Trish's Divine Beams aren't anywhere near as powerful as I remember them. Or am I using them wrong? lol

EDIT: Anyone got some tips for Lucia's fish in Lucia Must Die mode? I want that fucking secretary outfit! =(

I am thinking maybe Trish's Nightmare-Gamma might make the first easier but at the same time I think maybe since the arena is so big that the reflections will be useless. I'm stumped.

It's just taking so long and I really don't want to have to use items =/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I'm enjoying DMC1 but the Yellow Orb system is really keeping me from getting too into it now that I've hit the boss fights. Nero Angelo keeps besting me at the last second before I finish him off and I don't have many YOs to keep continuing. Aside from that the game is pretty great and has aged surprisingly well.

Carbonox

Trish's Divine Beams aren't anywhere near as powerful as I remember them. Or am I using them wrong? lol

EDIT: Anyone got some tips for Lucia's fish in Lucia Must Die mode? I want that fucking secretary outfit! =(

I am thinking maybe Trish's Nightmare-Gamma might make the first easier but at the same time I think maybe since the arena is so big that the reflections will be useless. I'm stumped.

It's just taking so long and I really don't want to have to use items =/

Her Divine Beams only do the true damage when you reach 4 beams (5 top). Beyond that (for as long as you have beams left), the damage is insane. Any less and you'll do just decent damage with some bosses being resistant. Gotta have a full bar to take full advantage.

For the fish, I just followed it around and hit it with my sword as much as possible. Without lock on, it's horrifically retarded. Either way, you'll be there for a good while.

If you're on royalguard level 1 just block (not royal block) the first two hits of his 3-hit combo, and sideroll on the third (the final hit takes a longer time so it's easier to side roll)
For his stomp attack (when he stomps his feet in anger) it's easier to block it even when you're on ground (or just jump)...
It's hard to block its volcano attack without Ultimate (because it's a multi hitting attack)...
Don't provoke him to use the homing missile attack...

There's also a technique with royalguard which works exceptionally well on non turbo modes... This requires you to keep pressing the block buttton (even before the attack starts) and when it's about to hit you (~just frame) release and again press the guard button (quickly though)... If you couldn't get the timing right, it would be simple Block & Charge... If you got the perfect timing, it would come out as a Royal block...

By projectiles I meant the arrows or spikes that he shoots out of himself. Yeah no air RG is fucking me up and I still have trouble predicting some of his moves so I get his a lot

The volcano constantly fucks me up too just how much ground it covers

By projectiles I meant the arrows or spikes that he shoots out of himself. Yeah no air RG is fucking me up and I still have trouble predicting some of his moves so I get his a lot

Beowulf performs the homing missile attack when provoked to do so (if you keep your distance from him, he'll perform this attack)... Just don't run away from him while he's attacking...
Where's your motivation ;)
The volcano is probably his slowest attack... just running in the opposite direction when he screams 'crush you' does the trick for me...

If all else fails then there is this sure fire cure... Start bloody palace with royalguard and put about 2 hours in it... that'll raise your style level to 3... Personally tested by yours truly :)

Nemesis_

For the fish, I just followed it around and hit it with my sword as much as possible. Without lock on, it's horrifically retarded. Either way, you'll be there for a good while.

Wow! I was worried, but I tried a bit of experimenting. Lucia's Cranky Bombs make the fight soooo fucking eays. Just drop about five of em - Lucia moves back automatically and the fish is bound to eat at least one of them and then flinch.

I almost took no damage!

Carbonox

Wow! I was worried, but I tried a bit of experimenting. Lucia's Cranky Bombs make the fight soooo fucking eays. Just drop about five of em - Lucia moves back automatically and the fish is bound to eat at least one of them and then flinch.

I almost took no damage!

I didn't use Lucia. I used Trish in my Lucia Must Die run. :p I guess I made it hard on myself for no reason. Still, Trish is a billion times better equipped to take out Trismagia than Lucia, so have fun with that! :lol

Dahbomb

All this DMC2 talk is seriously anti-hype. :/

I am guessing most people are done with their trophies for DMC1 and they are moving on to DMC2 now. I am pretty sure BP trophy/achievement for DMC2 is the hardest one out of all them on sheer endurance alone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I am guessing most people are done with their trophies for DMC1 and they are moving on to DMC2 now. I am pretty sure BP trophy/achievement for DMC2 is the hardest one out of all them on sheer endurance alone.

I'm currently playing DMC1 for the first time so you can all laugh at how much I suck when I ask for help. Should be more entertaining than hearing about DMC2.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it right now. When everything clicks, like it did when I was fighting Nero Angelo, the game is fantastic. Never in any game before have I been able to anticipate the enemies' movements so well and counter them properly. I would be digging hard into the game if it had normal checkpoints and not the whole Yellow orb system. I would be able to experiment a lot more without fear or frustration to see what works.

Nemesis_

I didn't use Lucia. I used Trish in my Lucia Must Die run. :p I guess I made it hard on myself for no reason. Still, Trish is a billion times better equipped to take out Trismagia than Lucia, so have fun with that! :lol

I already finished it.

cDQ9f.gif

Trismagia was ridiculously easy? I was expecting worse based on your advice but he didn't seem to pose much of a problem. Once you get a good dodge pattern going, it's just really a game of endurance. Devil Trigger is easily replenished with the icicles too. >_>

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Just make sure you don't stay too far away when he enters that phase. Once you see him powering up to shoot those homing projectiles, just run right in front of him and the arrows will miss.

Dahbomb

I'm currently playing DMC1 for the first time so you can all laugh at how much I suck when I ask for help. Should be more entertaining than hearing about DMC2.
Why would I laugh at people asking for help? That's doing it right as far as I am concerned (asking for help rather than complaining or giving up). I have been helping people play and learn DMC for 10 years now and I am not going to be stopping any time soon.

DMC games (the good ones, minus DMC2 as always) are always where once something clicks and you get it then you start really enjoying.

DMC3 has a Gold checkpoint system which is basically like standard checkpoint in today's games. So you can look forward to that at least.

Carbonox

Aye, I've spent a shit ton of hours on DMC2's Bloody Palace mode. I'm now ready to do the full thing. I was breezing through it in my last run but the game glitched on level 1700 so I had to restart.

I already finished it.

cDQ9f.gif

Trismagia was ridiculously easy? I was expecting worse based on your advice but he didn't seem to pose much of a problem. Once you get a good dodge pattern going, it's just really a game of endurance. Devil Trigger is easily replenished with the icicles too. >_>

He goes down very quickly but it's getting your attacks in that's a problem due to the amount of times he spams his projectiles. I just used Round Trip and L&O on the vulnerable face until he combined, then let loose with Divine Beams. He's a pain in the ass though.

The final boss battle is piss easy though.

Have you just got Bloody Palace left as well then?

Nemesis_

Yeah, I think so. I just need to find the time, not sure if I can commit. It's a six hour battle at least, right?

The thing with Trismagia was that I didn't focus on whittling down his health AT ALL during the three heads phase. Once he merged, I would just let loose with the Devil Trigger that I had built up during the dodging and evading of the three attacks. Obviously I would get the odd hit in here and there but the crux of my damage was done in the merged phase with DT.

I imagine with Divine Beams it would be even easier ;_; I kind of wish I went with Trish but for some reason I though that I would not unlock Secretary if I didn't.

Not that I'd return to DMC2 any time soon anyway, lol.

Carbonox

Yeah, I think so. I just need to find the time, not sure if I can commit. It's a six hour battle at least, right?

The thing with Trismagia was that I didn't focus on whittling down his health AT ALL during the three heads phase. Once he merged, I would just let loose with the Devil Trigger that I had built up during the dodging and evading of the three attacks. Obviously I would get the odd hit in here and there but the crux of my damage was done in the merged phase with DT.

I imagine with Divine Beams it would be even easier ;_; I kind of wish I went with Trish but for some reason I though that I would not unlock Secretary if I didn't.

Not that I'd return to DMC2 any time soon anyway, lol.

You can still unlock the Secretary even if you beat LMD with Trish. I haven't used the Secretary though so no idea what she plays like. Should be similar to Lucia.

And yeah, Bloody Palace is anywhere from 3-6 hours. Ridiculous.

Nemesis_

She is exactly the same, and the costume wasn't even the same as I remembered.

Kind of wasted my time there, but oh well, it's past me!

I can't wait to get to DMC3. But weirdly, I can't wait to replay DMC4 either which I feel I have neglected, only completing it once or twice.

Dizzy

Banned
Are the ports any good then? Silent Hill HD collection scared me off a bit. Is it worth buying when compared with other HD collections? no bugs or downgrades?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are the ports any good then? Silent Hill HD collection scared me off a bit. Is it worth buying when compared with other HD collections? no bugs or downgrades?

No bugs or downgrades! The ports are flawless on both consoles for the majority of users. I think there may have been some hiccups if you use a CRT.

The only complaints that people have had are due to the menus and pre-rendered FMV cutscenes being in 4:3 ratio. Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do about the videos... and the menus are just menus. There's also no option to switch games while inside of another game, so you have to exit to dashboard.

Other than those nitpicky complaints, the collection is pretty much a perfect translation.

joe2187

Banned
DMC3 will feel incredible no matter what. However if you play it right after DMC2, it'll feel like touching God.

I felt this way, first time ever playing any of the DMC games, I finished up what was a really good hearty meal with DMC1 and immediately went into DMC2 and forced myself to eat shit for dessert. I physically felt bad playing it.

30 seconds in DMC3 was amazing, everything is better, the combo system, the graphics, the cutscenes HOLY SHIT I CAN CONTROL THE CAMERA!!

Cant wait to play through it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So wait, black label DMC3 was harder than DMC3:SE ?

Even if you played on Dante Must Die?

Ifrit

The original one was harder, but just on the normal difficulty. Since it was the equivalent to hard difficulty on the japanese version

DMD mode was the same on both afaik

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The original one was harder, but just on the normal difficulty. Since it was the equivalent to hard difficulty on the japanese version

Yeah, DMD was the same. Default normal was hard otherwise, and very hard didn't exist at all IIRC.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

Yeah, DMD was the same. Default normal was hard otherwise, and very hard didn't exist at all IIRC.

Good, so I have nothing to worry about then, I thought I was a lackluster player. xD

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

In NA only, the difficulties shifted over in the black label release:
Japanese Normal -> NA Easy
Japanese Hard -> NA Normal
No Equivalent -> NA Hard
Japanese DMD -> NA DMD
Gold Orb -> Yellow Orb

In the Special Edition, they reverted them back to the Japanese difficulties and added in the NA Hard as "Very Hard".

No change to DMD, though I suppose the Gold->Yellow may have made a difference depending on how you played.

SMT

In NA only, the difficulties shifted over in the black label release:
Japanese Normal -> NA Easy
Japanese Hard -> NA Normal
No Equivalent -> NA Hard
Japanese DMD -> NA DMD
Gold Orb -> Yellow Orb

In the Special Edition, they reverted them back to the Japanese difficulties and added in the NA Hard as "Very Hard".

No change to DMD, though I suppose the Gold->Yellow may have made a difference depending on how you played.

Sweet, thanks for the information GuardianE, I proabably suck since I haven't played a DMC game since 4. I guess I'll have to replay 3 to get me ready for DmC: Button Masher.

Ifrit

Sweet, thanks for the information GuardianE, I proabably suck since I haven't played a DMC game since 4. I guess I'll have to replay 3 to get me ready for DmC: Button Masher.

Keep trying, things get way more manageable once the get the devil trigger

Dahbomb

Why would you need to play DMC1/DMC3 to "get ready" for DmC?

You are better off playing Heavenly Sword or Dante's Inferno to get ready for DmC. It's going to be a good build up from those games and playing those games will prepare you well for it (no hard lock required). Playing DMC games will not prepare you for DmC at all, it will actually hinder your performance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone have some tips for really close combat in DMC1? I usually do fine when I have space to maneuver but this miniboss has locked me in a tiny area with an awful camera angle so my usual approach doesn't work at all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not sure of the name, it's my first time playing the game. It's in the sewers after you use the Guiding Soul and fight a bunch of bugs. It looks like a larger, skeletal version of the Sin Scissors.

Ah, the Death Scissors. Basically, you need to listen for audio cues and recognize patterns. Helm Breakers work best, and he's most vulnerable when he comes down to take a snip at Dante. He does the spiral drilling attack three times, and you simply have to wait for them and react by rolling to jumping appropriately.

As with most enemies in DMC1, the best approach is to wait for an opening to attack. Moving, shoting, or attacking recklessly actually makes most fights harder.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah, the Death Scissors. Basically, you need to listen for audio cues and recognize patterns. Helm Breakers work best, and he's most vulnerable when he comes down to take a snip at Dante. He does the spiral drilling attack three times, and you simply have to wait for them and react by rolling to jumping appropriately.

As with most enemies in DMC1, the best approach is to wait for an opening to attack. Moving, shoting, or attacking recklessly actually makes most fights harder.

That's what I've been doing. I just haven't gotten the timing quite down yet since I'm low on Yellow Orbs so I can't keep jumping back in. I think I've had him on the ropes a few times, he was on fire. I'll just keep plugging away.

It's a good thing I'm mixing my DMC time with Crysis 2 since the latter is a game I'm quite good at while DMC is making me feel like a complete gaming noob for the first time in years.

Why would you need to play DMC1/DMC3 to "get ready" for DmC?

You are better off playing Heavenly Sword or Dante's Inferno to get ready for DmC. It's going to be a good build up from those games and playing those games will prepare you well for it (no hard lock required). Playing DMC games will not prepare you for DmC at all, it will actually hinder your performance.

Please god don't play Dante's Inferno.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, from the second I sat down tonight DMC1 clicked for me. Dodging, jumping, comboing, it all came suddenly became easy. The combat is a blast. I've even been able to take down the past few bosses in one go. I'm surprised at how well this game has aged.

Not sure of the name, it's my first time playing the game. It's in the sewers after you use the Guiding Soul and fight a bunch of bugs. It looks like a larger, skeletal version of the Sin Scissors.

Devil Trigger + Helm Breaker ( /\ in air) is all you need.

When he rises out of the screen he'll be doing his lunging based attacks. Listen to when he's coming down and then do a side roll last second to properly evade. The only concern is to make sure you evade via the side of Dante, to do a roll. R1+left/right+jump button. If you do a front flip and back flip, you'll get hit.

anyway, it seems you passed him already. But just in case, there it is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Devil Trigger + Helm Breaker ( /\ in air) is all you need.

When he rises out of the screen he'll be doing his lunging based attacks. Listen to when he's coming down and then do a side roll last second to properly evade. The only concern is to make sure you evade via the side of Dante, to do a roll. R1+left/right+jump button. If you do a front flip and back flip, you'll get hit.

anyway, it seems you passed him already. But just in case, there it is.

Yeah, I got him my first try tonight. Don't know why he was giving me trouble last night. I just finished Mission 9, where you get Ifrit and fight the thunder bird.

Nemesis_

I did it! It took me nearly a whole day, but thankfully with common breaks it became quite manageable. Of course, I used Trish.

The thing I found hardest was trying to be calm about how I handled things - for example I tried my best not to actually run into things and instead patiently Round Tripped enemies while taking them out with handguns and occasionally punching/kicking if I could get through it.

Then, I got to floor 8801 or something, and something glitched just outside the wall. I fucking RAGEEEDDDDDD but then thankfully you can kind of "lodge" Trish's Sparda into the wall and it still took the last enemy out, which was so good.

THEN, THE BIGGEST THING.

FLOOR 9001! THE FINAL FLOOR. I was doing okay ish, but I knew that I had fluked it as I had dodged so much GOAT SHIT accidently and I was so thankful. Then I got caught up and the damage just kept piling on and on and on. So I died =( BUT I HAD A FUCKING GOLD ORB THAT I FORGOT ABOUT.

SO I WON.

Up to Mission 4 in DMC3 now. Forgot just how amazing this game is, defintiely better than DMC and overall feels so much more balance. Really easy to farm Red Orbs early on though, but I suppose there's so much crap to upgrade that it doesn't matter. Already upgraded my Trickster to Lvl 2.

What styles should I look into upgrading for future battles? Would it be out of the question to expect to have Lvl 3 for all my styles by the time I get to DMD? Or should I instead focus on some. Trickster seems to be the most useful thus far.

Fucking Cerberus. Forgot how hard he was.

Once you get back into the groove of things, though, this is easily (along with Bayonetta) the best action game ever. Coming straight from DMC2 really fucked me over especially since spending so much time with it. But I am in love all over again! And I haven't even unlocked Vergil yet, lol.

Top Bottom