• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

If anyone in the Seattle area is looking for the Metroid 2pack I think the local store Another Castle in Edmonds has some. I was able to score one from there a couple days ago and they had several left.

Sallokin

Found the two new FE ones out and about today. I would say they're pretty nice quality compared to the older ones.

eH89NUX.jpg

Luke_Wal

Found the two new FE ones out and about today. I would say they're pretty nice quality compared to the older ones.

Wow, yes, those look amazing!

Has anybody heard anything about a Zelda 30th reprint? I’m still missing OoT and Skyward Sword 😅😩

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is Zelda BOTW supposed to be rare?. I saw 4 at Target the other day. Was almost tempted to get 1 since I kinda want Zelda but was too cheap and wanted at minimum to get her at Best Buy with GCU lol. I already feel guilt for jumping into this madness and still can't justify full price.

Do you guys think they'll ever be a Pokemon line of amiibos? Obviously the entire lineup of them as amiibos is something that'll only be reserved for our dreams (....nightmares? Yeah, I'm going with that one), but a hearty lineup of the most notable ones (maybe all the starter Pokemon from throughout the series?) would be awesome. I would hate to have such a large cast of amazing characters be contained to only the few that are in Smash.

It would be pretty cool to get a 3-pack of the starters in Pokemon Switch, which would allow you to get the two starters you didn't pick. Something tells me GF would need some convincing for that to ever happen, though. I feel like we'd be lucky to even get any sort of amiibo function in Pokemon Switch, let alone an amiibo line dedicated to the series.

Tyeforce

Do you guys think they'll ever be a Pokemon line of amiibos? Obviously the entire lineup of them as amiibos is something that'll only be reserved for our dreams (....nightmares? Yeah, I'm going with that one), but a hearty lineup of the most notable ones (maybe all the starter Pokemon from throughout the series?) would be awesome. I would hate to have such a large cast of amazing characters be contained to only the few that are in Smash.
amiibo figures? I’m not so sure. But amiibo cards? I’m just waiting for the inevitable announcement.

Amiibos are still dead :p

I like how they never reprinted the Zelda majoras mask,skyward sword and twilight princess amiibos :/
They actually are reprinting Link - Majora’s Mask and other Link amiibo as well, so I’d expect Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess reprints before too long, too.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11021

Shauni

I could them doing like a 'favorite hits' kind of thing with a dozen or so of the most popular Pokemon, but there's no chance in hell they'll ever attempt an amiibo of the entire thing

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I know, I kept forgetting they're out the same day as Mario & Luigi SS + BM.

....*looks at amiibo collection* I really need to get a new shelf or SOMETHING, I've pretty much run out of room & I don't know where I can put future ones...

Zubz

Banned
I doubt they'll even do that since there's already an ongoing and successful Pokemon card game

I mean, the e-Reader Pokemon cards were fun. I liked using them, at least.

6TXa7gJGErFp8qcZI4KAlW2Z1TWjI.jpg

I rarely got enough cards for a full-game, but the Rapidash game they gave as a promo in Nintendo Power was my jam.

Tyeforce

I doubt they'll even do that since there's already an ongoing and successful Pokemon card game

I mean, the e-Reader Pokemon cards were fun. I liked using them, at least.

6TXa7gJGErFp8qcZI4KAlW2Z1TWjI.jpg

I rarely got enough cards for a full-game, but the Rapidash game they gave as a promo in Nintendo Power was my jam.
Exactly, if they don’t want to make a separate amiibo card series, they can always work it into the existing Pokémon TCG like they did with the e-Reader cards. But the Pokémon series is perfect for amiibo cards, like Animal Crossing, so I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen eventually. I could also see a Fire Emblem amiibo card series happening at some point, too.

I didn't bother with the AC cards, but I'd be all over Pokemon cards. My heart is excited about the idea of Pokemon amiibo cards, but my wallet is absolutely terrified.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Koopa & Goomba shipped from Best Buy earlier today, looks like they're arriving tomorrow, a day early.

...wish I got the game a day early, but weird that first the Metroid LE & now this are arriving a day earlier than on release day.

Exactly, if they don’t want to make a separate amiibo card series, they can always work it into the existing Pokémon TCG like they did with the e-Reader cards. But the Pokémon series is perfect for amiibo cards, like Animal Crossing, so I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen eventually. I could also see a Fire Emblem amiibo card series happening at some point, too.

There’s quite a bit of difference between including an NFC chip and printing on a small dot matrix code though. Firstly, it’s more expensive (which is why a 5-6 pack of amiibo cards costs more than a 10-11 pack of Pokémon cards), but also due to the noticeable swelling, amiibo Pokémon cards would never be “legal” in play. They’d have to stick special, non-legal promo cards, or make it a unique, non-PTCG line.

Zubz

Banned
Exactly, if they don't want to make a separate amiibo card series, they can always work it into the existing Pokémon TCG like they did with the e-Reader cards. But the Pokémon series is perfect for amiibo cards, like Animal Crossing, so I'd be shocked if it didn't happen eventually. I could also see a Fire Emblem amiibo card series happening at some point, too.

... Although actually, I never used an Amiibo card. Are they thicker than a regular Pokemon card? The other issue we have to worry about here is making sure the Amiibo Pokemon cards work in a regular deck with other cards, & are indistinguishable when face-down. Otherwise, there'd be no point in working it into the TCG. The only reason the e-Reader cards worked were because they added a border for them.

Can't believe I didn't think about that.

There's quite a bit of difference between including an NFC chip and printing on a small dot matrix code though. Firstly, it's more expensive (which is why a 5-6 pack of amiibo cards costs more than a 10-11 pack of Pokémon cards), but also due to the noticeable swelling, amiibo Pokémon cards would never be ”legal" in play. They'd have to stick special, non-legal promo cards, or make it a unique, non-PTCG line.

So there's swelling, then? Never mind!

Yeah, there’s a vertical strip down the middle third that’s slightly thicker, and the center of the strip can be somewhat further distinguishable as well.

And I really wouldn’t recommend shuffling them, lol. Seems like that might fuck up the chip.

Edit: Don’t forget though, there technically is a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card. :p Although it’s only for Pokken tournament and has no connection to the actual trading card game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY got my amiibo from UPS. Wish I woke up to my package being delivered like with the Metroid LE compared to waiting until almost 6.

Yup, these are indeed a koopa & goomba. Simple, but looks nice. Looking forward to using them in Superstar Saga tomorrow.

Demoskinos

Okay so god help me I have yet to buy an amiibo but I kind of want this 3 pack of Mario Odyssey figures. Has Amazon not put them on sale yet?

I saw Gamestop has them up for sale individually right now but then charges you for separate shipping charges for each one. Which no way am I doing that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think I've even seen the packaging for the Odyssey 3-pack since I wanted to get that. I don't recall Best Buy putting it up for pre-order as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the chance to see those Metroid amiibo in person this morning. Damn, that Metroid one is big, surprised at how good they looked, but considering I'm getting in addition to Koopa & Goomba, the 3 Odyssey amiibo & the two Fire Emblem characters, probably will have to wait when I have more money.

So, Nintendo really isn't going to ship any more of the Metroid Amiibo? The ones they decided to lock DLC behind? I was really fine with that decision, but c'mon.

So, Nintendo really isn't going to ship any more of the Metroid Amiibo? The ones they decided to lock DLC behind? I was really fine with that decision, but c'mon.
Seems a little soon to start saying that. Especially since there’s posts on this page from the past few days showing places are getting them in stock.

It’ll definitely get more production runs anyway. In fact, it got two already, so there’s a chance the second run hasn’t even shipped yet (though it may have also just been shipped alongside the first run).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I finally gave in and bought a set on MonHuns, since theybare past getting localized. I wasn't able to get them on sale on Play-Asia at the time (regret that cheap price...) but at least now I have them. Been playing the game, so figured I should buy them now for unlocks.

Richie

Managed to land a pre-order for the wedding Super Mario Oddyssey amiibo. Do we know what they actually do in-game yet though? Since I heard no amiibo at all are needed for unlocking all the costumes...

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw. Power-ups. Hmm. I like these amiibo but with this they may no longer be a day one purchase.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol if you pre-order FE Warriors from Best Buy, you can get the Lucina amiibo for only $3.

....remember when she was considered one of the more rare ones?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the MonHun Amiibo... does anyone know if they are compatible with the english version of the game? That is, although Amiibo are not region locked, is there even a function in the english version of the game to use Amiibo, and unlocked the special items though them?

TheGrue

Question about the MonHun Amiibo... does anyone know if they are compatible with the english version of the game? That is, although Amiibo are not region locked, is there even a function in the english version of the game to use Amiibo, and unlocked the special items though them?

Yes, they work in the English version.

Jawmuncher

Bestbuy taking their sweet ass time to ship out my Fire Emblem amiibo. They come out tomorrow yet haven’t even shipped yet. Just sitting at “preparing”. Not too mad since I don’t need them ASAP. But I do hope they’re actually coming and not canceled last minute or something.

Top Bottom