• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I will spend next week in Marrakech, any tips?

Kordelle

I‘ll be in Marrakech next week for 7 days with my girlfriend, any tips/must sees/must eat you can recommend us?

For anything besides food, don't be afraid to haggle in markets, or ask your girlfriend to do it if that's not your thing. Start with a third of the price they give and work your way up to half max, and be ready to walk away if you don't get the price you want. I too had my misgivings about arguing over what amounts to little where I'm from, but my ex was part Middle Easterner and had to condition me to do it. No need to be a dick, but haggling is part of the game and you won't get any respect by being a pushover.

Ignore the street kids, don't engage, don't give them anything, just ignore them. May sound harsh but if the Police see them hassling tourists they'll get a kicking in an alley, best to not give them reason.

Alcohol is hard to find in certain places, French quarter has bars, western restaurants, fast food etc. A couple of places in the old quarter have alcohol but can be a bit grim. You have to try Chicken, Olive and preserved Lemon Tagine, a Lamb Tagine and a Cous Cous. You have to do the Jemaa el Fa-Naa which is the night markets in the main square. Just wander around the food stalls ordering little bits and pieces, most traders will speak at least some English so it's not difficult.

Overlooking the main square is Cafe Argana, grab a coffee and sit up on the balcony for breakfast, we ended up doing this every day. I went before it was bombed in 2011 so not sure if it's changed. The food wasn't too great but it was a nice place to order something simple and watch the world go by.

We got to know a taxi driver on arrival who gave us his number and was available 24/7. He even organised a trip to the Atlas mountains and a stop in a really good restaurant on the way. Ended up costing us maybe $200 for a whole week, worth it in my opinion as he spoke good English and could get us in anywhere instantly, even places like Pacha (which I wouldn't recommend, just full of rich people and hookers.).

It's maybe 10 years since I went so a lot of this may have changed.

Kordelle

Ignore the street kids, don't engage, don't give them anything, just ignore them. May sound harsh but if the Police see them hassling tourists they'll get a kicking in an alley, best to not give them reason.

Watch your pockets

Ok, I‘ll better watch my stuff and don‘t take much money around.
We also don‘t want to spend too much time wandering around at night there to not get into trouble.

Have lots of tea, try tagine at street posts, be ready for pushy sellers, to haggle if you want to buy anything, and to be told by sellers that everything you wear and eat anywhere else in the world is processed petroleum from China.

(Don't be fooled, it's all lies, prices for tourists are gouged to hell, I bought the belt I'm wearing right now for 15 euro when the guy was asking for 35, and he surely made a good profit)

Considering doing a one-day excursion to Essaouira, a seaside city, which also provides sightseeing of the countryside. The driver will make you stop at a café, then an argan oil cooperative, and probably some bizarre sight. (Ours stopped at a tree on top of which some dudes had placed a bunch of goats, and charged for the sight)

I also recommend an excursion to the Atlas mountains, for instance to Ourika Valley, it's quite an experience and a beautiful sight, and the (insane amount of) tourists are mostly Moroccans so everything is much more authentic. Don't trust the driver's recommendation for restaurants if you go, or you'll eat overpriced shit that gives you terrible diarrhea.

Maybe plan a third excursion, 4 days are enougj for Marrakech IMO.

And enjoy, the place is beautiful. Just beware there is a whole sector of the economy dedicated to scamming tourists, but evading them is part of the fun.

PS: If you want help, don't ask idle men nor kids. Ignore them. Ask women exclusively, especially if they are in the way to work, or with the kids, or whatever. Otherwise, have a tea and then ask the café owner. Otherwise you'll be strolled around for an hour and end up at some shop.

PSS: Marrakech is poorer than other cities (Essaouira is even poorer, the countryside is just dire) and people don't like to feel like animals in a zoo. Careful with the photographs. That, and the idea that you ask permission then pay for someone's photo is very ingrained. Same with shops. People in Fez mocked this whole thing, but in Marrakech it can get violent and offensive for everyone. Try to be stealthy and polite, and if someone gets offended just delete the photo. You are entering a place with a different prevailing mindset, so even though it sucks one has to accept it. My advice is if you want to photograph people you integrate them in the environment and pretend you are photographing the environment around you. That, or just have money readily available, but some people will expect good dough and get even more offended otherwise. Just not worth to get everyone including yourself angry IMO.

PSSS I'm focusing in beware this, beware that... Because it's all everyone does when talking Morocco. It's great and very safe, this is just petpeeving. Enjoy your stay, it's great fun and you'll meet many nice people.

I can't stress this enough, also ignore anyone trying to give you advice on directions.
Best thing to do is plan out directions to places when sitting down and try not to keep looking at maps or phones.
The amount of people that will try to help you find your way only to demand money is ridiculous, they also have pre-planned routes so you end up somewhere with groups that demand money for helping you find your way.
Just ignore them and don't even look at them once, the situation there has been getting worse every year and lot's of locals and police hate it as it can be scary for tourists.
If you really get lost try to find women and ask them or ask at cafes when your sitting down to eat/drink.
Download a map to your phone and use that when you can. have fun, other than the street hassling it's an incredible place!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Get the school principal disguise upstairs from a shop by the school. You can shimmy your way in without the guards knowing.

Also the maseus can lure the target in for a massage for a quick execution.

Kordelle

Thanks for all your answers!
Some things sound really creepy, especially the kids.
We will try to stay in the city and to do mostly free things (because we spent so much money in the US earlier this year 😄). Maybe we will ride a camel if that is possible inside the city. We better be careful when we take photos.
I also told my girlfriend to not wear short dresses, I guess that wouldn‘t be too wise.

Really excited for the food and architecture.

Cub3h

Banned
Do NOT eat food at any of the food stalls in the night market on the main square. I have a pretty strong stomach but got crazy bad food poisoning there, as did a bunch of the other people I travelled with.

Haggle on anything not food related. Watch your pockets. Please advise your girlfriend to dress "modestly" because some of the men there are disgusting horndogs.
If you have time, visit the Atlas mountains. It's a gorgeous place and the people are infinitely friendlier than in Marrakech.

If you're on a budget avoid the big nightclubs, drinks are crazy expensive (relative to the region). Seeing as you're there for seven days definitely do an overnight stay in the mountains

Edit don't buy he first thing you see in the souk as you'll probably find better quality and cheaper the deeper you get into it

Greedings

Haggle.

Don't buy from people accosting you on the streets. Do not buy drugs, police will be on you faster than you blink an eye.

Buy water in bottles. Do not drink tap water.

Avoid meat.

Enjoy it, it's an experience, but personally not something I'd want to do again.

Browny

Banned
Have some Moroccan mint tea. It's amazing, especially if the weather is warm.

Apart from that, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy some amazing food.

Oh boy... I guess I‘ll only eat at restaurants then.

My experience was that it's always safe to eat meals out of tajines--that long cook time kills almost everything. Only time I got sick in Morocco was when I decided to get a pizza from a tourist joint in Agadir; terrible mistake.

As someone mentioned above, Essouira is amazing. We rented our own car and drove there. This was twenty years ago, though.

The haggling stuff is funny. I remember seeing prices drop 80%+ by just not being interested in buying something but browsing.

Mikeside

I recommend you take the train from Casablanca going south blowing smoke rings from the corners of your your your your your mouth

Viewt

When my fiancée and I went last year, we stuck to North Morocco (Tangier, Chefchaouen, Fes), but if you haven't been to the country before, I have some general tips:

DO:
- Drink lots of mint tea AKA Berber whiskey. It's delicious and offers a nice jolt in the mid-afternoon. Partially because there's a shitton of sugar in it. Seriously. It's totally fine for you to ask for a low-sugar or sugar-free version if you're not into that.

- Eat food in the markets. I can't speak specifically for Marrakech, but we ate at food stands all over Fes and Tangier and we were fine. And I have a pretty sensitive stomach, too. Just follow the basics for any street food city (stick to popular carts - these are the ones that have the most turnover and therefore have the freshest stuff)

- Shop. You can get great stuff at a VERY reasonable price. And though haggling is definitely recommended, if you're coming from a more prosperous nation, I think it's polite to overpay a little. You're a guest in their country, and while the difference might mean very little to you, it will mean much more to them. Also, these people will remember you if you gave them a good deal. We bought pricey spices from this merchant in Fes and the next two days we were there, he'd always call out and say hi when we walked by, gave us good restaurant recommendations, and was just generally very friendly.

- Wander. Seriously, the medinas of Morocco are amazing. Full of color, character, and great people watching. One of my favorite things when we were there was walking through a market, sitting at a random cafe for some goat cheese and honey on flat bread, and watching the day go by.

DON'T:
- Feel bad for ignoring people when you're in a hurry. 50% of the people you make eye contact with will offer you a tour of the area, ask you to come into their store for some tea, etc. Some will be kinda pushy (not aggressive, just enthusiastic). They will not take no for an answer, so the best thing to do is to just walk right past them. Don't pretend you don't speak a language, though, because Moroccans all speak like eight languages and they'll catch you in a lie haha. If you're get caught up in saying no to someone, just laugh a little, smile, and start walking away while saying goodbye. The trick is to just stay good-humored. Even in haggling.

- Believe the guy who will walk up to you two seconds after setting foot in the country asking to give you a lift and then "set you up" for Morocco. These guys, more often than not, are looking to scam you and get you scammed by all of their friends. If you need a lift, all of the petit taxis are the same color. Use those. If you're going a longer distance, grand taxis are off-white/beige.

- Confine yourself to just walking around with anglo groups/tours. It's a super sanitized experience. Hit up a local business for a tour. We did a food tour like that in Fes and it was awesome.

Enjoy!

^ I meant to mention that, when you walk out of the airport you're immediately accosted by touts, if you walk forwards about another 100yds the proper taxi rank is there

jamsy

Figure out how much the cab rides are supposed to be (ask someone at the hotel or something) and make sure you agree on the price BEFORE you get in the cab. Every single person there will try to rip you off.

Go to the soup stand in the main market area. The soup is fantastic and costs like 20 cents.

Take the day trip to Ouzoud Falls. There are monkeys and stuff.

Other than that, try to avoid getting ripped off and pick pocketed.

I was in Marrakech this past June for a few days. Les Jardin de Bala has great Indian food with a killer rooftop view. Cafe Arabe is good and we enjoyed Bazaar Cafe Marrakech.

My sister in-law is fluent in Moroccan Arabic (works for the US Embassy) so our experience was probably different from most tourists.

We also went to Essaouira and spent time in Rabat if you want other recommendations.

gandm

I‘d say ignore most of what you‘ve just read and simply enjoy yourself and the culture. You‘ll have a great time!

My experience was that it's always safe to eat meals out of tajines--that long cook time kills almost everything. Only time I got sick in Morocco was when I decided to get a pizza from a tourist joint in Agadir; terrible mistake.

As someone mentioned above, Essouira is amazing. We rented our own car and drove there. This was twenty years ago, though.

The haggling stuff is funny. I remember seeing prices drop 80%+ by just not being interested in buying something but browsing.

In the road to Essaouira there were no less than six police roadblocks, and I'm sure every single one of them would have demanded a sizable bribe from a car full of tourists. The road was also very unsafe from the combination of modern cars, dilapidated cars from the 70s and donkeys. At least it's a highway now. But I'd rather hire a driver hahahaha.

hermit7

Got back in mid September after going to Marrakech and Fes.

Place is sweet. We had rented an Airbnb for the 4 days that we were there and it was a good time. The host set up a dude that drove us around the city for a fairly reasonable price. Stayed right in the Medina and wandered a bunch around.

We also went into the Atlas Mountains for a day which was enjoyable. Don’t accept directions and ignore the children. They all want to hassle you frequently and it is really best to ignore them. Also ignore people that want to take you to the tanneries.

Fes was less fun, place would have been great but we went at an awful time (Ead) and had no idea so everything was closed up there which was disappointing a bit. I would definitely go back to Morocco place is awesome.

In the road to Essaouira there were no less than six police roadblocks, and I'm sure every single one of them would have demanded a sizable bribe from a car full of tourists. The road was also very unsafe from the combination of modern cars, dilapidated cars from the 70s and donkeys. At least it's a highway now. But I'd rather hire a driver hahahaha.

Crazy. Driving up from the south twenty years ago we saw almost no one.

Ogodei

983649.jpg

988029.jpg

992200.jpg

sangreal

I spent a week there. My advice would be to not spend a week there. It's cool for a day or two but the bartering and hustling gets old really fast. Not that much to do either and every place serves the same food

I'm exaggerating on the food but not the fact that everyone is constantly trying to rip you off. Literally everyone

Don't let them pull you into any stores, especially a carpet place. By the end of your trip you will have memorized the bullshit story of the Berber women in the mountains who handmade whatever crap they are trying to sell you

Kordelle

ok guys, I am looking for day trips now, Essaouira and to the mountains or the water falls. Riding a camel sounds good too...

Any specific tour companies you can recommend since after your stories about the people there I am a bit scared to get ripped off, even if I book them online.

Viewt

ok guys, I am looking for day trips now, Essaouira and to the mountains or the water falls. Riding a camel sounds good too...

Any specific tour companies you can recommend since after your stories about the people there I am a bit scared to get ripped off, even if I book them online.

I wouldn't be worried about booking something online, as long as it all looks professional. The people you need to worry about are the people who are going to come up to you in the street and offer you tours or ask you to come into their shop "just for tea." More often than not, the tactic will be to separate you from your group and then shame you into buying something. They will be so nice and hospitable that you'll feel like a total asshole if you say no. Believe me - avoid getting into this situation, because your options at that point are 1) buy something out of politeness or 2) stick to your guns and have a very awkward and possibly aggressive conversation with whoever is trying to sell you. The only times I saw Moroccans get upset with tourists was when they felt like tourists were going back on a sale.

Again, the easiest way to deal with these people is to say "la shukran" and keep walking. Their attention will be on the next tourist - no one has time to chase you down the street.

I'd also recommend you pick up the Lonely Planet guide for Morocco. I found it super helpful for food recommendations and just general info.

Top Bottom