• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Buffalo Chicken everything just a NJ/NY thing?

Born and raised in NJ and now live in the Florida panhandle.

Can sadly confirm that Buffalo sauce is everywhere, but Wawa isn't :(

Also, Cajun chicken > Buffalo

Teletraan1

Banned
As someone who lives 45 minutes from Buffalo, the entire city is actually covered in buttery pepper sauce. It flows in the streets. Sometimes if the winds are right, you can smell it from Rochester.

I live 5 minutes from buffalo and I can verify this. The water on that side of the lake/river has a reddish tint to it.

BWW is the applebees of sports bars, can't have something actually hot for cool soccer dad to throw up

This is flat out wrong. The new version of their Blazin sauce and their Scorpion Rum sauce (seasonal) are plenty spicy even for people who have high tolerance. "Cool soccer dad" wouldn't get past a wing or two.

Wow, I'm not surprised that Ohio has the second most BW3's. I see them everywhere. I am surprised at just how many more there are in Ohio in relation to other states. In my suburb north of Cincinnati there are 3. Yep, three BW3's all within about 10 miles of each other. They all stay pretty busy too.

I want to trade BW3's in for a few Wing Stop's

Wasn't BWW founded in Ohio with headquarters there before they moved to Minnesota?

In Buffalo we still call it "Buffalo __" when its not just plain chicken. I just ordered a "Buffalo Chicken Finger Pizza" last night and that is pretty common.

Otherwise we just say mild, medium, or hot when it comes to wings and fingers and they will be tossed in the sauce.
One pet peeve of ordering it other places is that it may or may not be tossed in the sauce.

newjeruse

I've never had a good buffalo chicken cheesesteak anywhere else but:

Original Steak and Hoagie in Plainsboro, NJ

Try it for yourself folks.

Wait, what's this talk about Buffalo sauce just being "hot sauce plus butter"? Is that true? I mean, it seems like Buffalo is a pretty distinct flavor. Like are y'all saying that if you mixed say, Tabasco with melted butter, it would taste just like Buffalo sauce?

The hot sauce in question is Frank's Red Hot. Frank's Red Hot + Butter = Buffalo Sauce. The heat of the sauce depends on the ratio of sauce to butter. I've tried adding some other spices and additional vinegar and when I got done I was just like "man, this would have been easier and tastier if I just adjusted the ratio of Frank's to butter.

JDdelphin

I assume in Buffalo they just call it "chicken" right?

They aren't called 'buffalo wings' or whatever, if that's what you mean.

But since most of the 'chicken with hotsauce (and probably blue cheese) on it sandwiches' come from franchises that make up theme names for everything- you can order a buffalo chicken sandwich from anywhere.

Just get a bottle of Franks Red Hot and put it on anything you eat.

Boom. 'Buffalo style'

daviyoung

Banned
London checking in. Buffalo fries are sold in a burger place called Meat Market and they're amazing. Fries, that chilli sauce and crumbled blue cheese. Also lots of places have Frank's Red Hot labelled chicken wings, so a close approximation.

Top Bottom