• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS, Dreamrift)

I like how clean the art is, it's not trying to look perfectly like a 16-bit game:

1.png
gallery_16_4021.png

Also, I hope there's voice acting. :)

Firebrand

I really like the art in this, though it feels weird to have a sequel to Castle of Illusion without Sega's involvement.

Also not a big fan of having the worlds based on other Disney properties, but I guess that it makes some sense as an Epic Mickey title.

Eh... I like the look of the screenshots, but those brief gameplay clips look really, really low-budget. Hopefully, it's just an early build and the E3 demo will be more impressive.

I really like the art in this, though it feels weird to have a sequel to Castle of Illusion without Sega's involvement.

Also not a big fan of having the worlds based on other Disney properties, but I guess that it makes seome sense as an Epic Mickey title.

I prefer the movie world involvement, as they're some of my favorite movies of all time, and so far it looks like they're being handled super well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it bad that I hope DreamRift gets bought out by Disney after this and just makes 2D Disney games? I know that sometimes ends badly, but I'm being greedy here.

Henry Hatsworth 2 but with Scrooge McDuck
Another Illusion game
A new Quackshot(with Darkwing Duck)

Lijik

Eh... I like the look of the screenshots, but those brief gameplay clips look really, really low-budget. Hopefully, it's just an early build and the E3 demo will be more impressive.

I dont know, if you were to take the music out of hatsworth or monster tale and just jump in place and shot once or twice, those games would probably look bad too. In fact Im pretty sure most games would look bad if they were presented the way this game is in those clips.

randomkid

I like how clean the art is, it's not trying to look perfectly like a 16-bit game:

1.png
gallery_16_4021.png

Haha I like the screenshot on the right a lot more than the one on the left, feels like it has more personality or something I can't even really explain it.

Shiggy

Haha I like the screenshot on the right a lot more than the one on the left, feels like it has more personality or something I can't even really explain it.

It might be because Mickey feels lifeless in the left one and because the right one uses a somewhat three-dimensional perspective, whereas the left one is flatter. Not to forget the lighting in the right one feels better/more detailed.

zroid

Banned
don't judge the screens too harshly till you see them in 3D; I'm betting the game will really come to life then.

RedSwirl

1.png
gallery_16_4021.png

I think the deal is that we don't really know what a 2D 3DS game is supposed to look like yet.

We got tons of 2D games on the GBA and even DS that had their own "standard" level of detail for 2D games. We haven't really seen much of that for 3DS games yet, not to mention Vita games.

zroid

Banned
I think the deal is that we don't really know what a 2D 3DS game is supposed to look like yet.

Sure we do, check out Mighty Switch Force. (Hint: It can be really cool if done right)

Mutant Mudds too. Looks great.

Do check out the 3D stills in that Nintendo Show 3D from a little while ago. They're compressed hard and the depth is toned down, but you can still see how the effect is used, and it's quite promising.

Rayman Origins is also 3DS-bound... eventually.

Mutant Mudds is not that good of an example at least graphically because it's sort of like an 8-bit looking game.

zroid

Banned
Rayman Origins is also 3DS-bound... eventually.

Mutant Mudds is not that good of an example at least graphically because it's sort of like an 8-bit looking game.

Well just in terms of how layering is used, it's a very good example. Not necessarily for its detailed artwork.

Just realized something...

Mickey's buttons are yellow, aren't they usually white?

Google shows mostly white, but a few seem to be yellow.

The main design in the console versions (and the first game) use white buttons.

I actually like the yellow better for some reason.

Also, I hate how lanky he looks in the console versions, thank god they made him shorter and chubbier here.

DEAR GOD I SOUND LIKE A CLASSIC SONIC NUT!!! :p (FYI, I'm cool with both Sonics).

Just realized something...

Mickey's buttons are yellow, aren't they usually white?

Google shows mostly white, but a few seem to be yellow.

The main design in the console versions (and the first game) use white buttons.

I actually like the yellow better for some reason.

They're yellow in the older cartoons, which this is trying to emulate.

The white buttons are evocative of the newer, much lamer Mickey. (Btw I despise everything they've done to Mickey Mouse in the last 15 years except for Epic Mickey and maybe the concept of House of Mouse)

Murrah

Banned
I hope the difficulty isn't for babies. Or give hard stuff a la Mario 3D Land.

I never played Monster Tale, but Hatsworth was pretty much perfect difficulty wise so I'm confident there. What I'm more concerned with are the way-too-long levels and way-too-few checkpoints of Hatsworth; the first two or three worlds in that game were fantastic, then the end game has each level lasting 40+ minutes, turning what could have been one of my favorite DS games into a game I never have any intention of ever going back to

a Mickey-branded 3DS bundled with the game would be the Happy Meal of videogames
saleswise

I'm soo excited for the game. I even dream about it

PetrCobra

I played like 30 minutes of the first game. Why am I even bothered by this? I mean, I was always excited about the concept, but... well, is there a reason to it or am I just insane?

zroid

Banned
I played like 30 minutes of the first game. Why am I even bothered by this? I mean, I was always excited about the concept, but... well, is there a reason to it or am I just insane?

Could it be because you like 2D platformers and think Dreamrift have a solid pedigree for the genre?

Wait, has Disney finally started using the Kingdom Hearts idea? Looks great!

Yep, because Square Enix with Kingdom Hearts invented same company cross overs or Fantasmic!
For fucks sake, the plot of kingdom hearts is nothing more that a convulted and emo Fantasmic! mixed with anime characters and belts and zippers.
And if you are talking only about videogames, it has also be done by disney before.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Didn't think it was worth a new thread, but Gamestop.com just listed this preorder bonus

231356_bonusLG.jpg

Says 'power of two' on the preorder bonus, but it shows up on the Power of Illusion page.

M-PG71C

Argh, this looks wonderful. Although all this does is make me really want a Quack Attack sequel.

Oh damn! That's a fine damn game. I never knew about it till a couple of years ago, bought it complete in box at a yardsale. I had a very kick ass weekend with it.

This is looking to be the definitive version of Epic Mickey 2. Certainly the one I'll be buying.

RM8

Can't wait for this. And can't believe they're throwing Code of Princess, Layton, Paper Mario and this at me in such a short period. If I don't buy, play, enjoy and finish those games it's going to suck when Luigi's Mansion, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey hit 3DS early-ish next year.

Difficulty-wise I'm hoping it's considerably challenging, I'm only familiar with the Master System Castle of Illusion and it was no cakewalk.

Top Bottom