• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Home |OT| - I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that outside of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

t6khH1R.png

Ueegxhv.png

VFSS686.png

49FEFD4.png

M4RRP3g.png

GiU2Nn6.png

u4DNoJK.png

• $129
• Pre-order now, ships November 4th
• Available at Google Store - Best Buy - Target - Walmart

• CNET Hands-On
• TechCrunch Hands-On
• Android Authority Hands-On

Already have my Home preordered, and looking forward to getting it.

My only question is if I can tie other apps into its "Good morning" functionality, so I can get a list of the day's events that include the app that all my work email/calendars come from.

Jzero

What stuff doesn't Google Home do that Echo can do? Serious question.
I'm guessing Dominos and Uber are the apps people are going to want the most.
• No Amazon apps (Prime music, Audible, Amazon shopping)
• Home specifications don't mention Bluetooth
• Home has a smaller driver and no tweeter
• Home has less microphones

Nipo

Uber worked in the demo. I really want Netflix and Hulu functionality with chromecast. Limiting it to YouTube is lame. Sonos integration would be nice too.

Jzero

Uber worked in the demo. I really want Netflix and Hulu functionality with chromecast. Limiting it to YouTube is lame. Sonos integration would be nice too.

Netflix is working in the demo it just not available at launch

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can you change the word trigger for voice?

I'm not buying one of these things until I can call it computer.

Kthulhu

I hope this reviews well. I look forward to it.

• No Amazon apps (Prime music, Audible, Amazon shopping)
• Home specifications don't mention Bluetooth
• Home has less microphones

Why would you want Bluetooth over wifi?

Amazon apps not being supported is probably on Amazon not wanting to support Google or Apple.

I'd save the microphone complaints till we get a review.

So Amazon Echo Lite

As an Echo user since Day 1, this, out the gate, already looks more interesting than Echo, especially at this price. It integrates with Google stuff natively (calendar, email, etc.), and it doesn't require hacky workarounds or convoluted trigger words for the 3rd party apps it supports. Most importantly, it can cast video, which Alexa cannot do. App support will grow, and it already interacts with Android at a native level. For an Android user, it's tough to recommend an Echo unless you go DOT and don't want a competent speaker or Google native support.

Had no idea what Google Home was, but after scanning the details, this really doesn't seem like a product I could, or even want to, use. It's interesting to see this particular field grow and evolve though, and sooner or later tech like this will be meshed into nearly everything at home. I'd probably use it more in a vehicle though, since physically checking your phone while driving is...not wise.

Jzero

I hope this reviews well. I look forward to it.
Why would you want Bluetooth over wifi?
Amazon apps not being supported is probably on Amazon not wanting to support Google or Apple.
I'd save the microphone complaints till we get a review.
I was just listing the differences, not any opinions. I purchased Home and not the Echo

Anyway BBC says that "The $129 (£101) device is launching in the US only next month, but is due to come to the UK next year."

revbatboy

Already have an echo, might get one of these to try in the bedroom. The search feature will probably blow echo's away; Bing sucks on echo.

Apparently the reason Echo took so long to come to the UK and other English markets is that they had to teach it all the various accents. Presumably Google has to do the same, although they should be well ahead of the curve in that one, given their experience.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I am going to get at least one of these, but I'm probably going to hold off until it supports more than one Google account at a time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apparently the reason Echo took so long to come to the UK and other English markets is that they had to teach it all the various accents. Presumably Google has to do the same, although they should be well ahead of the curve in that one, given their experience.

I don't think the problem is being able to parse different languages and accents. Google can parse my Swedish speech into text nicely (although maybe not quite as well as it does with English). But, and this is a big BUT, it doesn't really understand Swedish the way it understands English. 95% of the things I ask Google in Swedish just result in a simple Google search, with no actual "knowledge" involved. It can't do the context-aware stuff (where you first ask about something, then ask something else about "it" and it knows what you mean, etc) in Swedish, etc. It can't do most things, except simply parse my speech into text. As soon as I switch to US English Google becomes a million times more intelligent. So something like Assistant would basically be useless in Swedish, and most other languages I presume. And they don't want to release a product in Sweden that only really works if you set it to US English.

Nipo

Netflix is working in the demo it just not available at launch

oh that is great! The only other thing i really wish they had at launch was support for multiple google accounts. The fact it can't recognize my wife's voice and add things to her calendar when she talks and mine when i talk is really annoying. Even saying "Add to XXX's calendar" would be better than nothing.

I'm speaking about Canada personally, so I'm not sure.
As a fellow Canadian, I have to say you should come to expect being left out like this. Our entire retail infrastructure has been rigged with tap & pay for years but Android Pay is taking it sweet time to show up. I'd also like to think that as hardware it will come here faster than a financial service, except we're still not able to buy Echos here either (although they DO work if you import one).

Edit: The only major annoyance this device has for me, other than its lack of availability in Canuckland, is that it's rigged to use a single Google account only. That's a huge dealbreaker for me right there.

Jzero

I really want to get smart bulbs for use with my Home but a lot of people say the Hue kits suck and you need that bridge device to use multiple bulbs.

Edit: The only major annoyance this device has for me, other than its lack of availability in Canuckland, is that it's rigged to use a single Google account only. That's a huge dealbreaker for me right there.
Google said they're working on getting multiple accounts working for a future update

Futureman

it's crazy I bought a Jawbone bluetooth speaker like 4 years ago for $280 or whatever. This thing is so much cooler (and Echo).

Seems cool but not something I would buy yet.

I really want to get smart bulbs for use with my Home but a lot of people say the Hue kits suck and you need that bridge device to use multiple bulbs.

I have some, You do need a bridge which is a PITA because it's yet another fucking box you have to plug in. But the lights themselves are good. Or at least I think so. Pricey though.

Google said they're working on getting multiple accounts working for a future update
I know, but it's not there yet and that's likely contingent on there being enough interest in the device in the first place (I really do hope it does well).

Just realized we can't even order the new wifi router here in Canada either. The store just shows the OnHub.

Kthulhu

As a fellow Canadian, I have to say you should come to expect being left out like this. Our entire retail infrastructure has been rigged with tap & pay for years but Android Pay is taking it sweet time to show up. I'd also like to think that as hardware it will come here faster than a financial service, except we're still not able to buy Echos here either (although they DO work if you import one).

Android Pay requires negotiation with banks, so it's a little more complex.

But yeah. Google doesn't care about any country that isn't the US or India.

Luschient

Next up - Apple's take on this concept.

Would possibly be interested in this since I already have a ton of Apple crap in my house. Have there been any rumors on them working on something along these lines? At one point wasn't Apple TV supposed to be a "hub" for all things smart-home related?

FinKL

Almost bought a bluetooth/google cast speaker but held off to get this.

Although it's missing bluetooth, I think I'm willing to live with it's current features and play around with this in our kitchen.

Really wish it could integrate w/ Google Voice and make calls/texts though. Hopefully that's a software update down the line

I'll get this just because of the Google Music support.

My GF has the Echo and that's the only thing missing that I'm upset over.

Polarburr

Quick question!

Can I use Chromecast (not Chromecast Audio) to play Spotify with Home?

Cause my surround sound is connected to my TV. I'd prefer to have that than connecting Chromecast Audio to my speakers.

So basically can I go 'okay Google. Play Michael Jackson on my TV' will it be recognized using Chromecast?

Kthulhu

Quick question!

Can I use Chromecast (not Chromecast Audio) to play Spotify with Home?

Cause my surround sound is connected to my TV. I'd prefer to have that than connecting Chromecast Audio to my speakers.

So basically can I go 'okay Google. Play Michael Jackson on my TV' will it be recognized using Chromecast?

It looks like it. You probably have to have Spotify premium though.

kaskade

iOS app switched over to google home.

I hope they get some other smart plugs manufacturers on there soon. The Samsung ones are a little expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom