• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PUBG performs badly on Xbox One - and X

Mooreberg

Does FPP on either platform have MMR yet? PC version seemed like it was finally becoming less of a performance mess, but maybe that was because half of the people in every god damn match were gone before the first circle closed.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
t game shouldnt of been released in this state, that being said when gameplay kicks in its hardly unplayable. when it came out on the PC it was a mess to, give them time to patch it and it will run a lot better

Mooreberg

I tried to warn them that counting on this dev team to do anything on schedule, or well, would bite MS in the ASS.
Well, this was arranged to sell products, not to be a showpiece for the hardware. They have 343 Industries and The Coalition for that. Performance in this game and loot boxes in Shadow of War seem to get a pass outside of YouTube sphere of influence.

SAiLO

It performed badly on my GTX1080, OC i7-6820HK with 32GB and SSD until I tweaked the shit out of it.

You'd think devs would be capable of doing that for a new platform release?

TNH853

it´s not very optimized on pc. no wonder it´s not running well on a console. bluehole doesn't really know what there are doing

giphy.gif

Mahadev

Everyone who has played PUBG on PC would have told you this before release, the dev sucks at optimizing the game.

_A2

Neo Member
I personally think MS pushed for higher resolutions than necessary for that 'full 4k'.
I know everybody keeps saying that it's cpu bound, and it certainly is to some extent, but I don't think the devs would have said they're targeting 60 on X if they couldn't even get it to 30.

quickwhips

I think the game plays fine for me. I mean on the fly overs I kinda feel the frame rate issue but otherwise no big deal.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I personally think MS pushed for higher resolutions than necessary for that 'full 4k'.
I know everybody keeps saying that it's cpu bound, and it certainly is to some extent, but I don't think the devs would have said they're targeting 60 on X if they couldn't even get it to 30.

PC version just got a patch that doubled fps. Optimization for Xbox will yield similar results.

DryvBy

it's an early access game, what did they expect ?

People expected it to run decent on Xbox One X to say the least. But I have it on PC and with my rig (using a 1080 and i7-6700k), it's has problems randomly and doesn't look good. Epic knows what they're doing and Fortnite fills that itch when I want to play this game style. It runs well on every system and all my friends have it since it's free.

Peroroncino

Badly is a colossal understatement. I could understand the game running like shit on base XO but 12fps on 'the beast' is just laughable regardless of the fact that it's an early access.

I always thought this game looked janky even when on PC.

Although I can see the appeal in the game mode it feels like a mode for a bigger game like battlefield or something.

I hope it improves for the people who were looking forward to playing it but I won't be rushing to get it for sure.

Inuteu

I think its a matter of time before a major game developer make an improved version of this, everyone jumps out and PUGB will be barried forever in early acess state

pieface

The whole game feels like it needs to be scrapped and rebuilt.

There's a solid game there. But doesn't feel like it runs correctly.

Would like to see DICE have a stab at a game like this.

Bickle2

A game is available for sale, has sold 20 million copies on PC...It has one map, one map all this time. It's now on X and touted as a console mover, a certified big piece in MS's stable and you don't want DF or people to comment or judge what they're playing?

Go back to that thread where people thought this would be 60fps on the X, some people just don't take a hint...It's the same way Ark was supposed to be 4k or 60fps on the X too......and the thing can't even do 1080p 60fps on a 1080ti with consistency.

Imagine if there was no specialized team then, 11-12fps on the minimum with awful controls and aiming, by DF's now touted "ATG".....

A 30% improvement on clockspeeds on the jaguar is not going to give you a world of difference. The jaguar is not an i7......

Case in point, in CPU bound scenarios, you're going to get an uptick of 2-3 fps improvements for the most part....Perhaps you would see a bigger difference, if MS's OS didn't siphon the CPU as much, compared to other consoles...

Except it’s not just clockspeeds, there are huge provements efficiency done to it as well. Jesus it stopped being just clockspeed a decade ago. And there’s also thisnthing where you offload CPU to the GPU. It’s done all the time on PS4, and the X has piles of overhead for that. It’s beta software of a crap, poorly optimized game that’s only X enhanced in name.

petrus91

PUBG on Xbox One lets you view the PC settings screen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-pubg-settings-screen-revealed

Beyond USB support, it's the status of the console settings that's a touch worrying. In addition to its frame-rate issues, is the equivalent to PC's very low preset really the best that PUBG can deliver on Xbox One?

I think that should have been expected, especially for the base console. A 1.4TF console from 2013 should not be expected to deliver much more than mid-low PC settings as today. Let's combine this to the difficulties Bluehole has gone through with their inability to optimise the engine for the first 6 months of PC builds.
I'm actually shocked to the antialiasing medium setting on One X. This must be the most unuseful thing ever. Most PC gamers don't even bother with AA and play with medium settings that seems the sweetspot for quality/framerate.
Anyway they have a long way to go on Xbox. Hope they can optimise the CPU usage, seems like the most evident bottleneck to me.

Calibos

PUBG on Xbox One lets you view the PC settings screen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-pubg-settings-screen-revealed

Beyond USB support, it's the status of the console settings that's a touch worrying. In addition to its frame-rate issues, is the equivalent to PC's very low preset really the best that PUBG can deliver on Xbox One?

On the X it's full 4k at medium PC settings.

This game is so much god damn fun...15 matches down, lots of kills, lots of fails...some of the most tense gameplay I have ever experienced...So far Duos with a mic'ed friend is my favorite...

Call it what you will, this games got some serious legs, even in it's rough state. The core experience is unmatched...

Blam

The whole game feels like it needs to be scrapped and rebuilt.

There's a solid game there. But doesn't feel like it runs correctly.

Would like to see DICE have a stab at a game like this.

Yeah and then their battlepacks would be even more stupid.

hiphopcr

I expected 720p30 with some drops. This turned out way worse.
The insanity of banality.

It's 4k30 with some drops. The one screenshot of the parachute fps that everyone is using is not indicative of how the game runs the vast majority of the time.

Dlacy13g

One thing that seems to be glossed over by DF is that the really bad frame rate drops are really isolated to the opening loading stage where all 100 players are waiting for the game to start and then in the plane on the way to the drop. The staging area could / should just be made into a timer screen with hints / tutorials playing while you wait to get in the plane and that would solve that issue. The plane drop honestly doesn't matter if the FPS drops to 15 since you really are just picking a drop point. Once you are out of the plane frankly I found the frame rate totally fine and playable on my X1X. I just think they made a bigger issue of the frame rate than it really is.

Blam

One thing that seems to be glossed over by DF is that the really bad frame rate drops are really isolated to the opening loading stage where all 100 players are waiting for the game to start and then in the plane on the way to the drop. The staging area could / should just be made into a timer screen with hints / tutorials playing while you wait to get in the plane and that would solve that issue. The plane drop honestly doesn't matter if the FPS drops to 15 since you really are just picking a drop point. Once you are out of the plane frankly I found the frame rate totally fine and playable on my X1X. I just think they made a bigger issue of the frame rate than it really is.

Seriously tho give me a game that can run well with 100 moving characters in the same place at the same time. While the map is loading in assets.

Call it what you will, this games got some serious legs, even in it's rough state. The core experience is unmatched...

Yup, and with the sales it's proven that very well.

bee

It performed badly on my GTX1080, OC i7-6820HK with 32GB and SSD until I tweaked the shit out of it.

You'd think devs would be capable of doing that for a new platform release?

something must be wrong your end, my 3570k/1080 averages about 4k@50 on the ground with a mixture of ultra, medium, low

PC version just got a patch that doubled fps. Optimization for Xbox will yield similar results.

haha! please link to said patch

Just got #2...so pissed I didn't get a chicken dinner yet happy that I'm enjoying the game so much, in all its choppy glory. I have a feeling im gonna be playing this for a loooooong time to come.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just got #2...so pissed I didn't get a chicken dinner yet happy that I'm enjoying the game so much, even in all its choppy glory. I have a feeling im gonna be playing this for a loooooong time to come.

Have finished second as well and like you was pretty upset with myself for coming so close.

I know I have put this game down for its frame drops but when its playing right the game is wonderful.

That was directed at people like Thelastword and a few others, not you.

Give me a fucking break. You were getting all excited in the other thread when you thought it was 60fps on the X so clearly early access wasn't a factor then. Now that it's a known mess, the damage control comes out and all negativity gets swept under the "early access" rug.

Are you getting me mixed up with someone else? Oh, wait, it's mysteriousmage09. Seems like you're projecting hard and froathing out the mouth at any sign of negativity here, which is funny since you don't own an XB1 according to your posts.

People are really using a poorly optimized early access game to criticize the power of the XB1X? Do you realize how fucking stupid that sounds?

Yep. Insecure people mocking the "beast" moniker not realizing what you just said. They seriously believe a 2FPS increase over the base XB1 is normal and not because of unoptimization coupled with early access, despite other AAA games on the market proving then wrong.

In all fairness the game doesn't run nearly as bad when you land and actually start playing. As an early access game currently in development I'll be curious to see what types of improvements are going to be made as the patches start rolling out in the coming weeks.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, so adictive. I'm playing on Xbox One X, after landing you can play quite well. It's a game preview and release day, I didn't expected something more advanced. I saved this video yesterday in one of few kills I made.

http://xboxclips.com/Slash76/2b6dc9fc-0311-4bc4-8d33-17251a574374

I'm happy it doesn't get that bad after you actually hit the ground from parachuting.

I think the game plays fine for me. I mean on the fly overs I kinda feel the frame rate issue but otherwise no big deal.

Again, yep. Funny people who don't understand the game even on PC getting all giddy about FPS before the game is even loaded in, where as people who actually are playing it are enjoying it and know it will be patched as time comes along.

The insanity of banality.

It's 4k30 with some drops. The one screenshot of the parachute fps that everyone is using is not indicative of how the game runs the vast majority of the time.

Yep, thank you. Exactly what I just said.

Agreed. Good post.

Seriously tho give me a game that can run well with 100 moving characters in the same place at the same time. While the map is loading in assets.

Yup, and with the sales it's proven that very well.

Exactly.

So an unfinished port of an unfinished PC game has performance issues at isolated stress points?

Shocking.

More or less what everyone else is saying, lol.

As a ps4 gamer mostly I feel like Xbox/pc have weird taste in games I really don’t see the appeal of this

So like 25 million gamers who bought this game have wierd tastes, huh?

Are you getting me mixed up with someone else? Oh, wait, it's mysteriousmage09. Seems like you're projecting hard and froathing out the mouth at any sign of negativity here, which is funny since you don't own an XB1 according to your posts.

You're a bigger idiot than I imagined. You actually went back to change your post after I called you out. After nonstop calling others out as fanboys, after nonstop personal jabs at others, after constantly bringing up other people's post history, you actually had the nerve to pull this shit.

Doubtful, but would be cool.

Unfortunate for you, this is the internet.

http://archive.is/z3kW4

The irony here is one for the record books.

Top Bottom