• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean if it's true and he didn't get a refund or another unit (eventually) then those headlines are for sure warranted.

I would rather not stir up any negativity with Nintendo right now honestly. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get me a replacement console or something. It just hasn't been discussed as of yet. I'm not angry with them so other people dont need to get angry with them on my behalf..

tebunker

Banned
Technically that is correct. and I might see that money at some point but reading up on it I would probably end up in small claims court which would probably cost more than I would get. So it isn't that I couldn't get the money back, just that I probably wont.

this makes no sense. You weren't legally required to send it anywhere or do anything with it, but you sure as hell shouldn't be financially liable for anything unless you did something wrong.

/Edit

Hopefully they get you a new unit to replace it.

Cartho

We're obviously missing something here. If Hiphop legit bought the switch and a company just sent it waaaaay too early then he should 100% get his money back. Like, if that was exactly what happened then the seller wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court - they'd have to refund him as it was their mistake to sell it to him.

If Nintendo has strong armed him into giving the console back and hasn't had the courtesy to sort a refund then that is utterly contemptible and needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

Does make me wonder what went down in order for him to get the thing in the first place.....

Eolz

Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.

That sucks.
Surprised that Nintendo wouldn't give you a Switch later to compensate that.

lindseybp

I would rather not stir up any negativity with Nintendo right now honestly. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get me a replacement console or something. It just hasn't been discussed as of yet. I'm not angry with them so other people dont need to get angry with them on my behalf..

Sounds like Nintendo has been pretty cool about this, all things considered, which is good to hear. Sounds like someone at the company that shipped it to you is in some deep shit. Like you said I'm sure there is a lot of stuff we don't know about and you can't talk about. Can you at least mention the company that shipped it to you now? Are you under an NDA with Nintendo now?

jax

Banned
That sucks.
Surprised that Nintendo wouldn't give you a Switch later to compensate that.
Either he's lying about buying it from a retailer and receiving it early, or he hasn't asked Nintendo why they would take his Switch without a refund. Either way should have sold it when you had the chance hiphop. You weren't obligated to give it back.

Ah yeah hopefully you will get a new one then when they launch officially. Sorry this had to happen though.

Thanks again for being so cool about showing this to us though!

WadeitOut

Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.

I would assume your at least getting reimbursed though right?

*EDIT* Just saw the followup post

jmizzal

WHAT? did they come to your house? They didnt even say you will get it back once it launch?

May I ask what phone you are using? I've only seen such issues myself with very cheap phones.

I've tried Samsung top of the line phones, Iphones, Ipads, Sony flagship phones (my family loves their over expensive phones).

I hae a Xiaomi phone, excellent phone and normally hasn't any problems with finger detection.

I think that my skin is so thick that it somehow prevents the screen from detecting my fingers. Nose works everytime.

EDIT. About Ninty taking the Switch back, there is clearly a lot other things going on there so I wouldn't blame Nintendo solely for this... I love it how Gaf always jumps straight for throat if there's is a chance to bash Nintendo. The guy himself said that there is other things to consider. Ofc it looks bad for Nintendo if someone holds the information about everything else and just says that Nintendo took his toy away and didn't give any money back...

Have any videos on youtube or other sites been taken down by Nintendo? I haven't noticed any so far and that is extremely odd.

Yeah, I am surprised by that as well. and they didnt ask me to remove my videos but I figured the information is out there and I would rather stay on their good side.

Matt

Unless the unit was stolen (not by you of course) or was given to you by someone that signed a legal agreement, you under no circumstances were required to (or really should without proper compensation) give it back to them.

I'm REALLY curious what happened here.

Make sure to keep in contact at least. Do not blindly assume they'll do the right thing without some mild pressure.

lindseybp

Hopefully either you get a refund from the company you purchased from or Nintendo gives you one. I know a lot of people on here are saying you should have sold it but I'm guessing it's a good thing you didn't as the situation could have been worse for you potentially.

goldenpp72

It's pretty clear there is more going on here that we don't know, no one in their right mind would legally obtain a device and then get rid of it at the loss of their own money. Hopefully this doesn't lead to a bunch of 'Nintendo will steal ur systems lolol' topics until more is clarified.

If I legally obtained the device through a store and they asked me to return it for no refund, i'd tell them to fuck off.

jax

Banned
Unless the unit was stolen (not by you of course) or was given to you by someone that signed a legal agreement, you under no circumstances were required to (or really should without proper compensation) give it back to them.

I'm REALLY curious what happened here.
This is probably what happened,especially given the timing

JB2448

Wait, Nintendo didn't reimburse you? What the fuck?

Edit: Now we know.

phanphare

Banned
we're clearly missing some details here because if he just got sent his unit early and that was that he wouldn't have to return it to Nintendo. I think maybe he has a friend who works at a retailer and they let one out early. something like that. it would explain why no one else seemed to get their unit shipped early. you'd figure if a retailer accidentally shipped out a unit early it wouldn't be just one.

Sorry but this is fucked up. It's not like you found a stolen prototype. A store shipped a preorder too soon. What the fuck?

Rellik

Lmao at actually sending it back to Nintendo. Either we are missing something here like it was off a lorry, or you just freely handed over something you paid for nothing in return.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I am surprised by that as well. and they didnt ask me to remove my videos but I figured the information is out there and I would rather stay on their good side.

I guess they won't air the UI Overview videos anymore, you already did the job for them :p

Seriously now, sorry to hear that they took it away, as well as your money...this is so strange. As said by others, if you bought it legally, they wouldn't have grounds for asking you to give it back to them. And why didn't them pay you back? Stay in contact with them, don't assume they will surely remember about it.

Why am I starting to think that Switch was actually stolen (from whoever sold it to hiphootherobot, of course, not hiphop himself :p )

Kawngi

Yeah this is obviously missing a massive piece to the puzzle, just hope you get your money back or a replacement on launch day at the very least...

lindseybp

By no stretch of the imagination do I know anything about legal ramifications but think about it. All Nintendo would have to do is claim it was stolen goods and sue him. Immediately he is out way more than $300 if he has to hire a lawyer, even if it's thrown out. I'm not saying Nintendo threatened anything, I'm just saying big companies have a lot of money and could easily drain someone of way more than $300 just to prove a point. I think you did the right thing by giving it back. If they don't give you another one after release or if you don't get a refund then I think we start a donation to get you one. I mean holy hell did you stir up Gaffers with the posts and videos! It was awesome!

jmizzal

I don't even know why you'd give it back if you're not under any legal obligation to do so.

Yea I wouldnt send it back unless, they guarantee me a refund or another unit at launch, legally I dont see how they could come after him anyways, they can only come at the retailer that sent it to him.

Now they have the right to come after him for the videos, which he took down.

diaspora

we're clearly missing some details here because if he just got sent his unit early and that was that he wouldn't have to return it to Nintendo. I think maybe he has a friend who works at a retailer and they let one out early. something like that. it would explain why no one else seemed to get their unit shipped early. you'd figure if a retailer accidentally shipped out a unit early it wouldn't be just one.

but even then he'd ought to get his money back from them no?

tebunker

Banned
I still don't get it though, he's still under no obligation to send it back.

Unless he knowingly bought something that may have been stolen?

there are so many details we don't know yet.

I mean it is entirely possible he bought it from someone who was supposed to get it for review etc...

Who knows.

If it was a legal transaction through a pos, dude wouldn't be out a dime.

Pappasman

You are under absolutely zero obligation to send anything back to them. That is complete bullshit. You should have fought for a refund if they wanted it back and denied them if they refused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom