• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Right and a lot of the time the journey is fun but a lot of the time it also feels like it's busy mindless stuff. I guess the best way to describe this game is uneven. Where I feel games like galaxy was a constant stream of greatness, this game has them in bursts. The open world doesn't bother me it's that I wish there were more what I consider to be more platforming challenges built into the world rather than a lot of the more just walk around find stuff variety.
Before Odyssey released i brough up something similar to what you talked regarding Moonshines and how they compare to Galaxy. However the threads were akin to tea parties where evryone was busy drinking tea and eating cookies so no one was interested in that debate. Here's an example:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=247053592

Anyone else thinking that Moon Shines in Odyssey are sort of a middle ground between Green Stars in 3D World and Stars in 64 or Sunshine? Can this potentially affect the experience you have with the game?

Shouldn't even mention things like Toy Time, Melty Molten or Gusty Garden levels in the original Galaxy (Galaxy 2 can even be more creative). So far for what i' ve seen from E3 and Gamescon, the gathering process and complexity of MoonShines as well as the set pieces they are build around seem distant to the these 3 Mario sub series of games.

Odyssey does have some big things going on for it thought: A proper and well executed reverence to nostalgia, the most powerfull move set in any 3D Mario game, fantastic controls with the Joycon, openly embraces the speedruning community and at the same time it accomodates novice players. It is also the most detailed Mario game ever created. Attention to detail is insane.

Regarding your comment about that Moonshines should never be trivial to collect. Those are there for the novice players that can only operate the joystick and the jump button. Doing a Moonshine vs 64 Stars comparison, we' ll notice that in quality and ammount Odyssey surpass it.

So the Galaxy games remain untoched but 64 and Sunshine are surpassed it seems.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally beat it earlier and I am loving the end-game stuff. Getting the 100% is going to take me some time.

I kept wondering about an all-moons speedrun while I was playing the game, and now I'm just not so sure. I assume speedrunners won't be doing that for a long time, if ever.

What a wonderful, wonderful game. At my age, I really shouldn't feel so enchanted by bouncing around as a fire koopa or by stacking Goombas, but there's no resisting this magic. Masterful.

BOWSER KINGDOM is really, really good. Not only speaking within the confines of Odyssey but when taking the entire series into consideration, 2D games included.

Even the most simple designed Moonshines that are tyed to an specific recurring collecting mechanic get a nice twist in this one: notes, power line surfing. It surprised me how much more evolved the path navigation of the running rabbits are in comparison to MIPS. Purple coins are cleverly spread around.

Challenge rooms don't get any stinkers as they remain interesting due to how strong is the woodpecker capture mechanics. The Koopa race feels grate also and i would recommend to stick to the more "inentended" route the first couples of times to apreciate more. Then do the shortcuts for score board purposes XD

I finally beat it earlier and I am loving the end-game stuff. Getting the 100% is going to take me some time.

I kept wondering about an all-moons speedrun while I was playing the game, and now I'm just not so sure. I assume speedrunners won't be doing that for a long time, if ever.
i think
254?
and
500?
would be enough. Route planing most be amazing in this game. Probably among the best in the series.

Ok, I admit they got me with that one post ending kingdom. Nostalgia overload
i won't dare to call it "lazy", however i don't like how it was handled. The suggestion i have doesn't involve much extra work and would be more consistent.

Why put the
Paintings and courtyard
in geographical places that don't make sense? Have the exact same layout of
64 Castle entrance
have the
boss paintings
rooms spread behind 6 doors in the first floor.
Peach's throne room
behind a door that leads to the second floor.
Courtyard
Behind a door leading to the basement.

More faithful with the only extra effort would be having to work in the entrance. Everything else is already made. There's already plenty stuff to do outside as it is.

Odyssey does have some big things going on for it thought: A proper and well executed reverence to nostalgia, the most powerfull move set in any 3D Mario game, fantastic controls with the Joycon, openly embraces the speedruning community and at the same time it accomodates novice players. It is also the most detailed Mario game ever created. Attention to detail is insane.

Regarding your comment about that Moonshines should never be trivial to collect. Those are there for the novice players that can only operate the joystick and the jump button. Doing a Moonshine vs 64 Stars comparison, we' ll notice that in quality and ammount Odyssey surpass it.

So the Galaxy games remain untoched but 64 and Sunshine are surpassed it seems.

Agreed that Odyssey is absolutely packed with detail. It makes its best worlds a joy to explore. The forgotten isle is one of the game's smallest levels but it's also one of the best because of this.

As for moons/stars/shines, I don't agree with the part of your post that I bolded. Most of Odyssey's Moons I would not want to collect again - since they solely exist to encourage more exploration. And while there are plenty of really good ones it does mean the game isn't going to be as pure to replay or return to as 64 and Sunshine were. I've lost count of the number of times I've either replayed 64 from the beginning, or picked up the game to replay a few stars. And it never, ever, gets old. And that's a game where the objectives aren't even that interesting - the journey there is. Sunshine has more interesting objectives, complete with near-endless ways in how you go about and clear them.

That, to me, is important, and why I don't feel that Odyssey surpasses 64 and Sunshine as a whole. I think Odyssey is an amazing game, but I struggle to rank the 3D Marios because they are (rightly) rather different to one another, and they have their strengths and weaknesses. I guess it depends on what you see in the series, and I can't also fault Odyssey for having such a breadth of gameplay styles.

bobawesome

I regret spending so much of my time 100%ing the game. I would've preferred a gold statue of Mario on the title screen like in New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Beegeous

You say that but someone did a 50 hour 100% BotW speedrun within a few weeks of release.

I regret spending so much of my time 100%ing the game. I would've preferred a gold statue of Mario on the title screen like in New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Can you tell me
what the large painting on the right hand side of the Moon Kingdom’s wedding hall is for? I’ve got 650 moons and it’s still blank, and I can’t see myself getting all the moons without a guide.

Agreed that Odyssey is absolutely packed with detail. It makes its best worlds a joy to explore. The forgotten isle is one of the game's smallest levels but it's also one of the best because of this.
Really astonishing, isn't it? And it goes to stuff that it's mostly trivial. I.E.: planted seeds have different grouth sizes, a bunny starts sweating after chased for a while and starts getting tired, the amount of objects and surfaces cappy can swing in most be in the 100s.

As for moons/stars/shines, I don't agree with the part of your post that I bolded. Most of Odyssey's Moons I would not want to collect again - since they solely exist to encourage more exploration. And while there are plenty of really good ones it does mean the game isn't going to be as pure to replay or return to as 64 and Sunshine were. I've lost count of the number of times I've either replayed 64 from the beginning, or picked up the game to replay a few stars. And it never, ever, gets old. And that's a game where the objectives aren't even that interesting - the journey there is. Sunshine has more interesting objectives, complete with near-endless ways in how you go about and clear them.

That, to me, is important, and why I don't feel that Odyssey surpasses 64 and Sunshine as a whole. I think Odyssey is an amazing game, but I struggle to rank the 3D Marios because they are (rightly) rather different to one another, and they have their strengths and weaknesses. I guess it depends on what you seek in the series, and I can't also fault Odyssey for having such a breadth of gameplay styles.
Actually the highlighted seems to imply i' ve been stating preference with all of my posts, when that's not the case. i have just limited myself to explain how each of the games work. If i would claim a personal preference then it would be the Galaxy series. But the comparisons most people make and what i have tackle are 64 (mostly) and Sunshine related.

On the other hand i would like if you could explain to me why you think 64 is better, most of what i read is people claiming what they "like" instead of taking a more objective approach. My posts while large are rather few so you can eaily review them to see how i have responded to the comparisons.

Another thing i feel that i talked about before Odyssey release, is that Sunshine gets a seat on the table in these discussions when it should be at the kitchen eating it's dinner. As my perception is, it's the 3D Mario game that Odyssey is borrowing less from. Sunshine's merit in the discussion lays in being a direct evolution of the 64 formula. But maybe i might be missing something.

64 is simply a much purer sandbox, and its physics are a lot more flexible than Odyssey's. Mario's momentum changes through more variables, and I find that makes for a more playful, and irresistible, sandbox. Its levels are built around this facet of the game, too, which is why it's possible to have plenty of fun just jumping, diving, and skipping about outside Princess Peach's castle.

Odyssey, by comparison, has more predictable physics, which in turn makes it a lot more accessible, but at the same time once you've learned its more difficult moves it's actually very difficult to make Mario slide about or change momentum, whereas he does so in 64 through more factors, like the incline of a surface, whether you've dived, how fast he's moving when he lands and so on.

Odyssey encourages exploration via Moon collecting whether you like it or not - in 64 there's none of this. You'll pick a star, and often the only hint you get about what you should be doing is a single descriptive line. It's then up to you to explore the level and figure things out.

64 is a purer realisation of the platforming sandbox, and why players may be motivated to explore its sandboxes, and that's why I think it's still king. Sure it may require more patience and have a steeper learning curve, and actually getting around its environments competently is incredibly difficult if you've just started playing the game for the first time, but that's also what makes it an incredibly satisfying game. Very little of what 64 classes as a goal feels hollow to achieve, whereas you can't deny that many of Odyssey's Moons only offer hollow satisfaction - they've been placed there to gamify exploration.

(fyi - replayed 64 last year, and Sunshine this year)

64 is simply a much purer sandbox, and its physics are a lot more flexible than Odyssey's. Mario's momentum changes through more variables, and I find that makes for a more playful, and irresistible, sandbox. Its levels are built around this facet of the game, too, which is why it's possible to have plenty of fun just jumping, diving, and skipping about outside Princess Peach's castle.

Odyssey, by comparison, has more predictable physics, which in turn makes it a lot more accessible, but at the same time once you've learned its more difficult moves it's actually very difficult to make Mario slide about or change momentum, whereas he does so in 64 through more factors, like the incline of a surface, whether you've dived, how fast he's moving when he lands and so on.
Basically it amounts to you liking the more relaxed physics model of 64 than the more "realistic" Odyssey one. A preference, which doesn't make a game "purer" sandbox than the other.

However, both games have the less restrictive move set out of the other 3D ones and both move sets allow the player to express creativity in it's platforming. So i wouldn't declare one it's "superior" to the other until more time has passed, 1 game has been played extensivly for 20 years the other for a week.

Odyssey encourages exploration via Moon collecting whether you like it or not - in 64 there's none of this. You'll pick a star, and often the only hint you get about what you should be doing is a single descriptive line. It's then up to you to explore the level and figure things out.
64 encourages exploration through Star collecting and coin gathering? The amount of different collectible in both games is the same? Or im missing something? Stars, yellow coins, red coins, blue coins for 64. Moonshines/Moonshrads, yellow coins, purple coins for Odyssey.

Moonshines in Odyssey come in al varieties: From "Set pieces", to idiot proof, to criptic and well hidden. Then it has a well implemented ingame hint system to accomodate everyone.

64 is a purer realisation of the platforming sandbox, and why players may be motivated to explore its sandboxes, and that's why I think it's still king. Sure it may require more patience and have a steeper learning curve, and actually getting around its environments competently is incredibly difficult if you've just started playing the game for the first time, but that's also what makes it an incredibly satisfying game. Very little of what 64 classes as a goal feels hollow to achieve, whereas you can't deny that many of Odyssey's Moons only offer hollow satisfaction - they've been placed there to gamify exploration.
(fyi - replayed 64 last year, and Sunshine this year)
Players are motivated to explore these sandboxes because the movement mechanics in all these games are amazing. Can you elaborate why one is "purer" than the other?

If we eliminate the amount of Moonshines while keeping everything the same:
  • A segment of the user base gets the boot making a game less inviting to new players.
  • The "Barren", "Square inch of meaningful content" brigade comes shouting from all corners.
  • If Nintendo doesn't want to alienate anyone the more "complex" Moonshines have to be further diluted to accomodate the low tier.
As Moonshines are now at least all bases are covered with the caveat that no solution is perfect for everyone. Nothing is...

Since you replyed 64 more recently than i, it should be fresher in your memory. So you could easily provide concrete examples, i would like to see that.

Will0827

The segment in new donk city when you find all the band members and jump up super star is playing and the fire works are going off and your playing donkey kong was the greatest gaming moment for me ever. I got teary eyed and don’t know why and was so happy it was perfect.

Basically it amounts to you liking the more relaxed physics model of 64 than the more "realistic" Odyssey one. A preference, which doesn't make a game "purer" sandbox than the other.

However, both games have the less restrictive move set out of the other 3D ones and both move sets allow the player to express creativity in it's platforming. So i wouldn't declare one it's "superior" to the other until more time has passed, 1 game has been played extensivly for 20 years the other for a week.

64 encourages exploration through Star collecting and coin gathering? The amount of different collectible in both games is the same? Or im missing something? Stars, yellow coins, red coins, blue coins for 64. Moonshines/Moonshrads, yellow coins, purple coins for Odyssey.

Moonshines in Odyssey come in al varieties: From "Set pieces", to idiot proof, to criptic and well hidden. Then it has a well implemented ingame hint system to accomodate everyone.

Players are motivated to explore these sandboxes because the movement mechanics in all these games are amazing. Can you elaborate why one is "purer" than the other?

If we eliminate the amount of Moonshines while keeping everything the same:
  • A segment of the user base gets the boot making a game less inviting to new players.
  • The "Barren", "Square inch of meaningful content" brigade comes shouting from all corners.
  • If Nintendo doesn't want to alienate anyone the more "complex" Moonshines have to be further diluted to accomodate the low tier.
As Moonshines are now at least all bases are covered with the caveat that no solution is perfect for everyone. Nothing is...

Since you replyed 64 more recently than i, it should be fresher in your memory. So you could easily provide concrete examples, i would like to see that.

I never wanted to objectively rank the games in the first place. I don’t disagree with most of what you say and I’d say the same about Odyssey. I’m just not sure it makes it a “better” overall game. I can only say it makes it a different game that is still amazing.

I also wouldn’t call Odyssey’s physics more realistic however - in 64 Mario reacts to way more variables, his momentum is constantly impacted by things like the incline of the land, how fast he’s going at. There’s more variation in speed and to his jumps. Odyssey gives you plenty of awesome moves to play with but they often play out in exactly the same way: it’s more predictable. The only exception is rolling - that’s actually impacted by inclines and the terrain.

I don’t have a problem with stating the games’ qualities at all to analyse their high quality. but I can’t say I want to do so and claim one is objectively better than the other because that’s silly - like I said it your mileage depends on what you think of those factors mentioned about each game.

I don’t have a problem with stating the games’ qualities at all to analyse their high quality. but I can’t say I want to do so and claim one is objectively better than the other because that’s silly - like I said it your mileage depends on what you think of those factors mentioned about each game.
Thanks for diplomatically calling me an idiot... the tact is always appreciated. XD

Trying to aproach things in a more "objective" way seems more productive for a discussion or for trying to reach a more accepted thruth. There's a space for subjectivity of course but is what mainly drives these topics so is less interesting.

Subjectivism is what leads us to claims as: "It feels like Assassins Creed/Dark souls" or "it's inspired by Banjo Kazzoie" either with no claims to back it up or rather superficial ones and without any effort whatsoever to refute the counter arguments.

Most of the 64 comparisons were made by other posters. Among the claims were that the game is less "focused", or in general, that 64 is doing "x" while "Odyssey" isn't. i just took the time to describe what the games are doing. So i would say "Silly" is making the comparsions that don't hold to further scrutinity.

Thanks for diplomatically calling me an idiot... the tact is always appreciated. XD

Trying to aproach things in a more "objective" way seems more productive for a discussion or for trying to reach a more accepted thruth. There's a space for subjectivity of course but is what mainly drives these topics so is less interesting.

Subjectivism is what leads us to claims as: "It feels like Assassins Creed/Dark souls" or "it's inspired by Banjo Kazzoie" either with no claims to back it up or rather superficial ones and without any effort whatsoever to refute the counter arguments.

Most of the 64 comparisons were made by other posters. Among the claims were that the game is less "focused", or in general, that 64 is doing "x" while "Odyssey" isn't. i just took the time to describe what the games are doing. So i would say "Silly" is making the comparsions that don't hold to further scrutinity.

don’t look too much into the word “silly” - it was a statement of disagreement, not some comment on your intelligence. Would we be having an intelligent discussion about both games - with good points raised - if you were an idiot?

I’m leaving this here. Too many assumptions are being made. I also stated that I wasn’t a fan of objective *ranking* of the two games, not the use of objective analysis to describe them, so there’s probably nothing left for me to add.

Grinchy

Banned
You say that but someone did a 50 hour 100% BotW speedrun within a few weeks of release.

lol yeah I guess there will always be the crazy outliers, but I just don't see it becoming a regular speedrun category

I was watching Trihex practice his route for the minimum number of moons and the skilled acrobatics of like a Mario 64 run were key. This is gonna be an awesome game for speedruns.

Shifty

The segment in new donk city when you find all the band members and jump up super star is playing and the fire works are going off and your playing donkey kong was the greatest gaming moment for me ever. I got teary eyed and don't know why and was so happy it was perfect.

The grin on my face was so big and dumb during that sequence.

I was watching Trihex practice his route for the minimum number of moons and the skilled acrobatics of like a Mario 64 run were key. This is gonna be an awesome game for speedruns.

Man, I can't wait to see what the speedrunning community can do with this game's movement system. I found myself going out of my way to do crazy stuff wherever possible, and more often than not found a massive pile of coins for my trouble. So good.

Literally doing a traffic jam in New Donk city to grab a Moonshine, i wonder if that's the designed way to do it?

A pleasent surprise. As we know Cappy is a very unintrusive companion and guide for players. Upon enetering a challenge room past the first time he makes a comment about the status of the room if it has been cleard of Moonshines or not. Well, the game kind of trains the player early on to expect 2 Moonshines per challenge room.

Well, in New Donk upon entering a room by mistake that was already cleared of the "2" Moonshines, prompted Cappy to comment about "not being done yet". That was a rather cleverly hidden 3rd pice of moon.

The grin on my face was so big and dumb during that sequence.

Man, I can't wait to see what the speedrunning community can do with this game's movement system. I found myself going out of my way to do crazy stuff wherever possible, and more often than not found a massive pile of coins for my trouble. So good.
This is something key with this game. How totally unrestrictive and welcoming is to the player that wants to try things. In other cases the game would be full of invisible walls or sliding colition boxes in most objects.

This also means a player that doesn't have the dedication or time of a speedrunner can pull of some very impressive acrobatics after getting confortable with the move set. Getting optimal with movement is a reward on itself.

KayMote

Wow, the credits just rolled.

Not gonna lie:

After hearing how huge the post game content would be, I was half expecting a full Super Mario 64 remake once entering Peach's Castle :D

0racle

I have a question on progression.

After I beat the few missions that are required for the story then im free roaming the world for moons is it possible to get them all?

Im at the very start and only in the sand kingdom. I seem to be stuck and cant find anymore, should I look harder or do they need to be unlocked and I return later?

I have a question on progression.

After I beat the few missions that are required for the story then im free roaming the world for moons is it possible to get them all?

Im at the very start and only in the sand kingdom. I seem to be stuck and cant find anymore, should I look harder or do they need to be unlocked and I return later?
Hello Oracle:

im not sure exactly what you mean by story but in any case here's how it works:
  • Generally first 3 to 5 Single or Grand Moonshines of a level are clearly pointed out to the player and feature some kind of subtitle.
  • As you beat those initial missions more Moonshines open up for that level, because conquering them applies some change to the level state. But not all moonshines that a level can/will hold are available from the get go at this stage of progression.
  • You can even ignore those "Story" Moonshines and start collecting and even skip the bosses and main objectives and just collect to power up the Odyssey and advance to other level.
  • After rescuing Peach even more Moonshines open up. Is at this stage that all of them can be collected. So you should revisit the level again.

Edit: Other question that pops up frequently with new players is the buying infinite Moonshines dilema. Before rescuing Peach you can buy just 1 per level these even form part of the list. After rescuing Peach, you can buy buy as much as your gold coins allow. This is a "fail safe" so people of any skill level or busy lives can access all or most of the content.

Played this tonight, first Mario game I have spent a decent amount of time with since Sunshine (Galaxy 1&2 passed me buy)

Could not stop smiling, there is charming and then there is Nintendo charming.

Ok, here are my thoughts so far on this game...

Me and the wife are having a blast playing this over the past 3 days, we get/go well beyond what the Kingdoms ask as far as moons, but here is my personal issue with it...

Why, why, WHY would Nintendo put almost 900 moons in a game with 17 Kingdoms when each Kingdom only requires 10 to 20 moons to beat that Kingdom??? I got so frustrated at one point due to how eazy it was to get a moon, I asked my wife if she put the game on easy and she said she never messed with the menu options.

I just don't understand why they would put 60 to 90 moons in each Kingdom when you only need around 10 to 20 (depending on the Kingdom) to beat it?! Makes nooo Sense!

I seen a article online where someone beat Mario Odyssey in 90min and got an achievement for it!!!! Honest to God, back in 96' with Mario 64, there is NO WAY in hell you could beat that game in that time, simply ridiculous (fastest speed run in Mario 64 was around 2 hours, with a game 21 yrs old! This time was beat in 3 days with Mario Odyssey)!!!  Why is everything in general getting soooo damn soft these days??? Politics, video games, just everything!!! I wanna feel like i accomplished something after i beat these games, it's hard to feel that way anymore when these games are basically another version of some Welfare Government assistants!

Just sad. Great Game Nintendo, but this is a reason why gaming is getting less and less fun. Too many developers making games where everyone gets a trophy 🏆

Final thought...

Mario Odyssey is supposed to be the direct sequel to Mario 64 for N64, but it feels less (MUCH less) Satisfying simply because of the ratio of moons per Kingdom per how many you actually need to beat each Kingdom. I'm actually really shocked this game got such high scores with reviewers. Do reviews these days not base there scores off of a challenge aswel? In Mario 64 there were only 121 stars in a game just as long, if not longer, so whats the deal with almost 900 moons? It use to feel soooo special to get a Star, these moons are a Joke.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You're looking it the wrong way though. It seems you're motivated by the reward than the actual level itself.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally finished the main story and it was soooo good!!! Now move on to post-game levels.

I was going to buy Switch when SMTV comes out but I'm so glad I bought it sooner for Mario Odyssey, it was worth it.

You're looking it the wrong way though. It seems you're motivated by the reward than the actual level itself.

No my friend im not. Even Mario Sunshine (my fav Mario game actually) was waaay more challenging then this game.

I texted my older brother (40 yrs old) my concerns with this, and he agreed that this game is waaay to soft, it's not what it use to be. We grew up on Nintendo together in the 80's, we been there since the beginning when Mario was first launched, when these Mario games were actually challenging. The only rewarding feeling i get from this game is when my wife gets moons, because she is not the best gamer at all! But it's satisfying seeing her get moons, makes me happy!!! But for me, im just a tad disappointed with the ratio of moons per Kingdom compared to how many moons you need to beat that Kingdom, it is very, very lopsided.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No my friend im not. Even Mario Sunshine (my fav Mario game actually) was waaay more challenging then this game.

I texted my older brother (40 yrs old) my concerns with this, and he agreed that this game is waaay to soft, it's not what it use to be. We grew up on Nintendo together in the 80's, we been there since the beginning when Mario was first launched, when these Mario games were actually challenging. The only rewarding feeling i get from this game is when my wife gets moons, because she is not the best gamer at all! But it's satisfying seeing her get moons, makes me happy!!! But for me, im just a tad disappointed with the ratio of moons per Kingdom compared to how many moons you need to beat that Kingdom, it is very, very lopsided.

Could also be possible that the older games feel "difficult" because you were younger. The level designs here, especially the post game ones, are pretty great especially when it rewards creative thinking on getting through them.

And again, the amount of moons for clearing doesn't really equate to level design or difficulty - just a gate. And honestly I like it that - it means you get to see the "full" version of the level quicker which being able to slog through the "story" version faster. You don't see it in older games because you're pushed outside immediately and you have to pick a "version" of the level that is different.

Why, why, WHY would Nintendo put almost 900 moons in a game with 17 Kingdoms when each Kingdom only requires 10 to 20 moons to beat that Kingdom??? I got so frustrated at one point due to how eazy it was to get a moon, I asked my wife if she put the game on easy and she said she never messed with the menu options.

I just don't understand why they would put 60 to 90 moons in each Kingdom when you only need around 10 to 20 (depending on the Kingdom) to beat it?! Makes nooo Sense!
The design reasons are:
  • Keeps the pacing quick for a more open and free Mario game like this.
  • During a replay experienced players have more control of what Moonshines and content to access.
  • It gives the chance to players of different skill levels to complete and access most of the game's content.
  • Some content is tied to very high moon requirement due to how many are available.
  • Bonus: "Barren","Metrics ton of content per inch" lovelys get they cake and eat it too.
I seen a article online where someone beat Mario Odyssey in 90min and got an achievement for it!!!! Honest to God, back in 96' with Mario 64, there is NO WAY in hell you could beat that game in that time, simply ridiculous (fastest speed run in Mario 64 was around 2 hours, with a game 21 yrs old! This time was beat in 3 days with Mario Odyssey)!!! Why is everything in general getting soooo damn soft these days??? Politics, video games, just everything!!! I wanna feel like i accomplished something after i beat these games, it's hard to feel that way anymore when these games are basically another version of some Welfare Government assistants!
Just sad. Great Game Nintendo, but this is a reason why gaming is getting less and less fun. Too many developers making games where everyone gets a trophy
🏆Mainly consequence of living in the information age. We got speedruns so early because:
  • 1000's of experienced players investing hours upon hours sharing information instantly.
  • Some guys did get to play the game early, possibly weeks and not just reviewers.
  • People got used to the move et quickly. We even got demo speedruns.
Final thought...

Mario Odyssey is supposed to be the direct sequel to Mario 64 for N64, but it feels less (MUCH less) Satisfying simply because of the ratio of moons per Kingdom per how many you actually need to beat each Kingdom. I'm actually really shocked this game got such high scores with reviewers. Do reviews these days not base there scores off of a challenge aswel? In Mario 64 there were only 121 stars in a game just as long, if not longer, so whats the deal with almost 900 moons? It use to feel soooo special to get a Star, these moons are a Joke. .
See the list in the first paragraph.

When someone does a Moonshine vs 64 Stars comparison, we' ll probably notice that Odyssey has more variety, similar challenge and more interesting moonshines when it's all say and done.

Neff

Yeah I had the credits roll and then entered the
Mushroom Kingdom. Was under the impression that I was done but are there many more worlds to visit?

There's not much more in the way of actual Kingdoms, the bulk of postgame consists of extra Moons added to the existing Kingdoms, and a lot of secret mini-levels
, some of which are pretty tough. Trust me, there's a lot to do after the credits roll.

Kaversmed

There's not much more in the way of actual Kingdoms, the bulk of postgame consists of extra Moons added to the existing Kingdoms, and a lot of secret mini-levels
, some of which are pretty tough. Trust me, there's a lot to do after the credits roll.

Alright thanks! Not sure if I feel like putting more time into the game at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with it, though I’m not sure it is a 10/10 game for me personally.

Limiting possesion use.

Is interesting to tackle the Challenge Rooms and platforming sections of levels without Capturing a creature. i' ve been thinking about "Minimal Capture" runs as a category that would be interesting if added by the community.

i' ll encourage everyone to try approaching the game this way when they finish playing the intended way.

Some other details noticed:
  • Look at this time stamped video about motion controls.

https://youtu.be/OG_H9W1BQbw?t=19s

Run it at 0.25 speed. Notice when the person throws the hat by flicking the right joycon Mario will use it's right hand to throw Cappy, but when he throws the hat using the left Joycon, Mario uses his left hand. Like wise the Spin Attack follows the direction in which the user swings both of his hands.
  • As we know Nintendo designers set coins in hard to reach places to reward skilled and curious players. However, the amount of coins found in each of these places seems to vary according to how difficult Nintendo thinks is to get there. The more challenge the more coins.
  • MArio has other access points to get inside the Odyssey, like the big chimney on the back and an manhole at the top both accesible by But Stomping over them.
  • In Bonetton, throwing Cappy to lamps will lit them. Is possible to light the hole town this way which makes me surprised there's no a Moonshine behind this activity.
  • Throwing Cappy to torches extinguishs them.
  • As Mario collectes plot related Moonshines in Metro, the Billboards and wall graffiti change.
  • In Shiveria when Mario is covered by snow, the air from whirlwinds will remove it from his outfit.
  • Climbing up Yoshie's house chimney covers Mario in charcoal.
  • In every Kingdom there's native wildlife often specific type of birds. When Mario enters the idle sleep animation these creatures will either sit on his nose or get near him.
  • When using a cheap cheap doing an attack will open chest or unearth any Moonshines that require a But Stomp. No need to abandon the possesion.
  • Some possed creatures have special idle animations. A noteworthy case is the Tiki (name?) statue.
  • NPCs react to nearby enemies with a "cowardice" animation and a comment. A good place to try this is in Volvano by taking a Fire Brother into the city.
  • When collecting single Moonshines, Mario will do a celebration that reference different 3D games of the series like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. So the original Odyssey animation is the one limited to Grand Moons.
Other interesting details:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252918282

Top Bottom