• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

emperor_ing

Neo Member
Everything in that interview sounds good to me. More post game content is welcome - ran out of stuff to do apart from the Battle Tree at around the 100 hour mark on Sun. I left the competitive side years ago and I more focus on just collecting everything now and as a result of no national dex I've left the majority of the legendary & mythical Pokémon on gen 6; so a new legendary quest will be useful to get those in a post-Bank world.

gosox333

I'm all for more cutscenes, watching them for the first time wasn't an issue. It's just the second and third times was where I started having problems.

Please make them skippable for replayability at least.

Toxi

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't give anything about legendaries? Give us more non-legendary Pokemon to catch, please.
Ultra beasts aren't legendaries

I mean, they're genderless endgame Pokemon that can't breed with a consistent BST of 570, but they're not legendaries because there's more than 1 per playthrough for some of them.

(They're basically legendaries)

JoeM86

I mean, they're genderless endgame Pokemon that can't breed with a consistent BST of 570, but they're not legendaries because there's more than 1 per playthrough for some of them.

Ultra Beasts are legendary Pokémon in the game code, in the same category as Articuno, Moltres, Regirock, Heatran, Landorus, Tapu Koko and Silvally.

GoldStarz

There's not much to be said about Hoopa being connected to Kalos in the first place. While it was introduced in Gen 6, it arguably is more of a new Hoenn element. Certain Legendary and Mythical Pokémon aren't necessarily tied to one specific region. I remember when it was implied Shaymin is linked to Kanto. Still hurts that they didn't seize the opportunity to do something with it in HGSS.
I never said there was anything connecting Hoopa to Kalos, though, I'm saying they should have added something to connect it to Hoenn for it to make sense for its rings to appear. Gen IV and Gen V were pretty good about connecting their mythicals to their regions (with the exception of Manaphy who I'll give a pass to since they had a whole storyline centered around its introduction in Pokemon Ranger and Meloetta who I really can't give a pass to). I feel like GameFreak has started slipping since Gen 6 in tying their mythicals in to their region since the only one with any connection is Diancie and that connection is a super bare bones "It's a mutated Carbink" with literally no additional info on how that works.

Not my cup of tea, either. I'm more into evolutions and 'semi-legendaries' like Dragonite, Tyranitar etc.

JoeM86

So yeah, they're legendaries.

I mean I do get the complaint.

There are currently (pre-USUM)

36 Sub-Legendary Pokémon
20 Legendary Pokémon
18 Mythical Pokémon

So 74 Pokémon out of 802 are Legendary in one way or another.

Now, in Sun & Moon they added

13 Sub-Legends: Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord
5 Legendary Pokémon: Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma
2 Mythical Pokémon: Magearna, Marshadow

So 20 new Legendary Pokémon in Sun & Moon alone.

Then we add in the three we know of from USUM (assuming they are categorised as Sub-Legends) and we're at 23 of 77 Legendary Pokémon being from Generation VII

Not my cup of tea, either. I'm more into evolutions and 'semi-legendaries' like Dragonite, Tyranitar etc.

Legendary Pokémon evolve now :p

36 Sub-Legendary Pokémon
20 Legendary Pokémon
18 Mythical Pokémon

13 Sub-Legends: Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord

Then we add in the three we know of from USUM (assuming they are categorised as Sub-Legends) and we're at 23 of 77 Legendary Pokémon being from Generation VII

I cannot cope with this fact. NEBBY YOU BASTARD

I'm still waiting for gamefreak to announce an "interruption-free" mode. Selecting it will make you fall into a wormhole in the beginning of the game. You'll arrive in an alternative Alola where the entire story doesn't exist. You will be able to travel across Alola free of annoyingly happy npcs bothering you everywhere you go and make your own story instead.

"Here's your starter, now get out there and do whatever the hell you want."

What a great game that would be.

spad3

36 Sub-Legendary Pokémon
20 Legendary Pokémon
18 Mythical Pokémon

Do the Ultra Beasts really count as Sub-Legends if you can get multiples of them (without cheating in the same game)?

Because by that logic, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Lucario, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Noivern, Kommo-o and all their respective evolutionary lines would also count as Sub-Legends.

JoeM86

Do the Ultra Beasts really count as Sub-Legends if you can get multiples of them (without cheating in the same game)?

Because by that logic, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Lucario, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Noivern, Kommo-o and all their respective evolutionary lines would also count as Sub-Legends.

Yes they do.

However those don't.

The difference is the designation in the game code. The Ultra Beasts are placed in the same category as sub legends. The ones you listed are not.

ash_ag

You don't have to appear directly in the games to have context. There is no context for the rings to be in the game at all, that's the problem. Mew is not in Red and Blue but is mentioned in the journals in Cinnabar Mansion, Celebi is not mentioned by name but is spoken of as the forest guardian in Ilex Forest. Like you can write around this really simply. I've got the same issue with Jirachi and Deoxys in Gen III so this isn't just a Hoopa thing for me.

I never said there was anything connecting Hoopa to Kalos, though, I'm saying they should have added something to connect it to Hoenn for it to make sense for its rings to appear. Gen IV and Gen V were pretty good about connecting their mythicals to their regions (with the exception of Manaphy who I'll give a pass to since they had a whole storyline centered around its introduction in Pokemon Ranger and Meloetta who I really can't give a pass to). I feel like GameFreak has started slipping since Gen 6 in tying their mythicals in to their region since the only one with any connection is Diancie and that connection is a super bare bones "It's a mutated Carbink" with literally no additional info on how that works.

I see what you both are talking about. I agree that if Hoopa had a Pokémon Lab / Ilex Forest equivalent it would have been more immersive. Still, that's one omission I'm willing to forgive considering they designed a whole gameplay feature around it. It could have had more context, but that doesn't change that it was a pretty solid design.

GoldStarz, I'm right there with you regarding Game Freak's unwillingness to give lore to Mythicals lately. Pokémon like Volcanion and Marshadow feel completely non-existent in the games. But do you really think they treated Darkrai or pre-ORAS Deoxys better than Hoopa? Those single-room events are fine, but I think Hoopa's rings were a big step up from them, a more effective and subtle communication of Hoopa's powers. That said, I do wish they would at least return to the single-room events rather than what we got with Diancie, Volcanion, Magearna, and Marshadow.

36 Sub-Legendary Pokémon
20 Legendary Pokémon
18 Mythical Pokémon

I know that this is based on the games' coding, but "sub-Legendary" is a non-existent term in the Pokémon canon. They are coded like this to simplify their treatment as a group in competitions. Coding doesn't dictate lore. It's ultimately a matter of semantics, as Ultra Beasts are equivalent to Legendary Pokémon, but I feel using the term "Legendary" to describe UBs is missing the point. They may as well turn out to be a new class of Pokémon we'll see more of in the future.

I'm not sure about Phione either. In most story-sensitive cases, it's not displayed as a Mythical Pokémon. For example, the recent TPC lore site doesn't include it. It's only ever implied to be Mythical in mechanics-focused contexts and borderline unofficial western sources. I suppose it could be seen as "Mythical by proxy", but from a storyline standpoint, it's closer to Carbink than Cosmog/Cosmoem and Type: Null.

What is your baseline for a 'Sub-Legend'? You're just kinda naming Pokemon at random. The actual distinction is somewhat arbitrary, and doesn't have a distinct definition; at this point, it's whatever GF designates as one.

JoeM86

I know that this is based on the games' coding, but "sub-Legendary" is a non-existent term in the Pokémon canon. They are coded like this to simplify their treatment as a group in competitions. Coding doesn't dictate lore. It's ultimately a matter of semantics, as Ultra Beasts are equivalent to Legendary Pokémon, but I feel using the term "Legendary" to describe UBs is missing the point. They may as well turn out to be a new class of Pokémon we'll see more of in the future.

I'm not sure about Phione either. In most story-sensitive cases, it's not displayed as a Mythical Pokémon. For example, the recent TPC lore site doesn't include it. It's only ever implied to be Mythical in mechanics-focused contexts and borderline unofficial western sources. I suppose it could be seen as "Mythical by proxy", but from a storyline standpoint, it's closer to Carbink than Cosmog/Cosmoem and Type: Null.
That's correct, all Sub-Legends are categorised as Legendary Pokémon officially, as we saw yesterday with Silvally.

However, the sublegend category in game code is an easier way of explaining it

I'm still waiting for gamefreak to announce an "interruption-free" mode. Selecting it will make you fall into a wormhole in the beginning of the game. You'll arrive in an alternative Alola where the entire story doesn't exist. You will be able to travel across Alola free of annoyingly happy npcs bothering you everywhere you go and make your own story instead.

Sandbox Mode from Dead Rising

I'd be okay with that.

Having 23 new legendaries in one gen after just six in XY (three at launch) is so bizarre.

They reused the birds and Mewtwo for the trio and postgame legendary, respectively in XY which was strange.

I do remember people complaining about the number of legendaries in Gen 4 specifically. I guess a lot of people consider Ultra Beasts to be their own thing so you don't see as many complaints.

Keinning

legendary pokemon are for casuals

gimme more shitmon, i want gen 8 ledyba
crawbominable wasnt enough to satiate my love for crappy pokemon

Delio

People really don't like story in these games huh? Man Gen 8 will suck for them. Pretty sure gamefreak is going to pump it up storywise with more power to do so.

Keinning

I want more alternates evolutions similar to the ones introduced in gen 4.

i want them to commit to crossevos again

everyone knows drampa is dunsparces evolution and alolomola is luvdiscs evolution, just do it already GF

make megamawile and megaudino regular evolutions as well

JoeM86

i want them to commit to crossevos again

everyone knows drampa is dunsparces evolution and alolomola is luvdiscs evolution, just do it already GF

make megamawile and megaudino regular evolutions as well

A Mega Mawile with the ability to use an item would be disgusting

ash_ag

That's correct, all Sub-Legends are categorised as Legendary Pokémon officially, as we saw yesterday with Silvally.

However, the sublegend category in game code is an easier way of explaining it

My point is that the "SubLegend" label is a little bit shady. From a lore standpoint, we've always known the Legendary Birds and Beasts are Legendary (the very term "Legendary Pokémon" arguably derives from the Birds), for example, and yet they appear under "SubLegend" in coding. By the same token, "SubLegend" may also be used informally for the UBs. It's basically Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3.

It's great that they disambiguated Type: Null / Silvally, but I still think UBs may turn out to be a separate group from Legendaries in the same way Mythicals are. No one doubts that UBs aren't "regular" 'mons, but until TPC directly calls them "Legendary", I wouldn't use that term to describe them.

whats with Japan and the word Ultra?
Ultra Beast is still one of the dumbest sounding names but after hearing them talk about Ultra changes, Ultra Warp Rides and Ultra Holes I have to just laugh

JoeM86

My point is that the "SubLegend" label is a little bit shady. From a lore standpoint, we've always known the Legendary Birds and Beasts are Legendary (the very term "Legendary Pokémon" arguably derives from the Birds), for example, and yet they appear under "SubLegend" in coding. By the same token, "SubLegend" may also be used informally for the UBs. It's basically Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3.

It's great that they disambiguated Type: Null / Silvally, but I still think UBs may turn out to be a separate group from Legendaries in the same way Mythicals are. No one doubts that UBs aren't "regular" 'mons, but until TPC directly calls them "Legendary", I wouldn't use that term to describe them.

You're comparing what are essentially fan groupings with a grouping set by Game Freak here.

Ultra Beast is just an official designation of this group of sub-legendary Pokémon. You're reading way too much into it.

Ravelle

Ultra Hoooole.

I got bored fast with Pokemon Y and AS. Hopefully this one is interesting enough to keep me interested.

Keinning

A Mega Mawile with the ability to use an item would be disgusting

of course balancing would be needed and of course i dont trust GF to do it right but eh. what is one more broken mon in the basket of broken mons anyway if it means throwing megaevolutions away

i just want to rock my eviolite dunsparce

People really don't like story in these games huh? Man Gen 8 will suck for them. Pretty sure gamefreak is going to pump it up storywise with more power to do so.

Story is fine but the problem (at least for me, everyone else is different) is sun and moon's story doesn't even come close to Gen V's. So it becomes more a chore to read through boring and uninteresting dialogue.

Keinning

story is fine when it doesnt get in the way of your usual gameplay and/or can be skipped. and the friends in XY/the cutscenes in SM got in the way A LOOOT and made replaying the game a chore.

It's not the story that's the problem, but the frequency of interuptions in gameplay because of it. SM at many points felt like you were just being dragged from checkpoint to checkpoint to watch Kukui, Hau, or Lillie blab about some stuff.

LotusHD

Banned
Story is fine but the problem (at least for me, everyone else is different) is sun and moon's story doesn't even come close to Gen V's. So it becomes more a chore to read through boring and uninteresting dialogue.

Disagree, this has easily been the best one yet imo, though admittedly it's pretty much only Gen VII and Gen V that have actually tried

It's not the story that's the problem, but the frequency of interuptions in gameplay because of it. SM at many points felt like you were just being dragged from checkpoint to checkpoint to watch Kukui, Hau, or Lillie blab about some stuff.

serendipity was always a thing in pokemon games with characters popping out at at convenient locations, and it was kind of endearing back in the day with the rival just appearing to trash talk and battle you.

but S/M really cranked that up and made it something to dread with all the text. Doesnt help that the story was fucking insipid and the ultra beasts turned out to be a real shitshow.

ash_ag

You're comparing what are essentially fan groupings with a grouping set by Game Freak here.

Ultra Beast is just an official designation of this group of sub-legendary Pokémon. You're reading way too much into it.

Legendaries is not a "fan grouping". It's a term that has been used explicitly across the games and anime. UBs are equivalent to Legendary, but unlike the Guardian Deities and Silvally, Game Freak has never referred to them as Legendary. Not at this stage anyway. If I'm missing some recent mention, feel free to correct me.

I know it's semantics, but I'm hesitant to apply the term for them until Game Freak confirms it for good. For all we know, there may be more Ultra Beasts in Gen 8, separate from the regular Legendaries, and still following their unique design principles, their otherworldly origin and their appearance in flocks.

I don't hate the story in SM. I just hate how the game doesn't leave you alone. I remember entering diglett's cave or whatever it is called in SM and immediately running into Hau, who tells me that there are diglett in this cave. You don't say! I wonder how he would like it if I walked up to him in a malasada restaurant to inform him they sell malasada there? And this stuff happens on every route, too. If it isn't Hau, Lillie or Kukui, it's some random schmuck telling you how to pick up berries. Bah. It kills all the sense of adventure and discovery.

The story is fun and the characters are back to gen 5 standards. I'm happy about it, not every game needs to be a simulator or open world.

The world feels more alive when the characters actually interact with each other and do stuff like Hala fighting Buzzwole. I never got to care about XY's gym leaders because they were just static characters locked in gyms.

Top Bottom