• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Activision Uses Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

hollomat

Banned
No direct examples, but it states that Activision is using them.

It says that, but I don’t think it’s true.

Only Activision game I can think of that would implement them this way currently is COD. And I don’t think COD is doing this.

Like I said I could be wrong, but it seems to me they just read the patent and made the assumption Activision is using it. If they actually had any evidence they would’ve included it in the article.

SoulUnison

Banned
if Activision can do you this, you tryna tell me Blizz doesn't try to force parity with their matchmaking?.... shiiiit

At the very least, there's literally nothing that comes out of Overwatch loot boxes that affects player performance. Everything is 100% cosmetic.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that some people are vulnerable to this kind of scheme even when it's just a cool looking skin they feel they have to have.

I'm struggling to muster much anger or any other strong emotion over this.

What terrifies me however is thinking of how similar tactics are used to influence other areas of life like politics, finance and healthcare

spad3

As a Psych major going into Marketing, I think this is fucking BRILLIANT.

As a gamer, I think this is scummy as fuck and it's a practice that should be dropped immediately.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While this sounds pretty scummy, we as consumers are constantly being manipulated to buy things, even supermarkets do it. It's a minefield out there.

While it is scummy. Is still interesting to see the science of consumerism in videogames and how constantly is changing according to user feedback.

It says that, but I don’t think it’s true.

Only Activision game I can think of that would implement them this way currently is COD. And I don’t think COD is doing this.

Like I said I could be wrong, but it seems to me they just read the patent and made the assumption Activision is using it. If they actually had any evidence they would’ve included it in the article.
You called it.

Im not suprised they do this. The games are designed in a way where it will just happen naturally anyway without this. You will run into that player wih the special unlock you cant have constantly.

Bluenoser

I've already committed to avoiding Activision and their bullshit, but this is the nail in the coffin. They will never get another penny from me. COD can get fucked.

Keratay

Neo Member
I know this is a horrible thing to put into practice but gosh darn it this sort of manipulation is so smart I can't help but be impressed.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I know this is a horrible thing to put into practice but gosh darn it this sort of manipulation is so smart I can't help but be impressed.

Same. I was thinking, "this so devious but damn! Evil genius marketing ploy."

Also, OP might want to add the statement for clarity's sake.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so now we're supposed to pretend like we don't know how we got here and Activision is suddenly doing something crazy, when people have been defending every instance of these microtransactions every time they come up and giving people money for these games

these companies will always, ALWAYS push things to the breaking point

we tried to tell y'all, but noooo "they're just cosmetics" or "if you don't like them just don't buy them" or "it doesn't matter that much, the game is still fun"

it's only going to get worse, too.

frontovik

Banned
so now we're supposed to pretend like we don't know how we got here and Activision is suddenly doing something crazy, when people have been defending every instance of these microtransactions every time they come up and giving people money for these games

we tried to tell y'all, but noooo "they're just cosmetics" or "if you don't like them just don't buy them" or "it doesn't matter that much, the game is still fun"

Well, they're going to get defensive and tell you to not tell them how to spend their money.

At the end of the day, one can only vote with the wallet.

MUnited83

For you.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. CoD had gameplay altering MTs for like 3 or 4 titles now, it was never "just cosmetics" in Activision's case. If you've been worried about Activision pulling bullshit they have done that for a long time. Here's a solution: don't buy their damn games. This "oh this thing will be evil in the future" is a dumb argument. Shit, you could do that argument with regular DLC as well.

Agreed, but standard content gated DLC was worse, especially when it came to multiplayer games. This is the better of two evils. it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. The market decided which they wanted. Now it'll be up to consumers being more skeptical... to keep it in check. We'll see how that goes, I don't have high hopes.

VariantX

That's kind of f-ed up. Matching players with that kind of gap in both ability and loadouts seems to be the opposite of what you want to do if you wanted everyone playing to have the best experience playing your games.

Their matchmaking isn't really good enough to begin with to be able to afford taking the extra hit from gimping it to hawk shinies. If you're basically just running an elo system you've got a razor thin margin to play with there before everything goes completely to pot.

Owensboro

If I were matched with a much better player who was using highly effective weapons bought through microtransactions, my reaction wouldn't be to also buy those weapons.

Instead, I'd quit playing the game for its piss-poor matchmaking.

If they were your opponent, sure. But imagine they're on your team, and the game highlights that's they're SO GOOD, and shows you their load out, and you think "man, I'd be better if I had THOSE guns."

It's golf. They're finding a way to sell (videogame) clubs to idiots (normal people like me) watching the pro tour who want to chip 3 feet from the pin and think it's the club doing it.

So yes, scummy (but holy shit good business).

(yes I'm normal. No, wait, I'm an idiot. I'm normal for an idiot!)

mreddie

Remember 2 years ago, we thought EA/Acti gained sanity?

Good times.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

tenor.gif

Don't they think the good players in return will quit since they're playing with what basically amounts to cannon fodder? But yeah, this is pretty bad.

Dryk

It says a lot about the industry that we have all this amazing analytics technology, that we could use to adjust games on the fly to deliver the intended experience to players regardless of their skill level, personality, etc. But in the end the intended experience is peer pressure so you give the publisher money.

Kalentan

If it's in Infinite Warfare it's not noticeable. Getting variants and the challenge guns is so easy that it would honestly be worthless.

Banzai

That does sound scummy, but isn't it kind of a leap to assume the new player would want to buy the weapon the veteran has instead of being discouraged to keep playing at all?
Eh, do what you like Activision, I don't buy your games anyway (avatar quote).

Froxenblade

Neo Member
I hate that there is just so much more room/potential for this type of gross behavior in games than any other industry. Well, at least any other media industry. I just get so discouraged by an industry that is always testing how much they can get away with. I know other industries are/would be the same if it was applicable, but games just inherently have so many different ways of fucking over fans/consumers.

Top Bottom