• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

I rewatched the Geese trailer for like the 20th time and that SHIT IS STILL HYPE.

I really didn't like playing Akuma because felt like I was playing SF and if I wanted to play SF then I would play SF but FUCKING GEESE is a whole different story.

Astral

I'm ashamed of this but I have a really hard time beating King low kick spammers. I get that I can parry after a block and that I can launch punish after I think the third kick, but what about when he mixes it up with the punches?

Doomshine

I'm ashamed of this but I have a really hard time beating King low kick spammers. I get that I can parry after a block and that I can launch punish after I think the third kick, but what about when he mixes it up with the punches?

All the kicks are -25 and the punches are -15 so most characters can launch them. If you pay attention and the connection is not terrible you should be able to react and block the punches.

Assuming we're talking about the Ali kicks here. If you don't get counterhit on the first low you don't have much to fear from it.

1) You can block the follow-up lows after being hit by the first one (assuming you weren't CH), but you can't LP after being hit.
2) You can LP after blocking.
3) The punch follow-up is blockable even if you eat all of the lows.
4) The punch is also launch punishable.

When you know how it works you can better prepare yourself for how to deal with it factoring in their attack patterns.

If you know you're up against the type of opponent who's gonna use this, try sniffing it out ahead of time. Get a read on when they like to use it and try to nullify it with a LP before you even get mixed up. Spacing it out is even better/easier. Stay outside of its range and they will feel less compelled to use it, or they'll whiff and you can kill them.

rulerk1

Treasure battle is just not ok. Why they thought that was a good replacement I'll never know. Rip my fav mode though I guess online is just as good....

Astral

Assuming we're talking about the Ali kicks here. If you don't get counterhit on the first low you don't have much to fear from it.

1) You can block the follow-up lows after being hit by the first one (assuming you weren't CH), but you can't LP after being hit.
2) You can LP after blocking.
4) The punch is also launch punishable.

When you know how it works you can better prepare yourself for how to deal with it factoring in their attack patterns.

If you know you're up against the type of opponent who's gonna use this, try sniffing it out ahead of time. Get a read on when they like to use it and try to nullify it with a LP before you even get mixed up. Spacing it out is even better/easier. Stay outside of its range and they will feel less compelled to use it, or they'll whiff and you can kill them.

Thanks this helps. Once I was paying attention I was consistently low parrying this guy's kicks but once he started doing to punch I just kinda lost my groove. Then I kept trying to predict low kicks and eating mids. I should've just eaten the first low kick and blocked the second, then react to whatever he threw out next. In my head I've got it down but it's hard for me to put into practice in the heat of the moment.

Nuszka

Not sure why, probably because he looks so bloody cool in t7, i started playing Lee since last week exclusively. Never played the character before in any installment. Did my research on tekkenzaibatsu. The start was though, there wasn't much damage without doing the b2 loops for wall carry, so had to work on that. Im pretty happy with myself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByqrU_II_4U
edit: p1 side is easier for me in performing loops on pad , but i always deliberately put myself on the other side, best way to train imo

The punch is guaranteed if the third low kick hits.

But yeah, it's a low damage, vaguely seeable mixup that you can punish with a full launch with most characters.

If you get your punishment on point and don't get tilted and guess right even occasionally, it's terribly unfavorable for the King.

Onemic

I think im gonna be playing exclusively in the lab for a few weeks. With dropping Kazuya Im all the way back at square one. I realized I actually improved the most during the first two weeks of the game when I was pretty much only practicing.

AllenShrz

After playing the pc version pretty much all the time and then go back to the ps4 ver, is just like going back to the past.

1080p is too muddy, the loading times are atrocious (even though my ps4 pro has any ssd), net code is not as good...

After playing the pc version pretty much all the time and then go back to the ps4 ver, is just like going back to the past.

1080p is too muddy, the loading times are atrocious (even though my ps4 pro has any ssd), net code is not as good...

How does the arcade version compare to the PC version in term of input delay? did anyone there try to take some data and compare it with the home versions?

mooncakes

The more I play this game,the more I don't understand this game. Everytime when I play with Eliza, I always do unsafe launchers, random ex dp and it help reached me the warrior scrub rank. When I play Raven, the struggle is real. I can even't get out the blue noob rank with her.

GrayFoxPL

The more I play this game,the more I don't understand this game. Everytime when I play with Eliza, I always do unsafe launchers, random ex dp and it help reached me the warrior scrub rank. When I play Raven, the struggle is real. I can even't get out the blue noob rank with her.

Because you play character totally unfamiliar to 95% of opponents. Raven is known for over a decade.

Perineum

I don't think that's true. I've had an opponent where I know I accepted on my end, and we got the connection lost. He sent me a message asking why I took the win and ran. I told him I didn't and that the game is trash atpQuan.

So no, it will just shit out.

Onemic

it will occasionally shit out but much more often than not, it's because the other player denied the request.

What Namco has to do is differentiate a connection lost due to server message and a denied request for a match/revenge match message. They used to do this before the 1.04 patch where you would get "request could not be sent" if the opponent denied your request and "opponent connection lost" if the server crapped out. Now it just shows the latter in both situations.

CSX

it will occasionally shit out but much more often than not, it's because the other player denied the request.

What Namco has to do is differentiate a connection lost due to server message and a denied request for a match/revenge match message. They used to do this before the 1.04 patch where you would get "request could not be sent" if the opponent denied your request and "opponent connection lost" if the server crapped out. Now it just shows the latter in both situations.

I have tested this before the 1.04 patch with a friend sitting next to me on his laptop and connected to the same router as me on my desktop.

You would get both messages if the connection failed even though the connecting player accepted the match.

The different messages really didn't mean anything. I guess that's why now it's only one error message lol.

Nuszka

So I have discovered an interesting pattern when it comes to connection issues on PS4 ,EU region in my instance. While entering matchmaking either from menu or post game the first player I matchmake tends in most cases prompt the connection lost error. But sometimes I do get synched up in the first moment of entering matchmaking and these connections which even are at 5 bars tend to disconnect mid game. So what I'm doing now is that when entering matchmaking I skip the first opponent and always go for second , no issues whatsoever with mid game connection losses.

Sayad

indeed :/

game really should display some little points display there like "you won 1 out of 3, continue!"
to encourage playing best of 3 in ranked :D
Tekken announcer should also shout "Chicken!" whenever someone refuse the rematch before a best of 3 is done.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I stumbled on Xiaoyu's rage art command by pure accident, then got the two related rage art achievements shortly thereafter. Feels good, man.

I should go into practice mode, get that achievement and get more into the meat of the system.

Onemic

I have tested this before the 1.04 patch with a friend sitting next to me on his laptop and connected to the same router as me on my desktop.

You would get both messages if the connection failed even though the connecting player accepted the match.

The different messages really didn't mean anything. I guess that's why now it's only one error message lol.

sigh...

Fought a few matches against a King that only knew how to do a launcher combo and the big damaging throw and the low kicks, not much else. Also used Rage Art as soon as he thought I was gonna go for something.

But I didn't mind cause he was wearing the Rainmaker outfit. Good on you bud!

AAK

I was doing some testing yesterday, was in practice mode playing Miguel against Steve and learned the super armor doesn't activate until 8-9 frames into the move. When Steve was +3 and then jabbed, Miguel's super didn't activate, the jab from Steve interrupted in time before any armor could absorb the super. When Steve was +1 and then jabbed, the Super would successfully activate and armor through the jab.

I don't know if other characters have different startup frames for their super activation(s).

I was doing some testing yesterday, was in practice mode playing Miguel against Steve and learned the super armor doesn't activate until 8-9 frames into the move. When Steve was +3 and then jabbed, Miguel's super didn't activate, the jab from Steve interrupted in time before any armor could absorb the super. When Steve was +1 and then jabbed, the Super would successfully activate and armor through the jab.

I don't know if other characters have different startup frames for their super activation(s).
Jin has the fastest Rage Art in the game I believe, you should probably test him with the same circumstances.

Dereck

I matched up against a Juggernaut Lee and got a promotion chance to Vanquisher for Bryan, six times, six.

On the sixth promotion chance I got really close and choked, I think we were both on a slither of health and I hit him with a low, but we were both standing in front of a wall, basically the sides of our bodies were next to a wall. I ducked and he did a rage drive, if I would have just blocked I would have won by timeout.

I lost every single promotion chance, we went back and forth on wins and losses for a solid 40 minutes, when I was about to get a seventh promotion chance, the guy win quits me. Couldn't blame anyone but me for what happened.

I got the promotion eventually but it was opening my eyes to how much I was learning about the game after that 40 minute death match.

Infinite death match is great, I think primarily for learning to fight against a single character around your skill level.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Fought a few matches against a King that only knew how to do a launcher combo and the big damaging throw and the low kicks, not much else. Also used Rage Art as soon as he thought I was gonna go for something.

But I didn't mind cause he was wearing the Rainmaker outfit. Good on you bud!

That appears to be 90% of Kings online. Only most of them don't have the decency of donning the Okada costume.

sasuke_91

Jin has the fastest Rage Art in the game I believe, you should probably test him with the same circumstances.

I think Steve's RA is the fastest, I could be wrong though. It comes out at 13 frames.

I matched up against a Juggernaut Lee and got a promotion chance to Vanquisher for Bryan, six times, six.

On the sixth promotion chance I got really close and choked, I think we were both on a slither of health and I hit him with a low, but we were both standing in front of a wall, basically the sides of our bodies were next to a wall. I ducked and he did a rage drive, if I would have just blocked I would have won by timeout.

I lost every single promotion chance, we went back and forth on wins and losses for a solid 40 minutes, when I was about to get a seventh promotion chance, the guy win quits me. Couldn't blame anyone but me for what happened.

I got the promotion eventually but it was opening my eyes to how much I was learning about the game after that 40 minute death match.

Infinite death match is great, I think primarily for learning to fight against a single character around your skill level.

Yeah, deathmatch is really great. It's rare that I find people around my level in ranked, but I realized that I need way too much time to analyze my opponent's playstyle. Most of the time when I lose a match and they accept a rematch I turn the tables and come out as the winner. Would be great if I managed to do that in the first match as well.

Dereck

Yeah, deathmatch is really great. It's rare that I find people around my level in ranked, but I realized that I need way too much time to analyze my opponent's playstyle. Most of the time when I lose a match and they accept a rematch I turn the tables and come out as the winner. Would be great if I managed to do that in the first match as well.
If the opponent is around your skill level, in my experience the death match should be really annoying, solely because you can beat him/her and he/she can beat you, the skill level isn't wide enough for consistent wins.

The Lee was a decent player and I had less and less tools to use to open him up since he wasn't falling for my more simple setups and mixups, eventually I resorted to just poking. If I'm gonna poke the guy eventually he went for higher risk mixups out of desperation.

Onemic

Jin and Steve are tied for fastest RA, they both have 13 frame startup. And if Im not mistaken every RA in the game gains super armor at 8 frames.

sasuke_91

If the opponent is around your skill level, in my experience the death match should be really annoying, solely because you can beat him/her and he/she can beat you, the skill level isn't wide enough for consistent wins.

The Lee was a decent player and I had less and less tools to use to open him up since he wasn't falling for my more simple setups and mixups, eventually I resorted to just poking. If I'm gonna poke the guy eventually he went for higher risk mixups out of desperation.

You're right. In Ranked matches, you want to win as quickly and with as little resistance as possible. Playing someone at your skill level is the exact opposite.

Alisas is i13 as well, all three are high.

Yup, makes sense.

maomaoIYP

Finally got around to playing more ranked. I guess at low levels ranked is heavily populated with characters that get a full combo off a low launcher? I can't even block Bryan's d/f+3 on reaction online and it's 27 frames. It feels super unsatisfying and frustrating as heck.

sasuke_91

Finally got around to playing more ranked. I guess at low levels ranked is heavily populated with characters that get a full combo off a low launcher? I can't even block Bryan's d/f+3 on reaction online and it's 27 frames. It feels super unsatisfying and frustrating as heck.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to go through the low ranks by doing nothing but that.
If you can't block those moves and your opponent relies heavily on them, try to lock him down. Those moves are so slow that he won't be able to use them if you poke him to death up close. There's also hopkicks that crush lows.

YEgYMS4.gif

Nuszka

KingJae is playing on his stream against a Devil Jin player who is back dashing and light dashing back and forth , never on any stream or vid I have seen someone with such perfect movement.

Top Bottom