• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller would be nice

Gestault

I'm a little bummed they're taking so long. After the 360 controller ended up being so clutch with so many PC titles last time around because of its ease of connection, this seems like an excessive wait.

I'm a little bummed they're taking so long. After the 360 controller ended up being so clutch with so many PC titles last time around because of its ease of connection, this seems like an excessive wait.

I can't recall, how long was the wait between the launch of the 360 and the PC drivers coming out?

I'll share more after the dates have been announced. I can only say, taken for what it's worth, this was not a secondary or sloppy effort.

Since someone asked I checked my old emails - we had PC drivers for Xbox 360 ready for wired controller pretty close after launch in 2005. Problem was, very few games supported it back then (used as a generic HID device with key mapping) but it took a while for rumble and analog sticks to really gain traction.

The wireless adapter shipped over a year later.

eso76

was just thinking of FINALLY grabbing a wireless receiver since i've never gotten around to doing so and have 4 x360 controllers sitting here but i think i might wait a little longer at this point :p

Chettlar

Banned
I'll share more after the dates have been announced. I can only say, taken for what it's worth, this was not a secondary or sloppy effort.

Since someone asked I checked my old emails - we had PC drivers for Xbox 360 ready for wired controller pretty close after launch in 2005. Problem was, very few games supported it back then (used as a generic HID device with key mapping) but it took a while for rumble and analog sticks to really gain traction.

The wireless adapter shipped over a year later.

Having taken this long, I would assume so. I do appreciate Microsoft's pretty stringent quality control.

shanew21

When I first started using the XB1 controller I wasn't a huge fan of the bumpers, but as I've gotten used to them and they've loosened up a bit I can say without a doubt that the XB1 controller is better than the 360's. Improvements in all areas. Can't wait for these drivers.

Duxxy3

Gave away my 360 controller. Swapped away my PS4 controllers.

I could really use those XB1 drivers at some point.

arhra

So if I have perfectly working x360 wireless pad with the play and charge kit and wireless dongle, is the new one worthy upgrade anyway ? From what I read the biggest improvement is DPad (which I use rarely and for nonimportant functions) and trigger rumble, which I am not sure if it actually will be supported in PC games.
If your current pad is working fine (no stick drift, no annoyingly squeaky triggers, or any of the other issues that 360 pads all seem to manifest eventually), then I'd probably not waste the money on an X1 pad.

The X1 pad is an improvement in just about every way (in my opinion, anyway; some things, like the bumpers, are pretty divisive), but the 360 pad is still a damn good controller, and nothing's going to support the extra features of the X1 pad for a while anyway (assuming the drivers come with some kind of updated XInput2 API that lets PC games access them, it'll likely still be a while before that gets included in new games/patched into old ones).

Either way, I'd recommend trying to get some quality hands-on time with it before buying one anyway (quality as in a couple of hours with an actual game, not five minutes fondling a demo station), since you can't tell if you'll like it without properly using it.

And if I buy wireless Xbone controller, will it actually work wirelessly with the PC? Is there some dongle included ?

Nope, no dongle yet. You can hook them up to a PC via USB (the pad actually switches over to wired mode when plugged in, rather than the cable just being for charging like the 360 pads, and the connector is standard micro-usb, so any spare cable you've got will work), but if you want wireless, you'll have to wait for them to release a dongle, either as a stand-alone item, or bundled with the controller as part of the inevitable "Xbox One Controller for Windows" package.

Gestault

I can't recall, how long was the wait between the launch of the 360 and the PC drivers coming out?

My recollection is seriously that it was plug-in-play from the start, for the wired controller. I can't be sure though, because I didn't have one until a little after launch.

I highly, highly recommend the DS4 xinput wrapper. I bought a $15 bluetooth adapter just to make it more useful, and it's a dream. If you're sitting away from your computer, the trackpad mouse is a gift from god/the internet.

theytookourjobz

I highly, highly recommend the DS4 xinput wrapper. I bought a $15 bluetooth adapter just to make it more useful, and it's a dream. If you're sitting away from your computer, the trackpad mouse is a gift from god/the internet.

Does DS4 work with all games? Xinput just turns it into a 360 pad, right?

Madness

And this is why I post very rarely. That's way too close to true.

Haha, yeah, industry professionals, insiders and devs all walk on eggshells whenever they post these days. Look how many have to word things very carefully on twitter because people can twist words pretty quick. Even recently, Frank from 343 Industries said here that he was pretty disappointed someone would try and leak Halo 5 info or share information under embargo and other sites ran it as "Halo 5 top boss furious at insiders breaking embargoes".

openrob

What I don't understand AT ALL is why Microsoft - who have a massive consumer population on PC don't capitalize on it as much.

Why not get the drivers out and sell more expensive hardware to people who are willing to pay/play?

Derp

I bought the Titanfall Xbox One controller as soon as it was available, purely for my PC... The wait is killing me. I could use my PS3 controller but I dislike unofficial support (which is why I didn't buy a PS4 controller).

So now I've got an Xbox One controller sitting on my desk being useless. And what makes it worse is the menu button on my controller is rotated at a slight angle. Just wanted to cry when I noticed it. Dat manufacturing fault.

derFeef

Looking forward to it, really weird for me to use the 360 pad on PC when I have my One controler in my hands when I play on console. It is so much more comfy.

I would certainly like to see this, I'll buy two controllers (and a dongle, if needed). I just hope they make sure that full compatibility is there for the existing Xbox 360 controller-supported games. Otherwise it's pretty much useless to me.

molnizzle

You need to use the DS4 Xinput wrapper http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

The reason you think it is 'wonky' is your computer is detecting the DS4 as direct input which isn't always compatible.

Make sure you have every other controller unplugged from your computer. Better yet, post a picute of control panel > hardware > printers.

That's already way too much futzing compared to the official 360 dongle.

Steps to install your wireless 360 pad under Windows 8:

1.) Plug in dongle
2.) Turn on controller
3.) Play all controller-enabled PC games with no additional tinkering

I can't wait for the official Xbone drivers. I'll buy a second Xbone controller just for PC so I don't have to re-pair every time I play my Xbone.

Microsoft is the indifferent, absentee father to an entire generation of PC gamers, a father who left our mothers for a slimmer, hotter model.

Now our mother is bringing around this new guy, "Phil," and he says he wants to be our friend but after Mom's disastrous fling with "Don," we're just not as trusting as we used to be.

So good.

LAA

Hmm something interesting and cool coming for X1 drivers....very interested.....

Have no idea what that could be, other than rumble trigger support, which I would sorta expect really.

Will be keeping an eye out for the news ;)

derFeef

Hmm something interesting and cool coming for X1 drivers....very interested.....

Have no idea what that could be, other than rumble trigger support, which I would sorta expect really.

Will be keeping an eye out for the news ;)

"Works also without dongle via Wifi!"

I have no clue about stuff like that ;)

LAA

"Works also without dongle via Wifi!"

I have no clue about stuff like that ;)

Ha ha, in fairness that'd be cool alone for me!
Bluetooth would be cooler, but I think X1 controllers don't support bluetooth... I think it uses Wi-i direct, but not really sure what that is....ha ha.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish Sony would put out drivers for Windows for DS4 tbh...

Yeah, if Sony did this I imagine more developers/publishers would be willing to officially support it, complete with DS button prompts. Thus far the only game I'm aware of that natively supports the DS4 is Transistor.

Denton

If your current pad is working fine (no stick drift, no annoyingly squeaky triggers, or any of the other issues that 360 pads all seem to manifest eventually), then I'd probably not waste the money on an X1 pad.

The X1 pad is an improvement in just about every way (in my opinion, anyway; some things, like the bumpers, are pretty divisive), but....
Thanks for info. I guess I will keep 360pad for a bit longer. It would be nice if xbonepad supported dongle from 360pad, so I wouldn't have to rebuy it when I switch later. Wireless is a must for me since I play PC games on a TV steambox style.

klodeckel

Banned
The Xbox One Controller does not use WiFi Direct. Source.

Major Nelson said:
The Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct for any of it's communication. The controller uses a proprietary wireless communication protocol that is optimized for gameplay and voice chat.
Xbox One does support WiFi Direct but that is for things like SmartGlass
This means: if there ever will be a wireless solution (which will come for sure) - either a dongle is needed (like with the Xbox 360 Controller) or a version spec. for PC (which I doubt).

I may be wrong, but I think when Albert said they want to do it "right" - they might release a dongle in time. Just some thoughts :)

Chettlar

Banned
The Xbox One Controller does not use WiFi Direct. Source.

This means: if there ever will be a wireless solution (which will come for sure) - either a dongle is needed (like with the Xbox 360 Controller) or a version spec. for PC (which I doubt).

I may be wrong, but I think when Albert said they want to do it "right" - they might release a dongle in time. Just some thoughts :)

I hope they release one. I'll probably get a play and charge kit bundle, but being able to play wireless would be great.

Jesb

I'm not sure of the legitimacy of this. But just seen a tweet from a gaming site with over 20k followers to expect an announcement on this at E3.

SURGEdude

Any word on if the existing dongle for PC wireless will be usable with my existing XB1 controllers? Would love not to have to buy any more gear taking up space and USB ports.

Zumi

Neo Member
Will this Xbox One controller require another wireless usb adapter since XB1 uses different protocol then 360?

Top Bottom