• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2017 the best year for games since 1998?

This is just one genre in 2007:

Half-Life_2_Episode_Two_title.jpg
256px-Crysis_Cover.jpg
256px-BioShock_cover.jpg
250px-Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.jpg
250px-Halo_3_final_boxshot.JPG
Unreal_Tournament_3.jpg
250px-Tf2_standalonebox.jpg
256px-Shadow_of_Chernobyl_cover.jpg
Metroid_Prime_3_Packaging.jpg
Enemy_Territory_Quake_Wars_Game_Cover.jpg
MoH_Airborne_cover_PC_DVD.jpg
Darkness_cover.jpg

Probably the best since 2001, especially for oldschool variety. I guess the only thing missing nowadays is a good arcade racer.

I still need to catch up on quite a few titles like Gravity Rush 2 and hopefully Hellblade and Sonic Mania eventually see physical releases.

I'm still looking forward to The Evil Within 2, for which they are saying all the right things after the lackluste first game, plus Metroid, Yakuza Kiwami and South Park.

It's been good, but I think I'd need more time for everything to sink in + there's still fall left before saying that. November and December look a bit dry at the moment but maybe more games for then just aren't dated yet.

I do definitely agree with an above post mentioning I've been playing a lot of games this year. It's pretty strong for quantity but yeah, I need to let some games simmer before determining "best ever". So far Sonic Mania, BOTW, and Splatoon 2 are my highlights.

we get two yakuza games this year so is the best year the medium has ever had

2016 had two Yakuza games.

Salvadora

Maybe a little too early to tell, but it's been really good so far:

-Breath of the Wild
-Horizon
-Yakuza 0
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Stormblood
-Sonic Mania
-Splatoon 2
-New 3D Mario
-Crash Bandicoot Revival
-Tekken 7
-Resident Evil VII

It's got something for everyone. I haven't had this much fun playing games since 1998. This year has been awesome.
You forgot Troll and I.

Sony

Nintendo
2004 and 2007 say hello.

Man, such a weird realization that there were just 3 years between 2004 and 2007.

It was also the start of the generation in which all the other genres were underrepresented outside of handhelds. I don't care about shooters and the other usual suspects of western AAA, so I found 2007 only okay.

Quite the broad generalization you have there: western AAA. Uncharted, Crackdown and Mass Effect all came out in 2007 yet they're the usual AAA to you...?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the only other year thats come close to topping 98 was 2011 with dark souls, battlefield 3 and skyrim this year is really great so far

even getting deadhold in a few more days a game like myth all i need now is for valve to release half life 3 out of nowhere and id say this would be the best year

Nintenleo

Amazing year for Nintendo and Sony.

But Microsoft's gonna get Cuphead so...it's probably gonna be at least better than 2016 for them too.

It's the best year for gaming for me personally...ever I think. Hell, just the first half of the year alone is probably still pretty damn close to the best year of gaming I've ever had.

Humdinger

Objectively, probably not.

Subjectively, it's been one of the best in a long time. Amazing diversity of gaming experiences, and one great game after another.

2002 had games such as NWN, Morrowind, Gothic 2, Kingdom Hearts, Icewind Dale 2, Arx Fatalis. Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, Warcraft 3, Hitman 2 , GTA: Vice City, Mafia, Metroid Prime, Ratchet and Clank, Dungeon Siege, No One Lives Forever 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Splinter Cell, Medieval: Total War...

These are games that are major hits, beginning of some major franchises, and the best games in the franchise to date. There's more that I haven't listed. 1998-2003 in general though are great years.

topplehat

Do these topics ever go anywhere conclusively? Don't mean to dump on this but every year is "the best year in gaming" it seems.

Its been a while since I could say I have struggled to keep up. The amount of high quality games have been outstanding and I just wish I wasn't adulting to enjoy it.

Yes without a doubt in my opinion. I can barely keep up, I still haven't played Nier.

1998's historical importance will probably never be topped since that's when 3D games finally came into their own, basically the gaming equivalent of the advent of sound in film. But in terms of sheer quality, 2017 is definitely the runner up.

Kazuhira

Best year in recent memory in my case,sooo many awesome games were released.
What happened in 1998 and 2004(RE4?) that they were so good?

-Breath of the Wild
-Horizon
-Yakuza 0
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Stormblood
-Sonic Mania
-Splatoon 2
-New 3D Mario
-Crash Bandicoot Revival
-Tekken 7

Ok, so this is 12 games. If you took the best 12 games from prior years, I feel like the inclusion of Stormblood, Crash Bandicoot, Persona 5 (isn't general consensus that this was definitely not a bad game but really disappointing?) and Splatoon 2 make this a pretty weak 12 to bring to the fight.

Also, this definitely wasn't the best year for Microsoft. According to the list, their big three for 2017 are Tekken 7, dlc for a 2016 game, and a downloadable Sonic title.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Best year in recent memory in my case,sooo many awesome games were released.
What happened in 1998 and 2004(RE4?) that they were so good?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming
resident evil 2
ocarina of time
mega man legends
metal gear solid
fallout 2
half life
unreal
tenchu
starcraft
panzer dragoon saga
grim fandango
xenogears
suikoden ii
banjo kazooie
marvel vs capcom
pokemon red/blue
baldur's gate

basically something monumental for everyone

Mark1

Agree with you in regards to Nintendo, if they keep to their release schedule then definitely.

Microsoft though I will disagree, they've had better years recently.

On a whole it has been pretty damn good though, but it also amazing in 2004.

I've been playing a lot of Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Sonic. And plan to get Metroid, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and maybe some PS4 games but depends on my wallet (and that the Switch is easier to play in between work hours lol)

-Breath of the Wild
-Horizon
-Yakuza 0
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Stormblood
-Sonic Mania
-Splatoon 2
-New 3D Mario
-Crash Bandicoot Revival
-Tekken 7

Ok, so this is 12 games. If you took the best 12 games from prior years, I feel like the inclusion of Stormblood, Crash Bandicoot, Persona 5 (isn't general consensus that this was definitely not a bad game but really disappointing?) and Splatoon 2 make this a pretty weak 12 to bring to the fight.

Also, this definitely wasn't the best year for Microsoft. According to the list, their big three for 2017 are Tekken 7, dlc for a 2016 game, and a downloadable Sonic title.

Why is there no Nioh on that list lol. It's the best PS4 exclusive since Bloodborne.

UberTag

There's certainly debate between other years when it comes to gaming quality but I'll be shocked if this doesn't wind up as the best year from this generation of gaming. So 2017 will wind up long remembered for that reason alone if nothing else.

Nah, 2017 is quite weak IMO. Nintendo haven`t showed anything so far (didn't like BoTW, Mario is a remaster and Splatoon... lol) and Sony is can only be considered good if you japanese games and generic open-worlds. MS is also really bad and even a PC great budget title is nowhere to be seen. This hasn`t been a great year so far and will end a quite forgettable one.

no its not. stop forcing it.

No one's forcing anything. It's not like this comes up so regularly every year. I think if anything this year is being underrated by many folks here. I've been gaming since 1991 and this is certainly one of the best years I've ever seen.

Great list, OP. I'd definitely add What Remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade, and Night in the Woods to that list as well.

Sweetloaf

It's the first year in a long time where I have a backlog to get through and games on pre-order.

That's without even considering the few "maybe" games i've been looking at:

Nioh,
The Surge,
Elite Dangerous (PS4)

Formosa

I would say 2016-2017 ya. Overwatch, Zelda, Mario, and the PS Exclusives.

Edit: we also got 4K gaming this year too, the graphics now is just another level.

All years are great!!

Even if there's no new release I want for that month, I still have fun catching up with my backlog. I guess you can say at this point in time there are more games to play than ever.

Nah, 2017 is quite weak IMO. Nintendo haven`t showed anything so far (didn't like BoTW, Mario is a remaster and Splatoon... lol) and Sony is can only be considered good if you japanese games and generic open-worlds. MS is also really bad and even a PC great budget title is nowhere to be seen. This hasn`t been a great year so far and will end a quite forgettable one.
What?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What was the year Bioshock 1 and all those games came out? 2007? I still remember that year being incredible.
EDIT: Top of page got it.

sotojuan

It's really weird that one of the years considered "best for gaming" is also one of the main gaming company's (Microsoft) worst year in a while, if not ever. Poor Phil!

Top Bottom