• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit just got real - FBI raiding college campuses arresting multiple coaches

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

The counts:
-Conspiracy to Commit Bribery
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Lamont Evans.
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Emanuel Richardson
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Anthony Bland
-Payments Of Bribes And Gratuities To An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood
-Conspiracy to commit Honest Services Fraud
-Honest Services Wire Fraud - University-2 and University-3
-Honest Services Wire Fraud - University-4
-Honest Services Wire Fraud - University-5
-Wire Fraud Conspiracy
-Travel Act Conspiracy

You sign a licensing deal with a major corporation to handle all of your apparel across all of your sports.

So if you sign with Nike you're a Nike School. If you sign it Adidas your an Adidas school. Under Armor ditto

And to add to that if its not clear, as an athlete under this license/contract, you are not "allowed" to wear other brands of apparel in public.

Some of the my friends who compete for D1 colleges can't wear Nike stuff if they are on with a Adidas school, and vice versa.

Hey FBI, taxpayer here, I don't give a shit about college sports hustles, please focus on actual dangerous stuff.

The FBI can walk and chew gum at the same time. You might not give a shit about a lot of things, but the FBI investigates it if it's the only agency that has the power to do it.

Exploiting children for unpaid labor at colleges and high level government fraud is obviously not being handled by the NCAA or the state education boards, and assuming that's what this investigation is centered on t's good that federal law enforcement can step in. No state law enforcement agency would do anything, because sports are sacrosanct in many of these states and there are direct ties between government and the athletic departments, heck, employees in athletic divisions at state colleges are typically the highest paid government employees in many states. So, if the highest paid government employees are committing widespread fraud which ultimately results in the exploitation of children or young adults, it's probably a good thing.

Assuming this is about major brands siphoning funds to universities for specific talent, especially if these are public, government-run universities (as many of the major sports programs are), the only law enforcement agency that can investigate this is the FBI.

The counts:
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Lamont Evans.
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Emanuel Richardson
-Solicitation Of Bribes And Gratuities By An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Anthony Bland
-Payments Of Bribes And Gratuities To An Agent Of A Federally Funded Organization - Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood
-Wire Fraud Conspiracy
-Travel Act Conspiracy

Jesus, it's like the sopranos, RICO PREDICATES

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was hoping this would be about sexual assault, or maybe player mistreatment...

Poor phrasing. I meant I was going the FBI uncovered and were tackling more Penn State-esque situations rather than sponsorship stuff. I dunno if the FBI has jurisdiction here but gos knows local law enforcement are not to be relied on in these cases.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The counts:
-Wire Fraud Conspiracy
-Travel Act Conspiracy

To follow this up

img_20170926_102613snyvd.jpg

highrider

Banned
The FBI can walk and chew gum at the same time. You might not give a shit about a lot of things, but the FBI investigates it if it's the only agency that has the power to do it.

Exploiting children for unpaid labor at colleges and high level government fraud is obviously not being handled by the NCAA or the state education boards, and assuming that's what this investigation is centered on t's good that federal law enforcement can step in. No state law enforcement agency would do anything, because sports are sacrosanct in many of these states and there are direct ties between government and the athletic departments, heck, employees in athletic divisions at state colleges are typically the highest paid government employees in many states.

Assuming this is about major brands siphoning funds to universities for specific talent, especially if these are public, government-run universities (as many of the major sports programs are), the only law enforcement agency that can investigate this is the FBI.

I’m not debating their authority, just seems like a victimless crime. I mean, does anyone not know there is corruption in college sports?

Wow this should be fascinating! Luckily for me all of my college teams that I follow (4) suck in both bball and football, so if they get implicated it can be a cheap housecleaning via morality clauses without destroying good products.
You've almost got to try to pick 4 schools that are all bad in both revenue sports.

shandy706

Meanwhile the University of North Carolina continues to get away with past Championships and players that didn't even go to class due to fake courses.

Where's that case at?

I'm not debating their authority, just seems like a victimless crime. I mean, does anyone not know there is corruption in college sports?

If you approach it from "players are getting paid like the deserve to be paid" then it seems victimless. It's not that simple though. Players are often the victims here as they have no mechanism for justice when being defrauded as amateurs. Dawkins for example was fired for putting $42k of Uber rides on a client's card.

I was hoping this would be about sexual assault, or maybe player mistreatment...

You, uhh, do know that with sexual assaults there are, uhh, victims, right?

Not saying you're wrong, but how are they exploiting children?

If what little information we have is right, brands are going to junior highs and high schools and contracting children to go to specific schools and then obligate them to athletic brands. What's more likely is they're contracting children's parents, coaches, mentors, or other people to obligate 12-18 year olds to go to a specific university, do a certain thing there, and then promote an apparel brand. College basketball and football players might look like grown men on TV, because they're 260 lbs, 6'10" or 300 lbs linemen, but they're young men (and women, but this is likely targeting young men), and if they're being obligated to go to a specific branded college by Nike, Adidas, etc., then they're making that obligation when these people are children... 13, 14, 15 years old maybe.

It's the definition of exploiting children.

(If what the tweets say is true of course... it's all very early with few details)

Draxal

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/72kart/fbi_arrests_several_ncaa_asst_coaches_in/

Reddit thread is doing a good job of being edited.

Coaches
Lamont Evans Oklahoma State, investigated while at South Carolina
Chuck Person Auburn
Emanuel Richardson Arizona
Tony Bland USC

Others
Rashan Michel NCAA
Jim Gatto Adidas(?)
Merl Code Nike(?)
Munish Sood Princeton Capital
Waiting for a source, but Louisville Louisville has been floated by multiple outlets

They got a NCAA rep in this one wow.

Speculation is that Louisville and Adidas paid Brian Bowen.

Hari Seldon

In basketball the really good players have the ability to totally bypass the NCAA unlike in football, so I can see the need for shadier means if you want to keep the top players in your program.

highrider

Banned
Are you just refusing to read any of the links posted in here?

I read the op, the article was barely two paragraphs about an Auburn and Oklahoma assistant basketball coaches who were being investigated. I looked at the other stuff on the pages, perhaps you could point me to the exploitation of children stuff, not seeing it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
College sports needs a compensation/structural overhaul since there's so much money involved. It's the same money keeping that from happening though.

There has to be a better way where players are compensated to their market value. It's wild to me that the most diehard bootstraps supporters are often the most opposed to anyone touching their college sports.

Its unwatchable garbage. I might catch the championship if there's a player I want to see. There just seems like better ways to be spending taxpayer money.

Basically this gif sums it up.

No it doesn't. Because movie makers that bring in more taxes than you ever will are being hurt by piracy. It seems like common sense to protect money markers that help fund the FBI against felonies. It's funny to hear about a tax payer whine about these kinds of investigations. As if they're the only tax payers.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Why are some of you acting like the FBI has 10 people working there in total and they don't have hundreds of investigations going on at all times?

Draxal

College sports needs a compensation/structural overhaul since there's so much money involved. It's the same money keeping that from happening though.

There has to be a better way where players are compensated to their market value. It's wild to me that the most diehard bootstraps supporters are often the most opposed to anyone touching their college sports.

There's no real way to do it, how do you overhaul the AAU programs?

https://twitter.com/AndrewDasNYT/status/912677919050395648

Louisville might be RIP.

Reading between lines not so hard: this details how Louisville got commitment from All-American Brian Bowen in June -- for $100K:

rambis

Banned
That's the NBA to me. I find college basketball to be the more fun to watch version of the sport

Different strokes I guess. The past decade of NBA has given us some of the best teams of all time with the Heat, Cavs, Spurs and Golden State. The playoffs were shitty as hell last year though I will admit.

You've almost got to try to pick 4 schools that are all bad in both revenue sports.

Yeah, can't post them due to privacy concerns, but two are sec, suck at basketball but we're competitive in football for a good stretch until the last two or three years, the other a big 10 that sucks at football and mediocre at basketball (a traditional power though) and an aac school that has been to final fours but not recently. A bad stretch for me, so let's knock the big boys down through sanctions I say!

I can understand saying "I figure penn state wasn't unique and hoped they'd caught more of the abusers that are likely out there," but damn this was some unfortunate phrasing.

Lunar15

This thread is insane. "FBI finally going after corrupt practices in college sports, but why are they doing when they could be going after corruption in college sports?"

rambis

Banned
No it doesn't. Because movie makers that bring in more taxes than you ever will are being hurt by piracy. It seems like common sense to protect money markers that help fund the FBI against felonies. It's funny to hear about a tax payer whine about these kinds of investigations. As if they're the only tax payers.

Ok?

I don't see missed tax revenues(cause that is really what the movie studios care about surely) as more important than violent crimes or things like human trafficking or terrorism. So yeah, kudos to the Simpsons for being spot on...

Not saying you’re wrong, but how are they exploiting children?

A corporation is basically buying high school kids. These coaches used their position of leverage to profit off of children. We are talking about high school kids desperate for scholarships. These coaches exploited them to pocket money from Adidas.

Its unwatchable garbage. I might catch the championship if there's a player I want to see. There just seems like better ways to be spending taxpayer money.

In what world is college basketball unwatchable garbage? The NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament is the second most watched sports event in the US, behind the Super Bowl, with individual games in the Final Four/championship usually getting more viewers than any other individual game of the NHL, NBA, or MLB playoffs.

College sports is huge, and many people consider college basketball to be much better than pro basketball.

As for spending tax payer money, first of all, the FBI can investigate multiple things at once. Second, the FBI investigating government corruption for the highest paid government employees in the country, along with the likely exploitation of children by major brands, is about as important as anything else that the FBI would investigate. The FBI is brought into investigate many thousands of things a year, and widespread government corruption would be one of the highest. Remember, big state universities are government run, and the people involved in bribery, fraud, exploitation, and other charges, are typically some of the highest paid government employees in a given state. They're above local law enforcement, and the FBI is the federal agency that investigates things like this.

Just hilarious seeing all these big name schools being implicated. These fuckers thumb their nose at every opportunity to other programs just trying to scrape by and largely do things the right way.

But their tens of millions per year they get in revenue isn't enough. They have to bribe teenagers and their families to keep up. The fallout will be interesting. NCAA going to have some bad days ahead.

Just crazy that apparel manufactures and potentially some officials in the NCAA are involved too. Well, the NCAA thing isn't that surprising. But even Nike and Adidas? Wow.

Basically this gif sums it up.

Oh, so this is all about Movie Piracy?

Weird when this is the list of charges:

-Wire Fraud Conspiracy
-Travel Act Conspiracy

I do appreciate your bold stance that the FBI should consider how much you personally enjoy a sport before they investigate bribery or fraud. It's nice to see that level of honesty.

Top Bottom