• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) |OT| Jazz was always there between us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Honestly if they made an anime about moé instrument girls that wasn't really pandering like Upotte!! I would watch it.

Boogie9IGN

oh god YES. I could've sworn the date was April 4 in the Spring anime thread so I was very very confused when I couldn't find anything online for a week

suzu

It's based on a josei (women's) manga and it's a slice of life in a high school setting. You'll probably find it boring if you're not open to that kind of stuff.

Still worth a watch with that kind of dream team though.

Then it'd be a RomCom, which would feature every girl as variations on Hitler. Lupin would be the protagonist in this crossover, and Walther + Mercedes SSKs everywhere.

duckroll

It's based on a josei (women's) manga and it's a slice of life in a high school setting. You'll probably find it boring if you're not open to that kind of stuff.

Considering how Watanabe is adapting all 9 volumes into a mere 12 episodes, I don't think it will be remotely boring.

suzu

I love me some josei. Especially music related ones (Nodame Cantabile).

Considering how Watanabe is adapting all 9 volumes into a mere 12 episodes, I don't think it will be remotely boring.

That's kinda crazy, though I'm sure he will do a good job.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't really get the complaints here about the premise being boring, I mean how often do we get shows revolving around music in the motherfuckin 60s? and directed by Watanabe of all people.

Branduil

I don't really get the complaints here about the premise being boring, I mean how often do we get shows revolving around music in the motherfuckin 60s? and directed by Watanabe of all people.

Those people are unworthy to view Watanabe's glory.

I like Cowboy Bebop quite a bit but was I the only one who thought Samurai Champloo was better?

It didn't have somebody like Ed to hold it back. Music-wise both are fucking excellent. Can't really decide a clear winner there though I am more fond of Nujabes.

Disappointed that this is only 12 episodes but I'm quite excited regardless.

peakish

Dunno what josei is (well I do, you the man Wikipedia) but Watanabe did like an actually good (short) anime about school kids so I'm up.

iavi

I like Cowboy Bebop quite a bit but was I the only one who thought Samurai Champloo was better?

It didn't have somebody like Ed to hold it back. Music-wise both are fucking excellent. Can't really decide a clear winner there though I am more fond of Nujabes.

Nah, I prefer Champloo too. It's a common sentiment.

I think Bebop, in it's admittedly rather heavy-handed approach, had more depth than Champloo did and 'better' (more interesting) characters.
Champloo was funnier though, the baseball episode is legendary.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Samurai champloo didn't feel as concise as Cowboy bebop for me, they are some rather ho-hum episodes, and the main arc just isn't as satisfying thematically as the whole spike / vicious arc in CB.

I just can't get down with Mysterious Girlfriend X after reading that synopsis. Hell no.

Space Brothers sounds nice though, may check that out too.

neoanarch

Fuu?

I prefer scifi over whatever you categorize Champloo. But even so Bebop was just better in every aspect.

BluWacky

Has Kanno done anything outstanding these past few years?

How far back are you going by "few years"? She spent a long time on the music for the various iterations of Macross Frontier which produced a lot of better-than-most pop songs and a few good orchestral numbers. You might want to track down the album for Surely Someday, a film she scored a couple of years ago - I've only listened to bits of it but it's not a bad album.

duckroll

These sites always use the regular broadcasting time for a show to count down. The first episodes usually have slightly different timings due to shifting of broadcasting for a new season. It starts about 2 hours from now. The first week is delayed by 25 minutes.

What a coincidence that there would be two anime series in one season that would reignite my long forgotten passion for the medium and make me follow an ongoing show. Definitely looking forward to another winning Shinichiro Watanabe x Yoko Kanno project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom