• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) |OT| Jazz was always there between us

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Wait, what?

No. No I don't think so.

Well maybe not real NTR but I get the feeling that it will go something like this:

The girl has secret feelings for jazz guy and the MC will find out (after finally becoming good friends with him) and be heartbroken. That is why he is crying in the op. Of course the jazz guy is obviously in love or will soon fall in love with that girl in the OP.

squidyj

Well maybe not real NTR but I get the feeling that it will go something like this:

The girl has secret feelings for jazz guy and the MC will find out (after finally becoming good friends with him) and be heartbroken. That is why he is crying in the op. Of course the jazz guy is obviously in love or will soon fall in love with that girl in the OP.

I think you are confusing NTR with a love triangle. They're not really the same thing.

Dmax3901

Just watched it, was slightly concerned with the 'loner at highschool' beginning but I ended up enjoying it overall and absolutely loved the drumming scene, really nice animation.

EDIT: Also if they end up playing Moanin' together at any point I will be so happy.

suzu

What's NTR?

My guess on the romances (not actual spoilers, just my thoughts after glancing at the official website):
MC (Kaoru) -> pigtails girl (Ritsuko) -> jazz dude (Sentaro) -> long hair OP girl -> trumpet dude. Sucks for everybody!
lol.

Show might take the Nodame Cantabile route. Finish a major arc, wait for a bit, and then create a second season based on the manga. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Show might take the Nodame Cantabile route. Finish a major arc, wait for a bit, and then create a second season based on the manga. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Nope, because it's already confirmed to be adapting the ENTIRE manga series in 12-episodes.:p

O.DOGG

I watched this yesterday. I enjoyed it very much but I can't quite determine whether it's because it was good or because I really wanted to like it - Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime series with Samurai Champloo a close second.
I like the direction it's heading and I'm looking forward to the next episode. In the meanwhile I've been listening to Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' Moanin' album from the first episode. Really digging it too.

In the meanwhile I've been listening to Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' Moanin' album from the first episode. Really digging it too.

Good stuff!
To me the true barometer of how successful this show is will be in how many people it can ignite an interest in classic jazz. I say so as Bebop was the show that got me into jazz in the first place :)

duckroll

http://www.apollon-jazz.com/

The official site for the soundtrack is up. It confirms a few things:

- Junichi is going to perform But Not For Me with the trumpet. Shinpei Ruike plays the trumpet, while Masayoshi Furukawa is apparently the singing voice for Junichi. This will probably be ep4, since that's the name of the episode.

- Ritsuko sings My Favorite Things. Yuuka Nanri is doing the singing as well, so there's no change in VA here.

You can also hear a sample of Moanin' on the site.

Onemic

Looks like crunchy roll doesn't even let you stream without signing up -____-

I'm only guessing that this episode will be about John Coltrane's summertime due to the title. That song is masterful and I wonder how they'll interpret it.

Busaiku

Crunchyroll only does streaming.
I don't think they allow for downloads.

Premium accounts get access to the simulcasts, but you can watch the next week without an account.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'm only guessing that this episode will be about John Coltrane's summertime due to the title. That song is masterful and I wonder how they'll interpret it.

Crunchyroll has different licenses for different areas, so not every country has access to the same shows. Maybe that's the problem you're running into? Because you don't need an account to watch anything on crunchyroll, you just need to wait an extra week to watch current simulcasts.

Grzi

Episode 2

Another great episode. This show is so charming, I had a big smile on my face during the entire episode.
The beginning was especially great, with Kaoru running up and down the stairs.

Oh, and a
CG bus
appeared. Duckroll will be pleased.

duckroll

Episode 2

Really enjoyed it. The music has a ton of depth to it, and really benefits from the solid live recordings, both for the performances and the BGM. The characters are developed really well, and the pacing is great. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where the characters go each week. The direction is really solid.

Emitan

I showed my sister the second half of the first episode (she didn't have time to watch all of it) and she really liked it and has never liked anime before. This show is just great.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Episode 2 was pretty damn good - the pacing is so impressive, it feels like so much ground was covered in this episode, yet it feels completely natural with just the right amount of mood for a series like this. I'm somewhat interested in where they are going take the whole religious angle, it's something rarely explored in anime, yet it feels fittingly appropriate within the context of the characterization. Also I wonder if they are trying to fit a
fight scene
in every episode lulz.

Branduil

Episode 2

ijFSgKNd0ZRns.jpg

Is he transcribing the music by ear? That's crazy.

Great stuff. I really love the amount of characterization done solely through the body language of the characters and how they relate to one another. I also love the way they play Kaoru and Sentaro off of each other, highlighting their individuality but also their budding camaraderie by contrasting how each one deals with the same problems. And the setting continues to feel quite different from the norm, even with the school setting. It's very unusual, for instance, to see
Christians
depicted as protagonists in anime, especially Japanese ones.

The art direction is also really growing on me, especially in the second half of the episode. As expected, music was much more predominant in this episode, matching the growth of Kaoru's character.

The focus on relationships by way of a hobby reminds me to a certain degree of Chihayafuru, except this show deals with it much better. It helps that Jazz isn't a boring card game!

duckroll

If anyone doesn't recognize the hymn in the church scene, it's What a friend we have in Jesus. Or rather, the Japanese version - Itsukushimi Fukaki. I really like how they basically work music and audio into the entire spectrum of the show, using it as a highlight for all the themes, locations, and characters. Great stuff. :)

Ultimadrago

Apollon 2

The music is really more than just noise in the background here and I'm liking it. The
fight
was more entertaining than the one of the roof and played on the two characters' personalities well.

The
live session
was fun, even moved my body a bit with it. The explicit
Christian
element for leads surprised me. I wonder if it'll play into anything later, but I'd rather it not be played into at all rather than too much. The connections between established characters is being built on nice and mellow. It works really well with the good music accompanying it.

I wholeheartedly await the next episode.

Yami

I'm in love with this show. Yoko Kanno's music always gives me chills down my spine, and no exception with this episode. Especially with the
jam session.

Think I'm going to listen to Bebop's Blue album before I go to sleep. Amazing.

duckroll

One thing to note about the show is that it is very specifically about a coastal Japanese town in the late 60s which is greatly influenced by western pop culture and traditions. While this is reflected mostly through music, it is also natural that it extends to other things, in this case religion. It's also not unusual that Watanabe would take the time to flesh out such an element, as he is no stranger to showcasing the influences the west has on Japanese culture - like in Samurai Champloo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
One thing to note about the show is that it is very specifically about a coastal Japanese town in the late 60s which is greatly influenced by western pop culture and traditions. While this is reflected mostly through music, it is also natural that it extends to other things, in this case religion. It's also not unusual that Watanabe would take the time to flesh out such an element, as he is no stranger to showcasing the influences the west has on Japanese culture - like in Samurai Champloo.
When should I expect the baseball Apollon episode?

duckroll

When should I expect the baseball Apollon episode?

Hmmm, let's see...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/1966_in_Japanese_Baseball

The Mexico City Tigers of the Mexican League toured Japan in the spring of 1966. The touring team went 0 - 13 - 0 against Japanese competition. The Los Angeles Dodgers toured Japan in the fall of 1966. The touring team went 9 - 8 - 1 against Japanese competition.

I guess we're in Summer now, so I don't think the Mexicans have a chance of showing up. Too bad. Maybe the Americans later on though!

This is one of the interesting elements that jumped out to me in the second episode. Seeing Christianity in anime is pretty rare, especially for something set in Japan. It makes sense for the western influence of the town, and I'm curious to see where exactly the show goes with that element.

It's another way that I feel the show is standing out from the norm. This isn't the type of subject matter you see in anime very often.

zeroshiki

Episode 2

That jamming scene is without a doubt the best scene of the year so far. So much energy! The music is interspersed real well with the show making it feel like their everyday lives is some kind of jazzy dance.

I have to say though that the first and second halves of the episode highlight how much material they are going through. There's a disconnect with the themes of both halves and I felt that it could have been handled as separate episodes quite easily.

But this is a minor quibble. I love this show. The bro-ness between Kaoru and Sentarou and the mysterious new character might allay my fears of the story turning into some dorama-y triangle. (or take it hardway in the other direction). All in all, still great!

Mumei

Episode 2

That jamming scene is without a doubt the best scene of the year so far. So much energy! The music is interspersed real well with the show making it feel like their everyday lives is some kind of jazzy dance.

I have to say though that the first and second halves of the episode highlight how much material they are going through. There's a disconnect with the themes of both halves and I felt that it could have been handled as separate episodes quite easily.

But this is a minor quibble. I love this show. The bro-ness between Kaoru and Sentarou and the mysterious new character might allay my fears of the story turning into some dorama-y triangle. (or take it hardway in the other direction). All in all, still great!

Well it was certainly the best scene of the series so far, except perhaps the drumming scene in the first episode.

aceface

Just watched episode one on Crunchyroll free....holy crap it was good, it seemed like the whole episode was 5 minutes long. If the whole series was out I probably have watched the whole thing tonight. Great stuff.

Totally falling more and more in love with this show - and we're only two episodes in.
Watching him transcribe Moanin' by hand, the church scene, the jam session and everything else was just so good.

I need to start buying more iTunes cards because this show's gonna cause me to go broke buying all of these albums (and damn proud of that fact lol). o(^▽^)o

Emitan

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm not into jazz or music at all (I get quite bored when anyone talks about music for more than a minute) but I loved Cowboy Bebop.
Should I watch this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom