• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception - |OT| Underwater Ray Romano

Kinda confused, this is what the latest anime is based on. So the first game, or what the first anime is based on, is not release in english right? And from what I read, there is a sequel coming out in the fall?

Shizuka

Kinda confused, this is what the latest anime is based on. So the first game, or what the first anime is based on, is not release in english right? And from what I read, there is a sequel coming out in the fall?

First game (never came out officially in english);
Second game (this one);
Third game (coming September 5th).

All of them had anime adaptations.

mankoto

The anime that came out a year or so ago is based on this game, yes. The first anime from 2006 is based on the original game. While the original game only has fan translations to go off of, the anime itself is properly licensed by Funimation. And yes, the end of the trilogy comes out this September.

Mozendo

image.php
;__; May was an incredibly stressful okay

I actually forgot I had it pre ordered until last week. Was looking to see if I had any pending and lo and behold this game was there. Past me is awesome.
The weird thing is that I'm positive I did, hopefully I didn't buy two copies at different retailers.

Strimei

I just need to know something: Is Touka in-

#6:

A: From what has been officially shown Benawi, Kurou, Touka, Karura, Aruruu, Kamyu.

SOLD. (I mean I was gonna get it either way but sold even more now)

Still gotta get through P5 though before I can play it though (I'm being real slow, I realize).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
are the battles fun, or a throwaway component made to trick people nto buying a vn? don't know if my aim should be to get back to the story asap.

Game is mainly a VN with a fairly simple srpg component.

Fun is subjective depending on who you ask lol

The srpg parts serve as a good break between the long story sections.

There really isnt any tricking going on since the games design has stayed the same since the original which was mostly VN with some SRPG sections. If people are being misled its due to poor / incorrect marketing or lack of research on their behalf.

Parakeetman

Basically the series started off as an eroge on the pc. After than a version for the ps2 was released with adult content removed. Then finally the original game was rereleased on the psp. (Which works on the vita as its sold digitally on JPSN)

Which brings us to the 2 part game series now that is the continuation to the story of the first game though takes place in a different part of the world. Not sure exactly how many years it is supposed to be after the first game. Under 20 though.

Hubb

I've been waiting too long to play this game. I am even more hyped that the sequel is already announced and coming so soon. I gave up hope very early that this was ever coming over. My copy is arriving tomorrow.

I only made it through 10 episodes of the new anime before being gravely disappointed... I loved the first game and anime, but i think I'm going to pass after what the second anime did.

Jimrpg

Ordered this.

Looking forward to a VN style game. Art style is gorgeous!

And always love Parakeetman's OTs! Thanks.

Strings

So so soooooo glad this is the OT title. It's so fucking stupid, but it still makes me giggle everytime.

Have the game, but might wait on starting until the sequel is a bit closer. From what I understand, Mask of Truth is significantly stronger as both an SRPG and story?

Parakeetman

Spoilers for both games probably:
Is
Kuon's age ever stated? That'd be how long after right?

Yeah its not specifically mentioned. And would be the best general way to gauge it.

So so soooooo glad this is the OT title. It's so fucking stupid, but it still makes me giggle everytime.

Have the game, but might wait on starting until the sequel is a bit closer. From what I understand, Mask of Truth is significantly stronger as both an SRPG and story?

The srpg aspects have been improved then further refined in the final game Mask of Truth.

The story part is just different from the first game as while it may start off the same the chemestry of the protagonist and supporting characters is totally different. The original and these 2 games are all very well done narrative wise though for the most part. A lot of my favorite and memorable scenes comes from the next game Mask of Truth though.

Wait sorry disregard above misread your question.

Yeah you could consider Mask of Truth stronger only because its where the story really starts to take off and reaches the climax.

Mask of Deception is introducing players to the world and new characters of the series. Its the time spent with this that gets the player attached to the story. Once all of the introductions are done so to speak is when the story will srart to pick up the pace.

I only made it through 10 episodes of the new anime before being gravely disappointed... I loved the first game and anime, but i think I'm going to pass after what the second anime did.

And that is exactly why I tell people dont watch the anime first.

You are really robbing yourself of some pretty good stuff by skipping the game if you were a fan of the first one.

My feeling is that the Anime for this game omits a lot of the cool stuff from the game to get people to buy the game.

S1 was an adaptation while S2 was an advertisement lol

P.S - but I still love the OP song lol

Parakeetman

Any major difference between Vita and PS4?

Its mostly just the image quality in the srpg parts of the game. Asides from that nothing else to really be concerned with.

My feeling is that the Anime for this game omits a lot of the cool stuff from the game to get people to buy the game.

S1 was an adaptation while S2 was an advertisement lol

Yeah pretty much.

Seeing how the final game sold more than the first am guessing it worked to some extent.

Id have to look at media create numbers again but am pretty sure that it did.

Yeah here we go

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/utawarerumono-two-hakuoros-sales-top-total-sales-predecessor-five-days

The second anime didn't do a great job .. At least wait for impressions from people playing the game before passing this one off because the game does a much better job.

I'd argue that the people in charge of the second anime had no clue what anime viewers would want and messed up badly.

Parakeetman

I've been waiting too long to play this game. I am even more hyped that the sequel is already announced and coming so soon. I gave up hope very early that this was ever coming over. My copy is arriving tomorrow.

Yeah am real glad that they brought it over. Still am hoping that they will do a rerelease of the first one on the current gen consoles. Though even more so really would like another game in the same world.

Its good that it sold well too showing it was a profitable IP domestically. Seems to have picked up new fans too considering how the 3rd game sold more.

Question- how long is this game? While I do want to support this series, I'm fighting a big backlog of games atm and don't want to commit if I can't finish it.

Between Berseria and Utawarerumono, which is faster/easier to finish?

Parakeetman

Question- how long is this game? While I do want to support this series, I'm fighting a big backlog of games atm and don't want to commit if I can't finish it.

I think Ryouga said he took 30+ hours? I took a lot longer as was grinding out stuff for the hell of it.

General estimates say 30-40 hours. A lot of it is mostly listening / reading the visual novel parts. Game would be faster if you just read the text instead of listening to all of the voices too.

This game would be easier due to mentioned above its mostly story event scenes with some srpg. Berseria can be fast too if you skip a lot of stuff and rush so just depends on what you would like to play.

There is no branching paths in the game or multiple endings so you dont have to worry about missing stuff.

I think Ryouga said he took 30+ hours? I took a lot longer as was grinding out stuff for the hell of it.

General estimates say 30-40 hours. A lot of it is mostly listening / reading the visual novel parts.

This game would be easier due to mentioned above its mostly story event scenes with some srpg. Berseria can be fast too if you skip a lot of stuff and rush so just depends on what you would like to play.

There is no branching paths in the game or multiple endings so you dont have to worry about missing stuff.

Does Uta have any side quests and collectibles? Or is it just a straight main story experience?

There only being a single ending is pretty disappointing. Games with a Visual Novel choice system seem to benefit more from multiple endings.

May just wait a for a sale for this one then.

Parakeetman

Does Uta have any side quests and collectibles? Or is it just a straight main story experience?

Straight story. No side quests.

In terms of collectables its just more the equippable accessories in the srpg part. Which are earned as clearing the stage bonus. Its the only equippable thing for characters as there are no different weapons or armor.

I know Mask of Truth has special challenge maps that give rewards after certain maps are cleared but dont remember if this game has that.

Parakeetman

Perhaps I'll check out the anime based on the Prequel to get a feel.

Isn't there supposed to be another one coming out later this year? o_o

Yeah thats the 2nd half of the story.

Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth together make a complete story

Phototropic

Neo Member
This seems like something I might like, but I'm only 2 episodes into the anime. So much catching up to do, but thanks for the solid OT.

Parakeetman

A Fire Emblem Birthright and Conquest sort of deal? or how staggered were these releases in Japan?

In Japan about a year apart between the two releases.
Mask of Deception - 09-24-2015
Mask of Truth - 09-21-2016
*Still hate the second localized title for the game.

Jimrpg

Won't get mine it looks like for another three weeks as I'll be on holiday. :(

In Japan about a year apart between the two releases.
Mask of Deception - 09-24-2015
Mask of Truth - 09-21-2016
*Still hate the second localized title for the game.

Oh I just realised who your avatar was after all this time.

What's wrong with the title?

OceanBlue

It took me 40 hours. I didn't really grind and I had auto read on the entire game.

Also game is great. Can't wait for September.

Parakeetman

Won't get mine it looks like for another three weeks as I'll be on holiday. :(

Oh I just realised who your avatar was after all this time.

What's wrong with the title?

Avatar before used to be from when Aruruu was little.

Its just totally different from what the jp one was lol. Honestly doesnt really make sense either. Would imagine they just wanted to change it to prevent confusion and give a clear "note" that this is the continuation in the 2 part series. The name should have been a pretty obvious giveaway for that unless they think their consumers are that stupid...

The JP title makes far more sense context wise.

Only other thing I could think about is they didnt want to "trigger" people with having some sort of translation like "White Emperor" and if they just left "Hakuoro" people would be even more confused unless a fan of the original series.

Considering that there's no dub, the translation of the subtitles should be more on the literal side which I prefer.
I'm actually one of the few who liked the anime adaptation of this 2nd game well enough. Ok, I really liked Kuon. :D
Still have some other games to go through, so maybe I'll possibly wait until the release of the next one to play through this one and to read the continuation of the story. Though I have to wonder how limited the artbook is that also goes along with the EU version.
For those who don't know: the voices of both main characters, Keiji Fujiwara (Haku) and Risa Taneda (Kuon) are currently taking a break from voice work due to unspecified medical reason. Hope they'll get back soon.

The lack of a dub shouldn't inherently mean that the translation quality will be more literal/worse.
Being more on the literal side also shouldn't inherently mean it's worse?

I mean, I like a good dub (for example, VLR) but for that I wouldn't want to play with the Japanese voices because the dublation would have some level of dissonance.

Saphirax

Being more on the literal side also shouldn't inherently mean it's worse?

I mean, I like a good dub (for example, VLR) but for that I wouldn't want to play with the Japanese voices because the dublation would have some level of dissonance.

Languages aren't the same, so the translation being on the literal side would inherently make it worse. I hope that won't be the case with Utawarerumono.

I'm almost certain that berseria is longer and utawarerumono is easier.

Hubb

Yeah am real glad that they brought it over. Still am hoping that they will do a rerelease of the first one on the current gen consoles. Though even more so really would like another game in the same world.

Its good that it sold well too showing it was a profitable IP domestically. Seems to have picked up new fans too considering how the 3rd game sold more.

I'd love for them to release the first game in the west officially. Current gen consoles + PC would be the best. Though I think Aquaplus gave up on PC.

I don't think anyone wants fully literal. The idea is that it's not overly liberal.

The idea usually amounts to a bunch of stiff unnaturally sounding English that reads poorly because sentence structures between the two languages differ greatly. Literal translations are never ideal in a work of fiction.

Languages aren't the same, so the translation being on the literal side would inherently make it worse. I hope that won't be the case with Utawarerumono.

Of course, I'm not talking about sentence structure, just that I expect less deviation meaning wise since there's no dub.

Saphirax

Of course, I'm not talking about sentence structure, just that I expect less deviation.

But, that's what literal translation means. I assume you meant that you did not want Atlus taking too many liberties with the translation which is somewhat understandable.

Top Bottom