• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit

RootCause

Intentionally incendiary to an insecure 12 year old kid, perhaps.

How did I miss this post. I dunno how people can watch this and say "nope, nothing alike at all."
It does have some similarities. But he definitely didn't play arms back in the 90's. :p

Intentionally incendiary to an insecure 12 year old kid, perhaps.

How did I miss this post. I dunno how people can watch this and say "nope, nothing alike at all."

To me, the first GIF shows a game that is about utilizing positioning, cover placement, and ranged attacks. None of which are a huge focus of Arms. If I understand Arms right, outside of dodging and jumping, your character's movement is automated, so positioning and utilizing cover are not core gameplay aspects of Arms at all. Arms is more about utilizing the curvature of your throws, knowing when to block and dodge, etc.

I definitely agree there are a few tertiary similarities, but as I said earlier. Robo Pit feels like a precursor to stuff like Mech Assault, and Hawken. Whereas Arms feels like a next-gen take on Punch-Out with aspects of other arena fighters like virtual on and the Gundam games.

I should state that I don't think OP is trying to shit on the game or anything, I just disagree with his thoughts. I'm just trying to have an interesting discussion about game design. I don't understand why half of the folks who agree with OP have to make a snide comment about oversensitive Nintendo fanboys, and why half of the folks who disagree have to act like OP is trying to take down Arms. I just find this stuff interesting.

RootCause

If the OP had made the topic:

"Robo-Pit released 20 years ago has a lot of similarities to ARMS"

but they wrote:

"I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit"

See how different this thread could have been?
Knowing my fellow Nintendo fans, it probably would've been the same.

GZmLqJ.gif
2RZjBz.gif

...Come on man.

They look almost identical, in fact I think the first one looks better,

Vol5

They look nothing like each other. In fact I'd go so far as to say ARMS is actually something new that hasn't been done before.

Ultimadrago

Yeah. You are probably right...

To tell the truth, the line that got me was:

As if ARMS is a spiritual sequel to Robo-Pit. I'd put down money that the devs never played Robo-Pit. Probably never heard of it.

Yeah, that's what gets me. Overt defensiveness aside, I'm not sure why OP decided to treat this Robo-Pit thing as a "likely" inspiration versus just a fun little comparison.

As if ARMS is a spiritual sequel to Robo-Pit. I'd put down money that the devs never played Robo-Pit. Probably never heard of it.
Highly likely the case.
Different team but with the Splatoon guys, Iwata brought up Mario Sunshine and they forgot about that game entirely(squashing punchlines so don't go there).

RM8

Why the need to say it's like Robo Pit, though? Why not Virtual-On? They actually, you know, play similarly and Virtual-On came before Robo Pit. The dual joy-cons are used just like Virtual-On's twin sticks, for crying out loud.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yeah, that's what gets me. Overt defensiveness aside, I'm not sure why OP decided to treat this Robo-Pit thing as a "likely" inspiration versus just a fun little comparison.

Because, you know, calling something an "inspiration" is just oh so terrible. How dare he!

Synth

Only reason the last Virtual On was called VO Marz is because if you rearrange the letters in MARS you get...

It would have diviluged Sega's 21 year plan.

Your joke is shit, because the last Virtual On was called VO Force.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Eh, while I do know they exist, most of the "nintendo fans" comes across as "fictional", or at least, the type where you try to ward off and warn people so much so that you eventually create one out of your actions.

commish

He was obviously trolling or making a funny.
Hardly anyone has heard of that game let alone played it.

The thing is, WHAT would be the troll? That ARMS is similar to a game 20 years ago? Most normal people would not be trolled by that, as it really wouldn't impact... you know... the actual game ARMS, or someone's enjoyment of it.

Nightbird

I'm getting flashbacks to that one thread where someone claimed that Splatoon was nothing special because it copied the concept of a paintball shooter from a canceled XBL game.

Vinnk

Because, you know, calling something an "inspiration" is just oh so terrible. How dare he!

So do you agree that ARMS is purposefully borrowing from Robo-Pit? That the inspiration for ARMS is Robo-Pit? I just want to see where you stand.

I (and most of the other people posting here) agree there are similarities. And it was cool to see those.

Here is my position:

I don't think ARMS was inspired by Robo-Pit.
I think if Robo-Pit had not ever been released, there would have been no impact on ARMS. Zero. None.

Now tell me your position. Without that, we are just going in circles.

commish

So do you agree that ARMS is purposefully borrowing from Robo-Pit? That the inspiration for ARMS is Robo-Pit? I just want to see where you stand.

I (and most of the other people posting here) agree there are similarities. And it was cool to see those.

Here is my position:

I don't think ARMS was inspired by Robo-Pit.
I think if Robo-Pit had not ever been released, there would have been no impact on ARMS. Zero. None.

Now tell me your position. Without that, we are just going in circles.

My stand is that I don't give a crap if it was because it's totally irrelevant. I can see how the OP would think that there are some things in common, and that's as far as it goes.

RootCause

There are some similarities, but I seriously doubt they took inspiration from a game that's more than 20 years old. A game that, to my knowledge, wasn't a very popular game.

I wish this thread was about Virtual On instead. 3rd person 1v1 fighting games are definitely already a thing, but there's not many of them at all and ARMS is doing it's thing in a major way.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish this thread was about Virtual On instead. 3rd person 1v1 fighting games are definitely already a thing, but there's not many of them at all and ARMS is doing it's thing in a major way.

yeah sadly no one even made VO references when I said GET READY

I feel sad now :(

I wish this thread was about Virtual On instead.

OP and everyone defending OP's post would have to know what Virtual On even is, first.

Not sure that they do, if they look at that vid and think of ARMS of all games as the closest point of reference.

"Why don't you see ARMS in this!?!"

because duuuuuuuhhhhhhhh ffs

I played Super Mario Bros. back when it was called Mario Bros. Arcade

that's how nonsensical this is

oh, but, both games have superficial similarities that don't actually translate into gameplay commonalities! I guess that makes such a comparison suddenly perfectly valid

I played Super Mario Bros. back when it was called Mario Bros. Arcade

that's how nonsensical this is

oh, but, both games have similarities! I guess that makes such a comparison suddenly perfectly valid
I also played The Last of Us when it was called Resident Evil 4! Third person + zombies + guns = same games!

RM8

Not really sure why op is being attacked.

It's definitely has some similarities.
The thread title is not "there are some similarities". The opening post also doesn't state there are "some similarities", it says that Robo Pit is the inspiration for ARMS. Even though they don't play alike, even though the only real similarity they have is the perspective. Why do you think people NOT oppose comparisons to Virtual On, that have been made since we learned the kind of game it was going to be?

I played Horizon on my 90s PC and it was a game called Daggerfell
I played Fallout 3 on my 90s PC and it was a game called Far Cry
I played Call of Duty on my N64 and it was a game called Goldeneye
I played Super Smash Bros. on my SNES and it was a game called Street Fighter II

I mean, just look at videos

besides all the huge differences, they look exactly alike!

Top Bottom