• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

The anime has improved a lot though...

It has, but that doesn't erase its lackluster initial showing. The current arc is good, but the anime still suffers from many of the issues that have plagued it from the beginning (terrible pacing, poor art, recycled ideas, dumb decisions, Goku).

Nah anime is good and the manga is much less good.

The manga being "much less good" is a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan level stretch.

Yep this is pretty much how I feel, though I've always enjoyed Dragonball even at it's worst. It's like a guilty pleasure at this point, lol. Compared to most even the original series is pretty meh but I love the series regardless of that.

I do think the recent recruitment arc of Super has had some genuine good character writing though.

Yeah, there's been some good stuff here.

Slaythe

The manga being "much less good" is a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan level stretch.

I think the problem is that the show has evolved since the Black arc.

I guess maybe you'd have a point comparing Black arc anime and Black arc manga. (even then though, Trunks' role in the manga is pathetic)

What the show is now SHITS all over the manga, in terms of art style, direction, pacing, character development.

While the manga hasn't really improved at all since it started outside of its pacing issue of the first chapters.

So we have no reason to believe it's gonna get better.

Big One

Banned
I have a feeling Toyotaro is going to glaze over the recruitment arc by covering it in a single chapter and then immediately go into the Tournament of Power. I also have a feeling Sidra's role in the story will be reduced to him getting caught trying to compromise Universe 7's team by sending his assassins after Freeza causing his universe to get blown up, though in the manga it might be for a different reason.

PK Gaming

bad opinion

Bad counterargument.

It called your opinion.

No shit?

I think the problem is that the show has evolved since the Black arc.

I guess maybe you'd have a point comparing Black arc anime and Black arc manga. (even then though, Trunks' role in the manga is pathetic)

What the show is now SHITS all over the manga, in terms of art style, direction, pacing, character development.

While the manga hasn't really improved at all since it started outside of its pacing issue of the first chapters.

So we have no reason to believe it's gonna get better.

That's a good way of looking at it. I wasn't really all that big on the Black arc at all in the anime, but the current arc is definitely an improvement. The manga will no doubt gloss over this arc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It has, but that doesn't erase its lackluster initial showing. The current arc is good, but the anime still suffers from many of the issues that have plagued it from the beginning (terrible pacing, poor art, recycled ideas, dumb decisions, Goku).

Oh I do agree with you. I wasn't exactly enamored with the show prior to the current arc but I do appreciate they've upped their game a lot from a year ago.

HeroR

The anime version of the Future Trunks Saga frankly craps on the manga version. The anime had the mystery of who Black was, Black as a character, Zamasu's fall into darkness, Black's relationship with Future Zamasu, Trunks as a character and his development, Bulma playing an important role, the people in the future fighting for survival so you felt it when they died, and Goku's relationship with Black and Zamasu.

There is really nothing the manga does better except Goku using the Evil Containment Wave instead of Trunks. The manga isn't 'trash', but the manga version of the Future Trunks Saga is medicore compare to the anime, where I put the saga as one of my favorites in the franchise.

As for this current saga, it's good, but so far for me it's way behind the Future Trinks Saga except in art and animation. I especially dislike the pacing.

Big One

Banned
Another prediction: Toyotaro is going to swap out Boo for someone that isn't Freeza.

I have a strange feeling this is going to happen for some reason, cause Toyotaro does weird things like that. Remember he completely skipped over the Resurrection F' arc.

HeroR

Another prediction: Toyotaro is going to swap out Boo for someone that isn't Freeza.

I have a strange feeling this is going to happen for some reason, cause Toyotaro does weird things like that. Remember he completely skipped over the Resurrection F' arc.

He isn't going to change the roster since that is Toriyama.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

They'll recruit Freeza and Yamcha will fuse with him in a last ditch attempt to remain relevant. Enter Freemcha.

To be fair most of those cons have been plaguing Dragon Ball since its Z days when you consider that the Cell saga was full of characters just acting stupid to move the plot forward.

I think the latest arc has slowly started to fix the biggest problem, and that is allowing the ensemble cast to actually do something that effects the main plot. Even in the anime's Black arc it at least had Trunks, Bulma and Mai contributing. While the manga took two steps back and still has Goku mostly doing everything like business as usual.

I think we're at a major turning point in the series where they could potentially rid the series's worst issues depending on how the latest arc ends.

Slaythe

I'll let you judge of recycled ideas and dumb decisions because that's subjective, but the art is certainly not poor in the current arc. There has been some sick color work and the overall production has improved significantly. On top of that, all the important episodes have had some really good animation bits on top of decent one.

And the pacing outside of couple of useless episodes, is fairly decent.

Like they always having something to say, they don't have dreadful panning, zooms, doesn't throw flash backs every 2 seconds, never ending character reactions, the episodes feel like chapters.

That's hardly an example of terrible pacing, certainly not for anime standards.

Lynx_7

I didn't get very far into the manga, but from what I've read it just seemed like an extremely rushed version of the anime with a few better takes on some scenes here and there but overall lacking in impact. Didn't seem different or well presented enough to be worth continuing.

HeroR

I didn't get very far into the manga, but from what I've read it just seemed like an extremely rushed version of the anime with a few better takes on some scenes here and there but overall lacking in impact. Didn't seem different or well presented enough to be worth continuing.

Right now it went from rush to dragging the Merged Zamasu fight. Of all things, he decided to pad this and it annoys me.

Not that it wasn't obvious at this point, but in the latest magazine promo the Tournament arc visual has been updated with Freeza replacing Buu.

Which means we can finally put that leak rumor behind us.

Rutger

Banned
To be fair most of those cons have been plaguing Dragon Ball since its Z days when you consider that the Cell saga was full of characters just acting stupid to move the plot forward.

???

The stuff that happens in the Cell saga are in character, it's hardly just them acting stupid to move the plot forward.

I feel like this thread exists in a bizarre alternate world, because in what universe is the DB super manga trash. It's mediocre, just like the anime, and they both have their own pros and cons.

I agree and I have been a pretty staunch defender of the manga and it's take on power levels. Sure, Trunk got done dirty but, at least it makes sense. The anime literally made no sense when he got his power boost. No explanation, he just rage boosted to a partial SSB, lol wtf?

Cancer.

Fire tototaro already ffs.

I will never understand your gripe. I guess you pre-preemptively hating knowing he is going to properly put 17 in his place power level wise.

HeroR

???

The stuff that happens in the Cell saga are in character, it's hardly just them acting stupid to move the plot forward.

You mean Gohan's entire character have to be rewritten as a berserker so he wouldn't kill Cell when he had the chance? Trunks putting his daddy's issues over saving the world? 18 being an utter dumbass and not running when people told her to, a trait that she has never shown again.

Everyone in that arc were dumbasses to keep the story going longer than needed.

I agree and I have been a pretty staunch defender of the manga and it's take on power levels. Sure, Trunk got done dirty but, at least it makes sense. The anime literally made no sense when he got his power boost. No explanation, he just rage boosted to a partial SSB, lol wtf?

Vegeta literally did the same thing in this latest chapter where he rage boost and kicked Merged Zamasu. And how do you explain Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta being even with Super Saiyan 1/2 Black whose base form is above Super Saiyan 2 Trunks whose is equal to Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

And Super Saiyan Rage isn't a rage boost. It's a new form created by rage, just like Super Saiyan 1 ans 2.

Mister Wolf

He said Merged Zamasu would defused since he wasn't a Supreme Kai despite having access to the Time Rings. U7 Supreme Kai said he wished he was still a lower Kai so he could heal, like Future Zamasu. Gowasu said if he wasn't a full Supreme Kai he couldn't used the Time Rings.

So, you need to be a full Supreme Kai to used a Time Ring. Both Black and Zamasu can, but they're not full Supreme Kais since they're fusion will break.

See the problem.

If you explained that to Toyo he would just smile and do the arch eyes.

Alienous

I'm not seeing where the manga complaints are coming from.

I just checked a chapter and this portal combat that Merged Zamasu has going on seems pretty interesting. It's better than Zamasu's made of gas, or a sky full of Zamasu faces.

Also did Zamasu summon the world's hardest metal in the anime? Because that's a pretty cool callback in the manga.

The Black arc in the anime is pretty trash, tbh.

HardRojo

If we're locking the thread for the next OT, the final post should contain this awesome gif from the best Saiyan dad to grace us with his existence.

x5JZ7yI.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom