• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sajjaja

I'm going to try that later tonight. I only did it once and managed to get one of them down to half, but then I got stuck behind some shit pillar and couldn't move without either falling or getting hit by one of them.

You won't be able to block all of their attacks, but you can block their ranged attacks easily. Once you get one down, you're free to chase and rape the 2nd one.

EDIT: Woops... double post.

I won't spoil it for you - unless you ask - but as a "hint"
watch his eyes

Thanks, I did figure that out. My main problem was that I thought there is a safe spot in front of each pillar to spam fire balls. I always tried sneaking and wondered how the hell could he see me.

Sullichin

So, I rescued Ostrava in 1-1 on this playthrough but ignored him in 1-2 and already killed Tower Knight. Have I ruined my chance for getting the mausoleum key this run? I've never fought Old King Doran before.

Sullichin

Thanks for the help. I'll go back to 1-2 when I get home.

What are good options for a magic build? I've just grinded the stats for the crescent uchigatana that I've forged. Seems like magic scaling weapons are more viable in this than Dark Souls. I have soul arrow, soul spear, fire spay, flame toss, and warding. Suppose I'll try to get the all spells trophy. Wearing what I can of gloom armor. What are other good medium or lightweight armors besides dark silver?

Sajjaja

Thanks for the help. I'll go back to 1-2 when I get home.

What are good options for a magic build? I've just grinded the stats for the crescent uchigatana that I've forged. Seems like magic scaling weapons are more viable in this than Dark Souls. I have soul arrow, soul spear, fire spay, flame toss, and warding. Suppose I'll try to get the all spells trophy. Wearing what I can of gloom armor. What are other good medium or lightweight armors besides dark silver?

Gods Wrath = GG.

The Black Leather set is probably one of the best armors to be honest. Its very light weight, and has excellent stats. I used it for the majority of my playthrough until I got the Old King's set at which time I used that.

Bulk_Rate

Where can I find a typical SL range guide for the various levels? I am SL19 on my first playthrough and I have only seen one summon sign the entire game. I finished 1-1 and got to the boss on 2-1, also dabbling in Shrine of Storms (cheesed the fat gray guy with 60 arrows).

Anyway, looking to summon some help-age but perhaps I am not in the correct level range.

Sajjaja

Where can I find a typical SL range guide for the various levels? I am SL19 on my first playthrough and I have only seen one summon sign the entire game. I finished 1-1 and got to the boss on 2-1, also dabbling in Shrine of Storms (cheesed the fat gray guy with 60 arrows).

Anyway, looking to summon some help-age but perhaps I am not in the correct level range.

Even in my play through a few months ago, I didn't see any summon signs until I got to 1-3 and 3-2.

Maybe my level gap, but yeah. I didn't encounter them often.

started a pickaxe build for a laugh before the US servers shut down... plan was to stay low level for a bit and scare some people with my mining tools. So I invade in 2-1 last night, run around looking for the guy for a bit then realise he's back near the start of the level just standing there not moving. So I wait.

And I wait.

And I wait some more.

Eventually I got bored so I ported home. but not before I left some sticky white stuff on his shoe.

neoemonk

The servers shutting down have prompted me to pick this game up once again. I've finished 1-1 and 1-2 and dabbled in 2-1 a little.

For a first playthrough, I can't decide how much I want to use guides and how much I want to enjoy exploration and discovery. The leveling system is a little intimidating and I'm afraid of screwing my build up.

Sajjaja

The servers shutting down have prompted me to pick this game up once again. I've finished 1-1 and 1-2 and dabbled in 2-1 a little.

For a first playthrough, I can't decide how much I want to use guides and how much I want to enjoy exploration and discovery. The leveling system is a little intimidating and I'm afraid of screwing my build up.

Yeah... I was the same way. I think it's important to look at the guides for leveling/finding items, but not walkthroughs, because one of the items (Cling Ring), will be the item you have equipped the most. I mostly did not look at guides for the bosses except until I naturally got super angry (Especially that 2-2 boss).

I would suggest that you try the bosses a few times first before seeking help. You can normally figure it out after the first few lives as they do have patterns, but do your best to avoid the walkthroughs.

Exploration isn't really as big a deal as it is in Dark Souls because this is hub based where Dark Souls is open world.

Damn 3-2 boss wants to make the fight personal. I nearly had him when I got punched over the edge and fell to my death. Dying through fall is so frustrating - at least have the decency to kill me directly ;-)

Edit: How do I change world tendency effectivly? I plan to kill a certain phantom for a certain talisman. Now my strategy would be - use a lot of eyes to become "human" and die - repeat until the world is pure black.

Sajjaja

Damn 3-2 boss wants to make the fight personal. I nearly had him when I got punched over the edge and fell to my death. Dying through fall is so frustrating - at least have the decency to kill me directly ;-)

Edit: How do I change world tendency effectivly? I plan to kill a certain phantom for a certain talisman. Now my strategy would be - use a lot of eyes to become "human" and die - repeat until the world is pure black.

Sounds good.

zkylon

zkylewd

Yes, use stones of ephemeral eyes to revive and then kill yourself in body form. I suggest you wait until you kill the last Demon in that world, since white WT makes the game easier.

Sullichin

Man this game is so good. Truly one of the best of the generation and I really hope we get a PS4 remake / PS Vita Directors Cut / some sort of re-release. It's going to be sad when the NA servers shut off.

Actually had some online activity last night. Saw a blue sign at the beginning of 5-1 and went through that level with a phantom. He somehow died at leechmonger. Fun nonetheless. I only have one other playthrough of this game so I'm still appreciative of phantoms directing me toward hidden nooks and crannies.

Got invaded twice in 3-2, which I found weird because I thought invaders only got summoned for the old monk fight in world 3? Apparently not. The first invader died before I ever saw him, and I killed the second in an intense fight by where the heart was hanging in that large spiral staircase structure.

Summoned a phantom for maneater. He promptly got pushed off the ledge. Decided to do the fight by myself. Considerably easier when you have spells (last character was all melee). A better fight than the DkS gargoyles for sure.

Attempted to take on old king doran. SL 44 and he can one shot me and I barely do any damage. That's hardcore.

I want to help people co-op, any recommended level / area pairings?

Also, I see above for how to make the world pure black tendency, making it pure white seems quite a bit harder. As in, if I already beat some of the bosses in the area and I've died in body form there, it's pretty impossible to get it back to pure white, right?

EasyMode

I want to help people co-op, any recommended level / area pairings?

Also, I see above for how to make the world pure black tendency, making it pure white seems quite a bit harder. As in, if I already beat some of the bosses in the area and I've died in body form there, it's pretty impossible to get it back to pure white, right?

I haven't played in quite a while but 1-3 and 4-2 were my favorite co-op levels, and quite active @ level 50 or so. 1-3 Has brilliant level design and a fun boss fight. 4-2 Has plenty of invasions, plus lots of dangerous enemies and hazards — it's a fun challenge trying to keep the host alive. Soul remains are very useful for keeping the host out of trouble, I always keep plenty on hand for co-op.

The server tendency is almost always near pure white. So if you log in and out of the server repeatedly, your tendency will shift towards that. Top that off with a boss kill and you should get pure white. But if you don't have any bosses left for that world then you're out of luck.

Soulhouf

There is still a way to make it pure white. The only condition is that you need at least one boss alive and the NPC BP and Primevil Demon alive as well.
1/You need to make the world pure black. From that point it's better to be in soul form to not die by mistake and screw your run.
2/After that you kill the NPC BP AND Primevil Demon WHITHOUT returning to the Nexus.
3/Kill the remaining boss
4/Return to the Nexus and go back to the world and it should be pure white

ruxtpin

Banned
Managed to put down the Leechmonger after issues with Maneater. Went back to Maneater and tore into them with poison cloud.

/feelsgoodman

Trick_GSF

Banned
So fellas, I've decided to finally give Demon's Souls a try. I enjoy RPGs and a challenge, so I don't know why its taken me so long.

Quick question about the online mode:

If I play with it on, can people come up to me and kill the shit out of me? I'm not a massive fan of online/multiplayer. The thought of struggling through enemies and then getting killed by some random dude isn't appealing. That said, I've heard other players can leave messages and you can view their deaths, etc. That really interests me. Actually it sounds awesome.

So, could someone give me a quick rundown on how the online works? I'd do the research myself, but I'd rather go in without knowing too much.

Cheers.

Astra

So fellas, I've decided to finally give Demon's Souls a try. I enjoy RPGs and a challenge, so I don't know why its taken me so long.

Quick question about the online mode:

If I play with it on, can people come up to me and kill the shit out of me? I'm not a massive fan of online/multiplayer. The thought of struggling through enemies and then getting killed by some random dude isn't appealing. That said, I've heard other players can leave messages and you can view their deaths, etc. That really interests me. Actually it sounds awesome.

So, could someone give me a quick rundown on how the online works? I'd do the research myself, but I'd rather go in without knowing too much.

Cheers.

Yeah, people can randomly invade you, but they have to be within a certain range of your current level. However, players can only invade you if you're in human form. So if you want to avoid invasions, stay in soul form. You also can't summon any friendly phantoms to help you while in soul form, though. You don't really need any help, anyway.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Yeah, people can randomly invade you, but they have to be within a certain range of your current level. However, players can only invade you if you're in human form. So if you want to avoid invasions, stay in soul form. You also can't summon any friendly phantoms to help you while in soul form, though. You don't really need any help, anyway.

Alright man, cheers for that. Looking forward to getting into it. :)

Just started a new character in this game. Attempting to complete it this time.

Any tips what items I should be getting in the beginning? I've completed 1-1,1-2 and 2-1 at the time of speaking. I'm playing a copy of my favorite Dark Souls character. STR/END/FTH build warrior with emphasis on big ass swords.

Just started a new character in this game. Attempting to complete it this time.

Any tips what items I should be getting in the beginning? I've completed 1-1,1-2 and 2-1 at the time of speaking. I'm playing a copy of my favorite Dark Souls character. STR/END/FTH build warrior with emphasis on big ass swords.

Claymore should be your primary weapon. Get it to +6, the use faintstone to make it blessed.

ruxtpin

Banned
wooo - Later last night I finished off 2-3 and then 4-2. I was able to cheese the 4-2 boss with poison cloud. I also got invaded for the first time, which was a nerve racking experience. I threw myself off a cliff when the guy started me bleeding and I didn't have anything hot-keyed.

Sullichin

There is still a way to make it pure white. The only condition is that you need at least one boss alive and the NPC BP and Primevil Demon alive as well.
1/You need to make the world pure black. From that point it's better to be in soul form to not die by mistake and screw your run.
2/After that you kill the NPC BP AND Primevil Demon WHITHOUT returning to the Nexus.
3/Kill the remaining boss
4/Return to the Nexus and go back to the world and it should be pure white

Thanks.

man i fucking hate the crystal lizards in this game. I've ruined my chance to get pure darkmoon stone this playthrough (I went back to both lizard spots after I killed the boss). I was only able to kill the lizards in 4-2 and 4-3 a total of two times, and I didn't get pure darkmoon stone either time. So fucking frustrating.

Soulhouf

Wow many of my PS3 friends are playing this game again right now. It seems that the news the US servers shut down soon encouraged them to do it.

@Sullichin: I agree. But that's what make them so valuable and unique and I love that aspect.
With that said I managed to kill the one in 4-2 only twice.

Sullichin

Wow many of my PS3 friends are playing this game again right now. It seems that the news the US servers shut down soon encouraged them to do it.

@Sullichin: I agree. But that's what make them so valuable and unique and I love that aspect.
With that said I managed to kill the one in 4-2 only twice.

It's a great game to play in between playthroughs of Dark Souls :p I have so many other games I need to play / finish, notably the Deus Ex DLC which I bought but never installed, and I keep coming back to these games.

Trying my hand at farming for the infamous pure bladestone for the hell of it before tackling 1-4 and going into NG+. Too tedious, will probably give up.

I duped stones of ephemeral eyes this run for easier manipulation of world tendency / to play online easier. Unless i'm missing something it seems like this would be way too annoying to do legitimately. I love PBWT, I wish Dark Souls had a way to get black phantom enemies more consistently other than hoping to get gravelorded.

Do crystal lizards have significantly more health in NG+? When I get back to 4-2 I plan on using hidden body + thief's ring + soul form and blasting it with fireball.

On another note, I caved and bought the chinese version of the game on eBay. The greatest hits "PS3 You So Best" Edition. From what I've read, it uses the same servers as the Japanese version, which aren't going down anytime soon, but the chinese version has english text.

Soulhouf

Do crystal lizards have significantly more health in NG+? When I get back to 4-2 I plan on using hidden body + thief's ring + soul form and blasting it with fireball.

Yes they get more and more annoying the more you progress into NG+, NG++ etc...

I duped stones of ephemeral eyes this run for easier manipulation of world tendency / to play online easier. Unless i'm missing something it seems like this would be way too annoying to do legitimately. I love PBWT, I wish Dark Souls had a way to get black phantom enemies more consistently other than hoping to get gravelorded.
Since I the duplication thing is new, I did platinum my US and EURO version legitimately and never tried the glitch.
But it's really easy and not annoying at all. At least it's easier thant many many other PS3 games. So please enjoy the game like it was meant to.

Sullichin

Yes they get more and more annoying the more you progress into NG+, NG++ etc...

Since I the duplication thing is new, I did platinum my US and EURO version legitimately and never tried the glitch.
But it's really easy and not annoying at all. At least it's easier thant many many other PS3 games. So please enjoy the game like it was meant to.

So how do you easily get to PBWT? Do you farm the plague babies for eyes? I'm not even strictly going for platinum, I like seeing how the different worlds are in PBWT more than anything, and I like being able to get invaded. I suppose it just takes more planning. I guess I did pick up like 25 or so on my other run without duping them which should be enough with some minimal farming.

one85x

If you have a bow, you can snipe the lizards in 4-2 and 4-3 without any fear of them disappearing. They'll just run away for a couple seconds, then walk back their starting position.

Soulhouf

So how do you easily get to PBWT? Do you farm the plague babies for eyes? I'm not even strictly going for platinum, I like seeing how the different worlds are in PBWT more than anything, and I like being able to get invaded. I suppose it just takes more planning. I guess I did pick up like 25 or so on my other run without duping them which should be enough with some minimal farming.

Yes I always farm the babies.
It's very easy to farm them since the drop rate is high. I remember getting like 3-4 each run in 5.3.

Sullichin

If you have a bow, you can snipe the lizards in 4-2 and 4-3 without any fear of them disappearing. They'll just run away for a couple seconds, then walk back their starting position.
Thank you! I will try this in NG+

Yes I always farm the babies.
It's very easy to farm them since the drop rate is high. I remember getting like 3-4 each run in 5.3.

Yeah that doesn't seem too bad. I guess I just saved myself some time, but I agree that duping anything takes some of the fun out of it.

But i'm about to give up farming for pure bladestone on this character. Already farmed enough souls to get to like level 90, I want to move onto NG+. Thought I'd try for it when the katana skeletons aren't at NG+[+..] difficulty. Fuck it. I'll just try again on a character that would actually take advantage of DEX scaling. This dude's all magic. Which is why I want those 4-2/3 lizards so badly (now I have enough darkmoon shards/chunks to bring several more weapons to +4 crescent. I just want my crescent uchigatana +5!)

Apdiddy

With the servers shutting down soon, I figure I try (and probably will fail) at platinum'ing this game on NG+ before then. I did max out my Dragon Long Sword (you like fire?) though.

Went through 1-2, 2-2 & 4-1 bosses like butter. On 4-1, the guy I summoned and I would get invaded twice and the people invading us....didn't last long.

I got summoned on 3-1 and the summoner player died at least three times. The Tower of Latria is confusing and....god, I hate it. Still.

Sajjaja

With the servers shutting down soon, I figure I try (and probably will fail) at platinum'ing this game on NG+ before then. I did max out my Dragon Long Sword (you like fire?) though.

Went through 1-2, 2-2 & 4-1 bosses like butter. On 4-1, the guy I summoned and I would get invaded twice and the people invading us....didn't last long.

I got summoned on 3-1 and the summoner player died at least three times. The Tower of Latria is confusing and....god, I hate it. Still.

I never got invaded once :( Lucky.....

And the Tower of Latria... still not as bad as the Swamps in 5-2....

Soulhouf

What.
I don't remember Black Phantoms being able to invade a player fighting a boss and come into the boss area in Demon's Souls O_O
While fighting False King I saw the message that I was invaded and 5 minutes later the BP crossed the boss fog and backstabbed me.
Wow that was epic. I would never expect to continue to learn new things in this game.

So the flamelurker just defeated me again and I'm starting to get a little frustrated for the first time. I'm playing as a royal...is there any particular way that I should level up that class to make life easier during the course of the game? Or a specific order that I should fight the bosses? I've been playing primarily as a melee fighter but magic seems to be a much easier way to fight bosses for me so I'm thinking I may start focusing on that. Thoughts?

Sullichin

Adjucator is actually giving me some trouble in NG+, first time I've had trouble with this boss. If I'm unlucky enough to fall to ground level his horiziontal sweep one shots me and for some reason I'm having difficulty dodging it. Tried to stay on the upper levels with homing soul arrow, seems to do a good chunk of damage but I got caught by the tongue attacks. I'll try again later.

And lol @ PBWT 4-1 on NG+. Didn't expect black phantom Satsuki there, and he rushes you right from the archstone. The black phantom NPCs in Dark Souls are a joke in comparison to this. He can kill me in 1 hit if I don't have warding activated, he has tons of health and he will readily heal it all once his hp is low. Took me like 5 tries, finally hacked him to bits with my crescent uchi while his health was being whittled with death cloud. And he drops a weapon I already have. lol

I never got invaded once :( Lucky.....

And the Tower of Latria... still not as bad as the Swamps in 5-2....

I love Tower of Latria. 3-2 Especially. The slow movement speed in the swamp is the worst, especially if you get knocked off a ledge and have to sift through the whole damn thing. I prefer blighttown over that level for sure.

So the flamelurker just defeated me again and I'm starting to get a little frustrated for the first time. I'm playing as a royal...is there any particular way that I should level up that class to make life easier during the course of the game? Or a specific order that I should fight the bosses? I've been playing primarily as a melee fighter but magic seems to be a much easier way to fight bosses for me so I'm thinking I may start focusing on that. Thoughts?

Flamelurker ain't so bad. Dodging attacks is better than blocking. If you have the crescent falchion from 4-1, try that. Crescent weapons scale nicely with your magic stat. He's weak to magic damage. Or you can find a nice private corner to go coat your weapon in sticky white stuff. Flame resistant stuff is helpful, like water veil spell, ring of flame resistance, and purple flame shield.

fatty

I've had this for awhile but finally got around to playing it this weekend to experience the online aspect. I ended up picking Royalty. I've probably put in a little under three hours and I still can't get past the first level.

I've tried to avoid reading any guides so I'm going in blind, and besides the in game tutorial I'm pretty much in the dark. Sometimes I'll get pretty far (at least it seems that way) where I will make it past the first set of stairs with the trap where the giant ball comes down and the silver knight waiting at the top with other enemies, one which looks like Raiden from Mortal Kombat. I manage to get past them, after many, many tries where I die along the way, thinking there is a save around the corner and bam, someone throws an exploding fire ball on me that kills me (thanks a lot to the message that told me to walk ahead!). And I have to start all the way over...

So I'm thinking that I have to get back and get my 700-something lost souls waiting for me but die way before then and all of that work is lost. And I have to start all the way over...

Yet I keep trying.

And I'm wondering. How far till I get to a save spot, because this game can get pretty unforgivable. I have no idea.

What's more 'frustrating' is that I think I am finally getting to grips with the combat system and I'm to the point where I can even handle a couple of guys at the same time...and then another enemy will pounce on me out of nowhere and stun me. Now there are three people to deal with and I end up dying. And I have to start all the way over.

Any basic tips I should know? Should I get about 400 souls and head back and maybe try to upgrade my weapon? One of my swords already broke and I haven't come across much more along the way. Also, should I even worry about busting open barrels and crates? Seems like there isn't ever going to be something in there, all loot so far is from bodies. Also, is there any benefit to touching the bloodstains and releasing the souls?

I'd like to beat this game once before the servers are gone but at my rate I don't know if I'll be able to.

Alucrid

Banned
I've had this for awhile but finally got around to playing it this weekend to experience the online aspect. I ended up picking Royalty. I've probably put in a little under three hours and I still can't get past the first level.

I've tried to avoid reading any guides so I'm going in blind, and besides the in game tutorial I'm pretty much in the dark. Sometimes I'll get pretty far (at least it seems that way) where I will make it past the first set of stairs with the trap where the giant ball comes down and the silver knight waiting at the top with other enemies, one which looks like Raiden from Mortal Kombat. I manage to get past them, after many, many tries where I die along the way, thinking there is a save around the corner and bam, someone throws an exploding fire ball on me that kills me (thanks a lot to the message that told me to walk ahead!). And I have to start all the way over...

So I'm thinking that I have to get back and get my 700-something lost souls waiting for me but die way before then and all of that work is lost. And I have to start all the way over...

Yet I keep trying.

And I'm wondering. How far till I get to a save spot, because this game can get pretty unforgivable. I have no idea.

What's more 'frustrating' is that I think I am finally getting to grips with the combat system and I'm to the point where I can even handle a couple of guys at the same time...and then another enemy will pounce on me out of nowhere and stun me. Now there are three people to deal with and I end up dying. And I have to start all the way over.

Any basic tips I should know? Should I get about 400 souls and head back and maybe try to upgrade my weapon? One of my swords already broke and I haven't come across much more along the way. Also, should I even worry about busting open barrels and crates? Seems like there isn't ever going to be something in there, all loot so far is from bodies. Also, is there any benefit to touching the bloodstains and releasing the souls?

I'd like to beat this game once before the servers are gone but at my rate I don't know if I'll be able to.

Try pulling mobs one at a time, proceed slowly. Yes, destroy crates and barrels. Sometimes they hide items or even hidden passages.

Sullichin

Yet I keep trying.

I've been there. There's two shortcuts in that level that make starting at the beginning way less frustrating. Try to find those. Also, there's the extremely useful "cling ring" in this level which allows you to have 75% of your HP instead of 50% in soul form. You can get this on the way to unlocking the first shortcut. If you're in a staircase with torch wielding dreglings, you're going the right way. It can be accessed from the top of that tower you've gotten to. The only benefit for touching other people's blood stains is that you can see how other people die. It can actually be pretty useful when approaching a new area.

ijed

Gods Wrath = GG.
Faith only tho - For magic I've been tearing stuff up with firespray+kris knife+ring Magical Sharpness tho Clever Rat's, Monks wrap and insanity catalyst would make it monstrous :)

Having another run through the US version also - so much easier coming back from Dark Souls - made a cresent estoc and working on a Moon War Scythe - though a moon claymore would be fun also - or +10 it and use cursed weapon for some last hurrah PvP

Sullichin

I somehow messed this up on the 4-2 lizard in NG+ :| He did run away and come back, but once I hit him again he ran and buried himself under the primeval demon. reloaded, and he was gone. started the level over, and he was back. when I hit him with my bow that time he just ran right off the ledge. He's gone now until I kill the boss and I can try the 4-3 lizards as well, but this is still so frustrating. Really don't want to have to do yet another cycle to get pure darkmoon stone.

one85x

:|

Ya, that 4-2 one is annoying. Remember to bring the Stormruler with you when you fight the boss in 4-3, so you don't have to run passed the lizard spawn to get it. Using hyper-mode with the clever rat's ring and morion blade can help boost damage if your bow isn't very strong.

Worst case scenario: The game doesn't save until you confirm the drop. So if you don't get a pure darkmoonstone on your last lizard, just quit to the xmb.

Top Bottom