• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei tries to make a laptop: Huawei MateBook X

Nesotenso

a big reason why Huawei phones haven't caught on in the US market is because they can't sell their telecommunications equipment here. they don't have the relationship with carriers here that they have in Europe.

Hesemonni

Banned
Lol. Are their phones any good? If the phones are legit i'd give the laptop a try
They are really good. I was skeptical at first, but after accidentally breaking my old Sony Z3 I bought the European version of Honor 5C with fingerprint reader and was blown away by the value proposition of that thing. Unfortunately I lost it during a business trip and had to get a Samsung phone as a replacement while good too, I liked that Huawei a lot more.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It's their first actual laptop. You're always trying and learning from any mistakes from your first product.

True but tries implies that they attempted to but didnt. i was expecting some kind of failure news They didnt try to make a laptop, they did make a laptop.

edit: and the title caught me off guard because ive always heard the brand is good.

reKon

Banned
Yes, it looks like a Mac Book. Yes, the potential is amazing here if they deliver on battery life. Really liking the keyboard look, minimal bezels, and the fact that they are including the multiple port adapter. Just need to know pricing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it start at $1200 or $1300.

A touch screen 360 hinge version of this have been nuts.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You do know it's ridiculously easy to put macOS on a PC these days right?
Until an update comes and jacks it up.

Regardless, it still won't have a sweet touchpad or customer support. Or the fantastic build quality. Some people don't care about that stuff but I value it.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it looks like a Mac Book. Yes, the potential is amazing here if they deliver on battery life. Really liking the keyboard look, minimal bezels, and the fact that they are including the multiple port adapter. Just need to know pricing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it start at $1200 or $1300.

A touch screen 360 hinge version of this have been nuts.

One would hope it's not near that price range if it has no touch screen or 360 hinge.

their phones are quite nice (and cost less)

so... if it's a good laptop, why not?

Why are so many people in this thread against market competition?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
...Well, they are only the third largest smartphone manufacturer, but I trust your judgement on this one.

They're the third largest smartphone manufacturer in the world not because there is great love and enthusiasm for Huawei, but because Chinese firms have significant structural advantages in the Chinese market and they make cheap phones, which is pivotal to gain marketshare in BRIC and other emerging markets. This isn't a knock on them--they are very good at what they do. But they're not an upscale luxury brand, and there's not a craving or desire on the consumer level for their name to be blaring out on the back of the computer.

Yeah?

macbook-select-spacegray-201604
Oh damn. I completely forgot about the m3 MacBook.

Until an update comes and jacks it up.

Regardless, it still won't have a sweet touchpad or customer support. Or the fantastic build quality. Some people don't care about that stuff but I value it.
You value removal of basic features.
BTW, there are plenty of fantastic notebooks out there without the Apple logo.

Mario007

They're the third largest smartphone manufacturer in the world not because there is great love and enthusiasm for Huawei, but because Chinese firms have significant structural advantages in the Chinese market and they make cheap phones, which is pivotal to gain marketshare in BRIC and other emerging markets. This isn't a knock on them--they are very good at what they do. But they're not an upscale luxury brand, and there's not a craving or desire on the consumer level for their name to be blaring out on the back of the computer.

If this was true, Oppo or Vivo or Xiaomi would be ruling the world. Huawei isn't that cheap to buy in China anymore, not the flaships at least. Maybe around a 1000 RMB less, but it's not like buying a Xiaomi which gets you a flaship for 1800RMB while iPhone costs around 6000.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Man I'd love to replace my old ass Macbook Pro with a Huawei or Xiaomi notebook, but no models with a Spanish keyboard is a big turn off to me.

Huawei or Xiaomi people, if you are reading this, give me that "Ñ" and I'll give you my money.

You don't get big by not putting your name on stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You value removal of basic features.
BTW, there are plenty of fantastic notebooks out there without the Apple logo.
Having features is not an automatic plus. When designing, adding something means removing something.

No, there aren't. I own a Surface Pro, easily one of the highest tier Windows laptops out there, and the touchpad is still trash.

Having just gotten a macbook knockoff ( zenbook 3),this looks like a better deal to be honest, especially if it's under $900. I'm happy with the zen so far, but it doesn't do 10 hours of streaming/video, and I might as well had found one with 8gb of ram. Came with a dongle too, but fuck could it really use a second usb port :/

So besides the usual holes exploitable by the CIA and others, you want the additional insecurity of a chinese-designed product with more backdoors than a vatican whorehouse?

Mailbox

I would never buy Chinese electronics

I'm pretty sure you buy chinese made electronics all the time.
Or do you mean produced and designed by a chinese company?

idk why you'd just shut them down like that because they are chinese or anything :S.
I have a chinese drawing tablet w/ a core m-5y10c and i love the thing to death (it has its issues, sure, but nothing morbid). The chinese tablet/ laptop market has been getting crazy interesting and pretty good in recent years.

I'm definitely more interested in the matebook E (price is gonna be a deciding factor for me) more than the X or D, but all of the devices they announced are pretty nice from what i've seen.

running Windows? pass

Lol what?
Did you expect it to run MacOS or something?
Linux is free and you can switch to that if you want.
Wtf even is this comment?

Glasshole

Banned
This post is so edgy it just might be dangerous to handle it without gloves.

I was actually about to say the same, albeit in a more questioning manner.

Wasn't there a huge scandal years ago, about built in security backdoors in Huawei products so chinese intelligence could spy you out?

I faintly remember offices being raided in Switzerland or Germany or somethint, and actual spies being imprisoned.

"Huawei tries to make a laptop"? I think they succeeded in making one lol. I'm no fan of their brand or anything, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable ultrabook. You don't like it then don't buy it.

I don't think it's smart of them, however, to keep using MateBook moniker for everything. They call their Wacom pen enabled tablet a MateBook also (without the X). It's actually really slick. And quite a good deal atm.

Bboy AJ

This post is so edgy it just might be dangerous to handle it without gloves.
There's actual precedent of the Chinese putting in backdoors in their electronics. It's not unbelievable. Plus, these companies are all government backed. Don't think people have on tinfoil hats. It's a legit concern.

nolips

Lol. Are their phones any good? If the phones are legit i'd give the laptop a try

I have the Mate 9 Pro and it is without a shadow of a doubt the best smartphone I've had ( including Galaxy S8 and iPhone 7). The battery life on this thing is amazing. I have high hopes for MateBook X.

Top Bottom