• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, have you ever stole anything?

Servbot24

Banned
I've stolen snacks from work. Granted, they're free snacks for us to take, but I don't think we're supposed to bring them home.

I used to steal a ton of food from my college cafeteria. I'd line my backpack with a plastic bag and just pour in cereal.

When I was at uni I lived in a student flat and the guy who used to collect everyone's rent and pay for bills left and handed it over to me, which ended up a total nightmare. The flat got a reputation for being a bit of a half-way house, so we'd get people in for a few weeks, they wouldn't pay any rent, eat all the food then fuck off. We also had previous students turn up with their parents demanding their deposit back, even though the flat's accounts were empty, meaning I had to pay it back out of my own pocket. The final straw was learning that the previous guy who looked after the bills hadn't put any aside for the power bill which had built up over months and cost hundreds, which we did a collection for but I still ended up paying a good chunk of that.

I kinda snapped and once my studies were over I decided to move country to be with some family, so for a few weeks I didn't pay any rent and just pocketed whatever rent I managed to get from other students and left the country with it.

Was kinda funny leaving, I didn't tell anyone in the house about it and making my way to the airport I had all these fears of being stopped by police (which was unlikely to happen) but I made it out and never heard from them again (this was a time before social media).

It was like what toppled dictators do, so I hope I never get into politics...

Crayons

Banned
A few times I've gone to clothing stores and tried things on in the fitting room, put on three pairs of jeans and three shirts at once, and walked out looking fatter than I walked in. No one suspects anything because I'm neither black nor a woman

megalowho

A bunch of fake Oakleys from a hotel gift shop in high school

My entire spice rack throughout college. Would go in with a winter coat and line the pockets. $10 for Cardamom, fuck that

Probably a few more that I'm forgetting, outside of the internet. Once I had steady disposable income and employment I grew out of it.

CHC

I've pirated a fair bit of things - tons of music, games, etc (this was like..... pre-2010). I don't really do that anymore, I only pirate textbooks now because fuck those prices, man.

I also regularly hop or duck the turnstile if I can get away with it here. The MTA are just trash and there's been enough fucking times I swipe the card only to find out the trains aren't running or my route is all fucked up, so I consider it payback.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I used to steal a lot when I was young and poor. Food and clothes, semi-compulsively. It was a real rush, and surprisingly easy. One time I took a friend and he almost fucked it up though because he was so obviously shitting himself.

Also, I was a dirtbag then; I'm in no way condoning the behaviour and know my actions were shitty.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I stole an N64 with the Expansion Pak from my grandmother. No one was using it, so I took it. Plain and simple.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I used to steal band stickers from a Hastings in Maryville TN all the time just because the employees were too lazy to give a shit. I'd walk out the front door holding them in my hand and the employees wouldn't even call the cops. I was kind of a dick at 16.....

Ironically, I accidentally stole a Spawn action figure from Wal-Mart when I was 10 and I actually felt really bad about that one.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Dirty magazines a few times...and this one summer, I would swipe the demo CD's from PC Gamer and other magazines. Fortunately, I grew out of those degenerate ways pretty quickly.

I stole quite a bit from stores in my late teens and never really got caught, but I'm not proud of it. I was pretty fucked up back then.

Quite a few dirty magazines at around 13. My best friend and I had a pretty cool way that we'd snatch them at a waldenbooks in the mall. I would sweat bullets every time we stole one though, although the rush when we made it out of the store and the mall and then snuck it in his house up to his room. Mostly Playboys but an occasional Penthouse! Lol.

DBT85

Nope, never.

My parents raised me properly.

giphy.gif

Baltic

Banned
I got a bottle of olive oil from the restaurant next block last weekend.

I'll probably return it in a few days when I'm done with my next recipe.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I honestly can't remember ever directly stealing anything from anyone.

Although once someone stole a holographic Jinzo Yu-Gi-Oh! card for me from some other kid. I didn't even ask him to do it but he went on and did it anyway and I felt terrible. I kept the card but could hardly look at it without feeling extreme guilt.

Is Jinzo still a strong card today? Cause back then (10+ years ago) it was awesome.

badblue

I used to steal from a local grocery store. Candy, chips, pretty much any junk food i wanted. Got caught one day and was banned from the store. I was eight so waiting there for my parents was a nightmare.

Also when I was eight I shoplifted a transformers bumblebee toy. I still have it.

I've never stolen anything physical since then.

Clockwork

A bag of candy.

I was 9 or 10 and was with my friend. We rode our bikes to the grocery store and pillaged the self serve Brach's candy station (the kind where you fill a bag and just pay for it based on weight). Instead of going to the checkout we went out the door...and we got caught.

Dumbest thing I ever did.

TaterTots

Banned
I was writing out a whole list, but what is the point? Most of the stuff I stole I turned around and sold for cash to buy food. I'd be judged either way given past threads.

Not anything I can remember. EDIT: No wait I pirated my Calc 3 book.

But man, the shit I've seen at my retail job... If something can be stolen, there will be someone who makes a serious attempt at stealing it. Aside from the usual clothes and electronics, this includes pizza, 2 hearing aide batteries (left the rest of the pack behind), ethernet cables, erasers, and bed sheets.

Yea Dirty Mags/Gaming Mags.

There was a 7/11 on the way home from middle school that we would hit up twice a month to steal mags. One played decoy or bought some candy while the other did the lifting. Not my proudest memories but w/e... when you're young you're dumb.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I stole a few comic books from a 7-11 just to show the neighborhood kids that I could. They were all hardcore thieves and they were starting to think I was a cop or something. Several years later one guy celebrated his coming 18th birthday and retirement from theft by shoplifting an entire custom PC, with all the parts still in the packaging, in a single trip into the computer store. The same guy stole a bunch of comics from the wall behind the counter in a comic shop while the cashier was standing there. How? I don't know. Wizardry?
That's it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They allow kids in liquor stores?

When I was a kid the nearest liquor store had a small kids section (with stuff like Garbage Pail Kids cards) and an arcade section.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Out of necessity, I got really good at stealing as a youth. By high school I could boost almost anything exploiting every loophole I could find. Cracked the local public transportation system to ride free (for years). Eventually after joining the Navy I didn't need the skill anymore but I did go into Loss Prevention since I was so good at spotting a thief.

Not anymore...long gone are those days.

Daria

yah, last weekend. it was at the market and i picked up James Baldwin's "Another Country" and then got distracted and walked off.

Every Christmas present I gave my wife the first year we were dating. To be fair, my sister stole it all for me, she was on a shoplifting kick and offered to steal anything I wanted. She was good, I will always remember that. CD keys from target when I was younger, pre-order codes from traded in game cases at gamestop. Once when I worked at gamestop we had pre-order bonuses for three free songs for rock band. Once I found out that they just credited money to your account for three songs, I took them all.

Also used to process my trade in games as returns for full credit as pre-owned. I did this specifically becuase I told a customer that I couldn't return his used game without a recipet and my DM called me and yelled at me and said "we are a multimillion dollar company, you think we give a shit if someone gets full store credit. I don't want to hear another complaint like this again." so from there, I did it for myself. Fuck you Troy

Top Bottom