• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philippines needs modern arms to fight ISIS, Duterte tells Putin, asks him for help

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte told Russian leader Vladimir Putin that the Philippines needs modern arms to fight Islamic State and that he expected Russian support.

Duterte also said he had to halt his visit to Moscow and return home as there was still fighting with ISIS's militants there.

Putin said he hoped the conflict in the Philippines would be resolved "with minimum losses". He also said there were the prospects for economic and military cooperation between Moscow and Manila.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russis-philippines-idUSKBN18J2XF

Polarburr

Filipino here residing in Manila. They're not ISIS. They're just terrorists seeking recognition from ISIS. Just wanted to clarify that. Haha

Filipino here residing in Manila. They're not ISIS. They're just terrorists seeking recognition from ISIS. Just wanted to clarify that. Haha

Yeah thats pretty much what my relatives living in the Philippines told me but I wasn't sure if something changed as I heard about the martial law in Mindanao yesterday .

Didn't Abu Sayyaf or whatever they call themselves these days pledge allegiance to ISIS? I've heard some pretty nasty things about them, though they seem to be more into kidnapping than launching suicide attacks.

Polarburr

Didn't Abu Sayyaf or whatever they call themselves these days pledge allegiance to ISIS? I've heard some pretty nasty things about them, though they seem to be more into kidnapping than launching suicide attacks.

Hmm. Haven't heard anything about that.

But yeah. Abu Sayyaf has been a problem for as long as I can remember. And yes, they're more into the kidnapping than bombings, shootings, etc. (Which actually I've been wanting to discuss here but I can't make a thread yet. How come shootings are more prominent in the US than in the Philippines. Oh well. I'll make a thread in due time.)

Sunster

Hmm. Haven't heard anything about that.

But yeah. Abu Sayyaf has been a problem for as long as I can remember. And yes, they're more into the kidnapping than bombings, shootings, etc. (Which actually I've been wanting to discuss here but I can't make a thread yet. How come shootings are more prominent in the US than in the Philippines. Oh well. I'll make a thread in due time.)

US is #1 in mass shootings and Philippines is actually #2. We have more guns so that's probably why. Also, Abu Sayyaf and Maute are both linked to ISIS or at least every news article that mentions them here in US says they are.

Polarburr

US is #1 in mass shootings and Philippines is actually #2. We have more guns so that's probably why. Also, Abu Sayyaf and Maute are both linked to ISIS or at least every news article that mentions them here in US says they are.

Really? #2? I honestly have never ever heard of any mass shooting here in the 20yrs I've lived here. I mean, random shootings in some shady alley, sure. But school/mall shootings? Never.

And again, they're not an official affiliate of ISIS. A lot of false information is being spread in social media that's why our local news outlets are trying to make sure false info isn't being shared.

At the end of the day ISIS is an ideology that is spreading all over the world. Most of these terrorist attacks are done by life long citizens of the country that they terrorize. They had been converted to the ISIS ideology. While this group is likely not coordinating anything with ISIS, they still possess the same dangerous ideology. I'm rather surprised that ISIS wouldn't work with them though given their support. Perhaps ISIS is only concerned with attacking the west and doesn't care about the rest of the world.

Polarburr

At the end of the day ISIS is an ideology that is spreading all over the world. Most of these terrorist attacks are done by life long citizens of the country that they terrorize. They had been converted to the ISIS ideology. While this group is likely not coordinating anything with ISIS, they still possess the same dangerous ideology. I'm rather surprised that ISIS wouldn't work with them though given their support. Perhaps ISIS is only concerned with attacking the west and doesn't care about the rest of the world.

I'm honestly surprised as well. There's been talk of ISIS attacking my country. And when it happens, we're fucked. In no way is my country ready for such attack. I mean.. Have you seen how we handled the hostages in the local bus 7 years ago? Pathetic. Watch it on youtube if you guys haven't seen it. Laughable at best.

Zok310

Banned
the world doesn't need any of that mess spreading anymore, not sure what is going on exactly in the Philippines though

That shit is about to collapse, a mad man leading the country and Isis on the the streets . Feel bad for the people of the Philippines, got a hard road ahead of them.

Really? #2? I honestly have never ever heard of any mass shooting here in the 20yrs I've lived here. I mean, random shootings in some shady alley, sure. But school/mall shootings? Never.

And again, they're not an official affiliate of ISIS. A lot of false information is being spread in social media that's why our local news outlets are trying to make sure false info isn't being shared.

Does a firefight that kills 44 police commandos count as a mass shooting?

hiro_x

#2? Living here for 31 years and I have never heard of mass shootings the same way I hear about shootings in the US.

Shootings between military and terrorist? Yes - but inside public places and schools? No.

Piggus

#2? Living here for 31 years and I have never heard of mass shootings the same way I hear about shootings in the US.

Shootings between military and terrorist? Yes - but inside public places and schools? No.

The definition of a "mass shooting" doesn't necessarily mean it has to be in a public place. Most mass shootings don't end up on international or even national news.

Polarburr

The definition of a "mass shooting" doesn't necessarily mean it has to be in a public place. Most mass shootings don't end up on international or even national news.

Ah then I need to correct myself. I wanna understand why there's more public shootings (school/malls/city) in the US as opposed to the Philippines despite the hypothetical shooter in the Phil can easily get away and vanish for good as well as easy access to weapons. You can literally buy in shady markets.

Sunster

i swear i read that somewhere. I'm looking for the article now but can't find.

edit: found it

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-united-states-mass-shooting-20150824-story.html

Since 1966, mass shootings have occurred in the United States at a rate five times higher than in the Philippines, the country that ranked second in mass shootings, says a new study, which explores why the U.S. so outstrips other countries in such crimes. (David J. Phillip / Associated Press)]

Hermii

I guess it's a lot easier to get support and weapons from other countries if they say they are fighting isis.

Piggus

Ah then I need to correct myself. I wanna understand why there's more public shootings (school/malls/city) in the US as opposed to the Philippines despite the hypothetical shooter in the Phil can easily get away and vanish for good as well as easy access to weapons. You can literally buy in shady markets.

It's probably influenced by a lot of different factors. Culture, easy access to guns, a lingering stigma towards mental health issues, etc. The Columbine shooting set an unfortunate benchmark for would-be suicidal maniacs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Translation: Our police need M16s to kill weed smokers

Russia is not in the M16 business and the Philippines has a huge number of small firearm manufacturers that could easily cater the military.

I very much doubt Duterte wants more rifles.

Top Bottom