• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port

The worst thing about GTAIV is that right when the modding community fixed and even improved upon the game thanks to ENB Series, Rockstar decided to patch it and completely break it. To this day, none of the visual mods work right on the latest version of GTAIV (which fucks over all Steam copies)

Lothars

bigace33 said:
With the right hardware GTA 4 looks and plays amazing on PC. I have it on 360 and PC and the PC version kills it in every aspect.
I agree, GTA 4 isn't that bad of a port but it required pretty beefy hardware when it was released.

Zimbardo

LA Noire probably didn't sell that well on consoles so they threw a PC port together (easy to do) to try and milk as much cash out of it as possible to make up for lackluster sales.

Red Dead Redemption sold well on consoles, so that's probably why they didn't feel the need to release that on PC.

lameness.

Bear

I liked LA Noire enough to double dip on the master race version, but I don't think this is it. Maybe patches (and mods?) will fix it up somewhat but those sound like some very serious issues, and an FPS cap on a PC game is never a good indication.

hemtae

Zimbardo said:
LA Noire probably didn't sell that well on consoles so they threw a PC port together (easy to do) to try and milk as much cash out of it as possible to make up for lackluster sales.

Red Dead Redemption sold well on consoles, so that's probably why they didn't feel the need to release that on PC.

lameness.

Last I checked, LA Noire had shipped 4 million copies, which is pretty good. Not RDR good, but still respectable.

NBtoaster

Quicksilver4648 said:
While I would still buy RDR (again) if it was ever ported to the PC, this is still terrible. They simply took the console versions and pushed them onto a computer without any changes.

Thats standard practice.

ArjanN

Chrysalis said:
So the question is: is the free dlc enough to make up for the crappiness of the port?

If you haven't played it before, yes.

It's nowhere near as bad a port as something like Saints Row 2 or DMC3. IMO It's probably a bit better than GTAIV PC was on release.

hlhbk said:
If this is the quality we could have expected from a RDR port I am glad they didn't port it! That game is so amazing and it would have been a huge diservice to it for those who only got to play it on PC to get a terrible port!
Well I suspect a RDR port would have been better since it was based on the GTA IV engine and GTA IV was OK on the PC.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Chrysalis said:
So the question is: is the free dlc enough to make up for the crappiness of the port?

No. It's the product of a mistreated unwanted adopted ex-orphan. Rockstar porting is a total joke, wait until it's $2.99-$5.99 on a steam sale.

It's a shame to think they have to optimize a game to work on consoles at a reasonable rate yet couldn't care less how it runs on pc and puts in little to no effort and have learnt nothing since the abortion of the previous GTAIV pc versions were released.

Chrysalis

ArjanN said:
If you haven't played it before, yes.

It's nowhere near as bad a port as something like Saints Row 2 or DMC3. IMO It's probably a bit better than GTAIV PC was on release.

Well- I've decided that it's worth playing on SOMETHING. But I have a PS3. Is the DLC good enough to abandon the lead platform and get this on PC? Or is the best content the main campaign stuff?

DangerStepp

la-noire-pc-c.jpg

What's with that murkey, blotchy outline around that tall building to the very right?

bengraven

Now I actually hope RDR doesn't come out for PC.

Or if it would, which it won't, I would expect I would wait a year or so for patches.

hlhbk

Lothars said:
I agree, GTA 4 isn't that bad of a port but it required pretty beefy hardware when it was released.

My hardware now still doesn't run GTA 4 well at all. It's terribly optimized.

schmalz

I was too busy to play the game when it came out. Then they announced the PC version and I figured I'd pick it up when I had some time. Now I'm wondering if the game is even worth my time at this point.

schmalz

edited double post

I should say that I did play the first hour or so and I enjoyed it. Wasn't sure how the game would stay compelling for 10+ hours though.

hlhbk

schmalz said:
I was too busy to play the game when it came out. Then they announced the PC version and I figured I'd pick it up when I had some time. Now I'm wondering if the game is even worth my time at this point.

Don't get me wrong the game is a great game, and Team Bondi should be applauded for it. Unfortunatly they weren't in charge of the port.

hlhbk

Oh lovely. So I was just playing through a driving scene where I had to drive all over town, and every minute or so as the next area loads the FPS goes from 30 to 15 for 3 seconds.

Rockman-X

Neo Member
Added to my "do not buy" list.
Well, my wallet says thanks!

To be fair, wasn't THAT interested in the game before, but now I'm not interested at all.

Santar said:
Reading this makes me glad I made the decision to preorder Max Payne 3 for the ps3 and not the pc
Why?

A day & date PC version should certainly be better than a much later port made by a different developer.

Lothars said:

Nah, all it needed was an Nvidia card with the beta drivers they released at the time, and people to drop there expectations of graphical settings to near if a little better than console settings.

ArjanN

Hey You said:
Why are people comparing this to Mafia II? Two completly different companies owned by Take 2.

Because it's also an open world game with a setting that takes place sort of around the same time. (Yes, I know it doesn't really make sense)

Massa

Not surprising that LA Noire runs on a shitty codebase given the working conditions of the people who made it.

hlhbk

Ogs said:
Nah, all it needed was an Nvidia card with the beta drivers they released at the time, and people to drop there expectations of graphical settings to near if a little better than console settings.

And what is the excuse for it running like shit now?

Eusis

Ogs said:
I imagine what it needed most was either a VERY high end rig or simply time. The benchmarks on i7s then were crazy, and now a lot of people have i5s/i7s that smoke those, so it's probably the best version to grab for anyone who has a newer medium to high end computer.

And SR2 is definitely one of the shoddiest modern ports I've played, but Gentlemen of the Row makes it very worthwhile at a discount at worst. Hope they can update power tools to the point where it's guaranteed to fix the speedup bug though, especially since i5 2500ks seem to be weird about the settings.

That's unfortunate. I was interested in picking it up on PC, but I guess I'll pick it up on the 360 in the future. Or a super cheap Steam sale.

Digishine

Banned
once again
PC_Gaming_Master_Race_fixed.jpg

Enjoy the game guys

But to be honest what do you expect from Rockstar Games for pc ?

Look at gta iv when it came out for pc

Deadbeat

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
I've already convinced myself that it won't.
or if it does it will not only be a shittier port than DMC 3, it will have gfwl, rockstar social club, and a bunch of drm of some sort.

Guri

One tip to get better performance: Put "-str" on the command line in Graphics Settings. It stands for "single thread renderer", and there is a bug with multi thread.

Top Bottom